Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Closed Thread

Old 20 May 2011, 21:58 (Ref:2883290)   #176
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown dog View Post
Have to agree, for entertainment value those little critters are winners! Pity the NZ promoter can't seem to get his act together, there are quite a few of these cars over here.
Good question. Aussie Racing Cars seem to be a huge success so what is wrong with our Star Cars. I hardly ever hear anything about them. Anyone care to comment?
Old 21 May 2011, 09:51 (Ref:2883447)   #177
smokin'joe
Veteran

smokin'joe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by on_to_it View Post
Good question. Aussie Racing Cars seem to be a huge success so what is wrong with our Star Cars. I hardly ever hear anything about them. Anyone care to comment?
'cos none of the excutive supply parts to the class
Old 5 Jun 2011, 04:34 (Ref:2891299)   #178
Biggy G
Veteran

Biggy G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.internationalmotorsport.co.nz

So who's driving for International Motorsport? Their website implies they will be involved
Old 5 Jun 2011, 06:08 (Ref:2891312)   #179
DX20VT
Racer

DX20VT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I think this has been a whole lot of misinterpretation of the original post regarding lap times. I believe DX20VT was referring to the support class having the restricted lap times, not the SuperTourers. Nothing to see here, move along
Correct,
and is first hand information too in relation to the Ruapuna Round anyway.
Old 5 Jun 2011, 21:43 (Ref:2891781)   #180
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have heard of the possibility of a Camry at the end of season one
Old 7 Jun 2011, 21:23 (Ref:2893096)   #181
Biggy G
Veteran

http://www.speedcafe.com/2011/06/08/...-supertourers/

Three Australian Entries confirmed.

In terms of a list of names we've heard, this is what i've got:

McIntyre
Mcintyre Two

Booth
Heimgartner

Paul Manuell

Greg Murphy

Craig Baird/PSR

Kayne Scott

Etec - ??

MPC - Dan Gaunt??

SM Racing - Scott Mclaughlin
Old 7 Jun 2011, 22:26 (Ref:2893125)   #182
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
interesting list..

apart from those who were involved at the start.. and the 3 aussie teams.. only McIntyre and Manuell have made a commitment to what is talked up to be the greatest thing every to happen in NZ motorsort.

will Gaunt still be racing a GT3 in NZ next season?
Old 7 Jun 2011, 23:27 (Ref:2893155)   #183
Fairlane GTA
Rookie

New Zealand
Parnell
Fairlane GTA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would anyone know whether this series will be run under Motorsport NZ sanction, or some other body?

Thanks.
Old 8 Jun 2011, 02:53 (Ref:2893207)   #184
Biggy G
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
interesting list..

apart from those who were involved at the start.. and the 3 aussie teams.. only McIntyre and Manuell have made a commitment to what is talked up to be the greatest thing every to happen in NZ motorsort.

Will anyone be racing a GT3 in NZ next season?

In terms of the list, not bad when we are still 8 months out from the start of the season Promax. I have seen/heard some other names mentioned, but not my place to be revealing them.
Old 8 Jun 2011, 03:06 (Ref:2893211)   #185
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Cocho will be happy
Old 8 Jun 2011, 03:19 (Ref:2893215)   #186
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
He sure will be happy - if this happens it shows that other manufacturers are prepared to jump into a category with pushrod engines (not their own) and a car that looks like their road car in body shape only.

Could be an ideal way for a manufacturer to suss out the public reaction for the brand of this type of motorsport at a lower cost before jumping into the V8S pool with COTF in 2013.
Old 8 Jun 2011, 06:42 (Ref:2893252)   #187
smokin'joe
Veteran

smokin'joe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
interesting list..

so with Jonny Mac committing to the new series............. who get's BP Ultimate money?? after all, they are the fuel supplier to motorsport NZ summer series, or has that contract done it's dash??
Old 8 Jun 2011, 14:06 (Ref:2893462)   #188
KLR93
Rookie

New Zealand
Whangarei
KLR93 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Add Johnny Reid to that list?

Dare i say the possibility of the rat returning...

