Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 14 Nov 2013, 15:08 (Ref:3331318)   #601
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
Not sure about the first bit - must admit I thought it was basically the same block but tuned slightly differently for emissions and fuel.
I could be mistaken, so don't quote me on that! The reason I say that is due an article I read on the Litchfield Type 25 a (long!) while ago, where they mentioned about sourcing US 2.5L engines to use as a base as they were a stronger engine...

Quote:
As for the 2.5 STI horror stories, there were certainly some - 'chocolate pistons' was a phrase I heard more than once - but there weren't that many warranty claims with Subaru UK. I do think the waters were muddied by failures to modified engines running on low RON fuel.
...I know the 2.5L STI engines after '07 (i.e. GR shape onwards) didn't get forged internals, hence the "chocolate pistons" monicker. I also understand that the map on the those Type UK cars was flawed.

A good friend of mine bought an '08 STI (new) and suffered ringland failure, he was told the cause was the map.

Still, I understand the probem has been rectified on latter cars and, following a rebuild (and remap!), his car was fine. It has rather tainted the hatchback-era in my eyes though. Wouldn't say no to a JDM STI hatch though...
Old 14 Nov 2013, 15:15 (Ref:3331320)   #602
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Litchfield certainly know better than me.... (I'd love a Type 25!)

I had a 2008 STI 330S from new, remapped to 330BHP so different to the standard map. No issues with it in 30-odd k miles (apart from the brutal depreciation!).
Old 14 Nov 2013, 15:34 (Ref:3331330)   #603
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Litchfield certainly know better than me.... (I'd love a Type 25!)
Love the Type 25, and Litchfield have had some lovely Scoobs for sale. If I ever buy a Spec C I would definately fit a trip to Litchfield in. My current STi is running the Litchfield suspension setup.

Quote:
I had a 2008 STI 330S from new, remapped to 330BHP so different to the standard map. No issues with it in 30-odd k miles (apart from the brutal depreciation!).
Haha! Don't buy an Impreza new if you don't want to see a lot of money disappear out the window! Thats interesting to read though, perhaps the 330S avoided the mapping issue?

The new WRX is due to be launched this month, so be interesting to see how it looks, especially as the WRX concept car looked so good. I have read that the next model will be launched in the next 6 months as well.
Old 14 Nov 2013, 16:19 (Ref:3331339)   #604
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And if you think depreciation on an Impreza is bad, I also had a Legacy 3.0R Spec B.

Saloon.

Manual.

Old 14 Nov 2013, 16:52 (Ref:3331343)   #605
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
And if you think depreciation on an Impreza is bad, I also had a Legacy 3.0R Spec B.

Saloon.

Manual.

Have you ever considered burning your cash as a hobby? Would probably be cheaper for you in the long run!
Old 14 Nov 2013, 16:59 (Ref:3331346)   #606
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
I'm now 'clean'. I look back on it like a drug addiction, only with fewer long term health consequences.
Old 14 Nov 2013, 20:00 (Ref:3331400)   #607
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hmm I fell into that addiction in June this year. After many years of being sensible and boring and driving a diesel, I went and bought a 2013 Fiesta ST.

Still a reasonably economical car when you want it to be.

It's twice the power of anything I've had before, however it's a bit embarrassing having to explain that though the car is 180bhp, it overboosts to 200bhp for up to 20 seconds.

I've yet to find myself anywhere full throttle for 20 seconds however.
Old 15 Nov 2013, 08:52 (Ref:3331655)   #608
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post
It's twice the power of anything I've had before, however it's a bit embarrassing having to explain that though the car is 180bhp, it overboosts to 200bhp for up to 20 seconds.
Take a trip to Mountune, then you can have 200 BHP all the time: and without voiding your warranty. You know it makes sense...
Old 21 Dec 2013, 17:48 (Ref:3346695)   #609
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have a Citroen C5 HDI 110Cv, very comfortable but not the best to maneuver in a Parking. Fuel mileage in highways is excellent on a 400 Km trip it made a 5.6 L/100Km at UK legal speeds.
Old 21 Dec 2013, 18:32 (Ref:3346706)   #610
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish Primer View Post
I have a Citroen C5 HDI 110Cv, very comfortable but not the best to maneuver in a Parking. Fuel mileage in highways is excellent on a 400 Km trip it made a 5.6 L/100Km at UK legal speeds.
Ditto here, but a 2007 model (break) with the 2.2 Hdi twin turbo engine, with about 205 HP.
Old 21 Dec 2013, 19:51 (Ref:3346729)   #611
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Transit van. the 140, short wheel base. Runs up France at 90mph. Love it.
Old 22 Dec 2013, 20:59 (Ref:3347049)   #612
JoshM
Rookie

United Kingdom
Lancashire, England
JoshM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thought it would be a good first post, here's my current car. Corsa Vxr vxracing edition, not much different to the standard corsa bar colour coding full heated leather seats with the vxracing logo stitched in them and smaller mirrors.
Old 7 Jan 2014, 22:50 (Ref:3351392)   #613
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
a few weeks ago i sold my 2005 lancer ralliart and bought a 2014 1.8l VW jetta.
Old 10 Jan 2014, 22:09 (Ref:3352610)   #614
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
New car... Another in a long line of poor life decisions...

