Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Apr 2014, 13:02 (Ref:3396200)   #126
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG View Post
My views on Vettel started in 2010, Turkey to be exact.
No, I don't think even I would describe him like that.........
Old 21 Apr 2014, 13:24 (Ref:3396207)   #127
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For the people saying that Vettel is not happy with his car, here's what he said post China.

Sebastian Vettel: I don’t think there was a problem with the car. At the moment he just seems to get more out of the car than I do. I’m sure there are a lot of things that I don’t really like at this stage, but in the end we have the same car.

"The gap for sure is too big to be just something small. In terms of set-up I know there is not too much difference, so we need to have a look, and keep working.”
Old 21 Apr 2014, 13:35 (Ref:3396211)   #128
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ_HCR32 View Post
If Vettel continues to struggle I think it will be largely motivation related. 4 WDCs so young....given up so much of his youth to be the best.
I think you're right. He seems to have returned this year completely disinterested in the whole thing. He's openly said that he doesn't like these new cars... and with the Renault power plant so far behind the Merc... he's obviously
resigned himself to the fact that he's no chance of winning the WDC [possibly not even winning a race] this year. I wouldn't be surprised if he pulls a 'Niki Lauda' and walks away half way through the season.
Old 21 Apr 2014, 13:59 (Ref:3396220)   #129
321Go
Veteran

Oh my.

Anyone know how to get in contact with Dr Phil??
Old 21 Apr 2014, 14:11 (Ref:3396224)   #130
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Here's the link for the article about Vettel's problems :

http://adamcooperf1.com/2014/04/21/s...t-really-like/
Old 21 Apr 2014, 15:41 (Ref:3396252)   #131
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Ricciardo wasn't held up by Vettel, I wonder how much closer he would have been to Alonso?
Old 21 Apr 2014, 16:04 (Ref:3396259)   #132
MarkG
Veteran

MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
I think you're right. He seems to have returned this year completely disinterested in the whole thing. He's openly said that he doesn't like these new cars... and with the Renault power plant so far behind the Merc... he's obviously
resigned himself to the fact that he's no chance of winning the WDC [possibly not even winning a race] this year. I wouldn't be surprised if he pulls a 'Niki Lauda' and walks away half way through the season.
Yes, it's not easy when you can't just rock up and get in the best car. Must be quite tough.
Old 21 Apr 2014, 16:36 (Ref:3396272)   #133
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG View Post
Yes, it's not easy when you can't just rock up and get in the best car. Must be quite tough.
Nah... a child trying to survive in Syria has it tough... a multi millionaire F1 driver doesn't know the meaning of the word !
Old 21 Apr 2014, 16:45 (Ref:3396278)   #134
MarkG
Veteran

MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Nah... a child trying to survive in Syria has it tough... a multi millionaire F1 driver doesn't know the meaning of the word !
You do know irony, right?
Old 21 Apr 2014, 18:23 (Ref:3396317)   #135
Catingaround
Racer

United States
Connecticut
Catingaround should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
321Go:
For the people saying that Vettel is not happy with his car, here's what he said post China.

Sebastian Vettel:
“I don’t think there was a problem with the car. At the moment he just seems to get more out of the car than I do. I’m sure there are a lot of things that I don’t really like at this stage, but in the end we have the same car.

"The gap for sure is too big to be just something small. In terms of set-up I know there is not too much difference, so we need to have a look, and keep working.”
I think it's pretty obvious that Vettel isn't happy with his car, acknowledging that Daniel is able to extract more from it certainly doesn't mean he likes it.
Old 21 Apr 2014, 18:46 (Ref:3396332)   #136
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post
If Ricciardo wasn't held up by Vettel, I wonder how much closer he would have been to Alonso?
Hi F1Pete. I am not sure that would have made any difference. Alonso matched Ricciardo's race pace ( I remember hearing the pit to car transmission from RBR saying this) when he needed to. I think Fernando eased off when it became clear Ricciardo was not going to catch him.
Old 22 Apr 2014, 02:24 (Ref:3396478)   #137
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
Hi F1Pete. I am not sure that would have made any difference. Alonso matched Ricciardo's race pace ( I remember hearing the pit to car transmission from RBR saying this) when he needed to. I think Fernando eased off when it became clear Ricciardo was not going to catch him.
Maybe 1-2 seconds? Remember Alonso also lost a couple seconds in one lap to Ricciardo trying to pass Vettel. When Dan was past Vettel, Alonso wasn't that much further up the road; it was because he pitted a few laps later that he suddenly dropped 6 secs back again.

