Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 6 Apr 2008, 19:00 (Ref:2171566)   #1
brickkicker
Veteran

brickkicker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alfa v Honda

Ok, im looking at a new car and ive narrowed it down to two.
The first is the Honda Civic Type S (2.2 i-CDTi GT)

And the second is the Alfa GT (1.9JTD)

Anyone had any experience of either, I know that Alfa have a history of reliability problems but are these now in the past?

Cheers

Brickkicker
Old 7 Apr 2008, 01:47 (Ref:2171817)   #2
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I owned an Alfa 75 Milano... it was most exciting car I have ever driven..
Old 7 Apr 2008, 06:59 (Ref:2171930)   #3
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickkicker
Ok, im looking at a new car and ive narrowed it down to two.
The first is the Honda Civic Type S (2.2 i-CDTi GT)

And the second is the Alfa GT (1.9JTD)

Anyone had any experience of either, I know that Alfa have a history of reliability problems but are these now in the past?

Cheers

Brickkicker

Nope

Last edited by Bluebottle; 8 Apr 2008 at 12:12.
Old 7 Apr 2008, 09:26 (Ref:2172034)   #4
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The Civic you buy with your head, the Alfa you buy with your heart.

Alfa do still have some issues but nothing like they used to. And I've heard stories that the Civic isn't quite as bulletproof as a Honda should be.

If it's a beauty contest there's only one winner.
Old 8 Apr 2008, 02:31 (Ref:2172841)   #5
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Nice and so true...
Old 8 Apr 2008, 09:16 (Ref:2172977)   #6
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
The choice is yours - an Alfa, which will guarantee you a love/hate relationship, or a domestic appliance.

Alfas are not unreliable; high-maintenance, yes, unreliable, no. I'd say it's more a lack of durability than of reliability. Ironically, most of the alleged high level of electrical faults is caused by the German bits...I hate Bosch!

Sadly, there appears to be a complete lack of any quality system throughout the Alfa organisation, from manufacture right down to dealer service. Despite recent changes, there are still some lousy dealers around.

As Jeremy Clarkson says, you can't claim to be a true petrolhead until you've owned an Alfa.
Old 8 Apr 2008, 11:10 (Ref:2173050)   #7
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Agree with all of that Dave except the last line.

I take everything Clarkson says with a pinch of salt ... and that particular line is rubbish.

(However, I've driven a few Alfas and enjoyed them all - does that qualify me as a petrolhead? )
Old 8 Apr 2008, 19:19 (Ref:2173387)   #8
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Out of those two I'd DEFINITELY get the GT, and worry about it later, it's gorgeous...
Old 9 Apr 2008, 01:50 (Ref:2173559)   #9
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
It's one of the only cars that you will want to talk to..What else you do with it is up to you!
Old 17 Apr 2008, 13:49 (Ref:2179851)   #10
Nortad
Rookie

Nortad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alfas nowadays are has reliable as the greater majority of other brands. My older brother owned for many years a 89 alfa romeo 1.5ti and it never gave us a problem and it was the most exciting car below 2.0liters that i ever driven, and for me it matched the saxo cup in the fun factor, thats my opinion atleast

he only sold it to by a bigger car when he got married.

in the end its something to decide with your heart, and you should choose the alfa, obviously i mean, with the civic you will be just another one in the crowd, with the gt you´ll get alot of style
Old 19 Apr 2008, 14:56 (Ref:2181427)   #11
Zico
Racer

Zico should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont know how sporty the type S is..

The new shape Civic isnt as good as the previous model other than for looks imo, heavier and not so sharp dynamically if the Type R back to back test on Top Gear is anything to go by. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KfqN_DDkppc

The Alfa has style in abundance.. a truelly beautiful car but although they are now as good as the mainstream in terms of reliability they still depreciate like hell because of their old reputation.

So.... Neither, Id buy an imported Civic Saloon (FD2) Type R, its getting rave reviews and is said to be a far better car than the hatch version.

Last edited by Zico; 19 Apr 2008 at 15:00.