Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 12 Apr 2014, 06:44 (Ref:3391397)   #1
katrina.kershaw.7
Racer

katrina.kershaw.7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Upgrade

Hi I've sent off my prc (photocopies taken of course) just wondering how long it normally takes to come back.
Old 12 Apr 2014, 20:37 (Ref:3391565)   #2
SCB Driving
Rookie

SCB Driving should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I sent mine off in October and got it back last Thursday.
6 months, but I am pretty sure this is not the norm.
Good luck with yours.
Old 12 Apr 2014, 22:58 (Ref:3391638)   #3
katrina.kershaw.7
Racer

Thanks I thought it could be hit and miss, 6months is too long though!!
Old 13 Apr 2014, 09:10 (Ref:3391868)   #4
Pitsmarion
Rookie

Guernsey
Huntingdon
Pitsmarion should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I sent mine to BMMC in February, then resent in March when I discovered it had gone astray (!) but I am now still waiting to hear back....
Old 13 Apr 2014, 09:47 (Ref:3391876)   #5
katrina.kershaw.7
Racer

Yeah the wonder of the lost cards not good, heard of a few that disappear
Old 13 Apr 2014, 10:19 (Ref:3391887)   #6
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sent mine off in 1994 - still waiting!
Old 13 Apr 2014, 19:42 (Ref:3392055)   #7
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
By the time it gets to the MSA, it's generally pretty quick. I last upgraded alongside my annual renewal so it took longer, but now they're not processing as many licence applications (for drivers included) it shouldn't take too long at all.
You will, however, have to allow time for it to get there via your club - which inevitably will be done by volunteers.
I would say 6 weeks is reasonable in total at this time of year.
Old 13 Apr 2014, 20:46 (Ref:3392080)   #8
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by katrina.kershaw.7 View Post
Yeah the wonder of the lost cards not good, heard of a few that disappear
My renewal, went missing in the post, twice, this year, but I just phoned the MSA again, and well, it was 3rd time lucky
Old 13 Apr 2014, 20:50 (Ref:3392082)   #9
katrina.kershaw.7
Racer

It's not good, the amount going missing in the post. Wonder if a system tweak would help? Scan pages and email instead of post?
Old 14 Apr 2014, 08:22 (Ref:3392248)   #10
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I almost always send things to the MSA by Recorded Delivery. They don't then seem to get "Lost in the post". Or am I being unkind?

(Remember that Recorded items get no special care while in transit; just the delivery signed for.)

Jim

(And remember that it was not always the dog who ate your homework.)
Old 14 Apr 2014, 12:59 (Ref:3392376)   #11
Eljay
Rookie

England
Kent
Eljay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Check your junk folder in your email system, I found the "we have received your application" email in mine. It is marked as from "Administrator" subject Application Recieved) Mine was acknowledged as being received at MSA on 26th Feb. A quick call to the marshal coordinator at MSA a week ago and she said it was "with the panel" then got another Application Received email on Friday.... we shall await the outcome but it is 7 weeks and counting so far.
Old 14 Apr 2014, 16:04 (Ref:3392442)   #12
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
I almost always send things to the MSA by Recorded Delivery. They don't then seem to get "Lost in the post". Or am I being unkind?

(Remember that Recorded items get no special care while in transit; just the delivery signed for.)

Jim

(And remember that it was not always the dog who ate your homework.)
Plus always take copies, even if you just use your mobile phone to take a picture of each page of your PRC.
Old 14 Apr 2014, 16:45 (Ref:3392463)   #13
katrina.kershaw.7
Racer

Took copies, but needed to go to bmmc 1st so if I send it recorded do they anyway
Old 14 Apr 2014, 17:49 (Ref:3392484)   #14
Heardy1982
Rookie

Heardy1982 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nearly my upgrade time need to do 2 more days then assessment so just checking once all signatures in place does it get sent direct to the MSA if not what is the process.
Old 14 Apr 2014, 17:54 (Ref:3392486)   #15
katrina.kershaw.7
Racer

I was told send it to my local grading officer at bmmc then he sends it to msa, don't know if that varies with other clubs of course
Old 14 Apr 2014, 18:34 (Ref:3392497)   #16
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heardy1982 View Post
Nearly my upgrade time need to do 2 more days then assessment so just checking once all signatures in place does it get sent direct to the MSA if not what is the process.
Just a word of caution here. The number of days specified on the PRC is the MINIMUM requirement. If you're happy that you've learnt enough & gained sufficient experience to work at the higher grade you're aiming for, then go for the assessment; if not, wait until you're sure you're ready. Grading isn't a race, & it must be a reflection of your experience & ability, not an end in itself.

