Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 8 Jun 2011, 06:33 (Ref:2893250)   #426
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is it known how many of the CC Racing 'Capri Spa Francorchamps' survive?
I ask as I am about to buy No 001,its in extremely good condition with everything it left CC with-Original engine,Box, Suspension set up.It also has a full History file,magazine article and the Build sheet from Tickford for the X Pack Body. I would be interested to know if the other five still exist.
Old 3 Aug 2011, 11:08 (Ref:2935329)   #427
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Interesting new shots have cropped up (sorry....) on flickr featuring a rare one of Jeff Allam's BP car and the usual mob of Spice vehicles etc.

Donington, presumably 1979, as there's an RX7 in there as well:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1632976...57627199449284
Old 3 Aug 2011, 11:09 (Ref:2935330)   #428
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
A minor diversion from the CC cars to the Spice, Stuart Graham and Jeff Allam versions- nice pics though!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1632976...in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1632976...n/photostream/

Looks like we were posting the same pics simultaneously!

Last edited by KA; 3 Aug 2011 at 11:24.
Old 3 Aug 2011, 13:03 (Ref:2935382)   #429
Groupc
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
Groupc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

They're mine, all mine !

Hope you like them.
Old 3 Aug 2011, 13:10 (Ref:2935389)   #430
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groupc View Post
They're mine, all mine !

Hope you like them.
Certainly do- you've posted some great pics there!
Old 3 Aug 2011, 16:10 (Ref:2935440)   #431
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Donington, presumably 1979, as there's an RX7 in there as well:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1632976...57627199449284
Walkinshaw's RX7 had a different shaped Pentax window sticker for the Silverstone GP and Mallory Park rounds so possibly not 1979 or he had a new colour scheme.
Old 4 Aug 2011, 08:13 (Ref:2935680)   #432
Groupc
Racer

England
Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBRM View Post
Walkinshaw's RX7 had a different shaped Pentax window sticker for the Silverstone GP and Mallory Park rounds so possibly not 1979 or he had a new colour scheme.
The sages on TNF also thinks it's 1979 as they have identified some FF2000 images from the same reel of film as 1979.

Personally I have no idea

Last edited by Groupc; 4 Aug 2011 at 08:14. Reason: typo
Old 4 Aug 2011, 08:18 (Ref:2935681)   #433
Nick Ellis
Rookie

United Kingdom
Leicestershire
Nick Ellis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi all,great pics Group c more please if you have them.
This is 1979 possibly the first Donington round of that season;Allam did not run a Capri after `79,by 1980 he was driving in the new Triplex/Motor Rover SD1,also the
Walkinshaw Mazda did not run before 1979,(Tom had the BMW 530i during 1978).
Then that leaves the Capris of the others in these photos;Allams car would be sold on to Nick Whiting(All Car Equipe 1980)ánd the Spice No2 would be in the capable
hands of Chris Craft,he wore a black helmet,Rouse at that time had a red lid.
Rouse joined the Spice team for 1980,his car defined by a yellow front edge bonnet strip.
Old 4 Aug 2011, 09:07 (Ref:2935693)   #434
Groupc
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Ellis View Post
Hi all,great pics Group c more please if you have them.
This is 1979 possibly the first Donington round of that season;Allam did not run a Capri after `79,by 1980 he was driving in the new Triplex/Motor Rover SD1,also the
Walkinshaw Mazda did not run before 1979,(Tom had the BMW 530i during 1978).
Then that leaves the Capris of the others in these photos;Allams car would be sold on to Nick Whiting(All Car Equipe 1980)ánd the Spice No2 would be in the capable
hands of Chris Craft,he wore a black helmet,Rouse at that time had a red lid.
Rouse joined the Spice team for 1980,his car defined by a yellow front edge bonnet strip.

Typical, Andy Rouse in the # 2 Capri was about the only thing I'd been certain of ! OK, Chris Craft's name going on Flickr now.

Thanks for details.
Old 4 Aug 2011, 14:39 (Ref:2935828)   #435
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just to show I'm not going mad!!

Silverstone GP - Tom Walkinshaw behind Rex Greenslade:-

Mallory Park:-

Hopefully you can see what I mean by the windscreen sticker.
Old 8 Sep 2011, 14:57 (Ref:2952751)   #436
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
It was great to talk to Vince Woodman at Mallory and Donington recently, but i'm kicking myself for completely missing the opportunity to grill him about CC Capris!!!
Old 11 Nov 2011, 19:38 (Ref:2984485)   #437
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORP View Post
Hi Chunterer, No it was still there the last time I looked!!
I suspect this maybe of significant interest if you can manage to give her an airing!

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130844
Old 14 Nov 2011, 06:17 (Ref:2986020)   #438
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Is it known how many of the CC Racing 'Capri Spa Francorchamps' survive?
I ask as I am about to buy No 001,its in extremely good condition with everything it left CC with-Original engine,Box, Suspension set up.It also has a full History file,magazine article and the Build sheet from Tickford for the X Pack Body. I would be interested to know if the other five still exist.

