Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Next year I will (chose the closest most likely option)
Watch live on BBC or Sky depending which it is on. 36 32.73%
Watch only BBC live or delayed/highlights. 48 43.64%
Watch only BBC live (live or not bother). 16 14.55%
Not watch, it is over for me. 10 9.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 16 Jan 2012, 14:35 (Ref:3012338)   #1476
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
I read recently that the BBC tried to get Eddie Irvine to join them. That would have given a definite 'edge' to their offering.
Well he'd have plenty to say. Nothing worthwhile, but hey that isn't the style nowadays is it. It would stop me watching the build up.
Old 16 Jan 2012, 14:40 (Ref:3012339)   #1477
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
What irks me so much about all of this is that the overpaid and over-resourced BBC management are using public funds to do all the above and [from what I can see so far] are answerable to nobody.
You read a lot about how they are overpaid etc... I see a BBC that provides fantastic diversity and great quality. For not that much. Great job.

Could it be better, of course it could. Although when assessing you have to be careful not to just consider what could be better for yourself. However, IMHO, there is more danger in a radical shake up. Risk and reward. The BBC is almost there, no great change needed.
Old 16 Jan 2012, 15:00 (Ref:3012344)   #1478
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
You read a lot about how they are overpaid etc... I see a BBC that provides fantastic diversity and great quality. For not that much. Great job.

Could it be better, of course it could. Although when assessing you have to be careful not to just consider what could be better for yourself. However, IMHO, there is more danger in a radical shake up. Risk and reward. The BBC is almost there, no great change needed.
That's certainly one opinion on the situation. Clearly one that I, and many others, wouldn't agree with however. Unfortunately we're unable to vote with our wallets on the matter.
Old 16 Jan 2012, 16:18 (Ref:3012390)   #1479
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I hear that Virgin subscribers are now able to get the Sky F1 channel with their Sky sports package.

Edit: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97040
Old 16 Jan 2012, 16:31 (Ref:3012395)   #1480
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
To be fair to the Beeb, when they negotiated for the contract, they didn't know that the government was going to cut back its budget by £66 million or whatever the figure is.
was it not also negotiated before the full fail scale of the economy was occuring? perhaps they were counting on higher revenues from selling on rights and so on that simply didn't materialise.

i don't think we can blame auntie for outbidding itself. not considering what's happened to both the sport and the global economy since. such is life, there's plenty of other things to get riled up about.
Old 16 Jan 2012, 17:50 (Ref:3012441)   #1481
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
To be fair to the Beeb, they should be prudent with their expenditure as any commercially run organization would have to be... !
As with all tax-like things it wouldn't work if you could. I disagree with a lot of things that my tax is spent on. I don't use most of it either. But voting with my wallet isn't, and shouldn't be, an option. Annoying, isn't it!?

One for PF? Shall I move this bit there?

Last edited by Adam43; 16 Jan 2012 at 18:00.
Old 16 Jan 2012, 18:24 (Ref:3012471)   #1482
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
As with all tax-like things it wouldn't work if you could. I disagree with a lot of things that my tax is spent on. I don't use most of it either. But voting with my wallet isn't, and shouldn't be, an option. Annoying, isn't it!?

One for PF? Shall I move this bit there?
Probably best to do it there at some stage. You and I always seem to end up on opposite sites of the great BBC debate
Old 17 Jan 2012, 10:56 (Ref:3012770)   #1483
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Damon Hill is to be part of the Sky team. He will be on hand to give insight into the practice sessions, qualifying and the race itself. Very good news indeed.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97055
Old 17 Jan 2012, 11:10 (Ref:3012775)   #1484
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Only on the races the BBC won't be showing live (apart from Silverstone)...

Will this make the audience sway over to Sky?
Old 17 Jan 2012, 13:31 (Ref:3012844)   #1485
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Skysports F1 apparently filming something with Alice Powell today as well according to Keith Huewen's twitter
Old 17 Jan 2012, 14:19 (Ref:3012864)   #1486
henners88
Veteran

Wales
henners88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down F0rce View Post
Only on the races the BBC won't be showing live (apart from Silverstone)...

Will this make the audience sway over to Sky?
I highly doubt many will be swayed into digging deeper into their pockets because Damon has joined Sky for some of the season. He did pieces for the BBC in the past and although it was nice to have have as a guest, he didn't bring anything extra special IMO. He too thinks the deal is fantastic for the fans, but its puzzling why all the celebs, ex drivers, and broadcasters think its fantastic, yet the majority of the fans don't even at this late stage? Do they know something we don't?
Old 17 Jan 2012, 14:27 (Ref:3012869)   #1487
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by henners88 View Post
yet the majority of the fans don't even at this late stage? Do they know something we don't?
Depends if you have Sky as to wether you think its a fantastic deal

I'm not sure a little poll on a motorsport forum could form a majority opinion.
Old 17 Jan 2012, 14:28 (Ref:3012870)   #1488
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I think you're either a Sky F1 man or you're not given the money involved.

