Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Closed Thread

Old 22 Jul 2011, 20:11 (Ref:2929916)   #351
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by on_to_it View Post
Do you really think anyone has actually paid for one? I would doubt that very much.
Hi JDI, long time!

My understanding is that the V8ST will be at Speedshow today

Looking forward to seeing it then!
Old 23 Jul 2011, 00:46 (Ref:2929992)   #352
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJJ View Post
Lets not forget the part when he said most of the field are weekend people and can't afford 200k, what makes you think they can afford to upgrade to the new nzv8.

He also moaned that all the big names were gone...... maybe because they dont want to race with weekend warriors?

He may want to remember who started the nzv8s cars in the first place.
so the weekend warriors should do nothing?

maybe you should remember why NZV8s were formed in the first place
Old 23 Jul 2011, 00:57 (Ref:2929996)   #353
V8madness
Rookie

V8madness should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just returned form the speed show, you could cut the tension with a knife. The Supertourer is at the speedshow and the unvail of the NZv8 with all the media present, NzV8 has produced a very good looking car with plenty to come.
Old 23 Jul 2011, 05:30 (Ref:2930024)   #354
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
I went to the Speedshow too, saw the unveiling - funny that the NZV8 and the V8ST were opposite each other, kind of eyeballing each other.

For a car that "wasn't there" the V8ST looked and sounded bloody fantastic!

If you wanted to compare the two, well, you wouldn't really. There simply was no comparison. Just LOVED the sound of that 7 litre race bred V8 revving up, gave me goosebumps!

Can't wait, can't wait!!
Old 23 Jul 2011, 07:52 (Ref:2930034)   #355
DJJ
Racer

DJJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
so the weekend warriors should do nothing?

maybe you should remember why NZV8s were formed in the first place
It's now past that, I just wonder how money of those can afford the new NZV8. not many I would say.
Old 23 Jul 2011, 11:20 (Ref:2930083)   #356
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
It's now past that, I just wonder how money of those can afford the new NZV8. not many I would say.
It really didn't seem that different to the old NZV8 I have to say - just looks like a bit of a rush job with the same underpinnings as the old one. Same engines even.

The ST, though, is a whole different animal

Last edited by Goat Boy; 23 Jul 2011 at 11:32.
Old 23 Jul 2011, 11:21 (Ref:2930084)   #357
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
It depends how you define "afford". Would you say these guys are better off with an old heap that keeps breaking gearboxes, diffs, shocks and so on, that needs $45k plus spent on an engine rebuild, or move forward? Forward to a car that has components capable of lasting a season with perhaps a crate engine that can do the same. Less parts to be carried for a car that can be run with a smaller team. I can see savings there!

And who was waffling on about "weekend warriors"? Virtually everyone in Tier 1 has a business or a job to worry about week-days, and if they are lucky they get to put a helmet on in the weekends and go racing. Hello?
Old 23 Jul 2011, 11:30 (Ref:2930088)   #358
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
In the ST's you have Johnny Mac, Boothy and Murph would all be classed as professional drivers. Kayne Scott as well I think?

For the NZV8's I am speculating that Foggy would be? Not sure of that though.
Old 23 Jul 2011, 11:53 (Ref:2930091)   #359
DJJ
Racer

DJJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by on_to_it View Post
It depends how you define "afford". Would you say these guys are better off with an old heap that keeps breaking gearboxes, diffs, shocks and so on, that needs $45k plus spent on an engine rebuild, or move forward? Forward to a car that has components capable of lasting a season with perhaps a crate engine that can do the same. Less parts to be carried for a car that can be run with a smaller team. I can see savings there!

And who was waffling on about "weekend warriors"? Virtually everyone in Tier 1 has a business or a job to worry about week-days, and if they are lucky they get to put a helmet on in the weekends and go racing. Hello?
I know the costs and I know that Anguss could not afford a ST, I should of expanded on that weekend warrior thing. Drivers that want to race without those who make up the numbers getting in the way and causing damage.

I agree about the costs, having to crack test the gears after every meeting and all.

Seeing as the new owner of the new NZV8 prototype is a stickler for the rules, it's kind of funny his son would not run a ford badge on his grill as is needed in the rules. You know it may seem a small thing but rules and all

Those that can afford it and are over all the bull**** that comes with the NZV8s and the TMC have moved on.
Old 23 Jul 2011, 12:52 (Ref:2930103)   #360
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
It really didn't seem that different to the old NZV8 I have to say - just looks like a bit of a rush job with the same underpinnings as the old one. Same engines even.

didn't NZV8 say that the current running gear can fit in the new car? didn't they also say they haven't yet confirmed which Ford and GM engines they will use in the future? remember the car is an untested prototype.
Old 23 Jul 2011, 12:55 (Ref:2930106)   #361
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
ps/ has anyone informed Bargwanna.. that he's only considered a weekend warrior compared to the ST boys? or so i read
Old 23 Jul 2011, 16:42 (Ref:2930155)   #362
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
didn't NZV8 say that the current running gear can fit in the new car? didn't they also say they haven't yet confirmed which Ford and GM engines they will use in the future? remember the car is an untested prototype.
The thing I don't get about V8 ST is why they didn't also source a Ford crate engine because I'm having a hard time seeing a Ford Falcon FG with a GM bred motor in it.
Old 23 Jul 2011, 21:08 (Ref:2930256)   #363
V8madness
Rookie

V8madness should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Just to set you staright Goatboy, The only components carried over from the Old NZV8 is the Brakes( Because it was brought in as a controlled part), and the engine at this stage as to keep cost down with future development. Its all passing on the saving to keep the sport alive(Look at the porsche gt3 series).As for the "bit of a rush job" I dont understand.
http://www.nzv8s.co.nz/default.asp?pageid=11&newsid=589
Old 23 Jul 2011, 21:28 (Ref:2930258)   #364
GHOGH
Racer

GHOGH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ST engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
The thing I don't get about V8 ST is why they didn't also source a Ford crate engine because I'm having a hard time seeing a Ford Falcon FG with a GM bred motor in it.

