Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 28 Mar 2008, 03:48 (Ref:2163560)   #26
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnetON
g'day, yes, and it will feature more phrases like "strooth!"
Classic!

What is "strine"? Sorry I cannot access wikipedia as it's blocked where I am.
Old 28 Mar 2008, 07:30 (Ref:2163615)   #27
N.A-D.R
Veteran

Australia
Australia
N.A-D.R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is Eastern Creek staying as the aussie gp for the next season?
Old 9 Apr 2008, 23:28 (Ref:2174204)   #28
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Motorsport eNews reports that there may be a crackdown on teams running more than one nation for next season. They also reckon Lebanon won't be back for 08/09, but Belgium are highly likely to join.
Old 10 Apr 2008, 04:36 (Ref:2174260)   #29
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Khelil Beschir will be missed in the paddock but it's hard to see how countries like Lebanon and Pakistan will contribute anything or get anything out of A1GP when there is almost no entry level motorsport in those countries.

Belgium would be good. A1GP has been talking about 26 cars, I wonder who else might be entering then? And if there will be any other dropouts considering the initial franchises were for three seasons.
Old 10 Apr 2008, 06:52 (Ref:2174282)   #30
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We were always under the impression that A1 would eventualloy be held at Hampton Downs, as Colin Giltrap was one who supported the sale of the 80 trackside apartment units, which financed the circuit.

Circuit building is currently on schedule and running to budget. I would assume that Colin Giltrap will be the one to decide the NZ race location. From a personal perspective, we purchased a trackside unit and it will be the first to be completed, probably July this year... Fantastic view of the circuit from the balcony but we'll have to make a commercial decision if A1GP does make it, so it will probably be rented out.

Circuit will run minor events initially and first real event is likely to be January 2009. MotoGP is there from 2010.

Hopefully visitors to NZ with a love of motorsport, will elect to stay a night or two when they arrive, as it is only 40 minutes from Auckland International Airport and also 40 minutes from Auckland City, heading south, right alongside State Highway 1. There will be track action of some sort 7 days a week.
Old 10 Apr 2008, 07:10 (Ref:2174288)   #31
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
socram - you've got me sold on it already. How much will you be renting it out for???
Old 10 Apr 2008, 22:07 (Ref:2174881)   #32
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Wouldn't be too suprised to see a new african nation and race
Old 11 Apr 2008, 05:21 (Ref:2174989)   #33
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not sure Kiwi3, but the owners of Hampton Downs are talking big bucks for the MotoGP as part of a comprehensive corporate package.

As most apartments are owned by Classic/Historic racers, the logic is to select one or two units to congregate in, and divi up the proceeds from the rentals!
Old 11 Apr 2008, 09:52 (Ref:2175105)   #34
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Which African country could that be?

If you give me a hint I can try and find out tomorrow.
Old 11 Apr 2008, 10:24 (Ref:2175123)   #35
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
An airport circuit could be good Magnet, ala Cleveland and Edmonton in CCWS - again reminded of Champcar esp. at Durban. Anyway...make it so.
Old 11 Apr 2008, 19:08 (Ref:2175476)   #36
blew by u
Rookie

blew by u should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by socram
We were always under the impression that A1 would eventualloy be held at Hampton Downs, as Colin Giltrap was one who supported the sale of the 80 trackside apartment units, which financed the circuit.

Circuit building is currently on schedule and running to budget. I would assume that Colin Giltrap will be the one to decide the NZ race location. From a personal perspective, we purchased a trackside unit and it will be the first to be completed, probably July this year... Fantastic view of the circuit from the balcony but we'll have to make a commercial decision if A1GP does make it, so it will probably be rented out.

Circuit will run minor events initially and first real event is likely to be January 2009. MotoGP is there from 2010.

Hopefully visitors to NZ with a love of motorsport, will elect to stay a night or two when they arrive, as it is only 40 minutes from Auckland International Airport and also 40 minutes from Auckland City, heading south, right alongside State Highway 1. There will be track action of some sort 7 days a week.