Do I take this to be an impossible question?
Old 15 Nov 2011, 14:42 (Ref:2986731)   #439
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Just been offered a set of Tripple Weber 42s on a Capri manifold,are they expensive at 2200?
Old 12 Dec 2011, 08:04 (Ref:2998664)   #440
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Not exactly CC but interesting non the less. Ex Stuart Graham ,Gomm built Mk2 shell on the bay. Last owner Terry Nichols,in Gulf colours,alloy arched so now Grp2. current bid is 1850.
Old 12 Dec 2011, 11:37 (Ref:2998733)   #441
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Not exactly CC but interesting non the less. Ex Stuart Graham ,Gomm built Mk2 shell on the bay. Last owner Terry Nichols,in Gulf colours,alloy arched so now Grp2. current bid is 1850.
Wow, that's got some history?

IIRC, Stuart Graham ran that in the Tricentrol's right up until 1980 IIRC, then Nicholls ran it in Group A (it may only have been the Donington 500 in 1983), and then it became the Gartrac GAA engined Special Saloon?

Terry would that car be worth a full restoration to G1 spec, or at least Grp A?
Old 12 Dec 2011, 11:47 (Ref:2998739)   #442
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Group A and Group 1 bodywork would be the same, no wide arches. It ran as Gp2 at Donington (I thought it was '82). The 3l Capri was never homologated for Group A, only the 2.8i.

Certainly it wouldn't be difficult to build into a Gp1 Car in fact I have all the bits necessary. The wheelarches and lightweight panels would need to be replaced, other than that I suspect all the mounting points are Gp1 because by the end of Group 2 you couldn't move mounting points around.
Old 12 Dec 2011, 12:03 (Ref:2998746)   #443
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Group A and Group 1 bodywork would be the same, no wide arches. It ran as Gp2 at Donington (I thought it was '82). The 3l Capri was never homologated for Group A, only the 2.8i.

Certainly it wouldn't be difficult to build into a Gp1 Car in fact I have all the bits necessary. The wheelarches and lightweight panels would need to be replaced, other than that I suspect all the mounting points are Gp1 because by the end of Group 2 you couldn't move mounting points around.
Great maybe Terry buys it and you and him can 'do a deal' to sort the thing out!!

I know what you mean about the homologation, I think you and I have discussed this before. The 3.0 was homologated as Gp1 but the cars did run with appropriate spec mods in GpA as well. Messrs Newman, Chatfield, Goode were all exponents once G1 ended plus there were numerous cars in Germany etc

I'm not completely 100pc about the Nicholls car but I'm sure he shared with Les Blackburn in that '83 Donington ETC round I mentioned?
Old 12 Dec 2011, 12:07 (Ref:2998749)   #444
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Lol,

It was sent to me a while ago. I have expended my racing budget so not interested. I had hoped to buy the ex Spice/Thomas car but when it came up for sale I'd already comitted to the MGB. Hey ho.
Old 12 Dec 2011, 22:16 (Ref:2998944)   #445
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Lol,

It was sent to me a while ago. I have expended my racing budget so not interested. I had hoped to buy the ex Spice/Thomas car but when it came up for sale I'd already comitted to the MGB. Hey ho.
Ha ha nice one! What happened to the spice car then? Dave told me once he still had the original red wings tucked away when he had it?
Old 12 Dec 2011, 22:49 (Ref:2998963)   #446
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I understand he sold it lock, stock and barrel.
Old 13 Dec 2011, 11:15 (Ref:2999112)   #447
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Just been offered a set of Tripple Weber 42s on a Capri manifold,are they expensive at 2200?
That sounds a bit expensive to me. I bought a metro a few years ago with an essex fitted with those on it for IIRC about £1400-1500. admittedly it was bought for the carbs.
Old 13 Dec 2011, 11:39 (Ref:2999124)   #448
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Thanks for that Sam,yes it was expensive,now sorted from a different source at half of the other price, Fully Rebuilt Carbs,whereas the other set needed stripping etc. Feels great building my own car to how I want it [it will be fully compliant]
Old 14 Dec 2011, 09:57 (Ref:2999599)   #449
ORP
Rookie

United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
ORP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Any update on this item?
Old 14 Dec 2011, 12:17 (Ref:2999646)   #450
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Went at 3100 two days ago.

Tags
andy rouse, belga, belgian touring cars, broadspeed, capri mk3, cc motorsport, cc racing development, chris craft, dave cook, equipe esso, gordon spice, group 1, group 1 capri, group 1.5, jeff allam, jonathan buncombe, martin brothers, neil brown, pete clark, spa 24 hours, swindon engines, tricentrol, vince woodman