Old 16 Mar 2003, 01:18 (Ref:537737)   #26
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Originally posted by sss
Quote:
the pros outway the odd fall, and you get used to bouncing down the road evry now and again

And what would life be without an occasional case of road rash?
Old 16 Mar 2003, 18:48 (Ref:538241)   #27
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by gfm
Golfs great - TDi is a real workhorse but quick, and easy on the motorway. How many miles do you do par annum Bella? Don't let 'men' talk you into manuals either. Modern traffic conditions and modern automatic 'boxes make sense.
30,000 per year going to the track. and i drive properly you know, none of this auto box nonsense. been there tried that got bored....
Old 16 Mar 2003, 18:55 (Ref:538243)   #28
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
oh yes. and i'd rather burn in hell than drive a turbo diesel. my parents caravelle has the most poor fuel consumption EVER on the run to silverstone, it really doesn't like roundabouts.

my cars have to sound like cars, not trucks..

road rash and the occasional broken bone does not appeal to someone who either breaks things or falls off them too regularly. bikes are things that are great to watch racing but the reality is scary.

got another email from my dad, he's still trying to win the arguement that french cars are naff and that he's not having one anywhere near his house. i don't care any more i just need a damn car! and i'm quite taken by the new golfs. they're just not as sexy and cute as a clio...
Old 16 Mar 2003, 19:55 (Ref:538283)   #29
medler
Racer

medler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I drive a renault truck and its great and I know several people with clios and they seem like a good little car and build quality is ok.
It seems like you have get round your dad. You must know how to wrap him round your little finger so either stamp your feet and run out of the room slamming doors or play on being a daddies special girl.
However no car can beat a bike for thrills on the road, never get stuck in traffic and bikers are a great bunch of people. If you don't like falling of bikes what about getting a trike?
Old 16 Mar 2003, 21:22 (Ref:538364)   #30
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by medler
If you don't like falling of bikes what about getting a trike?
http://www.boom-trikes.co.uk/

Old 16 Mar 2003, 21:54 (Ref:538390)   #31
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Now I have a Rover 25, but my little sister has a Clio and I must say, both me and my dad are impressed with it, my dad gets to drive it and I don't.
Old 17 Mar 2003, 13:58 (Ref:538939)   #32
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Bella - See thread entitled "Problems with MY02 Clio ... ?"

That's why your dad's right! Renaults, Citroens, Peugeots - they're all CFCs - Cheap French Cr p!

Buy a Golf! And don't ignore the turbo diesel just cos it's a diesel - if you're doing 30k pa it could be the ideal motor - good performance and 50mpg! If you go for the GTi, ignore the 2.0 (it's alot slower than the diesel), get the 1.8T.

Last edited by garcon; 17 Mar 2003 at 13:59.
Old 17 Mar 2003, 23:28 (Ref:539621)   #33
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
what's the difference between a 1.8t and a 2.0?

have to say, i'm somewhat suspicious of the 'gti' label anyway because 2.0 is not much power to have in a chassis that heavy. also 172 clio has 172bhp not the puny 100 that the 2.0 has...

we've got a tdi already and i hate the way that rattles and won't do roundabouts well. it's also a vw, and i don't trust them to build cars that aren't me proof as it is. although to give the caravelle credit, it did a big scary corner at 90 when i got a bit carried away...
Old 18 Mar 2003, 00:42 (Ref:539669)   #34
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
*dons anorak and fetches Top Gear magazine...*

Golf 2.0 GTi is indeed an insult to the badge - 115bhp, 0-60 in 10.5 secs. *yawn*

1.8T GTi - 1.8 litre light pressure turbo, 2 versions - 150bhp, 0-60 in 8.5 and 180bhp, 0-60 in 8.2.

2.3 V5 is a gem - 170bhp, 0-60 in 8.2.

Two versions of the 1.9TDI GT - 130bhp, 0-60 in 9.6, ave 52.3mpg; 150bhp, 0-60 in 8.6, ave 52.3mpg...

Clio 172 - 2.0, 172bhp, 0-60 in 7.4. When it starts...

I'll get me coat.
Old 18 Mar 2003, 18:05 (Ref:540337)   #35
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
bella, I've got a 2000 Golf with the 1.8T and I LOVE IT!