Even if Dan caught Alonso, I don't think he had a chance in hell of getting past with the Renault being slow down the straights.
Old 22 Apr 2014, 03:31 (Ref:3396486)   #138
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Daniel Ricciardo would've won the race easily if Vettel didn't hold him back, no doubt about it.
Old 22 Apr 2014, 08:55 (Ref:3396561)   #139
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
Daniel Ricciardo would've won the race easily if Vettel didn't hold him back, no doubt about it.
Nah. Kimi would have done surely - eh Pete?
Old 22 Apr 2014, 10:43 (Ref:3396608)   #140
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
I agree
Old 22 Apr 2014, 13:22 (Ref:3396702)   #141
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Vettel took a while to get on top of the car in 2009 or 2010 (can't recall which) and Webber had the upper hand generally until Vettel did so, so there may well be parallels with what's happened so far this season.

On the other hand Vettel is looking extraordinarily like Webber to Ricciardo's Vettel!!

Very significant couple of races coming up for Vettel's season I feel.
Old 22 Apr 2014, 15:09 (Ref:3396752)   #142
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Basically we can dismiss Vettel right now. I wouldn't bet against him, but still it's too early to say how this is going to end.
Old 23 Apr 2014, 01:46 (Ref:3397015)   #143
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Nah. Kimi would have done surely - eh Pete?
Absolutely!
Old 23 Apr 2014, 06:43 (Ref:3397066)   #144
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Basically we can dismiss Vettel right now. I wouldn't bet against him, but still it's too early to say how this is going to end.
Old 23 Apr 2014, 10:44 (Ref:3397125)   #145
321Go
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki Lauda
"He has been very spoiled in the past with many highs and victories, but that performance has gone.

"He has forgotten how to drive another car.

"With the diffuser cars, he had come up with a driving strategy that made him faster than everyone else.

"But now Ricciardo, who has never driven another Red Bull, only knows this one - and he is taking it in his hands and driving it."
From foxsports.com.

Forgotten how to drive?? Surely a four time champion and the "best driver" in the field couldn't possibly forget how to drive.. could he?

Or could it simply be that he isn't that good of a driver - not worthy of being a four time champion in the first place? And is up against a driver who has more natural driving ability than him?
Old 23 Apr 2014, 10:51 (Ref:3397131)   #146
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Let's wait and see!
Old 23 Apr 2014, 11:02 (Ref:3397137)   #147
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post
Or could it simply be that he isn't that good of a driver - not worthy of being a four time champion in the first place? And is up against a driver who has more natural driving ability than him?
Well if somebody who 'isn't that good of a driver' can sweep all before them to become a quadruple world champion, then it follows that the 'world championship' is itself a worthless joke. Or could it simply be that Vettel is taking more time to get to grips with these new cars ?
Old 23 Apr 2014, 11:23 (Ref:3397145)   #148
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i think "forgotten how to drive" shows a complete lack of understanding of actual driving.

but it's entirely reasonable that it's taking him a little longer to get his head around the troubleshooting process needed to get a car that isn't to his liking to handle in a way he's happy with. it has after all been quite a few years since he's been a long way off and had to wait for the serious issues to be ironed out by renault and red bull themselves.
Old 23 Apr 2014, 11:42 (Ref:3397154)   #149
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post

shows a complete lack of understanding

Describes Fox perfectly!
Old 23 Apr 2014, 11:51 (Ref:3397161)   #150
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i think "forgotten how to drive" shows a complete lack of understanding of actual driving.
Are you going to tell Niki Lauda he doesn't understand driving, or shall I?

I think this is just another example of the over-exaggerated expressions that are a normal part of F1 vocabulary. ("There was absolutely no grip." "No power whatsoever." Etc.) What Lauda was trying to say was that Vettel hit a wonderful sweet spot with the blown-diffuser cars that he was able to exploit better than anyone else. Now that advantage has gone, he is struggling to adapt his style or his car to the new reality.