Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 26 Mar 2014, 14:17 (Ref:3384639)   #1
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
TUSC Round 3: The Tequila Patron Sportscar Showcase at Long Beach

I guess it is about time to throw a race thread out there since there has been some movement on the entrylist side of things. This is the first TUSC race to not feature the entire grid, and the first to not be part of the NAEC. We only get the "pro" classes here Prototypes and GTLM. This will open a lot more room up on the track with only 21 cars currently expected for the 100 minutes race. This race length means all teams should be able to finish with one pit stop (if my math is correct). Given that driver changes will still be mandatory this really will put an emphasis on pit stop efficiency, and in all actuality whoever catches the yellow flag(s) best will probably come out on top.

Qualifying is on Friday April 11, and the race begins at 15:10 local track time on Saturday April 12.

Schedule

Entry List

Track Map

Spotters Guide

Last edited by joeb; 11 Apr 2014 at 19:57.
Old 26 Mar 2014, 14:23 (Ref:3384643)   #2
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why does Bruni appear in the entry list?
Old 26 Mar 2014, 14:26 (Ref:3384645)   #3
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon_titanium View Post
That is the latest entry list from IMSA, but I"m sure there are things that will change on it in the next 3 weeks.
Old 26 Mar 2014, 14:30 (Ref:3384647)   #4
IndyMeister
Racer

IndyMeister should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
That is the latest entry list from IMSA, but I"m sure there are things that will change on it in the next 3 weeks.
It already has : no Pickett-Oreca-Nissan.
Old 26 Mar 2014, 16:24 (Ref:3384684)   #5
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is Souther Cali still in drought? I wonder that becuase if there is rain during the race then a GTLM could have a shot at overall victory. Especially Falken. All they would need is about 10-15 of green flag time to the front too.

With that said I'm sure it is unlikely. In normal conditions this race SHOULD go wtihout any cautions. But we'll have to wait and see I suppose.
Old 26 Mar 2014, 16:45 (Ref:3384700)   #6
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjessica09 View Post
In normal conditions this race SHOULD go wtihout any cautions. But we'll have to wait and see I suppose.
A street course without cautions? I think that is being a bit overly-optimistic.
Old 26 Mar 2014, 18:41 (Ref:3384754)   #7
Danathar
Racer

Danathar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMeister View Post
It already has : no Pickett-Oreca-Nissan.
Pickett wants to see how the BoP settles out on a couple of tracks that SHOULD have P2's with an advantage.

He can do it (sit out) because he is his own sponsor. Sharp can't because he depends and has commitments to his sponsor.

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/10216...na-seca-rounds

"Additionally, while we did lead some laps at Sebring, the speed differential between the DP cars and the P2s is still quite big and I want to see what the series does with that over the course of the next couple of races, as these will take place at tracks that should favor the P2 cars.

We came here to be competitive and we know that we have the drivers and the car to do so, but a big part of that competitiveness comes from the balance of performance and you can't be fighting for wins if you're not on a level playing field," concluded Pickett."
Old 26 Mar 2014, 19:01 (Ref:3384766)   #8
Dodge_Swinger
Racer

United States
International Space Station
Dodge_Swinger should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDodge_Swinger should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would love for this and every other race to be FCY-free, but I wouldn't bet a warm beer on that happening. If a car opens up too much of a lead, even a DP, I am 99.9 percent certain there will be a caution flag thrown for "mystery debris".
Old 26 Mar 2014, 19:47 (Ref:3384781)   #9
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Swinger View Post
I would love for this and every other race to be FCY-free, but I wouldn't bet a warm beer on that happening. If a car opens up too much of a lead, even a DP, I am 99.9 percent certain there will be a caution flag thrown for "mystery debris".
Yea I have the same feeling too!

And I think this race will favor dp's, with the long front straight and almost every corner is 90* point and go.all dp's have to do is slow the apex in front of p2's and then get the most power down,with traction control now that shouldn't be a problem to keep p2s behind.only question is how they will do with the hair pin,but again even if they are slow at it all they have to do is balk the p2's long enough to put the power down.

This one might be dependent on qualifying,pit stop speed, and who gets lucky when the cautions come out.
Old 27 Mar 2014, 08:12 (Ref:3384931)   #10
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
IMSA handed Malucelli a 1 race suspension.
But the Bruni Fisichella pairing is strong.
Old 27 Mar 2014, 08:53 (Ref:3384945)   #11
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Not that it matters, seeing as how Risi probably fired him before IMSA decided to suspend him, so even without IMSA's intervention, he probably wouldn't be racing at Long Beach by default.
Old 27 Mar 2014, 09:00 (Ref:3384949)   #12
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Not that it matters, seeing as how Risi probably fired him before IMSA decided to suspend him, so even without IMSA's intervention, he probably wouldn't be racing at Long Beach by default.
I don't think that Malucelli is directly under contract with Risi, we need to wait for laguna seca to see if he has been replaced in some other ferrari customers program or if he will remain with Risi.
Old 27 Mar 2014, 09:12 (Ref:3384956)   #13
skells22
Veteran

skells22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
plus Malucelli has to behave for one race when he comes back from his ban, which class is Kearby in?, he has also been given the ban for one race plus need to behave when he comes back from his ban
Old 27 Mar 2014, 09:35 (Ref:3384964)   #14
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
There's only one serious TUSCC team that runs Ferraris and that's Risi. I know that Krohn ran Daytona and Sebring, but Krohn is full time WEC and won't run the full TUSCC season.

