Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 6 Oct 2002, 02:12 (Ref:396654)   #1
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Surfers Paradise

I know this should be in the trackside forum... but what the hey?

Who will be going and who wants to go??

Here's one for Jordi- Oriol Servia with mega understeer a couple of years ago during practice
Attached Thumbnails
servia.jpg  
Old 6 Oct 2002, 03:38 (Ref:396676)   #2
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice pic dude!! That was a beautiful car too (IMO)...

I really wish I could be there, it will be one hell of an event this year with the V8's and Champ Cars.

Be sure to take more photos!
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 6 Oct 2002, 04:52 (Ref:396689)   #3
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm booked in to get a digital camera which takes mpegs, so that should be a bit of fun. I probably don't want to rack up too much of a long distance phone bill from the media centre, but I'll try and post anything interesting when I get it... but i'll have the trusty old Nikon there too.

I always liked this pic of Gil from last year
Attached Thumbnails
gil-deferran.jpg  
Old 6 Oct 2002, 12:31 (Ref:396807)   #4
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gil who?

I'd love to go to Surfers but it would be so expensive and take so long that it'd he my only race of the year.

Crash, if you want to write it up and have it on line with your photos, PM me -- I can arrange it.
Old 7 Oct 2002, 13:11 (Ref:397519)   #5
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
I'll be pretty busy writing and shooting for my regular magazines and websites and things, but if I get a chance, I'd gladly do up some stuff for the newsletter. I'll try and get a preview or two out before the event- I got my hands on some interesting stuff today. What would be a good email address for newsletter submissions?
Old 7 Oct 2002, 13:58 (Ref:397550)   #6
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would love to go up to Surfers and check out the Cars, sadly it will only be the tv for me.
This will probably only come as interest 2 Australian or New Zealand fans, but i was interested to hear, that the Parramatta Eels (Football Team) is having the end of season trip at the Honda Indy 300, which is great.
Old 7 Oct 2002, 17:03 (Ref:397677)   #7
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thanks for that Oriol pic Crash, it's saved in my PC already!
Old 8 Oct 2002, 11:34 (Ref:398254)   #8
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be down there as usual wandering round & enjoying a week of festivities.
Old 8 Oct 2002, 16:53 (Ref:398479)   #9
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
INDIANAPOLIS (October 8, 2002) - The wildly popular CART FedEx Championship Series event on Australia's Gold Coast is expected to draw nearly 300,000 for the October 24-27 Honda Indy 300, but festivities will get underway well before the cars even get on site at Surfers Paradise.

The week-long event will kick off on Sunday, October 20 with the second annual Honda Indy 300 Family Day presented by Aunger, where families can come spend the day on the actual Pit Lane where the 850hp Champ Cars will run. Race organizers have a full day of events planned with attractions to entertain fans of all ages.

"This is a great prelude to the Honda Indy 300 for families who have never experienced the race and those that come back year after year," said Honda Indy 300 Chief Executive Officer Geoff Jones. "We have put in a concerted effort to make Family Day a big attraction. From motoring displays to driver autograph sessions, music, extreme sports, motorcycle stunts and track tours, it is set to be an entertaining day for the entire family.

There will be autograph sessions with Champ Car and V8 Supercar drivers, motorcycle stunt shows, extreme sports displays, entertainment from rock band 'The Accidents' (ed. Is this really a good name for a band at a motor race?), the Bartercard Miss Indy girls, track tours, Sony PlayStation competitions and children's rides and activities.

Patrons are asked to make a gold coin donation on the bus tours around the Honda Indy 300 track, on the Park'n'Ride shuttle bus and to enter the King Tutt Putt Putt competition, with money raised going toward Surf Life Saving Queensland, which is the Official Charity of the event.
Old 8 Oct 2002, 22:29 (Ref:398767)   #10
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
A couple more updates:

- The Thursday of the event, they invite all of the local school (and they come from far and wide) kids to the event for free. They make up some educational content for it (to make it a legitimate day off ) like some physics of race cars, or tourism and hospitality stuff- and the track gets backed with 1000s of school kids... great promotion that works a treat.

- In at Uni the other day they had these packages on sale for $140. You get transport to the track, accomodation, entry to the track, a heap of freebys, drinking vounchers etc etc... what a bargain! If i weren't on a junket, that would be the best possible way to do the weekend...
Old 8 Oct 2002, 23:22 (Ref:398788)   #11
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Crash Test
- The Thursday of the event, they invite all of the local school (and they come from far and wide) kids to the event for free. They make up some educational content for it (to make it a legitimate day off ) like some physics of race cars, or tourism and hospitality stuff- and the track gets backed with 1000s of school kids... great promotion that works a treat.
Now that's what I call learning!
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 9 Oct 2002, 00:17 (Ref:398823)   #12
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
http://www.indy.com.au/students.asp for a few more details on it.
Old 9 Oct 2002, 00:37 (Ref:398832)   #13
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It makes any excursion i went on at school very very boring indeed.
Old 10 Oct 2002, 13:43 (Ref:400303)   #14
Robsta
Rookie

Robsta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will be there it helps when you only live 10 min from Surfers Paradise We got our tickets back in March so we would not miss out on good seats as they think we might even exceed 300,000 people.

