Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 25 Nov 2002, 14:37 (Ref:436416)   #51
Stoowert
Veteran

Zimbabwe
Caterham, Surrey
Stoowert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I did write, and I got 2 replies! One from Peter Roberts, who DOES read this forum, and George Copeland. Both were very long and detailes responses to my main worries and concerns. I'll not go into the proposals they have put forward as I don't want to take their thunder, but what I can say is if the proposals are adopted, it with shut most of us moaners up! Just kidding! But it does give me cause for cautious optimism. I'm sure they will be publishing details soon as the BMMC does need a bit of good press for a change! Peter, don't hide your light under a bushmills!
Old 25 Nov 2002, 15:08 (Ref:436435)   #52
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I hope you are right Stoowert, if so they will have the backing of the majority of us I'm sure.
Old 13 Dec 2002, 21:49 (Ref:449364)   #53
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Why not join/renew BMMC?

I was fascinated to see someone suggesting that people go to the BMMC AGM at Donington last weekend. I had to go (see below) and was glad to see the people there. For the rest of you; I can only assume that absence and lack of submitted proposals means you are all content!

To declare an interest: I am the Chairman of the Midlands Region of the BMMC and a member for more years than I am going to admit to.

Is Stoowert really sure that the club is solely intended to provide some kind of advocacy for working conditions? This may be a part of what the club does but there are many other things.

I guess that talking about quiet (as opposed to megaphone) diplomacy will not impress everyone but it is at least an arguably way of working . Using that way we have got support from promoting clubd (mainly the smaller ones so far) and money from some of them.

People talk about making the BMMC aware of "our gripes". Believe me, all the members of the BMMC Council are very much aware and (since we are only just workers like you all) affected in just the same way. Try not to kick us but chat and make sure you are happy that we at least know what you are concerned about.

<Controversy> If you think that the international businesses which own most UK racing circuits are going to very troubled by whether you are happy or not, then you are not living in the real world.</controversy>

I keep saying to people that if you do not like what is going on at a circuit/club/organisation then either get involved and try and influence things or find another way of amusing yourself. I gave up Grand Prix meetings over 15 years ago (except for a couple of special cases recently (on my estimation, not anyone eles's)) and then gave up the RAC Rally four years ago. I miss the meeting up with friends but not the event as such. If it gives you pain, then walk away and go club racing, sprinting or rallying. I have and I have never regretted it. If you are really sad you could take up fishing or soccer! (No, don't even bother to reply!) Grassroots competitors and competition are so much more fun.

Even when I went to the Australian GP this year I thought that the people were great, the venue interesting and the organisation fantastic (why can't we do 1/10th as well) but the actual GP part of it was only so-so. Next time Bathurst!

Why did I not see all you people who are discontented with what the BMMC does standing for election to the Regional committees this year? <rant> Put up or shut up. </rant>

No offence intended; as I was always told in a previous job "If you can't take a joke, you shouldn't have joined"

Regards

Jim Whitaker
Old 14 Dec 2002, 16:01 (Ref:449841)   #54
Stoowert
Veteran

Zimbabwe
Caterham, Surrey
Gudday Jim! I trust you are well? I'm not saying that the ONLY reason for the marshal's club, but it must stand up for it's members otherwise it will degenerate into a group of marshals arranging whist evenings and beetle drives! Is the agenda for AGMs published in advance? If someone wanted to oppose a sitting committee member, how does one go about this?
I fully agree that an 8 sided shape could survive without doing a thing for marshals. My main gripe is with the MSA as they seem to be the only organisation able to exert any pressure on the circuit owners/managers to improve our working conditions. Anyone working in the UK must have noticed a significant improvement in their working conditions, until the weekend, when we go back to the dark ages, with a lack of any kind of concession to our well-being.
As an aside, I was talking to my brother today. He plays top-line hockey and his wife manages a group of sports centres. He tells me hockey is dying on its feet. Why? A severe lack of umpires and officials. Sound familiar? All amateur sport is reaching a crisis point, even rugby, no wonder the government is reluctant to support London's Olympics bid. No votes to had!
Oh well, looks like we all could be playing fish-football soon!
Old 14 Dec 2002, 16:59 (Ref:449879)   #55
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hi Stoowert. Assuming you are a BMMC member you should be getting the national newsletter "Trackside" which has details of the Club AGM and how to stand for election and how to submit proposals for discussion. (Last AGM was 8th December 2002). You will also be getting your Regional newsletter which has details of how to stand for the Regional committee and, again, how to submit proposals for discussion.

This year the Midland Region had about 30 people (plus the committee) turn up. That is out of some 450 members.

The Club does stand up for its members as best as it can. Sadly we do not get all we would like. Fact of life unless you are powerful and rich (and even then Bernie does not gat all he wants; ask him about pay-per-view!).

