Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Next year I will (chose the closest most likely option)
Watch live on BBC or Sky depending which it is on. 36 32.73%
Watch only BBC live or delayed/highlights. 48 43.64%
Watch only BBC live (live or not bother). 16 14.55%
Not watch, it is over for me. 10 9.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 15 Sep 2012, 07:16 (Ref:3136199)   #2526
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think it maybe possible the get them for a little under £40.

This Fernando T-Shirt is only £18. http://sniffpetrol.shotdeadinthehead....aspx?pid=4519
Old 15 Sep 2012, 09:32 (Ref:3136236)   #2527
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I think it maybe possible the get them for a little under £40.

This Fernando T-Shirt is only £18. http://sniffpetrol.shotdeadinthehead....aspx?pid=4519
hardly official team merchandise !!

The most i've paid is £30 for a Red Bull t-shirt. most (at the British GP) are in the 25 quid region.
Old 15 Sep 2012, 16:22 (Ref:3136377)   #2528
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't want to see F1 changed too much, but FOM do need to get with the times when it comes to online material, and F1 drivers need to stop being such PR bots. The worst example of this is Hamilton, although I blame the media rather than the teams who decided he was too cocky and forged him a boring "the team did a great job as always" approach. Monaco last year was fun even if it was a silly comment because it was the kind of rant we all have in our more controversial loose tongue moments.
Old 16 Sep 2012, 00:06 (Ref:3136608)   #2529
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
I don't want to see F1 changed too much, but FOM do need to get with the times when it comes to online material, and F1 drivers need to stop being such PR bots. The worst example of this is Hamilton, although I blame the media rather than the teams who decided he was too cocky and forged him a boring "the team did a great job as always" approach. Monaco last year was fun even if it was a silly comment because it was the kind of rant we all have in our more controversial loose tongue moments.
Google Tony Stewart from NASCAR - his press conferences and general umm.... demeanor make for interesting and certainly not boring viewing!
Old 16 Sep 2012, 16:00 (Ref:3136848)   #2530
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Say something mildly controversial and you are berated on here by some. So you can see why they (or their sponsors) aren't keen.

I fear we are partly to blame. Although that can't be right as we must always look for blame elsewhere first, which is another disagreeable modern trait.
Old 16 Sep 2012, 21:58 (Ref:3136979)   #2531
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Say something mildly controversial and you are berated on here by some. So you can see why they (or their sponsors) aren't keen.

I fear we are partly to blame. Although that can't be right as we must always look for blame elsewhere first, which is another disagreeable modern trait.
It's not us. Us crying or not crying about Hamilton getting up to tricks doesn't even appear on any decision-makers radar.

There are some 'straight' sponsors who don't like any controversy but alot of sponsors like stand-out types that are mavericks and have a highly publicised off track social-life as long as it doesn't descend into depravity or criminality that puts your brand into disrepute. This, to tap the youth market.

The problem with being a 'character' and a maverick' and other off-track antics is that it usually hurts on track performance and upsets the focus required to sustain a championship campaign.

There's your tension. Team management want performance, the marketeers want a celebrity. The two can get in the way particularly as we are so media conscious as a society.
Old 17 Sep 2012, 19:33 (Ref:3137414)   #2532
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
You're right, some sponsors crave the 'crazy' guy. Red Bull for instance. And those that buy Red Bull will berate them for being straight laced, I guess.
Old 18 Sep 2012, 11:56 (Ref:3137770)   #2533
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Jake leaves BBC:
http://www.autosport.com/news/grapevine.php/id/102633

Oh how they cried when he 'betrayed' F1 with the Olympics. Oh how they will cry now he has betrayed the beloved BBC.

"But...but....he was my mate on the tele? wasn't he?" Nope, sorry, just climbing the ladder.

At least he has gone to football, gives me literally 0% chance of seeing him by chance. Phew!
Old 18 Sep 2012, 12:03 (Ref:3137773)   #2534
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
Jake leaves BBC:

Oh how they cried when he 'betrayed' F1 with the Olympics. Oh how they will cry now he has betrayed the beloved BBC.

"But...but....he was my mate on the tele? wasn't he?" Nope, sorry, just climbing the ladder.

At least he has gone to football, gives me literally 0% chance of seeing him by chance. Phew!
Not to mention, at least he hasn't gone to Sky.
Old 18 Sep 2012, 12:24 (Ref:3137784)   #2535
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Jake leaves BBC:

I think fairly well of him. Best of luck with his new adventures.

I think - and I'm not accusing anyone in particular of this - but I think if someone finds themselves gripped with
rage or feelings of 'betrayal' about any anchor moving to pastures anew - I think it's time they asked themselves some searching questions of themselves!
Old 18 Sep 2012, 12:37 (Ref:3137791)   #2536
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If ever there was a time for him to leave the BBC it was now.

Lets face it he got shafted on the Euros by not having the role that he expected.

The Olympics are once every 4 years, and the fact that he got to host a Home Olympics has to be a pinnacle of any Sports presenters career.

Given the announcement that he's to be a father, it's pretty obvious he wasn't going to want to continue globe trotting, and he has always stated that presenting Premiership football would be a dream.

