Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 16 Jan 2012, 21:46 (Ref:3012544)   #401
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
isn't the new ST budget class.. just the NZV8 class with a different name?

should we applaud them too for being so innovated?
Old 16 Jan 2012, 22:23 (Ref:3012567)   #402
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIFDY View Post
As far as I know thay didnt have enough entrys for the old production class for Pukekohe any way.
That's largely because they treated the Production classes like lepers. At some rounds last year TMC would not even have pit space for PRS yet they would allow there 'mates' to park in the pits where otherwise there would have been room for a PRS competitor. At times some were put out in a stinking muddy car park area. Yet we all paid the same entry fee.

There was no coverage for PRS on TV3 on race weekend, but if you were up at 3am one morning six months later, you might have seen something on Sky. Not a good look for the sponsors (who are so hard to attract in the first place).

So now this year when a TMC employee decides to compete, they televise it!! I said months ago this would happen, so it's no surprise to me.
No doubt there will be some BS story about class sponsorship to justify it.

These are just a couple of examples of the sort of "we'll look after ourselves first" mentality from TMC that has contributed significantly to the split in V8's. And that I can assure is fact!
Old 16 Jan 2012, 22:56 (Ref:3012584)   #403
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
so your beef is PRS should've got the same amount of airtime as NZV8, GT3, TRS etc. oh.. and you don't like Geoff Short

btw Fujitsu MotorSport NZ is on 7pm(?) Wednesday on Sky Sport.. you didn't need to wait 6 months to watch a PRS at 3am.
Old 16 Jan 2012, 23:41 (Ref:3012604)   #404
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
No I didn't say they should have the same air-time as NZV8's etc - you did (there's a pattern coming through here from you).

The guys in PRS worked just as hard as anyone else to get sponsors and put on a good show, but TMC didn't think that was good enough. They offered all sorts of reasons for ignoring PRS last year, yet seem to have found good reasons to show Production GT and Sports GT this year. Those 'new' classes are made up of what's left of PRS (very few) and a whole bunch of other machinery (some great, some not so).

It's not a question of liking or dis-liking anyone in particular, but when they make the decisions, they cop the criticism - simple really.

I watched Fujitsu Motorsport for several weeks from the start of last season, and they were more interested in replaying what had already featured on the 'live' show and the following weekend package; stuff all PRS. If I'm wrong, show me where.
Old 17 Jan 2012, 00:09 (Ref:3012614)   #405
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
i'm with you Sidewayz

a lot of people saying MSNZ/TMC shouldn't do this or shouldn't do that.. yet if they did nothing.. the NZV8 class would dead and buried.
Since only 8 cars started the feature race on Sunday, some must surely be asking if it already is?

Sitting on the fence, wondering where so many of the competitors were, I was reminded that there were very few at Pukekohe, which no doubt suffered from crud weather like Teretonga did.

One would hope that the Timaru weather is better, especially after the "cap in hand" exercise to get the event to happen.

Most interesting was to see the orange rocket with the NZV8 title sponsor sticker on it being driven by the much leaner TMC sponsorship manager. Was the BNT sticker where the commission percentage was spent or is it a repeat of Taupo again?
Old 17 Jan 2012, 00:18 (Ref:3012620)   #406
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Exactly!!!
Old 17 Jan 2012, 00:31 (Ref:3012623)   #407
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
there was also low numbers in the Utes, Suzuki and FF. we gonna bury them too
Old 17 Jan 2012, 00:45 (Ref:3012631)   #408
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by on_to_it View Post
No I didn't say they should have the same air-time as NZV8's etc - you did (there's a pattern coming through here from you).

The guys in PRS worked just as hard as anyone else to get sponsors and put on a good show, but TMC didn't think that was good enough. They offered all sorts of reasons for ignoring PRS last year, yet seem to have found good reasons to show Production GT and Sports GT this year. Those 'new' classes are made up of what's left of PRS (very few) and a whole bunch of other machinery (some great, some not so).

It's not a question of liking or dis-liking anyone in particular, but when they make the decisions, they cop the criticism - simple really.

I watched Fujitsu Motorsport for several weeks from the start of last season, and they were more interested in replaying what had already featured on the 'live' show and the following weekend package; stuff all PRS. If I'm wrong, show me where.
you were the one whining about lack of airtime. NZV8, GT3 and Toyotas were the big 3 classes at the time.. so it's no surprise most of the focus were on them. so basically your whinge is about PRS not being shown live, right? PRS last year got a hell of lot more coverage then Sport GT has this year
Old 17 Jan 2012, 01:07 (Ref:3012635)   #409
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
PRS last year got a hell of lot more coverage then Sport GT has this year
Not correct.
Old 17 Jan 2012, 04:08 (Ref:3012666)   #410
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
In my opinion, MSNZ should sell its stake in TMC and concentrate on being a regulating body only. While the status quo exists, there will always be resentment amongst competitors about favouritism for TMC, be that justified or not. Perception is everything, gentlemen.
Old 17 Jan 2012, 07:27 (Ref:3012692)   #411
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Mr Revhead has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The perception here is that this forum is full of whingers and axe grinders
Old 17 Jan 2012, 07:55 (Ref:3012699)   #412
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
But my axe is too blunt, dear Liza, dear Liza...
Old 17 Jan 2012, 07:57 (Ref:3012701)   #413
CDM
Racer

