Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 30 Jan 2012, 08:21 (Ref:3018769)   #576
Jerico
Veteran

New Zealand
Jerico should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Revhead View Post
I could day plenty. But I'll just let the above pics do the talking
You said day I think you meant play. What are you playing with Mr Rev?
Old 30 Jan 2012, 08:26 (Ref:3018771)   #577
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerico View Post
The photo of the ST is without the collapsible bolt in rail ends and the fully welded rear panel fitted plus the ST runs an HSS rear bumper iron. The fuel cell is a long way in from the rear of the car held in a steel the fuel cell fitted to the NZV8s that have run that way for years.SC is a very different car in the rear end from the ST. SC will run a transaxle and the in car fuel cell. I do hear that some drivers and teams are not happy about having the fuel cell inside the car with the driver. I wonder why??? The photo posted here yesterday of the ST doesn't really show the chassis very well, so it makes you think it's a very simple design which it is not!
Thank you Jerico, I wonder why we bother, still they say ignorance is bliss.

I know I could not possibly persuade the knockers and haters on this thread, or the V8ST thread for that matter, which is why I sent a private pm to Revhead when he expressed his concerns about the safety of our cars.

The explanation was sent to him in good faith yet he choose to publish it on this thread in order to make capital of it.

Mark Petch.
V8Supertourers Ltd
Old 30 Jan 2012, 09:17 (Ref:3018787)   #578
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Mr Revhead has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Capital my arse.
Several times you have sent a PM instead of answering valid questions and/or statements in the body of the thread. At no point did you say "please keep this to yourself" In fact I replied to your pm asking why you chose to not reply in thread. You did not reply so I posted it in here.
So don't come moaning on on here about me being a hater or whatever.
Pull ya head in and participate in the discussion or bugger off.

Those pics quite clearly show either an incomplete car, or an inferior design.
Old 30 Jan 2012, 09:18 (Ref:3018788)   #579
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
You said day I think you meant play. What are you playing with Mr Rev?

lol, I meant say.
Old 30 Jan 2012, 09:21 (Ref:3018790)   #580
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
The photo of the ST is without the collapsible bolt in rail ends and the fully welded rear panel fitted plus the ST runs an HSS rear bumper iron. The fuel cell is a long way in from the rear of the car held in a steel box.Unlike the fuel cell fitted to the NZV8s that have run that way for years.SC is a very different car in the rear end from the ST. SC will run a transaxle and the in car fuel cell. I do hear that some drivers and teams are not happy about having the fuel cell inside the car with the driver. I wonder why??? The photo posted here yesterday of the ST doesn't really show the chassis very well, so it makes you think it's a very simple design which it is not!
What's an HSS bumper iron?

Anyone moaning about fuel cell placement in a SC is obviously full of it, or has not seen it in place. Take a look at those pics again. It's not inside with the driver. It's enclosed in a steel casing.

Looks like the rear bulkhead extends out to enclose it.
Old 30 Jan 2012, 20:03 (Ref:3019058)   #581
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
High Speed Steel - very tough and very hard.
Old 31 Jan 2012, 03:49 (Ref:3019234)   #582
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The photo of the ST is without the collapsible bolt in rail ends and the fully welded rear panel fitted plus the ST runs an HSS rear bumper iron. The fuel cell is a long way in from the rear of the car held in a steel box.Unlike the fuel cell fitted to the NZV8s that have run that way for years.SC is a very different car in the rear end from the ST. SC will run a transaxle and the in car fuel cell. I do hear that some drivers and teams are not happy about having the fuel cell inside the car with the driver. I wonder why??? The photo posted here yesterday of the ST doesn't really show the chassis very well, so it makes you think it's a very simple design which it is not!
But is it safer than the V8SC COTF?
Old 31 Jan 2012, 04:26 (Ref:3019245)   #583
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
hmmm an increase in numbers.. and we're now safely back into double figures
Old 31 Jan 2012, 05:28 (Ref:3019253)   #584
Biggy G
Veteran

Biggy G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Got a few shots of the Next Gen NZV8 at Ruapuna

Full album here: http://imgur.com/a/96V0Y

or on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/grangerdesign
Old 31 Jan 2012, 05:42 (Ref:3019255)   #585
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
cheers G!
Old 31 Jan 2012, 05:53 (Ref:3019258)   #586
Jerico
Veteran

New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappelli View Post
But is it safer than the V8SC COTF?

