Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 26 Mar 2008, 06:25 (Ref:2161773)   #1
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wave Tata to Jaguar

Rather sad and disturbing news is that Ford have sold of the manufacturing rights to the Indian company Tata,a company not exactly renowned for quality vehicles.The great shame is that because of the controlling company's reputation,will probably amount to the complete demise of yet another British name. Rust In Piece Jaguar.
Old 26 Mar 2008, 07:46 (Ref:2161796)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hmm,

Best move this to Road Cars.
Old 26 Mar 2008, 08:25 (Ref:2161811)   #3
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Shall I dig up the old thread?

"Rather sad and disturbing news"? Don't think so, they've been in foreign ownership (Another of our former colonies) for quite a few years after all

Tata is better than goodbye.
Old 26 Mar 2008, 16:26 (Ref:2162175)   #4
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebottle
Shall I dig up the old thread?

"Rather sad and disturbing news"? Don't think so, they've been in foreign ownership (Another of our former colonies) for quite a few years after all

Tata is better than goodbye.

Yes I agree,but this can only be very bad news when a company such as this takes over from another company that knows how to build a half decent car.
Old 26 Mar 2008, 17:09 (Ref:2162206)   #5
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
Rather sad and disturbing news is that Ford have sold of the manufacturing rights to the Indian company Tata,a company not exactly renowned for quality vehicles.The great shame is that because of the controlling company's reputation,will probably amount to the complete demise of yet another British name. Rust In Piece Jaguar.
Frankly the saddest thing for Jaguar (and LR) was when they got taken over by BL (or whatever it was called at the time. )

The best possible thing for British car manufacturing was when they finally shot the disaster that was Austin/Rover/Longbridge. Pity it was 20 years too late.

Jaguar under Ford began to design and, most importantly, build decent cars. (And LR under BMW and later Ford, began to come good again.)

Let's hope that Tata build on the strengths which we hope still exist at Jaguar and LR. Who 'owns' the firms matters less than what those firms can do by way of design and turning that design into well-built vehicles.

Have you seen the new Jag? An example was in the paddock at Donington last weekend (albeit parked stupidly when I saw it!) and it looks superb.

Regards

Jim
Old 26 Mar 2008, 17:18 (Ref:2162210)   #6
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW
Let's hope that Tata build on the strengths which we hope still exist at Jaguar and LR. Who 'owns' the firms matters less than what those firms can do by way of design and turning that design into well-built vehicles.
Spot on Jim.
Old 26 Mar 2008, 17:18 (Ref:2162211)   #7
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Well at least in a year or so we should be able to tell the difference between an XK and an Aston from more than 15feet.
Old 26 Mar 2008, 17:42 (Ref:2162232)   #8
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
But will both of them still be built on a Mondeo floor pan? Or is that just a bit of urban misinformation?

Regards

Jim
Old 26 Mar 2008, 17:46 (Ref:2162236)   #9
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Not sure the Astn uses the Mondeo floor pan, or the XK for that matter. I think it's the X type and Lincoln Town car that is Mondeo. A few of them share the V6 ngine as well plus lots of electronics.
Old 26 Mar 2008, 20:47 (Ref:2162379)   #10
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
The Saloons have always used the Mondeo floor pan,one of the reasons that Jaguar has been struggling these past few years.Personally I think they went wrong from the XJ6 onwards.
Old 26 Mar 2008, 20:53 (Ref:2162383)   #11
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Yeah, my mate has a pretty slick newish XJ. He was showing me all the toys in it, the centre display that has radio, sat nav, air con controls etc. is straight out of the Mondeo. I suppose this is good for economics for Ford but doesn't do much for image.
Old 28 Mar 2008, 20:47 (Ref:2164118)   #12
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
I think the Image went when Ford took it over,and of course the XJS did nothing to help in the ninties.When you think back to the concept ,V12 Engine up front,all indipendant Suspension etc,and they handed the body design over to some unimaginetive muppet,wonder what would have happened if it had been a lightweight,ally bodied coupe instead of an overweight,predated pile of crap it turned out to be.
Old 31 Mar 2008, 06:53 (Ref:2165839)   #13
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Terence are you talking about the current-model XJ6 in post #10 (as opposed to the 1968 original!)? I agree it was a mistake to make it almost indistinguishable to the previous grandpa's axe model, but before that they got the S & X Types seriously wrong (much too conservative).

Time will tell whether sales increase enough with the new models but the losses are a big factor of course - mind you I think a company in a stronger financial position than Ford could offset that against what they learn with the "experimental" new technology and techniques in the XJ etc.
Old 31 Mar 2008, 07:18 (Ref:2165852)   #14
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Thats the one,problem is ,i keep getting this image in my mind of panels being reshaped by hand in a back street.
Old 31 Mar 2008, 12:16 (Ref:2166109)   #15
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
Thats the one,problem is ,i keep getting this image in my mind of panels being reshaped by hand in a back street.
I own an '07 XK and yes I can see the bits that came out of the Ford parts bin. BUT it is a lovely car to own and drive, even as a disabled driver!!!!!

Financially, the Jaguar company will now be secure, as Tata have more assets (eg Corus) and forward thinking in their arsenal, whereas Ford continues to be a loss making organisation who aren't investing into anything for the future. Jaguar themselves were no longer losing money for Ford.

I'm just sorry that a further British institution has now gone into foreign hands through mis-management