Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

View Poll Results: What aggravates you the most on the roads?
Tailgating 9 23.68%
Incorrect/lack of indicating 4 10.53%
Fast lane hogging 8 21.05%
Unrealistic/inappropriate speed limits 4 10.53%
Draconian speed enforcement 7 18.42%
Other 6 15.79%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27 Mar 2003, 04:39 (Ref:549584)   #26
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by daz90
another pet hate though is when someone parks right outside my drive and i cant get my car out, its allways happening i put a sign up but they just ignore it
Ah, never should have put the sign up... Now, if those cars mysteriously started turning up smashed, dented, or burnt, you'll be an even more likely suspect!
Old 27 Mar 2003, 13:31 (Ref:549957)   #27
Tedebear
Rookie

Tedebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ahh another thing - bull bars annoy me in this country - who the heck needs a bull bar in Chelsea or Kensington for that matter - agree in the Australian bush but here in the UK whats going to come at you on the Kings Rd??
Old 27 Mar 2003, 14:47 (Ref:550031)   #28
imull
Veteran

imull has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Several rants on this subject.

There is a Land rover down the hroad from me with a sticker saying "Please be aware, YOU ARE MY CRUMPLE ZONE". My parents companies vehicles all have "If you cant see my mirrors then I cant see you written on the tailgate. On my car I have wired a spot light as a reverse light. 100W bulb on a switch - any one gets too close an I may just have to flick it on...

I selected daft speed limits. Going home, I go on some stretches of road that are as wide enough to get 5 cars side by side and better quality (seen it done! 1 lane each way though) and the police sit on these bits, not the bits that **** drivers out do themselves...

I live on an island where the roads are almost all single track roads. I am not dangerous but I dont hang around. If someone catches me, I let them by. Please, can someone tell me however, why when tourists ( ) come on holiday, everyone is expected to drive at 40mph and stay in line!?!?! Did actually have one bloke tell me that he had been driving a lot longer than me (I am 21) "so I must be right" when I challenged him over holding me behind him for 35 miles at no more that 40mph - Have to admiit that one nearly induced road rage mixed with a healthy dose of murder!

Dont they teach people that it is illegal to hold up a faster moving vehicle, irrespective of speed any more...

How is it that people can pass a reverse and then not be able to reverse for toffee?!? When driving 16 tonnes worth of vehicle, you dont want to stop on long up hill stretches, yet tourists (again dont they mention anything about right of way) drive straight down the hill to the front bumper. Then make matters worse by not being able to reverse back to the passing place. I once watched my father tell a woman to get out of her car and let him put it in the space for her... Now it goes into crawler gear and we dont stop, its amazing how fast some people can find reverse

Rant over for now.

Last edited by imull; 27 Mar 2003 at 14:49.
Old 30 Mar 2003, 07:44 (Ref:552695)   #29
fast95pony
Veteran

Canada
Calgary,Alberta,Canada
fast95pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rednecks in pick-ups and soccer mums in SUV's blocking the fast lane,Red light runners,and anyone who gets in my way !!
Old 30 Mar 2003, 11:47 (Ref:552826)   #30
medler
Racer

medler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
People who won't reverse into a passing place on a single-track road when I'm going to a farm in my truck. They think that I should reverse even if I have traffic behind me. I've found the best way is to get the paper out open my flask and start pouring coffee. Never got to drinking it before they reverse. The other one is people who hog lane 2 on motorways at 50mph, I can't use lane 3. Also lack of indicators at roundabouts, my policy is if you don't use correct indicators, I don't give way. Also boy racers who go so fast on roundabouts that I don't see them until they are underneath the truck. Roundabouts that have forests on them so I can't see the other side to see the boy racer charging round. People who overtake then slow down in front of you. But saying that once all the amateurs have gone to work or dropped the kiddies of at school the roads do become more civilised. Most reps and white van drivers know what going on and give me the space I need.
Old 30 Mar 2003, 23:03 (Ref:553251)   #31
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok. It's 2 lanes one way, 2 cars are side by side, I'm lined up behind the one in the right and (usually she) just sits at the same speed as the one in the left, usually 5kms below the limit. Either pass or drop back and get into the left lane. Anyway after a few minutes he/she finally passes, gets into the left lane so I can pass them BUT she then increases her speed by 5-10kph. Jesus ****ing Christ, watch what your doing and be consistent. You then drop in behind her again because she is's now over the speed limit and you couldn't get past her at the max speed you're willing to do, and as soon as you drop in she drops her speed back by 10kms so you then have to get into the right, again, if you can, and finally get past.

These days if the above happens I just give a burst of about 10-15kms over the limit for about 20 secs and be done with it all.

Last edited by The Snout; 30 Mar 2003 at 23:07.
Old 31 Mar 2003, 20:33 (Ref:554191)   #32
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Tristan
"I CANNOT LOOK INTO YOUR MIND!! BEHOLD!! THE MAGIC FLASHING LIGHTS THAT PREDICT THE FUTURE!! OOOOOOH!!!"