Depends what safety point you are referring to, if you are talking about the fuel tanks then the SC is probably safer in a high speed rear end crash. But don't forget in recent times we have only seen one fuel cell explode, then suddenly we need to redesign the car?
I think the main reason they moved the tank forward was for weight purposes,after the fitting of the new trans axel. Safety doesn't end with just rear end hits, what happens if a car leaves the track and mounts a barrier puncturing the tank, or runs over debris on the track.
There could be a drive line failure and the result is a fire because you have ruptured the fuel tank. Then what do you do, pull to the side of the track and wait for help? The car is on fire the paint is burning off the inside of the floor, the car is full of smoke and fumes. You have two choices, stay in the car and you can't breath or climb out through the flames that are pouring out from under your car? If it was me I would prefer the fire to be contained at the back end of the car, which would be the case with the ST car
There's pro's and con's with both concepts.
Old 31 Jan 2012, 06:21 (Ref:3019259)   #587
RogerH
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
RogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

From what I inferred from TV3 tonight Angus Fogg is looking to jump to ST (plus I've heard another "star" NZV8 driver is also contemplating making the switch).
If this happens it looks like NZV8/MRX would be a dead duck - thanks MSNZ for probably blowing members $ on MRX design and jigs ...........
Old 31 Jan 2012, 06:26 (Ref:3019260)   #588
Jerico
Veteran

New Zealand
Quote:
What's an HSS bumper iron?

Anyone moaning about fuel cell placement in a SC is obviously full of it, or has not seen it in place. Take a look at those pics again. It's not inside with the driver. It's enclosed in a steel casing.

Looks like the rear bulkhead extends out to enclose it.
HSS is High strenght Steel, cars of today have a large content of HSS and HSAS Steel, which is High Strenght Alloy Steel.

You will find HSS steel in the doors of the ST.

There is also Boron Steel, which is an advanced high strength steel, to drill this steel you need a special and expensive drill bit as a normal drill bits will not drill it.
Old 31 Jan 2012, 06:31 (Ref:3019262)   #589
Point2
Rookie

Point2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Depends what safety point you are referring to, if you are talking about the fuel tanks then the SC is probably safer in a high speed rear end crash. But don't forget in recent times we have only seen one fuel cell explode, then suddenly we need to redesign the car?
I think the main reason they moved the tank forward was for weight purposes,after the fitting of the new trans axel. Safety doesn't end with just rear end hits, what happens if a car leaves the track and mounts a barrier puncturing the tank, or runs over debris on the track.
There could be a drive line failure and the result is a fire because you have ruptured the fuel tank. Then what do you do, pull to the side of the track and wait for help? The car is on fire the paint is burning off the inside of the floor, the car is full of smoke and fumes. You have two choices, stay in the car and you can't breath or climb out through the flames that are pouring out from under your car? If it was me I would prefer the fire to be contained at the back end of the car, which would be the case with the ST car
Moving the fuel cell from the rear of the car (drop tank style) to under the rear passenger seat (split design with driveshaft thru the middle) made a huge difference in handling in my race car.
And in my opinion just as safe. Fuel is inside a bladder inside of tank, tank is concealed under removable panel.
Old 31 Jan 2012, 06:35 (Ref:3019263)   #590
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerH View Post
From what I inferred from TV3 tonight Angus Fogg is looking to jump to ST (plus I've heard another "star" NZV8 driver is also contemplating making the switch).
If this happens it looks like NZV8/MRX would be a dead duck - thanks MSNZ for probably blowing members $ on MRX design and jigs ...........
going by Fogg's Speedshow interview.. he didn't seem to care much for the split.. he just wanted to race.