I have to say that when you lay it out, it's not that much of a surprise.
Old 19 Sep 2012, 12:15 (Ref:3138433)   #2537
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Jake leaves BBC:

Good luck to Jake in his new venture. I thought he did an excellent job as anchor but his leaving won't affect my viewing of F1; as long as I can watch the race that's all I'm really concerned about.
Old 19 Sep 2012, 13:22 (Ref:3138492)   #2538
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
£15 - £20 I think's ok for a band t-shirt. An F1 team t-shirt's between £40 & £50, that's expensive.
I think it depends what shirts you get.

In the past, teams have had the bog standard printed, Fruit Of The Loom-esque t-shirts from around the £20-£25 mark and the football style, fancy material team shirts for the £40 mark. Furthermore, you could get fleeces and shirts with sewn on badges and some actual quality for even more cost. I assume it is much the same nowadays.

But frankly, grown men shouldn't be wearing this type of thing. I still have a Mild Seven Renault fleece in the cupboard and I shudder that I may have worn it out in public as a youngster. I am not sure I did, but the possibility is what scares me.
Old 19 Sep 2012, 13:44 (Ref:3138503)   #2539
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
I think it depends what shirts you get.

In the past, teams have had the bog standard printed, Fruit Of The Loom-esque t-shirts from around the £20-£25 mark and the football style, fancy material team shirts for the £40 mark. Furthermore, you could get fleeces and shirts with sewn on badges and some actual quality for even more cost. I assume it is much the same nowadays.

But frankly, grown men shouldn't be wearing this type of thing. I still have a Mild Seven Renault fleece in the cupboard and I shudder that I may have worn it out in public as a youngster. I am not sure I did, but the possibility is what scares me.
If you go to the F1.com site there are a few Fruit Of The Loom-esque t-shirts at £25 but most shirts seem to start at £40.

You're a brave man admiting to owning that fleece.
Old 19 Sep 2012, 13:49 (Ref:3138506)   #2540
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Oh god, me too. Benetton Team shirt (circa '95) that was a prized garment of mine. I wore it alot...........
Old 19 Sep 2012, 16:12 (Ref:3138559)   #2541
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

I have a BMW Williams waterproof jacket that the bread knife bought me whilst at the British GP in 2001, a bargin at £50 considering the prices nowadays. It is in my golf bag and comes out when it rains, although it will be officially retired after friday when i invest in a proper golfing jacket.

I have a couple of the McLaren team shirts, but i prefer the drivers gear. I still have a few Montoya t-shirts, one in a grey colour that has his name on it (and McLaren Mercades on one arm) but it's not in your face. Saying that, i have a Vettel tee which has his name and car on it.

So glad i don't live in "knowlesy land" as i wouldn't be able to wear half my t-shirts
Old 19 Sep 2012, 17:06 (Ref:3138576)   #2542
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I can't even wear half my own stuff.
Old 19 Sep 2012, 17:14 (Ref:3138580)   #2543
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Oh god, me too. Benetton Team shirt (circa '95) that was a prized garment of mine. I wore it alot...........
Ah yes, the mid-90's F1 gear really was a special brand of yuck. I think not just in terms of livery, but also cut and fit.

So a Rothmans Williams liveried item of clothing even manages to look utterly disgusting. Gigantic shirts that look like tents and spoil all hope of looking reasonable.

Back home I think I have a 1997 Jordan t-shirt. It is bright green.

Actually, I will be fair. Some stuff is alright. BMW-Williams stuff was really understated and smart for example. There is a guy at work who has an Arrows bag, plain black with the team logo (circa '98 I presume), which is also quite nice.

However most stuff is vile and plastered with hideous sponsors. The Red Bull stuff in particular.
Old 19 Sep 2012, 18:28 (Ref:3138614)   #2544
Mr V
Veteran

England
I have this top which i personally think is pretty cdool, but i'm not keen on shirts with sponsers logos all over them.
Attached Images

Old 20 Sep 2012, 01:04 (Ref:3138774)   #2545
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I think we will see them again in F1..
Old 5 Oct 2012, 00:27 (Ref:3146406)   #2546
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Has anyone else just got the message: "We are currently upgrading Sky Go, please check back in a few hours. Sorry for any inconvenience."
Old 5 Oct 2012, 08:32 (Ref:3146487)   #2547
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No, but Sky Go did go down here at about 3.00am and had to switch to 5 live and F1 live timing.....missed the last 1/2 hour of FP1.

I checked with my isp, no obvious problems so maybe it was at their end.

FP2 was fine.
Old 7 Oct 2012, 16:54 (Ref:3147694)   #2548
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Good coverage by the beeb earlier, slick etc.

My god i'll miss the humerous tactful and insightful Jake Humphrey.
Old 7 Oct 2012, 23:16 (Ref:3147909)   #2549
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Has anyone else just got the message: "We are currently upgrading Sky Go, please check back in a few hours. Sorry for any inconvenience."
No, but the gf uses Sky and this has happened before so one reason why I don't use Sky.
Old 9 Dec 2012, 20:09 (Ref:3176895)   #2550
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I see Bernie has awarded sky the best TV coverage award for GP's.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/104768

Did it realy deserve it or does Bernie like sky's money more than that any of other TV station covering F1.

I got the impression that they were no better than any other TV station but had a lot of filler to fill a dedicated channnel.
How can one say that coverage by a channel that has a small viewer ship is better than its compeditors in the same market.
P.S. I have not seen any recent viewing figures but sky's were quite small when compared to the BBC.
Closed Thread

Tags
outrage, sky