Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 6 Nov 2002, 15:02 (Ref:423008)   #26
Jenny
Racer

Jenny should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that would be a good idea, Cynic. I too know a few racers who could adopt a more, as you say, 'rounded perspective of the sport'!
Old 6 Nov 2002, 15:52 (Ref:423035)   #27
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
I have it on reasonably good authority that no race meeting where drivers have turned up will ever be abandoned on the grounds of lack of marshals. Worst case, they'll drag in a few drivers or their families/teams to wave a flag.

And I have actually seen this done before.
Old 6 Nov 2002, 16:32 (Ref:423059)   #28
Stoowert
Veteran

Zimbabwe
Caterham, Surrey
Stoowert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Was I dreaming or was a race meeting cancelled or changed from a long circuit to a short circuit meeting earlier in the year?

It's time the MSA got it's finger out it's corporate backside and took hold of marshalling in the UK & NI. The licence was a big step forward, but that was set up and run by the clubs!
You wouldn't expect Man Utd or Arsenal to supply refs and linesmen for a premiership match. The FA does this. What's the differance?

If a marshal has a grievence with a racing club, who do they turn to for real support?

As a trade union representative for over 10 years in the finance industry, a strike only has an effect if the workforce is 100% behind it. This will never happen. How many firefighters would turn up at Blackwall Firestation for no money?:confused:
Old 6 Nov 2002, 17:14 (Ref:423087)   #29
pinki
Racer

United Kingdom
Kent, England
pinki should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This subject has bounced around every now and again on ten-tenths and elsewhere for the last twelve months and we are still no closer to achieving anything.

For me it all started when, at the beginning of this year, we found out that there wouldn't be a permanent marshals campsite after the modifications were made to Silverstone and no amount of discussion with Octagon would make them change their minds, instead they tried to fob the marshals off with a few cans of Fosters and a burger at the GP.

Well for me that wasn't good enough so I made my stand and promptly apologised for every Silverstone meeting I had volunteered for and then sent back my GP tickets. My reasoning being was that I wasn't prepared to tow a caravan on a 300 odd mile round trip to marshal for the VSCC.

From that day I decided I would only do the meetings I wanted to do and that has remained the case. I'm quite sure next season I will do less days than I did this year.

I have said it many times before and will repeat it for our newer members, until the MSA and the clubs we marshal for get off their arses and take our grievances to the circuit owners we are always going to be treated like .... well you know what I mean.

Rant Over & Nuff Sed.
Old 6 Nov 2002, 18:20 (Ref:423118)   #30
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just an idea, having read eveyone's comments. Do any of you, when sending apologies and tickets back, give any reasons? Maybe, just maybe, if the people who actually send out the passes in the first place get loads returned with valid reasons (stuff you, I'm going to a better run event etc!!) then the message might start to get through to the right people.
Just a thought.
Old 6 Nov 2002, 18:32 (Ref:423126)   #31
Muppet
Racer

Muppet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, I went ballastic with AMOC after Donington in 2000, who at the time couldn't run a p*** up in a brewery. I was not a happy bunny after that one. They may have changed since then. Who knows? ;-)

Now I choose the events I want to go to rather than stick with a club, region or a circuit. These past couple of years have been the most enjoyable for marshalling I can remember.
Old 6 Nov 2002, 19:01 (Ref:423149)   #32
Jenny
Racer

Is 'cock-up' allowed? Seems to me that there is this great band of helpful, experienced and committed people who are completely ignored and, worse, undermined by the very organisations that need them. Goodness knows, the race entry fees are high enough already and the grids (because of classes put together in one race) are usually full so someone must be making money.But not the marshals...
Old 6 Nov 2002, 19:02 (Ref:423150)   #33
Stoowert
Veteran

Zimbabwe
Caterham, Surrey

How about this for a thought?
Maybe the clubs DO know why we are not turning up but, hey, the MSA are never gonna say "Sorry, all you drivers & teams, we need XX number of marshals and we only have XY!" Maybe I'm just getting cynical in my doteage!