That list is already 10-12 of the 16 cars available for season 1, 8 months out, pretty damn good! and with mostly big name drivers i sense a mean racing season ahead!
Old 8 Jun 2011, 21:45 (Ref:2893925)   #189
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Thats great news on the other manufacturers coming on board

That certainly puts ST one up on SC.

Driver lists are looking impressive too, even tho we are still 8 months out.

Old 8 Jun 2011, 21:49 (Ref:2893931)   #190
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Taken from Speedcafe yesterday...

Three Australian race teams will contest the inaugural V8 SuperTourers, set to run in New Zealand in 2012.
SM Racing, Melbourne Performance Centre and Etec Motorsport are Australian owned and based teams that will enter cars in the newly-formed class.
The three Australian entries will be part of the 16 car field, set to debut at Hampton Downs in February next year.
SM Racing, owned by Wayne McLaughlin, will enter his talented son Scott McLaughlin, who is currently competing in the Fujitsu V8 Supercars Series. The Kiwi-born family now consider Australia home and will manage the team from its Queensland base.
Troy Russell operates Melbourne Performance Centre, who enters cars in Carrera Cup for Daniel Gaunt and Matt Coleman, as well as preparing the Audi R8 in Australian GT.
Gaunt is the leading contender to drive the MPC V8 SuperTourer.
Russell employes Paul Ceprnich as the race-day engineer for his racing activities. Ceprnich is also the constructor of the control SuperTourer chassis, and this is when he got the idea to enter a car.
“We just decided that we’d jump in and have a go,” Russell told Speedcafe.com.
“I think it has the potential to be as big as V8 Supercars, and that’s why we’re in. It’s going to be a little bit difficult, given that all the races are overseas, and I’m not exactly sure how we’re going to do it, but we’ll be able to overcome some of the challenges.
“Paul obviously builds all the cars in Queensland, so we’ll assemble it here and then send it over.”
Etec Motorsport’s Trevor Sheumack, Australia’s distributor for Michelin, also runs two entries in New Zealand’s Toyota Racing Series.
Sheumack says that adding a SuperTourer to his NZ racing portfolio is a big coup for his operation.
“We’re very impressed with the package of the car,” Sheumack told Speedcafe.com.
I think the car will be reliable and will provide really good racing.
“In all honesty, I’d like to be involved in Australian racing, but with the way the Toyota Racing Series is going and with SuperTourers, I can’t do the same thing here. I wouldn’t run a Formula Ford, F3 is not on the radar and a Fujitsu V8 car is more than double the price of the SuperTourers.
“And the way they’ve worked the calendar to not clash with V8 Supercars lends itself very much to getting some star drivers involved.”
Sheumack does not have his driver locked away yet, but says that he will build the car in Australia and house the team in two bases – one on the north and south island each, depending on the calendar.
Before Sheumack takes delivery of the V8 SuperTourer, he is now concentrating on finding drivers for his Toyota Racing Series program.
“My focus is on the Toyota program at the moment, and I’m going to Europe for a few weeks to see some people,” he said.
“Hopefully I will be able to lock in a few international drivers, like I did last year. I think it is going to be a really strong championship.”

Looks like the overseas support is quite massive
Old 8 Jun 2011, 23:14 (Ref:2893974)   #191
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
are Ford NZ or Holden NZ actually involved with this series or the ute series?
Old 8 Jun 2011, 23:16 (Ref:2893976)   #192
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin'joe View Post
so with Jonny Mac committing to the new series............. who get's BP Ultimate money?? after all, they are the fuel supplier to motorsport NZ summer series, or has that contract done it's dash??
i'll take it if no one wants it
Old 9 Jun 2011, 00:40 (Ref:2893991)   #193
brown dog
Racer

brown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbrown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post
Thats great news on the other manufacturers coming on board

That certainly puts ST one up on SC.

Driver lists are looking impressive too, even tho we are still 8 months out.