I think there are three reasons behind people not use indicators.[list=1][*]Driving is so difficult for them they are too confused to flick a switch that is conveniently located near their hand,[*]They feel they are superior to other road users so don't need to use them,[*]Stupidity.[/list=1]

Last edited by Adam43; 31 Mar 2003 at 20:36.
Old 31 Mar 2003, 22:59 (Ref:554317)   #33
Alpina
Veteran

Alpina should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am surprised that noone has mentioned the " third age driver" who goes at 45 mph everywhere. That is 70, 60 and 30mph zones. They usually have a flat cap although my grandfather, who is a 45mpher, does not wear a cap. Does he listen to me? Of course not! Has he passed a test? Nope. was he always this bad a driver? No he was pretty good until he hit 65. Years that is not mph.
OK grammatically challenged rant over.
Old 1 Apr 2003, 03:06 (Ref:554454)   #34
nunga
Rookie

nunga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Probably tailgating but also those ********s that cut in and out of lanes with their crappy music blaring away and slouched real far down in the sit.
Old 1 Apr 2003, 04:22 (Ref:554484)   #35
Blu_butterfly17
Racer

Blu_butterfly17 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really dislike tailgaiting especially when you are stopped at traffic lights and some moron sits practically on your a!se!! and no matter how much you creap forward they continue to move closer as well! you bas!ards!! i hate haemorrhoids!!
Old 1 Apr 2003, 05:21 (Ref:554502)   #36
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
People who overestimate their ability behind the wheel. They reckon they're Senna, when they're closer to Deletraz. These people are time bombs.
Old 1 Apr 2003, 08:57 (Ref:554644)   #37
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Tailgaiting is really annoying but fortunately I have an antidote - I drive a turbo diesel, slow down, back them up a bit, drop into 2nd and floor it. The cloud of **** that flies out of the exhaust is a sight to behold.

This technique is especially effective when used against convertables.
Old 1 Apr 2003, 19:53 (Ref:555217)   #38
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I know someone who, many years ago, made a device which allowed him to injest 'Reddex" into the carb from the driving seat so that he could create a smoke screen to get rid of tailgaters!
Old 1 Apr 2003, 21:15 (Ref:555301)   #39
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah I heard something like brakefluid on the tailpipe is another good one.
Old 2 Apr 2003, 03:59 (Ref:555511)   #40
bcobbus
Racer

bcobbus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Soccer Moms in SUVs on cell phones!!!!!!! I swear those crazy dames have almost hit me several times!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, I'm better now.
Old 2 Apr 2003, 13:24 (Ref:555919)   #41
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mazda MX-5s
Old 7 Apr 2003, 07:32 (Ref:561142)   #42
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Beware any driver wearing a wide-brimmed hat- they almost always don't know where they're going but assume everyone knows that they do.

Also people talking on phones held in whichever hand is away from the driver's window so they think no-one can tell they're actually BREAKING THE LAW and paying about as much attention to the job at hand as sitting backwards in their seat and steering with their arms behind them. WHO ARE YOU KIDDING? Most aware drivers can see you and know what you're doing!

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 7 Apr 2003, 07:36 (Ref:561148)   #43
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As has been said before here, drivers using their foggies as headlights. What, you think your car looks more "rad" with those lights on?

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 7 Apr 2003, 20:22 (Ref:562099)   #44
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Drivers who seem to forget they're on main beam, either when you've passed them or are travelling towards them. WAKE UP!

Also, people who dip their beam as you approach, then switch back to main beam before you've passed. AAARRGGHH!

Also, people who are so old/tired/drunk that they think you've got your mainbeam on when you haven't and start flashing you like mad. That wasn't mainbeam... THIS IS MAIN BEAM!!!
Old 8 Apr 2003, 10:05 (Ref:562593)   #45
yorkie
Rookie

yorkie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1. Drivers who driver around with front / rear fogs. Tip look at the dashboard. Are your fog light warning lights on? If so look up, is it foggy? No? the turn the things off.

2. Middle lane hogs. (attitude "I'm doing 70 so therefore I can use the fast lane") Tip: there is no fast lane.

3. people who pull up at double yellow and use their hazards to make them invisible. Tip: It doesn’t work. your car is still visible and it's still obstructing the traffic.

4. Cyclists who seem to think that they are exempt from traffic laws. Tip: Just because you are riding a push iron doesn't mean that you can't be killed running a red light.

5. Bus Lanes. much required road space resaved for buses that no one uses.

6. The Anti Car Lobby. Groups (Luddits?) such as Transport 2000 and Reclaim the Streets. Motorists pay for the streets so why should a group of tree huggers want them back. If you want them pay for them.

I need to go and calm down now after that little lot. Might come back with more.
Old 8 Apr 2003, 20:34 (Ref:563213)   #46
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by yorkie

4. Cyclists who seem to think that they are exempt from traffic laws. Tip: Just because you are riding a push iron doesn't mean that you can't be killed running a red light.

Thats a major pet hate of mine (see my earlier post about the red traffic light incident )
I am a rare creature it would seem, a law abiding cyclist!
I also thing driving lessons should include a session on a bicycle (where possible) and would be in favour of compulsary insurance and a test for cyclists!
Old 9 Apr 2003, 14:53 (Ref:564059)   #47
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
The ignorant &*@$**'s who dented & scratched my 2 week old car, when it was parked in an almost empty supermarket car-park, and didn't have the balls to own up to it.

Less than 400 miles on the clock, and I have to get some touch up paint already. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR....
Old 9 Apr 2003, 14:56 (Ref:564060)   #48
Tedebear
Rookie

Tedebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trucks driving up my backside in my Midget on the M25 - I'd go faster if I could mate!!!
Old 9 Apr 2003, 20:47 (Ref:564474)   #49
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
All the 'boy-racers' and GTi drivers who insist on 'having a go' at the lights etc when I'm driving our Hurricane (Spit based kit) What do they think I might want to prove?
Old 9 Apr 2003, 21:08 (Ref:564502)   #50
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
well ... why the end fell off?