Old 12 Jan 2014, 15:18 (Ref:3353065)   #615
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The sports wagon....I'm actually a fan of the look and don't think I have seen one on the road here.
How is it to drive?
Old 22 Jan 2014, 11:35 (Ref:3357026)   #616
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
How is it to drive?
A curious mix of frustration and exhilaration.

The SMG automated gearbox is pretty clumsy changing from 1st to 2nd at lower RPM.

The power delivery is very smooth, so much so that it doesn't seem as intimidating as it should.

That said, I've not dare experiment with the full-power mode as there's not been a dry day since I've bought it.

Edit to Add: It came with an aftermarket exhaust, so sounds absolutely epic. My neighbours, however, may not agree.

Last edited by Truckosaurus; 22 Jan 2014 at 11:47.
Old 22 Jan 2014, 20:31 (Ref:3357183)   #617
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I now drive a chevrolet Cobalt SS turbo GMS1- 4 door, 5 speed
It is a proper driver even if it is FWD.
315 ft lbs. Of torque at the fronts, quick little demon. Its black of course. I forgot how to post pics. Maybe I will later
Quick question an espresso now or a regular cuppa?

Last edited by gttouring; 22 Jan 2014 at 20:32. Reason: info added
Old 7 Apr 2014, 06:37 (Ref:3389614)   #618
W33 BRL
Rookie

W33 BRL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I drive Renault clio 172's standard one as a daily and a turbo'd one as weekend toy which was 246bhp and 264 lb of torque but it's currently having the engine rebuilt so hoping to get 340bhp

Here's a video on the rollers
http://youtu.be/pFujvVDV-bE
Old 7 Apr 2014, 13:07 (Ref:3389743)   #619
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by W33 BRL View Post
I drive Renault clio 172's standard one as a daily and a turbo'd one as weekend toy which was 246bhp and 264 lb of torque but it's currently having the engine rebuilt so hoping to get 340bhp
340bhp in a Clio? Is that a track car or road going? I can only assume you've done quite a lot of work on the drivetrain too - that's a lot to ask of a fwd car to get that power down. Should be grin inducing acceleration though
Old 7 Apr 2014, 15:10 (Ref:3389781)   #620
W33 BRL
Rookie

W33 BRL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
340bhp in a Clio? Is that a track car or road going? I can only assume you've done quite a lot of work on the drivetrain too - that's a lot to ask of a fwd car to get that power down. Should be grin inducing acceleration though

It'll be road going might decide to track it next year

Uprated clutch just now but looking into a VW gearbox conversion that's been done a few times

340 is high power but there's a few higher a guy in London has one at 500bhp and other is built one for 600 but that's a drag car
Old 20 May 2014, 17:14 (Ref:3408313)   #621
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
When I get round to collecting it, I will be driving this probably rather more than I should ...

Old 20 May 2014, 18:10 (Ref:3408331)   #622
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Cool so and so
Good choice.
Old 25 May 2014, 16:46 (Ref:3410421)   #623
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
At the moment I don't drive anything. Recently I sold my 2003 Chrysler Neon. Full service history, rust free body, low K etc. Just didn't need it anymore since my route to work is really straight forward and I can almost walk directly from bed to bus.
Old 28 May 2014, 17:02 (Ref:3411904)   #624
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Quote:
When I get round to collecting it, I will be driving this probably rather more than I should ...

I'd forgotten just how mentally exhausting the first drive of a car like this is! All senses wired up to 120%! I think I've managed to identify all the whines, squeaks and rattles as "characterful" rather than expensive...

I'm going to sleep now.
Old 22 Jun 2014, 10:23 (Ref:3424889)   #625
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Any opinions about 2nd gen. Chrysler Sebring? I did a test drive with one that had 2.4 4-cyl engine. But it felt like the 2.4 is underpowered because the chassis is quite heavy and the four-speed automatic absorbs the rest.
I found there was no usable torque outside city limits. Is the 3rd gen. with 2.4 any better? Of course there are V6's available which could resolve this problem...