Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 5 Feb 2004, 05:12 (Ref:863622)   #1
SurfaceUnits
Racer

SurfaceUnits should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Durban to get world motor race

SA to host motor race that will boost economy
February 5, 2004

South Africa has been chosen to stage a major international motor racing event later this year.

A company called Racing For South Africa (R4SA) has announced plans to host a round of the Champ Car World series in a Monaco-style street race in Durban.

It will be the centrepiece of a motorsport programme intended to bring investment, employment and educational opportunities to the country.

South African racing driver Stephen Watson, managing director of R4SA, says he is concluding negotiations with Open Wheel Racing Series, the organisers of the indy-style Champ Car World Series, for a five-year agreement to host the event in Durban, his hometown.

The US-based championship travels the globe, with events in the US, Mexico, Canada, Asia and Australia.

Watson claims it will be the largest sporting event in South Africa on an annual basis and will generate an estimated R250-million in direct economic benefits and R1,2-billion in indirect benefits. - Motoring Staff
Old 5 Feb 2004, 06:20 (Ref:863645)   #2
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sweet. I expect that includes transportation.
Old 5 Feb 2004, 06:29 (Ref:863649)   #3
SurfaceUnits
Racer

Oh, before I forget, "Have fun in Sparta, Kentucky traitors."
Old 5 Feb 2004, 07:50 (Ref:863672)   #4
Scrutineer78
Racer

Scrutineer78 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They'll have a better race, that's for sure.
Old 5 Feb 2004, 07:53 (Ref:863674)   #5
SurfaceUnits
Racer

You're a hoot, man.
Old 5 Feb 2004, 10:58 (Ref:863831)   #6
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just because the race will be held in an interesting market does not automatically mean it will be a great track, so unless they come up with a really good layout I would have to agree with Scrutineer78.
Old 5 Feb 2004, 11:04 (Ref:863839)   #7
Fan
Veteran

Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They ran a street race there a few years ago and it was mega. Stephen is a great guy who will do a good job. I think it will work. Durban has hosted international rugby, F1 powerboat races and cricket so they know how to put on a great show.
Old 5 Feb 2004, 11:09 (Ref:863847)   #8
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Fan
They ran a street race there a few years ago and it was mega. Stephen is a great guy who will do a good job. I think it will work. Durban has hosted international rugby, F1 powerboat races and cricket so they know how to put on a great show.
I'll reserve my judgement until I see a proposed layout - there are so many ways to mess up a street circuit it's not even funny.

What I'd like to see are some good high-speed sections followed by really slow corners, preferrably with plenty of room, that allows for at least one or two passing opportunities. Surfer's, Toronto and St. Petersburg all have that, which is why they all work.

Elevation changes a la Monaco would also be a big plus (I'm a bit of a sucker for elevation changes myself lol).

Last edited by rustyfan; 5 Feb 2004 at 11:13.
Old 5 Feb 2004, 11:31 (Ref:863869)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
South Africa's an exciting untapped market, and the old F1 race at Kyalami used to do well. However, the emphasis on street races from CART in recent years has lead to some of the least interesting racetracks imaginable (lots of 90 degree turns are especially bad), and some appalling races. Formula 1's efforts to hold onto a US audience in the 80s largely failed due to all the street circuits used. Hopefully this layout will have some logivc and imagination, but of course it's limited by Durban's intrinsic layout, whcih I'm nto familiar with.
Old 5 Feb 2004, 11:47 (Ref:863882)   #10
Fan
Veteran

Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm trying to remember where the old street circuit was. From memory it was pretty quick. I'm not sure where Stephen is planning on holding the race but Durban is pretty flat. I'm going to Durban next week so will try to find out more and report back.
Old 5 Feb 2004, 13:26 (Ref:864017)   #11
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great news, I hope for further developments
Old 5 Feb 2004, 15:04 (Ref:864119)   #12
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.themercury.co.za/index.ph...ticleId=341577
Quote:
"Hosting a street race in Durban means we have to create a temporary circuit like those in Surfers Paradise, Australia, and Long Beach, California. These events have been highly successful for their host cities, for 13 and 22 years respectively.
Quote:
"It will be an immense undertaking. Temporary grandstands have to be erected, concrete barriers, safety fencing, PA systems, security, hospitality suites, press facilities, pit areas, all have to be put in place and then removed after the event," Watson said.
Circuit

"The Champ Car World Series will deliver these benefits every year and will showcase to the world that we have the
capability and first-world infrastructures to accommodate international events of this scale," he said.