Regards

Jim Whitaker
Old 15 Dec 2002, 14:49 (Ref:450415)   #56
Richard Sneader
Veteran

Scotland
Grays, Essex
Richard Sneader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Jim,
I agree with all you have said. Hence as I wanted to help the club more I got involved and at the time joined the SW committee and now the SE committee of the BMMC as newsletter editor. I could not be at the AGM last week as I was packing up my house to move on the 11th Dec or I would have come down. I believe in that very theory. If you are not happy speak to those who can do something or help by offering ( i Know) some time on any committee vaccancies or even appraoach you region and just offer to help when it is needed.
Have a good Christmas Jim and will catch up in 2003. I may even make it back up to Donington for a couple of weekends.
Richard Sneader.
Old 16 Dec 2002, 08:27 (Ref:450898)   #57
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Jim,

First of all let me welcome you to ten-tenths and it is great to have a senior official of the BMMC on board.

I should start off by saying I am a member of the BMMC and have been for over 15 years. Your point about getting involved is very valid but, I would like to say that not all of us are able to get involved as much as we would like. As you will know to your cost, you need to be able to devote a great deal of time and effort if you are to become a committee member, something not all of us are able to do I'm afraid. I used to be involved with my childrens school as Chairman of the PTA and latterly as a Parent Governer and so I appreciate just how much time the 'voluntary' matters take!

I think one of the main gripes seems to be the lack of information flow back to the members. For example, many of us are aware of the working party but few of us are aware of what they have managed to achieve. If this issue were to be addressed then I believe a few more members would be happy to remain in the Club.

It is my opinion that the Club has a big part to play in supporting and fighting for marshals safety and rights. Lets try and work together to improve matters!
Old 16 Dec 2002, 10:11 (Ref:450958)   #58
paul.hickman
Racer

United States
uk, mallorca & florida...
paul.hickman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good morning Jim – and as been said above – ‘welcome on board’!

As for BMMC matters, I too have been a member for many years and have been somewhat vociferous of late on the lack of commitment shown to the volunteer marshals by the Club that purports to be the licensing and grading authority – i.e. the RACMSA. I do feel that the BMMC could – and should – be telling the world more about what it is doing behind closed doors. In fact I believe it palpably failed to take the high ground at the Formula 1 meeting last July at Silverstone where, as you know, the campsite was a travesty in relation to provided amenities (but that is another story from another thread!).

That said, I am aware of (some) of the debate within the MSA sub-committee, the Association of British Racing Motor Clubs, and look forward to positive statements being made about the present state and future aspirations for marshals and marshalling.

Finally, recently there was a poll in this forum to establish the gripes/pleasures of marshals and I also invited comments in a similar vein which are being included in (another) letter to Colin Hilton, RACMSA. When one cuts to the quick, the predominant issue is one of respect – respect for the professional job we all do from those in ‘authority’. Not really a lot to ask … and something that really should be freely given.

Have a great Christmas - Sarah and I look forward to meeting you in the New Year – hopefully before the Festival…
Old 16 Dec 2002, 17:16 (Ref:451258)   #59
Stoowert
Veteran

Zimbabwe
Caterham, Surrey

Have you been reading my mail again Hickman?
I couldn't have put it better myself!

Have a good pagan Winter Solstice and we'll corespond in the new year.

What is the point of the BMMC having a PRO? Very soon they wont have P to have R with!

I would have wtitten earlier, but I've just seen the Victoria's Secret fashion parade and I need a lie down!
Old 17 Dec 2002, 08:35 (Ref:451662)   #60
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Been watching Fashion TV again Stew?
Old 22 Dec 2002, 23:24 (Ref:455784)   #61
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Good points Jim, nice to have you on board.

You'll have noted that I am very much for the BMMC as representatives of all marshals, thus making for a stronger mandate.

As has been stated elsewhere, joining the committee is not always practical. I have a very busy social life weekdays, marshalling is a week-end hobby. I am prepared to do committees - I'm treasurer for my Operatic Society - but I flinch at the thought of another 100 mile found trip to do so. In any case, I am quite happy with the committee's running of the club. That is not where I believe the problem lies. I am also happy that the club is representing us at the highest levels, but the voice is subdued by the number of other clubs to which marshals belong.

Where I do have an issue is with the following:

Circuits who don't realise the valuable resource they are getting for free.

Clubs who represent themselves not their members (the race organisers, that is). Long days, poor grids and late finishes are a problem for the entrants as well as the marshals.

An organising body that doesn't. The MSA should be giving consideration to the marshals and ensuring their welfare even if clubs and circuits won't, enforcing the existing regs for a start. They don't even get sorted over the calendars and categories. See "BRSCC - any new ideas" in the National racing forum to see my thoughts on that and the responses which suggest I've struck a chord.

Finally, Chief Marshals and Clerks of the Course. I've recently become a CM myself, and the club know when appointing me that I will be a pain to them. I consider my first loyalty is to the marshals that turn out to assist and I will represent their welfare whenever I feel it is being affected. Does anyone do this at the circuits? With the possible exception of John Sadler, NO! If the organisers will not set sesible programmes/lunch breaks/finishing times the Chiefs should simply call an end to play by withdrawing the cover. The marshals will never get together to withdraw labour, and it is a credit to them that they contimue to put up with the circumstances. The Chief's, however, have no such excuse and should take the appropriate action.

have a good Christmas, everyone, and in the New Year, decide who is worthy of your time. You won't see me at the GP, for instance, until they sort out the campsites to an acceptable degree...