Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 28 Nov 2002, 22:22 (Ref:439076)   #1
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
West Kingsdown (near Brands Hatch)
Rod Birley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lydden 28th December

Lydden 28th December is definately ON for rallycross plus an interesting new feature! Because it is a Saturday things can start reasonably early but will obviously finish by sunset just after 3.30.Any one interested in marshaling should contact Paul Philips on 020 8854 6945. It is a BARC south eastern meeting and you can read the favourable comments from last weekend at Silverstone on another thread.
Old 29 Nov 2002, 19:11 (Ref:439561)   #2
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Stephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yippy Rallycross at Lydden, what more could anyone want for Christmas. And being a Saturday, should be enough time for 3 runs, rather than 2, before the finals.

Is it a one off event, or is there going to be a Lydden Winter Series again?
Old 1 Dec 2002, 19:46 (Ref:440693)   #3
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
The "extra" part of the meeting is a challenge between stock hatch and the Spedeworth stock rods. Two teams of 12 drivers..should be interesting. There will be return match on an oval in the new year.
Old 1 Dec 2002, 20:02 (Ref:440701)   #4
Stacy
Veteran

Australia
Stacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've told Peter Edwards I'd turn up to assist in some capacity, so long as I could watch whilst doing it anyway.

I've been talking to Autocross about renting a stock hatch for the event, but to be honest it's just too much aggro at the minute. The additional factor in deciding against racing there was that there's no testing - decided my first venture on the loose should be in a quiet field out of public view.. ;-)

Rod, are you going ?

Stacy
Old 1 Dec 2002, 21:07 (Ref:440730)   #5
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
Yes, I am responsible for the extra event..
Old 2 Dec 2002, 11:59 (Ref:441063)   #6
Hog
Racer

Hog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh gawd. I take it this challenge will be on the the old banger oval, or is it the 3/4 circuit. Either way I think the marshals are going to be kept busy.
Old 2 Dec 2002, 17:46 (Ref:441269)   #7
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Stephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Stock Rods verses Stock Hatch sounds great. So congratulations to those behind it.

Will be nice to see rear wheel drive Starlets and front wheel drive Novas, trying to mix it with all those Stock Hatch Peugeots.

Will the challenge be on the Rallycross circuit, and is there any clue as to when and were the oval rematch will be?

Last edited by Stephen H; 2 Dec 2002 at 17:47.
Old 2 Dec 2002, 22:14 (Ref:441411)   #8
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
Yes it is on normal rallycross circuit with normal format of three timed runs for each 8 car heat (3 groups of 8).No circuit alteration so marshals stay at normal points. The return event will be finalised soon, possibly at Ipswich on a Saturday night under floodlights.
Pat Doran will be running his RS200 on 28th Dec. and other supercars are expected to enter soon....watch this space.
Old 3 Dec 2002, 13:16 (Ref:441749)   #9
Hog
Racer

So when are we going to see Will Gollop - or is he just going to keep talking about making a comeback? It would be nice to see him mixing it again with the top boys.
Old 3 Dec 2002, 13:19 (Ref:441750)   #10
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Thanks for the info Mr Birley, really looking forward to seeing this event. It should benefit both rallycross and short circuit racing. (I`d certainly like to see some stock rod style paint schemes in stock hatch!)

On the subject of Lydden Hill, does anyone know how secure its long term future is? I hear its hopefully safe for 2years, but after that do McLaren still plan to bull doze the original circuit, to make way for a road car test track?
Old 3 Dec 2002, 13:35 (Ref:441771)   #11
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Stephen, there is a thread about this subject in one of the other forums (can't remember which one it is at the mom, sorry)
Old 3 Dec 2002, 14:26 (Ref:441816)   #12
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
Jackie and I will also be there, as we've never been to Lydden before. And if McLaren do decide to bulldozer the site, I want to be able to say at least once that I've been there.

Might even make a weekend of it and watch Saracens rugby at Watford on the Sunday!

Steve
Old 3 Dec 2002, 14:36 (Ref:441827)   #13
Gnomex
Veteran

Gnomex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why not come and visit the "Piston Broke Public House"? (otherwise known as the Lydden Rallycross Startline Marshals)- the meeting should be ace!