With NZ's location being half a world away from the motorsport engine production facilities, it makes sense to have just the one engine.
(Possum Bourne's mechanics emergency trips to Japan from Australia to obtain subaru rally engine parts and transport of engine parts as passenger cabin area luggage so the parts don't go missing are epic)
If you look on the ST website, there will be a blue logo cover on the engine for the Ford car. Is there a Ford engine with the performance history and reliability of the LS7.R engine ?

I think you will find with the NZ jet sprint boats there is a GM engine product preference.

Is that an American phrase ' Build a bridge etc' ?
Old 23 Jul 2011, 22:54 (Ref:2930275)   #365
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
and what part of the world do the V8SC teams get their engines from? hmmm

Pat Dillon doesn't seem to have any issues running a Ford engine in his Jet Sprint? then again.. i thought engine choice was more of a personally choice thing. i'll have to make sure to ask Rivers about the disadvantages of running a Ford engine the next time i see him
Old 24 Jul 2011, 01:03 (Ref:2930291)   #366
Point2
Rookie

Point2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Viewed both today at speedshow

Well I took a look at the new BNTV8 and the V8ST today at the speedshow.
Both new designs are looking great and are finally looking like race cars and not Taxis from years gone by.

However I like a few others around are in the market for race cars at present.
I have raced under TMSC and IRC and even won a NZ series (SS2000)
We ran GT2 under IRC and even then TMSC and IRC where at wars with each other.

I personally will now sit tight for 12-24 months to not only see what happens with these 2 classes but also to see what happens to NZ motorsport in general.

NZV8. vs V8ST
GT1. Vs Sports sedans
Honda cup vs SS2000 and Honda challenge

There is no point buying a car at this present time until these battles have been fought, and the new premier class has been decided.
Only then will a tier 2 class and then clubsport be decided.

Until then we watch and wait for the big dollar boys to battle it for bragging rights
Old 24 Jul 2011, 01:46 (Ref:2930302)   #367
Point2
Rookie

Point2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Exhibit A

http://www.3news.co.nz/V8s-kick-up-F...0/Default.aspx
Old 24 Jul 2011, 02:58 (Ref:2930316)   #368
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOGH View Post
If you look on the ST website, there will be a blue logo cover on the engine for the Ford
Assuming Ford allows NZST to badge the engine... we know Holden are in, how's Ford feel about the whole thing?
Old 24 Jul 2011, 03:20 (Ref:2930318)   #369
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
"The new generation cars will run the same engine specs as the current cars, with Ford engines in Ford cars and Holden engines in Holden cars. There is the option of some new generation engines becoming available but they are unlikely to be eligible until the 2012-13 championship season, with appropriate parity restrictions.”

That's what I was talking about as a rush-job. Engines are half the issue I think.

Anyway, best of luck to them, it's a long time overdue but I know where I will be going when race time comes around...
Old 24 Jul 2011, 03:53 (Ref:2930324)   #370
brown dog
Racer

brown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbrown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
"The new generation cars will run the same engine specs as the current cars, with Ford engines in Ford cars and Holden engines in Holden cars. There is the option of some new generation engines becoming available but they are unlikely to be eligible until the 2012-13 championship season, with appropriate parity restrictions.”

That's what I was talking about as a rush-job. Engines are half the issue I think.

Anyway, best of luck to them, it's a long time overdue but I know where I will be going when race time comes around...
I was told way back, when the "Ceprnich NZV8" was on the drawing board, (before it was "plucked") that the intention was to run the existing engines and brakes. This was to help offset the cost of the new car, by utilising some good components from the existing cars. Someone who is in the know will no doubt correct me if I am wrong, but that was my understanding of the situation.

Must admit though, if I was given the choice of a Paul Ceprnich designed car, vs. a Derek Mitchell designed car then it would be no contest, one of them is designed by a race car engineer with some serious credentials to back it up, the other was designed (I use that word loosely here) by a panelbeater.
Old 24 Jul 2011, 04:29 (Ref:2930325)   #371
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
the panelbeater work isn't half bad though. always been a fan of the MRX pre 65 Nova and of course the Monaro.
Old 24 Jul 2011, 04:35 (Ref:2930326)   #372
brown dog
Racer

brown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbrown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sure the panel work is quite nice, but he is not an engineer by any stretch, and his business acumen is "questionable" to put it mildly. A catalogue of prior disasters which I won't go into detail about here.
Old 24 Jul 2011, 05:14 (Ref:2930329)   #373
MacrosNZ
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
MacrosNZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some FEA analysis of the spaceframe would be interesting to see. I'd love to know what hub to hub stiffness it was optimised for.
Old 24 Jul 2011, 07:00 (Ref:2930339)   #374
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
NZV8 should bin it if it's so bad
Old 24 Jul 2011, 09:55 (Ref:2930356)   #375
brown dog
Racer

Quote:
NZV8 should bin it if it's so bad
If I were NZV8 I would be trying really hard to get the other chassis back, that would kill two birds with the one stone
Closed Thread