When you've got all the necessary signatures for your upgrade, send your PRC to your club's Grading Officer.
Old 14 Apr 2014, 22:17 (Ref:3392567)   #17
deley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bramley, Guildford
deley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heardy1982 View Post
There are instruction in the back of the PRC
Old 14 Apr 2014, 22:19 (Ref:3392569)   #18
katrina.kershaw.7
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
Just a word of caution here. The number of days specified on the PRC is the MINIMUM requirement. If you're happy that you've learnt enough & gained sufficient experience to work at the higher grade you're aiming for, then go for the assessment; if not, wait until you're sure you're ready. Grading isn't a race, & it must be a reflection of your experience & ability, not an end in itself.

When you've got all the necessary signatures for your upgrade, send your PRC to your club's Grading Officer.

True I'm on year 5 lol :-)
Old 14 Apr 2014, 22:26 (Ref:3392573)   #19
deley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bramley, Guildford
deley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post

A simple test which is applicable to all upgrades but particularly in the case of the Trainee to Track one is;

"are you confident that you can look after a new trainee (keep them safe, educate and encourage them) when there are only the two of you on a post bearing in mind that you might have a situation to deal with?"
Old 15 Apr 2014, 08:13 (Ref:3392678)   #20
Slipstick
Racer

United Kingdom
N. Staffs
Slipstick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deley View Post
"are you confident that you can look after a new trainee (keep them safe, educate and encourage them) when there are only the two of you on a post bearing in mind that you might have a situation to deal with?"
Had to try it last year and I didn't think I did all that well.

I'll probably stay a trainee for the rest of my "career". Saves all that worrying about where my PRC has got to .

Steve
Old 15 Apr 2014, 12:50 (Ref:3392804)   #21
cobra99
Rookie

England
Farnham
cobra99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by katrina.kershaw.7 View Post
Hi I've sent off my prc (photocopies taken of course) just wondering how long it normally takes to come back.
I phoned the MSA yesterday. A batch of upgrades have been processed and the cards printed ready for posting. Keep an eye on the mail.
Old 15 Apr 2014, 15:22 (Ref:3392853)   #22
Bakersboy
Racer

England
Stoke on Trent
Bakersboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstick View Post
Had to try it last year and I didn't think I did all that well.

I'll probably stay a trainee for the rest of my "career". Saves all that worrying about where my PRC has got to .

Steve
You and me both, I'm on my sixth year and for the life of me I cannot see any need to upgrade. It's not my work career, I don't get a bigger office, a better company car nor a pay rise so why bother?
Old 15 Apr 2014, 17:37 (Ref:3392898)   #23
katrina.kershaw.7
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra99 View Post
I phoned the MSA yesterday. A batch of upgrades have been processed and the cards printed ready for posting. Keep an eye on the mail.

Excellent :-)
Old 15 Apr 2014, 17:39 (Ref:3392900)   #24
katrina.kershaw.7
Racer

P.s I'm a driving instructor so a trainee that's not trying to kill me is a refreshing change
Have took a rookie quite a few times
Old 15 Apr 2014, 18:36 (Ref:3392933)   #25
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakersboy View Post
You and me both, I'm on my sixth year and for the life of me I cannot see any need to upgrade.
OK, having urged caution in upgrading, now for the other side of the coin.

Your grade should be a reflection of your experience & ability. By not upgrading you're denying yourself the recognition you deserve & giving a somewhat false impression to your colleagues. We're lucky at Oulton to have good manning levels, thanks to vigorous recruitment over the last few years, but currently we have a very high percentage of trainees on post. We look to those trainees to become the future IOs, flag marshals, Post Chiefs, etc. Unless you're prepared to take that first step the rest of the progression can't happen.

When I have somebody I don't know on post with me the only indicator I have of their ability is their grade; if they are graded as trainee I have to assume that their experience is limited.

There's also the training aspect - training is geared to your current grade, so by not upgrading you're probably not getting the level of training which matches your experience.

Quote:
It's not my work career, I don't get a bigger office, a better company car nor a pay rise so why bother?
It shouldn't be about the rewards, it should be about the satisfaction which results from having your talents recognised.