Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 17 Feb 2011, 19:14 (Ref:2832894)   #401
Nick Ellis
Rookie

United Kingdom
Leicestershire
Nick Ellis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi folks,while we are on the subject of Australian Capris i have found some footage
on YouTube of possibly some of the cars CapriCarl mentions in his posts.
Sorry i can`t do the links bit yet,but try ATCC 1985 Sandown for starters,there is also a short feature on Steve Masterton with his Mk2 at Bathurst around 1979.
Some of these cars could have CC links.
Old 1 Apr 2011, 15:23 (Ref:2856903)   #402
Finbin
Rookie

England
Ashford
Finbin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi
Here is another old picture I found.
I don't know if is was a CC Racing car or not?
I wrote the details on the back of it, so I know the drivers, year, location and where it finished.
Who can get everything right in the quickest time?
Click image for larger version

Name:	Brut Capri.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	317.3 KB
ID:	32108
The second one I don't know anything about it except it was taken at pre-season test day on the Brands Hatch Gran Prix circuit.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Orange Capri.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	421.6 KB
ID:	32109
Old 2 Apr 2011, 08:54 (Ref:2857231)   #403
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just off the top of my head it would be Stuart Graham in the Faberge Capri from 1978. I'm guessing that's Silverstone. Anything more and I'll have to check my programmes and Autosports.
Old 2 Apr 2011, 09:32 (Ref:2857242)   #404
Finbin
Rookie

England
Ashford

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Just off the top of my head it would be Stuart Graham in the Faberge Capri from 1978. I'm guessing that's Silverstone. Anything more and I'll have to check my programmes and Autosports.
Morning

you have two correct.
Old 2 Apr 2011, 15:14 (Ref:2857385)   #405
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thruxton then.
Old 2 Apr 2011, 21:06 (Ref:2857526)   #406
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
The driver and car part of the question is simple enough: Graham, Faberge Capri.

The year, venue and results bit is quite tough!

I'm going for Trans Europe G1 race, September 1978, Silverstone TT meeting. I think he finished 3rd?

Absolutely no idea!!!!

The Mk1 Capri picture could be the ex Toleman special saloon?

Last edited by chunterer; 3 Apr 2011 at 07:18.
Old 4 Apr 2011, 06:19 (Ref:2858375)   #407
Finbin
Rookie

England
Ashford
Yes it was Stuart Graham, Faberge Capri (still not sure if it was a CC car?).

It was at Silverstone in the TT, but not 78,they didn't finish 3rd.

The second driver went on to driver in one F1 world championship race.
Old 4 Apr 2011, 17:28 (Ref:2858709)   #408
Nick Ellis
Rookie

United Kingdom
Leicestershire
The year was 1979,drivers were Stuart Graham/Tiff Needell(on loan from the Eden-
Durex F1 Chevron B41 team which he drove that year in Aurora AFX rounds).
Am fairly sure that the Graham Faberge Capris were built by Ted Graces team.
The car finished fourth overall and won the big engined GP1 class at the TT.
Old 5 Apr 2011, 07:28 (Ref:2858971)   #409
Finbin
Rookie

England
Ashford
I have Stuart Graham, Tiff Needell, 1979 and finished 4th written on the back of the photo.
I remember it being the TT at Silverstone.
Old 5 Apr 2011, 16:36 (Ref:2859242)   #410
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Ellis View Post
The year was 1979,drivers were Stuart Graham/Tiff Needell(on loan from the Eden-
Durex F1 Chevron B41 team which he drove that year in Aurora AFX rounds).
Am fairly sure that the Graham Faberge Capris were built by Ted Graces team.
The car finished fourth overall and won the big engined GP1 class at the TT.
Ted Grace built his cars? wow that's an interesting snippet. Thanks Nick, brilliant!