Lydden is THE track for rallycross - fast and furious!

Any marshals want to join us??
Old 3 Dec 2002, 18:20 (Ref:441985)   #14
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
Glad to see some enthusiasm building for this. It has taken alot of phone calls to make happen, lets hope it is worth it. Unfortunately both Will Gollop and John Cross are on holiday but hopefully Terry Briggs,Andy Grant and Mike Manning will bring their supercars. Mike is keen to get more mileage in his new steed.
The stock hatch team is being captained by Greg Rose, this year's champion. Should have the full teams by next week.
Old 3 Dec 2002, 18:31 (Ref:441996)   #15
QuickBrownFox
Racer

United Kingdom
Hailsham, East Sussex
QuickBrownFox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi ppl.

It would assist me to know what time is sign-on for marshals?

Also, any advice for Rallycross virgins?
Old 4 Dec 2002, 08:50 (Ref:442353)   #16
Gnomex
Veteran

Gnomex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Rallycross Virgin!! Luvverly!!

Seriously, signing on for a Saturday would normally be around 8/8.30 for a 9am kick off. Contact Paul Philips to get confirmation of times (details above) and let him know you're coming. Also you can phone the circuit office on 01304 830557 to check latest info re times, etc.

Rallycross is THE dogs dangly bits - us rallycross marshals are v.v. friendly (we wont bite)and if you let us know you're a "virgin" we promise to be gentle with you!

Most people know "Gnomex" at Lydden - drop by for a chat when you're there.
Old 4 Dec 2002, 09:09 (Ref:442365)   #17
Hog
Racer

The startline is THE best place for any rallycross virgin to spend a day eh Gnomex? I think it should be compulsory to make each marshal wear at least one item of clothing that they got for Xmas..... proban dressing gown anyone?
Old 4 Dec 2002, 18:34 (Ref:442706)   #18
QuickBrownFox
Racer

United Kingdom
Hailsham, East Sussex
QuickBrownFox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd prefer to leave the bondage gear at home if it's all the same with you chaps.
Old 5 Dec 2002, 08:57 (Ref:443104)   #19
Hog
Racer

Spoilsport. That's what makes the day so much fun........
Old 7 Dec 2002, 09:18 (Ref:444911)   #20
Brushpusher
Racer

Brushpusher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Hog
The startline is THE best place for any rallycross virgin to spend a day eh Gnomex? I think it should be compulsory to make each marshal wear at least one item of clothing that they got for Xmas..... proban dressing gown anyone?
Post 3 is probably the best post, even for a virgin, however, bondage gear is mandatory!!

See you there QBF.

Tony & Co
Old 7 Dec 2002, 10:05 (Ref:444926)   #21
pinki
Racer

United Kingdom
Kent, England
pinki should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know I've been quite for a while now but just to let you know it's quite possible I'll put in an appearance at Lydden as I haven't been down there since the beginning of the year and it will give Ali a chance to bring my birthday present
Old 9 Dec 2002, 09:06 (Ref:446162)   #22
Hog
Racer

Now the elbow is probably a good place as well for a newbie - gravel shower anyone?
Old 9 Dec 2002, 12:21 (Ref:446249)   #23
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
As I, for the usual obvious reasons, CAN'T marshal there, is there a recommended place where me and my wheelchair can sit and watch the action in relative safety? (keep it clean now!!!!!!!!).

Jackie will no doubt be pleased to be a virgin again and marshal anywhere she's put!

Steve T
Old 9 Dec 2002, 12:43 (Ref:446259)   #24
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
The beauty of Lydden is that you can see most of the track from almost anywhere. I would try and stick to the parts that are as dry as possible or even hang around the paddock for some close up action.
Old 9 Dec 2002, 12:49 (Ref:446262)   #25
Hog
Racer

Steve - why can't you marshal? We used to have a chap who was in a chair who used to assist with observing and jump starts. He thoroughly enjoyed his days up on the bank. As the startline line is only used once for each heat, passing traffic is virtually nil and is hence much safer than other posts. I would make some enquiries if I were you - you may be able to join us on the Piston Broke Lydden startline.