Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 9 Dec 2002, 14:13 (Ref:446304)   #26
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
Hog, that sounds a brilliant idea. I'll be on the phone to Paul tonight and will mention this.

My drawback regarding marshalling in general is that the MSA have instructed that I can't be on the bank marshalling or in pit lane, until such time as I can get around safely WITHOUT any aids like crutches and wheelchairs. Therefore I am having to be careful where I can put myself. It'll probably be a further 2-3 years before I can consider myself strong enough to do so.

Steve T
Old 9 Dec 2002, 22:56 (Ref:446628)   #27
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
West Kingsdown (near Brands Hatch)
Rod Birley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Almost there with the teams: Stock hatch includes Greg Rose (twice champion and a former oval racer which will be handy for the return)Shaun and Derek Holland (both have oval experience) Jim Cooke, Tony Scott (ex-Spedeworth) Julian Godfrey,Nick Briggs,Chris Cake,Roy Gravestock,Kirk Twyman,Nick Honour and Gary Dixon.10 Pug 205s, 2 Novas. Stock rods have Andy Sturt, Joe Smith, Sophie and Christian Bunoz (brother and sister), Lisa Kerry, James Kent, Kym Weaver, Stephen Weeks, Tristan Jackson so far.More details of their team on www.shortcircuitmag.com , along with an interesting survey.
Old 10 Dec 2002, 07:57 (Ref:446786)   #28
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Sounds like I'm going to have to try and make the day then Rod!
Old 10 Dec 2002, 08:43 (Ref:446807)   #29
Hog
Racer

Hog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is definitely going to be something to look forward to after the countless rounds of turkey sandwiches. Good luck with getting on the bank Steve - I think I can speak for the rest of the Piston Broke crew if I said we'd be glad to have you join us on the bank.
Old 10 Dec 2002, 12:15 (Ref:446912)   #30
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I've been to Lydden many times before Hog so I am sure we have met somewhere along the way?
Old 10 Dec 2002, 12:35 (Ref:446920)   #31
Hog
Racer

More than likely. I do the occasional BARC and SEMSEC meeting, but more often than not you will find me on the Rallycross startline. I'm built for comfort not speed if you see what I mean so you should be able to identify me.
Old 10 Dec 2002, 13:25 (Ref:446951)   #32
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
That sounds like Teletubby too, so do you have any other distinguishing markings??????

Legs
Old 10 Dec 2002, 14:41 (Ref:446986)   #33
Hog
Racer

Yes I have legs. Real name is Dave - I'm the one with the selection of silly hats at any given race meeting.
Old 10 Dec 2002, 20:59 (Ref:447229)   #34
Mad Hats
Rookie

Mad Hats should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oi Hog !.......are you sure about the hats ? - my hat collection is bigger than yours ! Has anyone else been told to remove interesting hats for fear of offending the television audience - well Hog and I have. I suppose its good to be slightly famous (or infamous ?)
Old 11 Dec 2002, 08:05 (Ref:447469)   #35
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Welcome to ten-tenths madhats!
Old 11 Dec 2002, 09:06 (Ref:447489)   #36
Hog
Racer

What was the reason again Mad Hats? Quote - "the organisers think it looks like a blatant attempt to get on television" - damn right it was.
Old 12 Dec 2002, 21:39 (Ref:448632)   #37
Brushpusher
Racer

Brushpusher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just got an e-mail saying that the rallycross is cancelled, is this true?

Tony & Co.
Old 12 Dec 2002, 22:55 (Ref:448686)   #38
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
Unfortunately yes. I quote:"Under the new planning permit a 90 day notice of meeting date change is now in force as a result of a section 106 agreement,a detail of which the circuit management were unaware of. The original date was prior November 23 when the existing planning agreement came to end. Certainly nobody at the BARC was aware of the new constraint.

When McLaren,the circuit owners,realised the problem they sent one of their planning company's officers to Dover council on Wednesday to try and see if this could be negotiated. However the section 106 was as a result of a complaint from a nearby resident so the council were not in a position to offer any dispensation,their hands were tied.
In view of this,Brands Hatch was contacted to see if the meeting could be moved there. Although the circuit will hold rallycross next year it currently has no licence to run this type of event (the Supermoto had an ACU licence and could not use the knife edge section).Other venues such as Blyton and Pembrey were looked at but too many logistical problems meant they were also unavailable.
This should have been a good fun event but "red tape" has scuppered the best laid plans for the moment. Rest assured the event will go ahead probably in February....too much work has been done to let it slip away."
By the way did anyone see Octagon's denial on ITV news tonight.
Old 13 Dec 2002, 08:05 (Ref:448883)   #39
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
No but watch for an announcement sometime before Christmas. Can't say more.
Old 13 Dec 2002, 08:22 (Ref:448893)   #40
Hog
Racer

Bugger. Nuff said.
Old 13 Dec 2002, 10:48 (Ref:448951)   #41
Gnomex
Veteran

Gnomex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...the section 106 was as a result of a complaint from a nearby resident..

