Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 15 Nov 2013, 14:00 (Ref:3331733)   #1
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
2014 Blancpain Sprint Series

The SRO has now extended their partnership with Blancpain to the FIA GT Series, renaming it to the Blancpain Sprint Series.

• April 18th – 21st : Coupes de Pâques, Nogaro, France
• May 17th – 18th : Brands Hatch, Great Britain
• July 4th – 6th : Zandvoort , the Netherlands
• August 22nd – 24th : Slovakia Ring, Slovakia*
• September 5th – 7th : Algarve, Portugal
• September 27th – 28th or October 4th – 5th : Navarra , Spain
• November 1st – 2nd : Baku World Challenge, Azerbaijan**

Same format, two 1-hour races.

100,000 Euro prize at each European race and 175,000 Euro prize for Baku World Challenge.

http://www.fiagtseries.com/news/deta...-sprint-series

Blancpain GT Series title awarded to teams and drivers who compete in both the Sprint and Endurance Series (though titles also awarded separately for those series). 100,000 Euro prize. Teams who enter both series have their entry fees greatly reduced.
Old 15 Nov 2013, 15:50 (Ref:3331781)   #2
urdragon
Veteran

Spain
Barcelona
urdragon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridurdragon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I miss some F1 venues at the Sprint series and Spa 24h invitations for the last year Sprint Series winners, but seems for the TV is better a full small venue than a legendary one empty, not so sure.

Good to see costs lowered for regaining the Portuguese Round again, even considering maybe a 2nd flyaway event would be cooler (Tough costier).
Old 15 Nov 2013, 15:55 (Ref:3331782)   #3
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Spa 24h invitations
Huh? When did Spa become an invitational event?
Old 15 Nov 2013, 16:42 (Ref:3331802)   #4
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
When over 70 entries attempt to enter?
Old 15 Nov 2013, 16:58 (Ref:3331812)   #5
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
When over 70 entries attempt to enter?
Wasn't that still on a come first, serve first basis? And even if it was an invitational, I doubt any team that was good enough to win the Sprint Series would have trouble getting in. I really don't see the attraction in putting up Spa 24 entries as some kind of reward for other series.
Old 15 Nov 2013, 19:40 (Ref:3331876)   #6
Richard117
Racer

Netherlands
Netherlands
Richard117 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRichard117 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No Zolder
Old 15 Nov 2013, 23:12 (Ref:3331964)   #7
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
First time I've said it about any GT sprint series in a while, but it actually looks promising. I wish they would have switched Slovakiaring to a more interesting Eastern European circuit like Hungaroring or perhaps even Brno. I miss that place.
Old 15 Nov 2013, 23:19 (Ref:3331968)   #8
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
In eastern Europe, I'd take Brno, Most, or Rijeka; I've never been much of a fan of the Hungaroring.

I could take or leave Zolder, but I don't live over there, and Belgium has Spa.

I wish they would swap out Nogaro for Dijon.
Old 15 Nov 2013, 23:33 (Ref:3331972)   #9
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard117 View Post
No Zolder
No reason to complain. Zandvoort in NL and even Brands Hatch is easy to visit - prefer that circuit over Zolder ;-)
Old 15 Nov 2013, 23:35 (Ref:3331976)   #10
Speed-King
Veteran

Zolder seems to be in big trouble these days... their 24h race is a mess, no significant international events and even losing some local series as customers.
I am kind of worried about what's next. Only been once, but it really is a brilliant little circuit for the spectators, and I'd love to go back one day, but it has to be an event that makes it justifiable to do the 6hr drive...

As for the French race... the Nogaro Easter date has pretty much a guaranteed crowd, so it's quite reasonable that they'd stick to that.
Old 17 Nov 2013, 01:06 (Ref:3332377)   #11
Richard117
Racer

Netherlands
Netherlands
Richard117 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRichard117 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel ten Caat View Post
No reason to complain. Zandvoort in NL and even Brands Hatch is easy to visit - prefer that circuit over Zolder ;-)
Zandvoort is probably holiday season for me and as spectator I prefer the atmosphere at Zolder.
I've never been at Brands Hatch so can't compare that.

So yes, i've reasons to complain
Old 17 Nov 2013, 14:34 (Ref:3332565)   #12
JorritVD
Veteran

Netherlands
Netherlands
JorritVD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Zandvoort is probably holiday season for me and as spectator I prefer the atmosphere at Zolder.

I would like to see the BSS at Assen. as that is my home track. But it's good for Zandvoort they have a good hq series next year again. Btw, Zandvoort was already on the calendar this year. So if Zolder is not on it, it's not because of Zandvoort.