I doubt if Sky promised to channel Fangio at a Sky seance it would be enough to get people to part with that type of cash if you weren't willing to do so in the first place.
Old 17 Jan 2012, 14:34 (Ref:3012876)   #1489
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Depends if you have Sky as to wether you think its a fantastic deal

I'm not sure a little poll on a motorsport forum could form a majority opinion.
I think the level of negative coverage the deal has had in the press combined with the proposed viewing figures from Sky suggest a significant majority of fans will only be watching the BBC, so I think that speaks for itself in terms of a majority opinion.

I'm sure some people with access to Sky like myself are still considering the damage this deal will have on the interest level in the UK regardless of the fact others in the same boat are selfish with the notion they have it, so sod everyone else.
Old 17 Jan 2012, 16:30 (Ref:3012915)   #1490
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I've always thought that whilst it was a good idea to get the debate started early, the poll itself was premature because we didn't know all the facts.

It would be interesting to have another now that that we do.
Old 17 Jan 2012, 19:06 (Ref:3012975)   #1491
Kunal Shah
Rookie

Kunal Shah should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Google And YouTube Can Solve The F1 TV Rights Saga

Well, here's where Formula1 can possibly learn from the Indian Premier League.

I have written a blog post on how 'Google and YouTube can solve the Formula1 TV rights saga' which clearly affects the UK TV viewers more than anyone else I know. Do read and share your thoughts.
Old 17 Jan 2012, 20:29 (Ref:3013024)   #1492
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Damon Hill is to be part of the Sky team. He will be on hand to give insight into the practice sessions, qualifying and the race itself. Very good news indeed.

Damon! I'm going to cancel sky and resubscribe this is such good news. Damon being on has forced me to do this.

What?!

He was on the old F1digital+ and was very good. As well as the studio comment they offered an alternate commentary team with Damon as part of it. It was a more relax chatty type affair. Very good too. Of course you had to not listen to Ben for that.
Old 17 Jan 2012, 21:19 (Ref:3013061)   #1493
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Oh dear, not sure Damon was a good edition to the team. He was incredibly dull when he attempted to cover for Brundle a couple of years ago at the Hungarian GP (I think). Obviously this is a different role, but not convinced his voice is made for TV. I could change my mind of course.
Old 17 Jan 2012, 21:23 (Ref:3013064)   #1494
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by henners88 View Post
Oh dear, not sure Damon was a good edition to the team. He was incredibly dull when he attempted to cover for Brundle a couple of years ago at the Hungarian GP (I think). Obviously this is a different role, but not convinced his voice is made for TV. I could change my mind of course.
He's not doing commentary/summariser work though is he? He's doing the magazine and comment style stuff.....
Old 17 Jan 2012, 23:38 (Ref:3013130)   #1495
bravo
Racer

England
North East England
bravo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I hear that Virgin subscribers are now able to get the Sky F1 channel with their Sky sports package.

Edit: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97040
Yes they can. For £22.50 a month extra on top of what they pay now - and they'll only get standard definition.

£270 for 10 races in SD on top of the free to view HD races on the BBC. I'd rather skip some of the more boring circuits and go watch the races live.
Old 18 Jan 2012, 00:26 (Ref:3013142)   #1496
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

I like Damon very much and normally I would be as enthusiastic as everyone else about this. But the other day I watched an interview he did with Peter Windsor on The Flying Lap. I was expecting him to be good, but was disappointed. It may be that he doesn't like Windsor, but if that's the case he shouldn't have agreed to go on the show.

He was very softly spoken, so much so that the mike was almost in his face. He seemed to think before every reply, whereas on TV he will need think on his feet more and be positive. I hope it works out, because I like him as I say, but I'm wondering.
Old 18 Jan 2012, 01:14 (Ref:3013157)   #1497
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I watched that as well Strider. Unfortunately most of the time the audio is rubbish, and dear old Peter has a tendency to interrupt all the time..

I think Damon will be fine, he is very articulate and quite knowledgeable, I thought the interview was pretty good..
Old 18 Jan 2012, 02:14 (Ref:3013165)   #1498
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post

I doubt if Sky promised to channel Fangio at a Sky seance it would be enough to get people to part with that type of cash if you weren't willing to do so in the first place.

That had me in stitches, bravo!

However the news that Damons going to be part of it seriously makes me reconsider. I was going to ditch my Sky account in feb/march and just get Eurosport player rather than stump up another ten pounds a month, but Damon is such a superb person to listen to its almost worth the money, he has all his Fathers dry wit but in a more quietly spoken package and I for one cant get enough of it. He is also a thoroughly decent human being, and the complete anithesis to EJ. Then again theres alway all the illegal streams on the Internet, I am sure people will go out of their way to provide the streams. Are Radio5 definately going to provide live, full coverage for every race?
Old 18 Jan 2012, 02:18 (Ref:3013168)   #1499
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghinzani View Post
Are Radio5 definately going to provide live, full coverage for every race?
Yeah. But that means having listen to James Allen............
Old 18 Jan 2012, 05:03 (Ref:3013190)   #1500
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yeah. But that means having listen to James Allen............
oh yeah Crufty has gone somewhere else, Im confused as to where mind. Is Legard still odd jobbing at the Beeb on lower league football and Darts?

Tags
outrage, sky