I always associated Grace with BMW's, but he also had quite a partnership with Yogi Muir IIRC? Was Brian's Mk2/3 Capri a Ted Grace built car, and then run by Martin Thomas before they started with the Rovers perhaps?
Old 6 Apr 2011, 17:16 (Ref:2859763)   #411
Nick Ellis
Rookie

United Kingdom
Leicestershire
Hi Chunterer,yes i ws told that little snippet at a Top Hat meeting three or four
years ago.The chap i was talking to had with him a Graham/Faberge Capri which
from the (original signwritten) livery dated it around 1978.This car was a former
Ford press/promotional tool.Stuart Graham had strong Ford connections at that
time,anyhow the owner who was now using it as a race car which it originally
wasnt,used to work for Ted Graces team spannering on the Graham Capris and
i believe the Camaros previously.The Capri is still occaisionally raced by Richard
Austin in Top Hat/CTCRC in Gp1 spec.The chap i was talking to was Alan Daffin.
I have raced against Daffins Mk1 myself although both his cars were somewhat
more developed than mine!
Old 11 May 2011, 18:52 (Ref:2878891)   #412
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi everyone,been taking a bit of interest in this thread,not had an awful lot to say about Capri's because of my lack of knowledge on them. However,they a huge fun to race! I am currently looking at buying one of the CC Racing versions,Chassis No CF001. Apparently this car was built for Gordon Spice as a road/tow car and indeed was used by him for this purpose I am told that the car is currently on 15in wheels,is this correct for the period? Any other info anyone can show me on this car would be very much appreciated , thanks in advance.
Old 15 May 2011, 05:42 (Ref:2880466)   #413
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Hi everyone,been taking a bit of interest in this thread,not had an awful lot to say about Capri's because of my lack of knowledge on them. However,they a huge fun to race! I am currently looking at buying one of the CC Racing versions,Chassis No CF001. Apparently this car was built for Gordon Spice as a road/tow car and indeed was used by him for this purpose I am told that the car is currently on 15in wheels,is this correct for the period? Any other info anyone can show me on this car would be very much appreciated , thanks in advance.

Is the X Pack body kit homologated?,the car has the original Tickford build sheets etc. Dont really want to turn it into a racer if it means ripping the body apart. BTW,it handles fantasticly,even on cheapo tyres!
Old 15 May 2011, 06:06 (Ref:2880470)   #414
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Terry,

The X Pack body kit was homologated for Group 2 in 1978 (ish). Prior to that the wheel arch extensions were more restricted. See the pics of Tom Pochciol's ex Holman Blackburn car in the Donington Festival thread.

Mechanically they also homologated triple carbs.
Old 15 May 2011, 12:51 (Ref:2880605)   #415
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Terry,

The X Pack body kit was homologated for Group 2 in 1978 (ish). Prior to that the wheel arch extensions were more restricted. See the pics of Tom Pochciol's ex Holman Blackburn car in the Donington Festival thread.

Mechanically they also homologated triple carbs.
Thanks for that Peter,I assume that the 15 inch wheels need to go as well?
Good to hear about the tripple carb set up,a friend has a set in his garage!
Old 15 May 2011, 15:36 (Ref:2880661)   #416
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Talking of the Pochciol's, I noticed that the other car they entered at Donington was an Equipe Esso Woodman esq version.

Wondering if this might be the car Jim McLoughlin was racing in CSCC or a different car altogether?
Old 15 May 2011, 16:27 (Ref:2880683)   #417
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Surely that was the Daffin Group 1 car.
Old 15 May 2011, 19:10 (Ref:2880746)   #418
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Surely that was the Daffin Group 1 car.
Ok, thanks Peter, I thought Alan Daffin's was the blue Mk1, i'm not all that knowledgeable on who's who in classic racing Capri's these days!!

I knew there was an Esso copy in CSCC and there's the guy who's got the pukka ex CC car, but I knew it couldn't have been the latter, it wasn't quick enough.
Old 16 May 2011, 20:10 (Ref:2881227)   #419
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anuauto View Post
In the first part of 1984 Roger Hancock bought a (former Group 1.5?) Capri from Andy Rouse with the intention of rallying it. Not sure whether it came with 3.0 engine but he then put a 2.8i in it for GpA. It was white IIRC and came on Minilites. I only ever saw it once and I don't think he kept it long as with a 2.8i it proved difficult to get much extra power over standard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post

Further to that, Annauto posted some time ago that a friend of his (Jeremy Easson was it?) bought a plain white 3.0 in early 1984 from Rouse and took it rallying , wonder if it was this car?
Did we ever clear up the question of the ex-Rouse car sold on for rallying? Annauto mentioned Roger Hancock buying the car, and fitting a 2.8, but his post implies that Hancock may have moved it on fairly quickly- but where?