Once again, it seems to be up to the MSA to make a stand. That will happen just after Crystal Palace win the European Cup!
Old 6 Nov 2002, 19:05 (Ref:423156)   #34
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Stoowert
Was I dreaming or was a race meeting cancelled or changed from a long circuit to a short circuit meeting earlier in the year?
We did a JCC meeting at the end of July where races had to be run on the club(?) circuit on the Saturday because of a shortage of marshals. I think there may have been other meetings where this has happened.
Old 6 Nov 2002, 19:30 (Ref:423177)   #35
icklimp
Racer

England
icklimp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cynic- this is something i have investigated, all drivers in australia have to marshal a day on bank to upgrade their licence to a national. i spoke to several people about doing that here and apparently legal bods have advised we cannot do it because motorsport is dangerous and it cannot be made mandatory for a driver to put themselves in a position of danger,

What i'm now doing instead is address my club's drivers through our bulletin/newsletter to make them aware of the issues.

we nearly had to cancel a day at loton park due to short numbers on the saturday, its amazing how many drivers can volunteer when they are told the meeting will be cancelled if they don't (they were all placed with experienced marshals). i've persuded one of them to write an article about his experinces that will shortly be appearing in the marshals guild newsletter, hopefully the fact it is coming from one of 'them' will persuade more drivers its agood idea to volunteer if they can't get an entry or have to drop out

Last edited by icklimp; 6 Nov 2002 at 19:31.
Old 6 Nov 2002, 20:42 (Ref:423231)   #36
Ian Smith
Racer

England
Tamworth Staff's
Ian Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps I am a sad person, But I go marshalling for ME, not the drivers,Not the circuit,Not the Clubs,( B A R C, B R S C C ,B R D C OR WHATEVER) and certainly not for the M S A. But I repeat for ME.As long as I enjoy it I will keep going, and when I stop enjoying it I will stop going.
Sorry about the Rant but as someone said earlier that me off the soap box.
Good luck and best wishes to all and I will see those that want to continue, Next year, and those that dont, Well we will miss you but you must do what you think is in your best interests.We are after all volounteers!!!
Old 7 Nov 2002, 00:03 (Ref:423407)   #37
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A thought is beginning to cross my mind here (not a long journey). perhaps the best idea is not to resign from the Marshals' Club. I refused to join the BRDC club when it was set up. I had the sneaking feeling it was a deliberate ploy to divide the Marshals. I've seen nothing to change my mind about that, and it certainly seems to have worked. Similarly marshals are memebers of many clubs, most of which are there for the competitors or circuits.

It would be more effective, perhaps, if all marshals resigned from the other clubs, writing to say why. Then write to the BMMC saying you wish to be represented on the following matters, if they are prepared to do so, then you'd like to join/will remain a member (delete as appropriate. Send a copy to the MSA stating your disatisfaction with the treatment of marshals and asking them what they intend to do.

While you're doing it, tell everyone you know who doesn't read this forum to do the same.

The clubs will suffer a significant loss of members/income, drawing their attention to the problem, and the BMMC might realise that their dreams of increased membership/income will be realised, but only if they get involved on their members behalf.

Any comments?
Old 7 Nov 2002, 02:35 (Ref:423456)   #38
Tosher
Rookie

Tosher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Suggest those concerned enough make direct contact with BMMC Chairman, Peter Roberts. He's keen to have your thoughts directly from you as I undertsand that he is still working very hard behind the scenes to press people to improve matters.
Old 7 Nov 2002, 08:01 (Ref:423577)   #39
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
It is true that until we have a Marshals Club that a) gets our support and b) does something to help the cause, we will never get anywhere. Wooley makes a very valid point!
Old 7 Nov 2002, 10:37 (Ref:423662)   #40
Ian Smith
Racer

England
Tamworth Staff's
Ian Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hear! Hear! Woolley Thats the best and most reasoned comments I have seen and all those who are worried & concerned should take head. I feel that this is the approach we as a group should take.
Old 7 Nov 2002, 17:53 (Ref:423995)   #41
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well Said Woolley !!!!

I hereby propose Mr. W. Olley as the Official spokesperson on behalf of this forum!!!