Interesting actually that Jonny Reids Father is doing the constrcution and earthworks for the hampden downs circuit
Old 12 Apr 2008, 12:55 (Ref:2175834)   #37
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
There is A LOT going on in the background in A1GP at the moment:

1. There will be two or three new venues and a couple from this season will be dropped. There have been more venues who want a race than there are spots on the calender for next season.
2. The season four calender is almost done, they are working through details and FIA approval. It will be announced in late May or June.
3. The new Powered by Ferrari car will be unveiled in late May. Date and venue for the launch will be announced shortly.
4. There will be 3-5 new teams, out of those 2 or 3 will be from the Asia-Pacific region. One is due to be announced tomorrow, the franchise holder has already paid a large deposit and had to fight off competing bids from that country.
5. A couple of existing teams, who have not done much to promote A1GP in their countries, will disappear.
6. Some Ferrari F1 sponsors will jump on the A1GP bandwagon.

Very exciting times.
Old 12 Apr 2008, 13:00 (Ref:2175836)   #38
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3
3. The new Powered by Ferrari car will be unveiled in late May. Date and venue for the launch will be announced shortly.
Any more 'horses' Kiwi? And thanks for that.
Old 12 Apr 2008, 13:08 (Ref:2175840)   #39
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Sorry don't know any more details. I guess the the bodywork will look reasonably similar to the current car, as Tony Teixeira said today that it "will look like an A1GP car". I think the current outline of the car is something of a trademark and they don't want to change the overall shape too much.

BTW they also seem to be doing all they can to get a race in India, although not sure if they've managed to organise it for season 4. China and India are seen as such important markets that it's not impossible that those two countries will both have two races in future.

I am now wondering what two venues we are going to lose. I've read elsewhere that Mugello is confirmed so I wonder if Brno is gone (just thinking aloud). Durban has also been looking shakey, hope they can replace it with somewhere else in South Africa.
Old 12 Apr 2008, 18:54 (Ref:2175989)   #40
RichardRenes
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam
RichardRenes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brno is still on their calendar

http://www.automotodrombrno.cz/go/ma...id=35&langid=2

So...
Old 13 Apr 2008, 01:02 (Ref:2176159)   #41
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Oh good, so we will start next season with Mugello - Zandvoort - Brno if the rumours I have heard are correct then.

The two to be dropped might be Durban and Shanghai actually, although there will still be two races in China...
Old 13 Apr 2008, 04:52 (Ref:2176194)   #42
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
A Korean flag has appeared on John Watson's car...you heard it here first!
Attached Thumbnails
Korea.JPG  
Old 13 Apr 2008, 08:42 (Ref:2176264)   #43
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
A Korean flag has appeared on John Watson's car...you heard it here first!
A wealth of information. Ta Kiwi3
Old 13 Apr 2008, 11:38 (Ref:2176353)   #44
RichardRenes
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam
RichardRenes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Oh good, so we will start next season with Mugello - Zandvoort - Brno if the rumours I have heard are correct then.

The two to be dropped might be Durban and Shanghai actually, although there will still be two races in China...
Could mean we get Beijing back Team Netherlands can do well there
Old 14 Apr 2008, 04:56 (Ref:2176833)   #45
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardRenes
Could mean we get Beijing back
Don't laugh too hard...if we do it would not be at the same venue as before.
Old 18 Apr 2008, 17:03 (Ref:2180809)   #46
rychard
Rookie

rychard has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Wasn't there talk of a Nigerian team right in the begining ..... and wot about a UAE/Dubai/Quatar/Bahrain team?

Its just that the Mid East region has money and its wealth Ferrari are targetting.

Tony Tex did say a South Africa race wasn't guaranteed.

Ferrari Maranello Challenge race to support each race?

........ just my 200 000 000 000 000 000 Zimbabwe $ worth!
Old 18 Apr 2008, 18:00 (Ref:2180862)   #47
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There was a news story some time ago, as I understand it a change of government stopped the team from happening. But I think any Nigerian team would spend a year doing another class before stepping up - remember A2 guys?
Old 22 Apr 2008, 02:59 (Ref:2183576)   #48
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If there are still two races in China, then I will put my money on Zhuhai and Chengdu. But Chengdu still needs a lot of work. The track itself is ok but not the facilities.
Old 22 Apr 2008, 06:02 (Ref:2183628)   #49
jackschmidt
Racer

jackschmidt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope they get Macau next season, but Zhuhai isn't bad. Shanghai was not good in terms of attendance from the looks of it. I hope they don't completely remove all Chinese rounds...

Zhong Guo Dui, jia you!
Old 23 Apr 2008, 05:03 (Ref:2184572)   #50
Lam Pak
Veteran

Lam Pak has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
macau would be great! another street circuit in naijing or guanzhou would fit the a1gp calendar