Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 14 Mar 2008, 19:21 (Ref:2151874)   #1
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
LYNX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Budget

Darling's Budget - good or bad for the motorist? Will the changes affect choice of next car, fuel used, mileage etc.
Old 14 Mar 2008, 20:45 (Ref:2151925)   #2
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
My mate Dave ( the green motorcycle maker ) http://www.flickr.com/photos/16345037@N03/2271858227/ has just taken delivery of a new VW Polo , 70+ MPG no road tax and no London congestion charge.
Lets face it unless there is a civil uprising it ain't going to get any better !
It will certainly restrict my racing as far as travelling to far off tracks in the UK are concerned. I just feel sorry for the people trying to make a start in motorsport now.
I have always lived within my means and allocated x amount per year to indulged in the said "sport" and I will not throw more money at it at my time of life. Without sponsorship I wouldn't be doing it at all !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 15 Mar 2008, 08:07 (Ref:2152252)   #3
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
It's not just racing as we all know Gordon. I am about to change my road car and will have to investigate a lot more than looks, performance and practicality. Now I will have to include engine configurations CO2 output with the DVLA web site - which is not that user friendly as you cannot, as far as I can tell, ask for a list of cars in each band, but have to enter each car individually!
Old 15 Mar 2008, 22:06 (Ref:2152918)   #4
hometune
Rookie

United Kingdom
essex
hometune should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Definitly agree it’s beginning to affect the choice you make when you choose a new car, especially if your paying benefit in kind income tax on a company car. Obviously we are being pushed towards smaller lighter vehicles but beyond that I don’t think the government seem to know what they would prefer to see us driving.
There’s still a higher tax for diesels, even city cars like the polo, and no real benefit for alternative fuels or hybrids if you don’t drive into a city with congestion charging.

I’ve just ordered the car I’ll have for the next four years and from the research I did this time I predict the cars available to me in four years time will be very different to those I choose from this time.

There are some independant web sites listing cars by emissions, Try a google search
Old 16 Mar 2008, 08:19 (Ref:2153362)   #5
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
That's good advice - will "Google" later. I am concerned that in a future budget eyes will be turned towards the classic cars - then I will be in trouble!
Old 16 Mar 2008, 18:31 (Ref:2153935)   #6
hometune
Rookie

United Kingdom
essex
hometune should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think they will for quite a while. If you assume that most of their thinking seems to be based on the two reports they commissioned known as the King reports, they seem to acknowledge the benefits to the British economy of new technology and greener vehicles, which they see as opportunities for increased UK wealth and employment as the majority change their vehicles.

They seem to be quite happy with a minority, which I think they consider as weird, having classic cars, tractors, engines etc. Since they see this as a very small part of the overall vehicle numbers, I think they'll leave us alone, especially if they think we'll all be buying nice new green cars to use as daily drivers.

I hope this is the way it goes as it will mean they leave club motorsport alone as long as they see all the professional series going green.
Old 18 Mar 2008, 09:25 (Ref:2155409)   #7
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
As far as motor racing goes The Masters Series have already produced figures to show they are now running a carbon neutral series (more info on their site). Maybe if all race series looked towards this it may pre-empt Government action, rather than rely on F1.

As far as the thread is concerned I'm looking more at what immediate effect this budget is having on the motorist. I will probably stick with my three and a half year old Astra diesel rather than trade up, is this really what the Government intended i.e. no new car orderd? Less mileage, less revenue in fuel tax? Will people then cut down on servicing to save money, increase in pollution, less miles to the gallon but still able to pass the MOT? I don't think this has been thought through - more taxation applied to appease the green lobby and no thought given to rural area needs and the disabled who cannot use public transport.

Last edited by LYNX; 18 Mar 2008 at 09:27.
Old 20 Mar 2008, 17:00 (Ref:2157396)   #8
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and people who do well in life and can actually afford to buy a nice car and then the government rips them off, typical left wing lunacy, if you can actually afford anything nice in this country you get teaxed even more.

all i see noadays is a government that listens to the minority and not the majority, supports the apparently 'poor and misguided' whi sit on their fat idle arses on benefits with 10 kids spongeing off the government and they get everything handed to them by the government on a silver platter.

if you do well for yourself in this country, all you get is even more tax and essentially youre met with scorn for doing well in life, bah i need to shut up before i really start ranting......

all in all, you can gather i dont like the new budget
Old 20 Mar 2008, 18:56 (Ref:2157514)   #9
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
dj choc ice - agreed -I think there is a pretty good bet that few do here on the forum, as well as in the country, but choose not to say so. So come on silent majority make sure you don't keep schtum in the run up to the elections!
Old 30 Mar 2008, 16:57 (Ref:2165299)   #10
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
OK - I give up! No-one seems intersted in what our Government is doing to middle England, the motorist and motorsport. Retire hurt (stage left) to garage.....!