so was Angus looking at buying a car or will he be filling an empty seat?
Old 31 Jan 2012, 06:54 (Ref:3019267)   #591
Jerico
Veteran

New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Point2 View Post
Moving the fuel cell from the rear of the car (drop tank style) to under the rear passenger seat (split design with driveshaft thru the middle) made a huge difference in handling in my race car.
And in my opinion just as safe. Fuel is inside a bladder inside of tank, tank is concealed under removable panel.
Not like your car the SC had no option but to move the tank, once they went to a trans axle. Having the fuel tank in it's normal position, caused a weight problem, which effected the balance of the car.

As I said there are pro's and con's.

Good for you, I hope it all works out okay for you.
Old 31 Jan 2012, 07:02 (Ref:3019268)   #592
RogerH
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
RogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
going by Fogg's Speedshow interview.. he didn't seem to care much for the split.. he just wanted to race.

I think there is general agreement by almost all that the split is counter-productive BUT ....... it now appears that the "star" drivers, entrants, sponsors and media are gravitating towards the ST and if drivers want to race, ST is going to be where the action is.

Unfortunately this would mean the NZV8/MRX will be the losers and MSNZ members will (again) front up by being charged extra on licence fees, entry fees etc for another suspect decision by MSNZ executive who should have stayed out of the commercial world they don't understand.

When I was racing the other weekend this NZV8/ST/TMC/MSNZ was a topic of conversation and a number of competitors had the attitude that although it would cost them $$ in the short term it was probably worthwhile to get rid of TMC and get MSNZ back to what they are meant to be doing.
Old 31 Jan 2012, 07:04 (Ref:3019270)   #593
Point2
Rookie

Quote:
Not like your car the SC had no option but to move the tank, once they went to a trans axle. Having the fuel tank in it's normal position, caused a weight problem, which effected the balance of the car.

Very true.
Worked well until it blew a fuel reg up front and fireballed the car!!!
Oh the irony of it all!!
Old 31 Jan 2012, 07:06 (Ref:3019271)   #594
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Assuming the transaxle decision was made before the fuel tank decision and not the other way around.
Old 31 Jan 2012, 07:15 (Ref:3019273)   #595
Point2
Rookie

In a enduro will they run a bigger tank? Or a secondary tank to flow to the original?
Old 31 Jan 2012, 07:21 (Ref:3019274)   #596
RogerH
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post

This is what was said on TV3 tonight : "With NZV8 championship leader Angus Fogg lining up for a place in the Supertourers, it's clear which series has the drivers vote.
While Fogg is likely to change camps to Holden
..."
Old 31 Jan 2012, 07:38 (Ref:3019276)   #597
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:

I suggest you have another look at the picture and see if you can spot what is wrong with your comments
Old 31 Jan 2012, 07:45 (Ref:3019278)   #598
Jerico
Veteran

New Zealand
Quote:
I suggest you have another look at the picture and see if you can spot what is wrong with your comments
If you think I'm wrong, then just say so, you don't have to beat a round the bush with me.
Old 31 Jan 2012, 07:49 (Ref:3019280)   #599
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
As I posted earlier the Fuel tank is not inside the cabin.
The bulkhead extends over it to enclosed it outside the cabin.
There 2 removable covers to access fittings in the top.
Which will be less risk than currant cars that have fuel and oil lines running through the cabin.
So your implications of a fire hazard due to the above scenarios are not valid.
Old 31 Jan 2012, 07:51 (Ref:3019282)   #600
Jerico
Veteran

New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappelli View Post
Assuming the transaxle decision was made before the fuel tank decision and not the other way around.
Let me say this, the trans axle and the fuel tank changes were not thought up over night. If they put the fuel tank in front of the rear axle, then they would need to put some replacement weight at rear axle, hence the trans axle.

In our car we have always tried as much as possible to put more weight at the rear of the rear axle, not less.

Last edited by Jerico; 31 Jan 2012 at 07:57. Reason: nothing.