Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 28 Oct 2013, 11:32 (Ref:3324171)   #1
JorritVD
Veteran

Netherlands
Netherlands
JorritVD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2014 Blancpain Endurance Series

Couldn't find a 2014 BES topic, so I decided to start one.

http://autosport.nl/klasse/nieuws/21...viper-gt3-r-in

Team RaceArt will be the first European customer team that will enter an SRT Viper GT3-R. Roger Grouwels who drove with a Z4 GT3 in the 2012 BES will enter the Viper in three 24 hour races: Spa, Zolder and Barcelona. Also some selected BES races and Supercar Challenge races are planned. Btw, I would not be suprised if some BRCC-endurance races are also planned.

Roger Grouwels was one of the first Europeans which raced the previous racing Viper in Europe. Also known as the Rudolph Viper:

He also drove the Carworld Motorsport Viper at the 24 hours of Spa in 2004
Old 28 Oct 2013, 12:14 (Ref:3324201)   #2
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hoping to get to Silverstone and Spa next year.

Adding Vipers and Bentley's into the crowd should be amazing.
Old 29 Oct 2013, 10:54 (Ref:3324657)   #3
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If Vette could just add a GT3 to their arsenal then BP would become deafening.
Old 29 Oct 2013, 11:20 (Ref:3324669)   #4
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wewantourdarbyback View Post
If Vette could just add a GT3 to their arsenal then BP would become deafening.
There is a GT3 Vette... Callaway Europe have been given the go ahead from GM to develop a C7 GT3.
Old 29 Oct 2013, 12:14 (Ref:3324710)   #5
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
There is a GT3 Vette... Callaway Europe have been given the go ahead from GM to develop a C7 GT3.
Excellent, not sure how I missed that.
Old 29 Oct 2013, 22:45 (Ref:3324917)   #6
Miguel
Veteran

Netherlands
GLD
Miguel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMiguel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
What's the word on that car? Can we expect it to be racing at the start of next year?
Old 29 Oct 2013, 23:42 (Ref:3324931)   #7
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
No, Calloway's initial release about it said second half of the year at best.
Old 30 Oct 2013, 00:36 (Ref:3324946)   #8
Beryl
Veteran

Beryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBeryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Would Callaway even be interested in racing in Blancpain? I don't believe they've entered any international series since they left FIA GT3 Euro at the end of 2010.
Old 30 Oct 2013, 11:21 (Ref:3325060)   #9
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
This series is one of the sports car series success stories of the last few decades so I can't wait for 2014.

As Simmi said the Bentley and Viper coming in will further add to the massive competition. Be interesting to learn who enters them and what pro's get hired?

Mind you is the Bentley pencilled for FIA GT3 or Blancpain as a priority?
Old 30 Oct 2013, 11:29 (Ref:3325064)   #10
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
As Simmi said the Bentley and Viper coming in will further add to the massive competition.
...though there are some stories suggesting that a number of teams are sick of being mired somewhere way down the pack and consider a switch to the ELMS.
Old 30 Oct 2013, 12:57 (Ref:3325101)   #11
JorritVD
Veteran

Netherlands
Netherlands
JorritVD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
As Simmi said the Bentley and Viper coming in will further add to the massive competition. Be interesting to learn who enters them and what pro's get hired?
The Viper will not drive in the Pro class. Maybe only if Grouwels will not drive. The Viper will therefore only race in Pro-Am, or in the Gentlemen Trophy.
Old 30 Oct 2013, 13:18 (Ref:3325112)   #12
Miguel
Veteran

Netherlands
GLD
Miguel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMiguel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
No, Calloway's initial release about it said second half of the year at best.
Oh well, something to look forward to next year We'll have a new Bentley before that time any way.
Old 30 Oct 2013, 14:03 (Ref:3325128)   #13
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
What's the word on that car? Can we expect it to be racing at the start of next year?
A few months ago, there were some renderings released of the GT3 Spec Corvette.

Old 30 Oct 2013, 15:15 (Ref:3325148)   #14
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Ah, you beat me to it JorritVD!

Quote:
This series is one of the sports car series success stories of the last few decades so I can't wait for 2014.

Mind you is the Bentley pencilled for FIA GT3 or Blancpain as a priority?
It is a success story if I've ever seen one! Blancpain was simply managed wiser than FIA GT and therefore succeeded while the other one failed.

I'm thrilled to see new competitors in the new Viper GT3 and Bentley GT3, as well as hopefully the Callaway Corvette... perhaps later in the year.
Old 6 Nov 2013, 15:33 (Ref:3328044)   #15
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
Ah, you beat me to it JorritVD!

