Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 19 Nov 2002, 08:43 (Ref:432063)   #26
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Can be done ww - you're not exactly lifting it, more taking the weight of it, if that makes sense. Thanks for the update on MSA/MSI

Oh and I believe congratulations are in order...?
Old 19 Nov 2002, 19:01 (Ref:432469)   #27
Richard Sneader
Veteran

Scotland
Grays, Essex
Richard Sneader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Wickedwitch,
With regardsto what I suggested about moving saloons from gravel, I have as I said done this with me and one other, You both stand by to the rear of each wheel but slightly to on side so you don't get pelted with anything.
Hope this clears things up.
Years ago at Donington park at the cage we used to have a motorised winch.You ran out to the gravel with the amazing speed of the wire coming off the spool, hook up and eventully the motor turned and pulled the car to safety.
Richard S.
Old 19 Nov 2002, 19:32 (Ref:432489)   #28
wickedwitch
Racer

wickedwitch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ahhh - I see what you mean, thanks guys, but Richard, didn't this put a lot of strain on your back (and that of your colleague) as surely you would be bent over & taking the strain & ready to jump aswell. I ask as I have been having some back problems of late.

On the motorised winch thing - that sounds good. ~If we could get the circuit to install such a thing it would really be ideal for low numbers of marshals. I suppose they wouldn't be all that expensive either. Does Donnington still have it - and if not, why not, did it cause any problems or did it just break?
Old 19 Nov 2002, 19:39 (Ref:432491)   #29
wickedwitch
Racer

Oh and thanks EP re: MOTY. I was quite stunned really (even more so than last year) and I must confess that I feel far FAR less comfortable with it this time (in fact it's quite embarrassing) but I thank you for the congrats.
Old 19 Nov 2002, 22:24 (Ref:432623)   #30
Richard Sneader
Veteran

Scotland
Grays, Essex
Richard Sneader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WW,
I believe the motorised winch at Donno was so old that it passed on to the giant engine in the sky. Regards the other item, if you were on post in the morning and as I do if I dont know anyone is ask if anyone has any injuries/ problems or if a marshal tells me then I do not use them in a situation were they can make things worse for themselves. However as long as the correct technique of bent knees keeping back straight and allowing your legs to do the work this should help. When doing this though if it does get to the point that it feels like the car is being lifted by the marshals and not going anywere, then I would most certainly abandon the push thus helping to put to much strian on anyones back. As I have said it is all down to experience and team work even if there is only a couple of you. I would never ask anyone to do anything I am not prepared to do my self.
And as long as I am carrying this technique out I always talk to the marshals with instruction and cheking that everyone is OK as well as encouragement.
Hope this answers your question.
Rich.
Old 19 Nov 2002, 22:32 (Ref:432633)   #31
Guisbro Rod H
Racer

Guisbro Rod H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wickedwitch - MOTY. Richly deserved

For your information and as serverbrainfailure implied Croft can do it quickly. Typically 1 to one & half minutes or much less than one full lap. Also done under double waved yellows with waved yellow upstream on pit exit.
Can be done with 2 course marshals and 4x4 truck driver. One course with rope and hook, other course on safety look out.
Problem is that it is limited to effectively two corners. Biggest problem is often positioning snatch vehicle intelligently for snatch without compromising safety.
Old 19 Nov 2002, 22:46 (Ref:432646)   #32
wickedwitch
Racer

Thanks Rich & Rod for that info. I suppose it is a matter of using the head while giving it a go (from the legs as Rich rightly says) but being ready to abandon task if the strain is too much or if you're getting nowhere. Rod knows that sometimes a seemingly impossible to push car (Stryker @ d12) can suddenly budge a little and become shiftable.

Re: MOTY - Thanks for the vote of confidence Rod - wish I had that same confidence.
Old 20 Nov 2002, 08:51 (Ref:432941)   #33
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
WW - you deserved it as much as anyone who put the work in this year hon - so just enjoy
Old 22 Nov 2002, 12:44 (Ref:434602)   #34
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Marshalling techniques when numbers are low

Quote:
Originally posted by EvilPumpkin
It's felt there are too many instances of SC and session stop for comparatively small incidents - cars in a head on position etc.

Does anyone have any recommended methods for shifting a car out of the gravel trap when you only have 1, maybe 2, available course marshals?
Korean style, mix 2 students and one ex national service guy none of whom speak english with f3 drivers who
a) don't know the circuit
& b) have cold tyres

Stir well and pray that your radio will actually work and the other English (sorry Allister, British) guy will back you up.
Old 7 Dec 2002, 19:47 (Ref:445200)   #35
Recovery
Rookie

Recovery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Evilpumpkin,

Why not give me a call and I would be happy to come and haul you out of any gravel trap you find yourself in, we'll even let you have one of our famous sausage sandwiches when the job's done!
Old 8 Dec 2002, 00:22 (Ref:445320)   #36
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
LOL - you're offering me sausages again I see! Well I don't know - I think my own Rescue Unit might get stroppy if I was unfaithful to them