Manufacturers coming on board? As in Ford, Holden, BMW and Toyota NZ supporting the class with body parts and wanting to be involved? I struggle to see it, Holden probably (at least the engine is a GM product) Ford probably not,(maybe will sell the body panels but can't see them wanting to be involved) Toyota really? and BMW will be probably calling in their army of lawyers if someone trys to put a BMW badge on one of these things

Sounds to me more like some private entrants wanting to build something a bit different for exposure, and thinking of using a different bodyshell. Which begs the question, who will pay for the one off development cost of say a 5 series Bimmer bodyshell with aero kit?

Don't get me wrong, I am sure this class will be a huge success, but there seems to be a LOT of spin here by Mr NZSTFAN. Okay granted you are not Mark Petch as I first suggested (as least he had the balls to use his own name) but despite your early protestations at being "just a fan" you are obviously someone close to the series with a barrow to push.

Conrad Timms (very casual observer without a barrow)

Last edited by brown dog; 9 Jun 2011 at 00:49.
Old 9 Jun 2011, 01:21 (Ref:2894000)   #194
Biggy G
Veteran

Quote:
and BMW will be probably calling in their army of lawyers if someone trys to put a BMW badge on one of these things
Imagine it, a BMW badge car running a non-BMW Motor, craz.....hang on a sec:

Old 9 Jun 2011, 01:43 (Ref:2894004)   #195
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
did it have a BMW badge or Ferrari?
Old 9 Jun 2011, 03:15 (Ref:2894020)   #196
brown dog
Racer

brown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbrown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggy G View Post
Imagine it, a BMW badge car running a non-BMW Motor, craz.....hang on a sec:

Yes, but that was just for 2010 (I can't remember the reason they didn't drop the BMW from the name in that year, as it was Ferrari engines and BMW had sold the team back to Peter Sauber) now it is just Sauber.

BMW can get very scratchy if you put their brand on something high profile without their blessing. And just because this is little ol' NZ, it doesn't mean it will go unnoticed
Old 9 Jun 2011, 04:02 (Ref:2894025)   #197
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Quote:
Manufacturers coming on board? As in Ford, Holden, BMW and Toyota NZ supporting the class with body parts and wanting to be involved? I struggle to see it, Holden probably (at least the engine is a GM product) Ford probably not,(maybe will sell the body panels but can't see them wanting to be involved) Toyota really? and BMW will be probably calling in their army of lawyers if someone trys to put a BMW badge on one of these things

Sounds to me more like some private entrants wanting to build something a bit different for exposure, and thinking of using a different bodyshell. Which begs the question, who will pay for the one off development cost of say a 5 series Bimmer bodyshell with aero kit?

Don't get me wrong, I am sure this class will be a huge success, but there seems to be a LOT of spin here by Mr NZSTFAN. Okay granted you are not Mark Petch as I first suggested (as least he had the balls to use his own name) but despite your early protestations at being "just a fan" you are obviously someone close to the series with a barrow to push.

Conrad Timms (very casual observer without a barrow)
Busted you reckon...if i had a barrow to push as you put it that would more than likely mean that i am loaded - which is soooo far from the truth.

Just get over it guys who diss me on here, i'm just enthusiastic about the new series, and yes, i'll be the first to admit that i am 'green' when it comes to motorsport, but i am in no way affiliated with any of the teams or drivers or anything (would love to be though!)
Old 9 Jun 2011, 04:32 (Ref:2894027)   #198
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Speedcafe article filling out the entry list further:

http://www.speedcafe.com/2011/06/09/...-supertourers/
Old 9 Jun 2011, 06:21 (Ref:2894049)   #199
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
cheers Tourer
Old 9 Jun 2011, 08:46 (Ref:2894106)   #200
brown dog
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post
Just get over it guys who diss me on here, i'm just enthusiastic about the new series, and yes, i'll be the first to admit that i am 'green' when it comes to motorsport, but i am in no way affiliated with any of the teams or drivers or anything (would love to be though!)
Myself and others are just trying to provide a bit of balance and discussion to this rather lopsided debate,so please don't take it personally!

And you don't need to be loaded to be involved, most of these guys are doing it on OPM (other peoples money)
Closed Thread