We speculated about Jeremy Easson, who was certainly rallying a Grp A Capri in 1985/6, but I've recently spotted something else interesting in an old Autosport.
In a December 1985 issue (don't have it to hand and can't recall the exact date) there's a season review article for that year's National Rally Championship, which refers to Nigel Worswick running a Group A Capri- the article specifically describing the car as an 'ex-racing' 3-litre.

There's a pic showing a light-coloured car, with a distinctive personal registration plate 'NAW7'.

I don't know how widely it was rallied- the article says there was a DNF on the first round of the series, the Gwynedd (IIRC a broken flywheel), and it wasn't seen again until mid-season, when it returned, scoring a Group A win on at least one event.

Any chance this could be the ex-Rouse car? Group A Capris weren't all that common on the British rally scene in the 80's
Old 17 May 2011, 17:15 (Ref:2881729)   #420
Nick Ellis
Rookie

United Kingdom
Leicestershire
The Worswick Capri was certainly an ex-BTCC circuit racer.The car was the Mike
Newman GpA car he used in BTCC/ETC in 1983-84.I think he may have sold it either
to Worswick directly or it is possible Tony Sugden aquired the car from Newman,
then it was sold to worswick who did use it for rallying in the British Rally championship around `85/86.The car was originally an Equipe Esso car from
Vince Woodmans team.This could be the 1982 Woodman/Buncombe Silverstone TT
machine which ran as an intrim Gp1-GpA specification,having the suspension,brakes,(rear discs for GpA) and engine mods to suit.Remember Newman did used to enter the car in not only the TT,but also the Donington 500.If it was the Woodman `82
TT car it may already have had the long range fuel tank which made it usable in
the longer ETC races.
Old 17 May 2011, 18:17 (Ref:2881759)   #421
ORP
Rookie

United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
ORP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Nick Ellis;2881729]The Worswick Capri was certainly an ex-BTCC circuit racer.The car was the Mike
Newman GpA car he used in BTCC/ETC in 1983-84.I think he may have sold it either
to Worswick directly or it is possible Tony Sugden aquired the car from Newman,

That is interesting, I am wondering if the car is still around?

Chunterer -- Did you get a pic of the 'Esso Equipe Woodman esq' capri you mentioned?
Old 17 May 2011, 20:38 (Ref:2881832)   #422
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORP View Post
That is interesting, I am wondering if the car is still around?

Chunterer -- Did you get a pic of the 'Esso Equipe Woodman esq' capri you mentioned?
Hi ORP, good to have you back

Yes I took a few shots of some of the cars in the Paddock, you haven't sold your car have you?!!!!!!!

I'll see if I can upload it.
Old 17 May 2011, 21:18 (Ref:2881849)   #423
Nick Ellis
Rookie

United Kingdom
Leicestershire
As Mike Newman is well known to still own his BTCC RS500 and the Vauxhall special
saloon he campaigned in northern events,it is also clear from articles he regreted
parting with the Capri.Unfortunately i am sure this CC built car was lost,IIRC it
was destroyed on the rally special stages at some point around 1986.
Old 18 May 2011, 10:26 (Ref:2882054)   #424
ORP
Rookie

United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
Thanks for the information Nick, that is very helpful. Seems a crying shame - knowing the work that went into the last of the 'CC' built cars that it was possibly used as a rally car and subsequently destroyed.
Old 18 May 2011, 10:45 (Ref:2882061)   #425
ORP
Rookie

United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Hi ORP, good to have you back

Yes I took a few shots of some of the cars in the Paddock, you haven't sold your car have you?!!!!!!!

I'll see if I can upload it.

Hi Chunterer, No it was still there the last time I looked!!

Tags
andy rouse, belga, belgian touring cars, broadspeed, capri mk3, cc motorsport, cc racing development, chris craft, dave cook, equipe esso, gordon spice, group 1, group 1 capri, group 1.5, jeff allam, jonathan buncombe, martin brothers, neil brown, pete clark, spa 24 hours, swindon engines, tricentrol, vince woodman