It is a success story if I've ever seen one! Blancpain was simply managed wiser than FIA GT and therefore succeeded while the other one failed.

I'm thrilled to see new competitors in the new Viper GT3 and Bentley GT3, as well as hopefully the Callaway Corvette... perhaps later in the year.
Has there been any official news on likely Bentley owners and drivers as yet?
Old 6 Nov 2013, 16:42 (Ref:3328080)   #16
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The one thing about Blancpain that annnoyed me is the extremly high number of Ferrari's. Me hope a couple of those teams will look to an SRT Viper, Bentey or Corvette in 2014...or Mercedes SLS too..thats my favorite GT3 car.
Old 6 Nov 2013, 17:21 (Ref:3328094)   #17
Félix
Veteran

MagnetON
Québec
Félix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFélix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Everybody's getting excited about Bentley as if there was going to be a dozen customer entires for next season. The plan, from what I understand, is for a factory/M-Sport entry with one/two cars (Kane-Smith are confirmed IIRC) for Blancpain, probably with other races/series if things go well. The plan for selling cars seems to be at least 6 months to a year away... so to me it's like speculating about who will buy customer Porsche P1s!
Old 15 Nov 2013, 13:57 (Ref:3331731)   #18
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.fiagtseries.com/news/deta...-sprint-series

2014 Schedule confirmed

April 12-13 3 Hours of Monza
May 24-25 3 Hours of Silverstone
June 28-29 3 Hours of Paul Ricard
July 23-27 24 Hours of Spa
September 20-21 Nurburgring 1000 km

Also, Blancpain GT Series title awarded to teams and drivers who compete in both the Sprint and Endurance Series (though titles also awarded separately for those series). Entry fees greatly reduced for teams competing in both series.
Old 16 Nov 2013, 11:06 (Ref:3332101)   #19
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
Would Callaway even be interested in racing in Blancpain? I don't believe they've entered any international series since they left FIA GT3 Euro at the end of 2010.
Given how hard SRO shafted them on the BoP I'm not surprised they haven't returned. If I was in their position, I'd probably be pretty reticent about returning to an SRO series.
Old 16 Nov 2013, 15:09 (Ref:3332149)   #20
Carbone
Rookie

Carbone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accident View Post
Given how hard SRO shafted them on the BoP I'm not surprised they haven't returned. If I was in their position, I'd probably be pretty reticent about returning to an SRO series.
It was not SRO who was responsible of the balance of performance to the FIA GT3 championship (2006-2012), but only the FIA.
Old 17 Nov 2013, 19:10 (Ref:3332658)   #21
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

seems to be 2 2014 threads?
Old 17 Nov 2013, 19:16 (Ref:3332662)   #22
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
seems to be 2 2014 threads?
One is for the Endurance series, the other is for what used to be the FIA GT Series this year, which now also has Blancpain sponsorship but keeps the sprint race format.
Old 26 Nov 2013, 14:14 (Ref:3336966)   #23
IndyMeister
Racer

IndyMeister should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ferrari-Mania in BES

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjessica09 View Post
The one thing about Blancpain that annnoyed me is the extremly high number of Ferrari's. Me hope a couple of those teams will look to an SRT Viper, Bentey or Corvette in 2014...or Mercedes SLS too..thats my favorite GT3 car.
I don't think this will happen: The saying goes that Ferraris are fairly gentle to drive. That makes them a good fit for part-time racers or bronze pilots.

If I was a team owner I'd ask myself this uestion: Why should I sell my well proven and fast Ferraris for more or less untested cars?

Don't get me wrong: I like diversity as well! But there have alway been GT3-projects that never were appealing for the masses. Alpina or Morgan for example.
Old 26 Nov 2013, 14:46 (Ref:3336987)   #24
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would love to see an SRO-SCCA PWC alliance to expand the Blancpain endurance series format to the USA. We could use a 24 hour GT3 race or 3/6 hour enduros at some classic A\American road circuits or even others that have not had much use lately like Salt Lake City, Portland, New Jersey MP
Old 26 Nov 2013, 15:53 (Ref:3337022)   #25
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
JoestForEver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjessica09 View Post
I would love to see an SRO-SCCA PWC alliance to expand the Blancpain endurance series format to the USA. We could use a 24 hour GT3 race or 3/6 hour enduros at some classic A\American road circuits or even others that have not had much use lately like Salt Lake City, Portland, New Jersey MP
Pirelli World Challenge has a much more diversified grid than the blancpain series and the classification as well as BoP is different. Probably too crowded and messy to race together, but I do agree that a joint non-championship race at the Long beach or St. Petersburg will be fantastic.