I think that this is one bridge that Risi has definitely burned, and probably rightfully so. He's spent how much money the past year or so getting that 458 re-tubbed or repaired? Probably better now to make sure his Ferrari is in safe and capable hands instead of fast but inconsistent, let alone error prone hands.
Old 27 Mar 2014, 13:55 (Ref:3385141)   #15
johncho
Rookie

johncho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
why would sharp/ed brown sit out? They were on pace to win sebring by a mile had it run green, and the speed traps and laptimes showed they were head and shoulders above muscle milk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danathar View Post
Pickett wants to see how the BoP settles out on a couple of tracks that SHOULD have P2's with an advantage.

He can do it (sit out) because he is his own sponsor. Sharp can't because he depends and has commitments to his sponsor.

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/10216...na-seca-rounds

"Additionally, while we did lead some laps at Sebring, the speed differential between the DP cars and the P2s is still quite big and I want to see what the series does with that over the course of the next couple of races, as these will take place at tracks that should favor the P2 cars.
."
Old 27 Mar 2014, 16:12 (Ref:3385199)   #16
Danathar
Racer

Danathar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johncho View Post
why would sharp/ed brown sit out? They were on pace to win sebring by a mile had it run green, and the speed traps and laptimes showed they were head and shoulders above muscle milk.
I didn't say he would, just that as a realistic option only Picket can really do that if he wanted.
Old 27 Mar 2014, 18:03 (Ref:3385244)   #17
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMeister View Post
Bummer.
Old 27 Mar 2014, 20:16 (Ref:3385289)   #18
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I don't think that Malucelli is directly under contract with Risi, we need to wait for laguna seca to see if he has been replaced in some other ferrari customers program or if he will remain with Risi.
Mr. Risi has "benched" an entire car before now. Can't remember the year (2009 maybe?) when late in a race (Road America?) their second car, not on the lead lap, got in the way of a charging Mika Salo which ultimately caused Salo to push too hard and spin, losing out on a podium for sure and maybe a second or even a win.

Next race: Mosport. Second car and both drivers nowhere to be seen. The stated reason, if I'm remembering this all correctly, was "one of our drivers was unavailable" or words to that effect.

So - it doesn't really matter what the arrangement with Malucelli and/or Ferrari is, if Giuseppe Risi is ticked off, I very much doubt we'll see Malucelli again.

Last edited by rwintle; 27 Mar 2014 at 20:17. Reason: clarification of wordiness
Old 28 Mar 2014, 01:07 (Ref:3385387)   #19
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
it's always driver issues with any Ferrari team isn't it. The shenanigans that went on at AF Corse and at Risi these past few years amongst the likes of Bruni, Melo, Vilander, and Fisichella is dubious at best.
Old 28 Mar 2014, 02:03 (Ref:3385401)   #20
PointDSM
Racer

United States
Wisconsin
PointDSM is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
it's always driver issues with any Ferrari team isn't it. The shenanigans that went on at AF Corse and at Risi these past few years amongst the likes of Bruni, Melo, Vilander, and Fisichella is dubious at best.
What was wrong with ESM? I really think Guy Cosmo would be the best driver for Risi. Fast, smart...

I tend to think that Ferrari isn't quite there with driver development, certainly not on-par with Porsche or other customer teams.
Old 28 Mar 2014, 07:14 (Ref:3385451)   #21
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PointDSM View Post
I really think Guy Cosmo would be the best driver for Risi. Fast, smart...
I was thinking that during the Sebring race. He's fast, smart, seems to be good with fans, has experience with the car, has experience with the tracks, has experience against most of the competitors, and is looking for work.

I'm struggling to think of anyone else who seems currently available that can offer that. Perhaps Jeff Segal since he is out of a ride with L5 not participating? I wouldn't place him as high as Cosmo but he's pretty solid.
Old 28 Mar 2014, 19:49 (Ref:3385783)   #22
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So, it will be interesting how this early-season drama develops when there's only Pro-classes and short race distance.
Old 28 Mar 2014, 23:35 (Ref:3385857)   #23
Articus
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PointDSM View Post
What was wrong with ESM? I really think Guy Cosmo would be the best driver for Risi. Fast, smart...

I tend to think that Ferrari isn't quite there with driver development, certainly not on-par with Porsche or other customer teams.
There was nothing wrong at ESM. It's just that things have blown up quite literally at AF Corse and Risi amongst drivers in years past. Remember when Melo was "sick" at Petit one year...
Old 8 Apr 2014, 03:32 (Ref:3390019)   #24
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mr. Blackmore's spotters guide is out for this race but I think only the Shank car has a different livery. Interesting that on the guide the TUSK and Indy car schedules are posted on there but not PWC.

I for one will combine the TUSK and PWC qualifying times on to one list after their sessions are done provided it does not rain for one of them.

What is the weather forecast for Friday and Saturday in Long Beach at this point?
Old 8 Apr 2014, 03:38 (Ref:3390021)   #25
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjessica09 View Post
What is the weather forecast for Friday and Saturday in Long Beach at this point?
http://nasportscar.com/weather-forec...of-long-beach/