CDM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It! View Post
Most interesting was to see the orange rocket with the NZV8 title sponsor sticker on it being driven by the much leaner TMC sponsorship manager. Was the BNT sticker where the commission percentage was spent or is it a repeat of Taupo again?
Actually all the Sports GT & Production GT cars are required to run BNT stickers on the bonnet or front of the car, so sorry no conspiricy there...
Old 17 Jan 2012, 08:12 (Ref:3012710)   #414
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDM View Post
Actually all the Sports GT & Production GT cars are required to run BNT stickers on the bonnet or front of the car, so sorry no conspiricy there...
Well it was a question rather than a theory. Wasn't exactly glued to the coverage and really only noticed two or three cars. Maybe the BNT logo looks bigger on the orange thing as I never really noticed it on other few cars I saw on TV.

Anyway, cheers for filling in the void of info.
Old 17 Jan 2012, 11:03 (Ref:3012772)   #415
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDM View Post
Really, you should ask some harder questions. Why is it that only some cars where running a BNT sticker in a prominent position? I looked for them on cars in both classes and a lot weren't running one. Not a lot of uptake there.

And if that was a requirement to get TV coverage, why weren't other classes offered that last year? It would have been very easy to get compliance for the benefit of TV coverage. Aren't TMC supposed to be responsible for that; they have a Sponsorship Manager?

Some of you just won't accept the notion that it isn't a level playing field. Wake up and smell the roses.
Old 17 Jan 2012, 11:14 (Ref:3012778)   #416
Just Do It!
Veteran

Unfortunately, whilst looking similar to roses, the scent is somewhat different.

Thanks for the correction - thought I was a blind bugger there for a moment or two on the BNT sticker issue.

Maybe the field had more competitors than was anticipated and the promoters got put on the spot without sufficient sponsor stickers?
Old 17 Jan 2012, 11:39 (Ref:3012792)   #417
DX20VT
Racer

DX20VT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It! View Post
Unfortunately, whilst looking similar to roses, the scent is somewhat different.

Thanks for the correction - thought I was a blind bugger there for a moment or two on the BNT sticker issue.

Maybe the field had more competitors than was anticipated and the promoters got put on the spot without sufficient sponsor stickers?
Sports and Production GT were given the large BNT stickers at Ruapuna,
and smaller Mike Pero 200 one to go near the numbers on the side.

At teretonga they were only given BNT 200 ones to replace the Mike Pero 200 Ones, so those competitors that were not at Raupuna would not have had the Large BNT ones.
Old 17 Jan 2012, 18:36 (Ref:3012962)   #418
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by DX20VT View Post

At teretonga they were only given BNT 200 ones to replace the Mike Pero 200 Ones, so those competitors that were not at Raupuna would not have had the Large BNT ones.
You are obviously closer to this than I am, so thanks for the clarification. Would it be unfair then to think that this is another example of someone doing a poor job of ensuring that sponsors requirements are met (as CDM pointed out)?

To me it's either complacency or incompetence.
Old 17 Jan 2012, 20:50 (Ref:3013041)   #419
Just Do It!
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX20VT View Post

Cheers for the clarification.
Old 17 Jan 2012, 20:52 (Ref:3013045)   #420
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Southern Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How many people viewing this forum have forgotten about where VEEGA fits into all of this and what actually casued the split into the two fractions. Perhaps we are blaming TMC and MotorSport NZ too much for what has actually transpired
Old 17 Jan 2012, 22:45 (Ref:3013099)   #421
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
How many people viewing this forum have forgotten about where VEEGA fits into all of this and what actually casued the split into the two fractions. Perhaps we are blaming TMC and MotorSport NZ too much for what has actually transpired
But VEEGA is majority owned by TMC is it not?
Old 17 Jan 2012, 22:52 (Ref:3013102)   #422
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
speaking of VEEGA..

will we ever find out who paid for this car?
Old 17 Jan 2012, 22:57 (Ref:3013106)   #423
Biggy G
Veteran

Biggy G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If someone publicizes their bank accounts maybe?
Old 17 Jan 2012, 23:10 (Ref:3013113)   #424
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
well i checked mine and it wasn't me
Old 17 Jan 2012, 23:14 (Ref:3013116)   #425
Biggy G
Veteran

Biggy G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Same, 2 down, 4,435,467 to go

Stats courtest of http://www.stats.govt.nz/tools_and_s...ion_clock.aspx