Several circuit layouts and locations have been studied in detail by R4SA, and the final design will be formally unveiled next month.

"We will have a potential 700 million global television viewers in key tourism markets for SA tuning into watch this event," said Watson.

"More than 400 000 spectators attended the 2003 Mexico City World Champ Car Series event over four days. And when you take into account how starved Africa is for international motorsport, my fellow directors and I are sure we will have a sell-out crowd too." - Motoring Staff

Last edited by Dov; 5 Feb 2004 at 15:11.
Old 5 Feb 2004, 15:15 (Ref:864130)   #13
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what's wrong with Kyalami?
why not just go where the infrastructure- camera angles, and layout is setup?
I hope OWRS aren't biting off more than they can chew
Old 5 Feb 2004, 16:26 (Ref:864211)   #14
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by gttouring
Because its just another boring circuit out in the bush,does nothing for us watching on TV.
BTW,the'mega' event held a few years ago in Durban,was a historic meeting and marred by a serious accident.Hope they check with us/canadian/mexican venues to see what is needed.Kyalami killed at least 2 F1 drivers in its history.
Old 5 Feb 2004, 17:12 (Ref:864261)   #15
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada

If OWRS is going to get rid of the majority of the road courses, just like they're doing with the ovals, then this is a sad day for ChampCar fans!!! There's some great street courses like Surfer's, St. Pete, Toronto and Long Beach, but this series has always been about it's diversity of courses!
Old 5 Feb 2004, 17:56 (Ref:864306)   #16
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So what is CART getting paid to fly over there?
Old 5 Feb 2004, 18:13 (Ref:864328)   #17
zerO
Veteran

zerO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by gttouring
As we are speaking, KYAKAMI is being torn down and in its place there will be a housing complex and a golf course - "bye-bye" Kyalami ?!

zerO
Old 5 Feb 2004, 18:30 (Ref:864343)   #18
Scrutineer78
Racer

Scrutineer78 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Durban to get world motor race

Quote:
Originally posted by SurfaceUnits
A company called Racing For South Africa (R4SA) has announced plans to host a round of the Champ Car World series in a Monaco-style street race in Durban.
Quote:
Originally posted by SurfaceUnits
You're a hoot, man.
I take it you've seen a good race at Monaco, lately?
Old 5 Feb 2004, 19:12 (Ref:864397)   #19
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Snrub
So what is CART getting paid to fly over there?
Not going to be known now that things are private.

As for the track/racing I'm keen to go there, I'm not going to judge the racing before I've seen the layout or cars on it though. I love how people think racing on streets is new or something, it's where it all started.

Last edited by The Snout; 5 Feb 2004 at 19:13.
Old 5 Feb 2004, 19:14 (Ref:864398)   #20
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Not going to be known now that things are private/
Old 5 Feb 2004, 19:18 (Ref:864405)   #21
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
All we know of the deal would be that we could deduce SA is paying us to go, and that's all we need to know. Refreshing.
Old 5 Feb 2004, 19:21 (Ref:864409)   #22
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
http://www.r4sa.com/
Old 5 Feb 2004, 19:35 (Ref:864431)   #23
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
Interesting picture on the website dov. Of all the pictures they could've picked hey.
Old 6 Feb 2004, 02:55 (Ref:864944)   #24
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by The Snout
Not going to be known now that things are private.
I suppose you're right, that never occured to me. Still I'd like to know atleast if CART is having to pay some of it out of pocket.
Old 6 Feb 2004, 03:27 (Ref:864971)   #25
Brian W Keske
Racer

Brian W Keske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
An 'Indy style' race.....mmmmmmm....just can't get away from it can they.