But Zolder is a great track for watching. You don't have to walk a lot, but you can watch a big part of the track quickly. And with a forrest around the circuit, it's a great track for listening the cars.
Old 17 Nov 2013, 18:49 (Ref:3332650)   #13
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
On the subject of tracks, I'm a bit surprised that there's not at least one flyaway race. Blancpain Endurance has been extremely successful and there's no reason Blancpain Sprint won't be the same. Additionally, they may, at this point, want to spread their name and their company to other regions. In a geopolitical sense, it's not a bad idea. Financially, it would be tough on teams.

I would really like to see a return to Interlagos.
Old 17 Nov 2013, 21:26 (Ref:3332727)   #14
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
There's every reason it might not be the same; it's the same concept that's been tried, under various names, for the last two years. Last year was the first one where they reigned back ambition for a world championship and I think it sort of worked. Next year, the series loses it's main selling point for 2013, namely Sebastian Loeb, so it makes sense to try and keep what they had I think. There's no point in pretending it's more than it is, not just yet.

Also, as you say, BES has been successful, but also consistent, a few rounds in Europe. I agree with you that it would be nice to see it at some great circuits, but I like that the series visits some interesting locations that other series don't (pity to see Zolder go, for me, always enjoyed watching that one).
Old 17 Nov 2013, 21:33 (Ref:3332730)   #15
kober
Racer

kober should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
On the subject of tracks, I'm a bit surprised that there's not at least one flyaway race.
Baku is the flyaway race - I can guarantee that no team will try to drive there.
Old 17 Nov 2013, 21:44 (Ref:3332741)   #16
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kober View Post
Baku is the flyaway race - I can guarantee that no team will try to drive there.
You bring up a good point. I've always thought of it as a European country but I suppose it could be classified as an Asia or Middle Eastern country.
Old 17 Nov 2013, 22:03 (Ref:3332754)   #17
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I know, I need to look at a map, but I do recall that the F1 teams did drive to the Istanbul races.
Old 18 Nov 2013, 00:42 (Ref:3332813)   #18
kober
Racer

kober should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fortunately, the organizer provides air transportation for the Baku World Challenge - last year they flew from Frankfurt (Hahn).
Old 18 Nov 2013, 00:45 (Ref:3332815)   #19
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All cars (FIA GT Series and Historic F1) flown to Azerbaijan on Silk Way Airlines flight to Baku.

The distance from London to Baku is roughly 4,000km, which is 1,000km more than London to Istanbul. It is right between Western Asia and Eastern Europe, bordering Iran, Armenia, Russia and Georgia. So much for useless facts ;-)
Old 18 Nov 2013, 03:56 (Ref:3332876)   #20
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Baku was a success last year and will probably be this year, just because it's a headliner event. But humor me --- how did event organizers come up with the idea to hold a street circuit race in the middle of an Eurasian city out in the middle of nowhere? Money?
Old 18 Nov 2013, 04:32 (Ref:3332880)   #21
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Money. It's also a sort of nice (if rather odd) nouveau riche post-Soviet waterfront city, which is a sensible locale to hold a street race in so late in the season. But yes, basically money. Azerbaijan, and Baku in particular, is bathing in oil money these days. It's doing a fairly good job working up to being baby Dubai these days, though with its own unique blend of 'questionable' issues.
Old 18 Nov 2013, 05:54 (Ref:3332900)   #22
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Really pleased these guys are coming to Brands Hatch, my local circuit.
Would have loved to have gone to the Zandvoort round but, as a marshal, I will be going to the Le Mans Classic, which is on the same weekend, as is the British GP.
Richard, as I was looked after so well, on my visit to Zolder a couple of years ago, you will be more than welcome, if you want to come to Brands Hatch. I can get you a ticket and you can meet the Great British marshals!!
Old 18 Nov 2013, 16:21 (Ref:3333161)   #23
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk View Post
Money. It's also a sort of nice (if rather odd) nouveau riche post-Soviet waterfront city, which is a sensible locale to hold a street race in so late in the season. But yes, basically money. Azerbaijan, and Baku in particular, is bathing in oil money these days. It's doing a fairly good job working up to being baby Dubai these days, though with its own unique blend of 'questionable' issues.
The entire city of Sumgait, just a short drive north of Baku, is essentially one massive industrial zone mainly devoted to oil energy.

Baku... strange place indeed...

Old 19 Nov 2013, 19:26 (Ref:3333804)   #24
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
https://www.dailysportscar.com/?p=18550

Bhai Tech Racing thinking of switching from International GT Open to BSS
Old 19 Nov 2013, 23:31 (Ref:3333958)   #25
urdragon
Veteran

Spain
Barcelona
urdragon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridurdragon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
I really don't see the attraction in putting up Spa 24 entries as some kind of reward for other series.
Just wait the GT unification (class) taking too long (+3years) and the GT3 market multiplying to 150% of worldwide GT3 sales and Spa will be smaller to enter requests than Le Mans to GTE requests. Just add the new manufacturers PRO entries (And gentleman for the Bentley maybe) coming in this two remaining years.