B***** people. Anyone know who it is? We could "send the boys round for a cozy chat" ONLY joking.

Keep us advised Rod.
Old 13 Dec 2002, 10:56 (Ref:448955)   #42
Hog
Racer

How much noise actually reaches Wootton village? What would it take to reduce the noise levels to an acceptable level for a non-racing enthusiast resident? A bit of subtle groundwork? A well disguised fence? I'm no expert so a bit of insight from someone considerably better informed than me would be most welcome.
Old 13 Dec 2002, 13:42 (Ref:449049)   #43
QuickBrownFox
Racer

United Kingdom
Hailsham, East Sussex
QuickBrownFox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about offering free wool insulated ear-defenders? They are an absolute must for cold weather when you're outside monitoring noise levels.

This means I'll have to endure the in-laws.

Wait a minute - can we pretend it's still on and save my sanity?

Last edited by QuickBrownFox; 13 Dec 2002 at 13:43.
Old 13 Dec 2002, 17:50 (Ref:449200)   #44
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Stephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It seems a shame when there has be racing at Lydden for 40+ years, that people still complain about noise. Surely people knew there was a circuit there before they moved in.

I arrived late to a clubbie back in April, so I had a drive around a couple of the roads off the A2, to see if I could hear any circuit activity. I didnt drive down the road to Wootton, but on the roads I did try I couldn`t hear anything, only the A2 traffic when I got close.

Its regrettable that Dover District Council don`t realise what a jewl of a circuit they have in their Borough. Look at all the oversea visitors the European RallyX Championship attracted.

Maybe efforts should be made to get Lydden Circuit on the District Council website as a tourist attraction. At least some members may start to see the circuit in a positive light rather than just a source of the odd complaint.

Very sorry to hear the meetings been cancelled.

Last edited by Stephen H; 13 Dec 2002 at 17:54.
Old 13 Dec 2002, 22:16 (Ref:449390)   #45
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
That last point is interesting because Spedeworth have got at least two of their stadiums listed with tourist boards.
Anyway back to Lydden. The problem apparently started when "a local resident" saw "a fixture list" and went away on a particular weekend thinking a race meeting was on only to find out it had apparently been rescheduled for the next weekend when he or she was at home.Now we all know that lists produced in December nearly always change by the start of the season for various reasons. However this person has contacted the council and eventually found a sympathetic ear, hence this new condition which has been attached to the latest planning consent. Remember that at one stage racing was due to cease on Nov.23rd forever,but that now an extension has been granted subject to this new agreement.The sad part is that "nobody" seems to know it existed until this week!!!Apparently the council were "informed" but not by this resident (allegedly).
Old 14 Dec 2002, 11:51 (Ref:449743)   #46
pinki
Racer

United Kingdom
Kent, England
pinki should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well it's a shame the meeting has been cancelled but it actually works out good for me !!!

I was going to have to cry off as we get the keys to our new house next friday and my free time will be taken up with that but if the meeting goes ahead in february then I'll be able to make that one.
Old 14 Dec 2002, 17:17 (Ref:449887)   #47
Richard Sneader
Veteran

Scotland
Grays, Essex
Richard Sneader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I personally would like to put a bullet through this persons head and spoil his fun. W****R.
Merry Christmas,
Richard.
Old 16 Dec 2002, 09:17 (Ref:450917)   #48
Hog
Racer

Hear Hear Richard. It's amazing that a circuit which has been in existence for donkeys years can still have meetings cancelled at a moments notice by one whinging little ****** with nothing better to do than moan to Dover Council. Do these people realise what noise they will have to endure if Lydden ever becomes a test venue for McLaren? How come one resident has more power than the organising body, the competitiors, the officials, and the spectators. I bet if you stood in this w***ers back garden you couldn't even hear the circuit. Rant over. Roll on February.
Old 16 Dec 2002, 09:34 (Ref:450925)   #49
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
If you read Rod's other post, I think the problem was one of planning permission rather than an objection per se...
Old 16 Dec 2002, 10:38 (Ref:450988)   #50
Hog
Racer

But Rod's last post says that a resident objected to the move of date because it clashed with his plans for not being near the circuit.

Whatever the reasons - it seems Lydden is held to ransom by the residents of Wootton Village.