Two new Grand Stands have gone up the other week due to the demand and both have been sold out in days

The track is almost done and a very close mate of mine is the CART editor at V8 Central and has posted some pictures on how the track is put together for this once a year race that we all enjoy

Here are the links
In the begining...
Part 2 of "Making of Paradise"
Surfers Paradise Street Circuit
More Of Paradise
Final Stages Of Honda Indy 300

Hope to see you all at the track
Drop in and say G’day to the guys and girls at V8C

Last edited by Robsta; 10 Oct 2002 at 13:48.
Old 10 Oct 2002, 14:24 (Ref:400340)   #15
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Great pics of a beautiful city! Thanks!
Old 14 Oct 2002, 04:58 (Ref:403429)   #16
DMC
Racer

Australia
DMC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Robsta
I will be there it helps when you only live 10 min from Surfers Paradise We got our tickets back in March so we would not miss out on good seats as they think we might even exceed 300,000 people.

Two new Grand Stands have gone up the other week due to the demand and both have been sold out in days

The track is almost done and a very close mate of mine is the CART editor at V8 Central and has posted some pictures on how the track is put together for this once a year race that we all enjoy

Here are the links
In the begining...
Part 2 of "Making of Paradise"
Surfers Paradise Street Circuit
More Of Paradise
Final Stages Of Honda Indy 300

Hope to see you all at the track
Drop in and say G’day to the guys and girls at V8C
Great photos mate, it looks like your mate took those photos while he was driving! They're taken from the right side of the bonnet scoop of what looks like a WRX if I'm not mistaken?
Old 14 Oct 2002, 13:21 (Ref:403816)   #17
Robsta
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by DMC
Great photos mate, it looks like your mate took those photos while he was driving! They're taken from the right side of the bonnet scoop of what looks like a WRX if I'm not mistaken?
Yeah you are spot on about it being taken from drivers seat in a WRX

Also there might be some more photos on there way after this weekend coming which means everyone can see the track finished off just before they close the streets off to the general public
Old 15 Oct 2002, 12:10 (Ref:404794)   #18
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hey Crash, stop stealing my usual gig for the newsletter
Old 15 Oct 2002, 12:12 (Ref:404798)   #19
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
pfffttt.... see if i care! But can I proof read it for you?
Old 15 Oct 2002, 18:02 (Ref:405081)   #20
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Roll on next year. Now all I need is accomadation 10 minutes from the track.
Seriously the photos are great, looks like a real attractive street circuit, unlike the Miami one last weekend, which was at beat OK.
Any chance of a track map?
Old 16 Oct 2002, 13:17 (Ref:405728)   #21
Robsta
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by theracegypsy
Roll on next year. Now all I need is accomadation 10 minutes from the track.
Seriously the photos are great, looks like a real attractive street circuit, unlike the Miami one last weekend, which was at beat OK.
Any chance of a track map?
Here you go.

Track Map

Track Stats

Miss Indy
Old 17 Oct 2002, 11:02 (Ref:406390)   #22
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Been there a few times, top event and has come a long way since 1991.
Giving V8s higher status is going to make it unforgetable.
Old 17 Oct 2002, 18:40 (Ref:406696)   #23
Emfa
Veteran

Australia
Colorado Springs
Emfa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now there is another story out today that they are going to build yet another grandstand to meet ticket demand. Seems to me like there is no lack of enthusiasm down there! I'm guessing that a lot of people are looking at this Double-Header as pretty good value for money.
Old 18 Oct 2002, 00:05 (Ref:406940)   #24
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
It'd be interesting to see just what effect the double header has. I think they could have shopping trolleys and pedal cars, but so long as they have beautiful people and booze, the masses would come

The grandstands always sell out, but it's interesting to see them popping 3 more up for this year..
Old 18 Oct 2002, 01:56 (Ref:406966)   #25
Liz
Veteran

I wonder how the Invisibles will make this sound as if it's another indication that Champ Cars is dying ...

I wonder how Scott Dixon will feel knowing this is his last trip outside the USA to race in front of people who will know who he is ...

I wonder if Tony Kanaan will hit anybody ...

I wish I was going. I can't believe there isn't any more racing this year!