Just kidding mate, but a very well argued point.
Old 8 Nov 2002, 15:30 (Ref:424655)   #42
paul.hickman
Racer

United States
uk, mallorca & florida...
paul.hickman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For those of you who haven't - take a look at the thread ‘Stop Moaning – Take Action’ …
Old 9 Nov 2002, 22:22 (Ref:425292)   #43
andrew_powell98
Racer

andrew_powell98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I noticed in this months/ Quarter of trackside Pete Roberts says that questions about the Marshal Working Group have been raised but it has not been setup because of reasons that have conspired ro stiffle our efforts. However due to pressures George Copeland is the Marshals rep on the Assocation of British Motor Racing Clubs.
I would love to know what caused the marshals working group to fail.
I dont want to second guess the reason, but there are planty of people ( myself included) who have at times ranted about the way marshals are treated and that we should have some representation with the MSA. Will representaion on Assocation of British Motor Racing Clubs help I don't know? Does it have any clout behind it to get things done for marshals? We will have to wait and see. I can see why the marshal numbers are falling, and if we have the problems that many users have experieced then until that is sorted we will always have the problems. Personally I won't Marshal for Toca because of Tim Harvey and his comments about marshals. Although I agree with Ian I go marshalling for ME if I did not enjoy going to the circuit and marshalling I would have stopped on day 1. I would say to Jenny it is great to have drivers out on the bank as very often you give marshals advice which we have not thought off before in helping the drivers. I say we should get more out on the bank.
Old 10 Nov 2002, 00:27 (Ref:425381)   #44
Jenny
Racer

Andrew,I may be either naive or inexperienced in the matter and probably both (!) but what response has anyone had from direct contact with the race meeting organisers, like Grahame White at the HSCCand other such people? He is a very switched on guy and I'm would be worth a try to tee-up some drivers to marshal for next season. It would be a little early for racers to commit until they know the programmes for next season but certainly worth a try in before Christmas...
Old 11 Nov 2002, 08:30 (Ref:426212)   #45
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Andrew, membership or representation on the ABMRC could be helpful in instances where we feel that walkways or marshals 'boxes' need to be improved? In my opinion it can only be a good thing for us to be represented as a body and as a very important part of the nation and international motor racing scene. What I would like to see is open comment and feedback from the meetings in order that we are not 'kept in the dark' with regard to proposals etc.
Old 15 Nov 2002, 14:33 (Ref:429250)   #46
Stoowert
Veteran

Zimbabwe
Caterham, Surrey

Well, I've read with interest, the comments posted above, but I don't think I've seen anything to keep me in the BMMC. As Woolley & co has argued, until we have a marshal's club that actually addresses the issues that concern the bulk of it's membership - and is seen to be addressing same - then the £18.00 a year is better spent elsewhere. For the record, I'm still a member of the BRSCC, mainly for the pass & newsletter, but I do find the atmosphere at their meetings at Brands, Lydden & elsewhere to be a most relaxed and enjoyable experience. I'll be writing to Peter Roberts next week. I may copy the editor of "Trackside", I don't know yet... :confused:
Old 25 Nov 2002, 10:33 (Ref:436243)   #47
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Having read through this thread once again I have a suggestion to make. Why don't we individually write to the BMMC and ask what is being done, expressing our concern about the current poor state of new recruits and what is being proposed to improve both marshals working conditions and recruitment?

As I said in a previopus post in this thread, unless we make those at the top aware of our gripes, we are unlikely to get anything done. Make sense?
Old 25 Nov 2002, 11:27 (Ref:436278)   #48
alan-g
Racer

alan-g should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why don't we individually write to the BMMC and ask what is being done, expressing our concern about the current poor state of new recruits and what is being proposed to improve both marshals working conditions and recruitment?

Or even get out and go to the BMMC AGM at Donington!
Old 25 Nov 2002, 11:40 (Ref:436286)   #49
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Hi Alan,

Either would be a step forward as I'm sure you would agree!

Welcome to ten-tenths by the way...
Old 25 Nov 2002, 11:46 (Ref:436292)   #50
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Hi Alan,

Either would be a step forward as I'm sure you would agree!

Welcome to ten-tenths by the way...