Its a riot to drive, relatively quick and not too thirsty. I don't know how much you'd need to pay across the Pond for a low mileage, 2000 or 2001. If you go with a 2001 or 2002, check that the ignition coils have been replaced. There have been a rash of problems for those towo model years for 1.8T's across the VAG model range.
Old 18 Mar 2003, 18:27 (Ref:540349)   #36
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Avoid a disease-el - I think our two driving styles are pretty similar, B, and mine is horrendous when it comes to fuel consumption... avoid! I'd never buy another.
Old 18 Mar 2003, 22:03 (Ref:540607)   #37
Lorna
Veteran

Lorna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bella, when i was your age (oh no - one of those speeches), I got into debt spending £3k on a 3 year old 16L Montego and I was as proud as punch! I ran it into the ground for the next seven years! Don't set your goals so high and be lucky you have this money to spend on a car. Some people will never be able to!
Old 18 Mar 2003, 22:33 (Ref:540664)   #38
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
oh i'm well pleased that dad's willing to buy it. i think he wants to sell it in a year but he'll have to get it off me first..!

the 1.8t sounds like the one to get then!

the 2.3 golf sounds like a nice idea, but the mere mention of 'fuel consumption' is scaring me. 180bhp in a shopping trolly sounds like a nice deal too..!

i believe myself and craig do go by the same 'thrash it and see' theory. i'm still learning how to do it proper though
Old 19 Mar 2003, 12:01 (Ref:541060)   #39
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bugger me! Just checked a quote for a 4 year old Toyota Yaris, if I was 21 and living in the flat I'm living in next year - 2 and a half grand!

I'm NEVER getting a car!

Last edited by Bluebottle; 19 Mar 2003 at 21:30.
Old 19 Mar 2003, 17:50 (Ref:541368)   #40
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Top tip when deciding, B, hire one for a day and kick its butt. You'll soon learn if you like it or not. If you do, great, if you don't at least you've had a fun day!
Old 19 Mar 2003, 18:42 (Ref:541413)   #41
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Top tip to everyone else - don't buy an ex-Avis car from London - Antill may have been there first...
Old 19 Mar 2003, 22:08 (Ref:541625)   #42
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
on the other hand, try and rent a car when you're just under 21, or even under 25....
Old 20 Mar 2003, 20:09 (Ref:542404)   #43
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
hmmm... good point
Old 1 Apr 2003, 16:50 (Ref:555051)   #44
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
thought i'd update - me dad's set his heart on a vr6, and is waiting for the right one to come along. i've seen the inside and it does look like an 80's german fetish parlour, and it's very dated but i suppose it's a car. in the meantime he's leant me his minibus.

sexy
Old 1 Apr 2003, 16:57 (Ref:555057)   #45
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
At least you'll be used to the handling of the VR6 then...

Try and find one that's been doted on by one VW nut owner who's kept it absolutely pristine and original.

If it's been modded in any way whatsoever - run away!!!!
Old 4 Apr 2003, 11:01 (Ref:558177)   #46
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bella - curiosity getting the better of me; if it's not too personal, can you do us the favour of telling us what you ended up with? There's a hint on another post that you're already ensconced in your birthday pressy ... and it's not a Renault ... ?
Old 8 Apr 2003, 14:45 (Ref:562860)   #47
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
my mum surprised me with it when we met at a petrol station on the day we moved in.

it's a dark purple metallic (dad's excuse: 'it looked black in the picture') golf vr6 2.8 litre v6 beast. it's gorgeous and fantastic and it has purple leather seats and a 10 cd changer.

i'd not reccommend getting one unless you live near a VERY cheap fuel place. it's doing 27mpg on the motorway and an extremely shabby 18mpg in town. the fuel tank's only 50 litres so it's a stop and refuel every 5 minutes job. which is a bit silly but it's nice.

it's a fantastic little car, and it is VERY VERY fast.
Old 8 Apr 2003, 15:49 (Ref:562904)   #48
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
I'd start looking up cheap tyre retailers too...
By the way, congratulations!

Sounds excellent. Nice colour for it too. One of the classics of the sort of semi-grownup hot hatch age...

P.S. Purple leather?!?!?

Last edited by garcon; 8 Apr 2003 at 15:51.
Old 8 Apr 2003, 16:05 (Ref:562917)   #49
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Fantastic Bella. So I think that's congratulations and very best wishes for the birthday too ...
Great car the VR6 (mine was purple too) and you're right, it's deceptively fast and makes nice 'growl-y' noises too. Do take care won't you. Will watch out around Northampton!
Old 8 Apr 2003, 21:10 (Ref:563261)   #50
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Get an LPG conversion bella. OK it might cost you a buck or two the now, but in the long run you'lll be laughing. Provided you keep the car for a while, and I'd imagine you'll do plenty of miles as well. I've been in a 3.5 V8 LPG Discovery and you don't notice the difference between petrol and the gas.