Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 5 Jul 2005, 07:39 (Ref:1347460)   #26
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And also it is fair to say that Firmin has had his chance. A1GP should be about supporting new talent. A number of people have expressed doubt in Alex's ability to get the job done. They must remember that Alex is still only 20 and since his final Formula Renault season has only been able to race spasmodically due to the lack of a proper budget.Whenever he has had an opportunity he has aquited himself well. Robbies CV speaks for itself. It is a fantastic opportunity for both drivers.
Old 5 Jul 2005, 08:07 (Ref:1347485)   #27
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Gaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed, fantastic opporunity and in the fresh light of this morning I think its the right call considering the four drivers that they had to choose from.

As you say its Alex's big chance, could be the make or break of his career as there can be no excuses this time....I'm really looking forward to seeing if he proves mine and many others views of him wrong!
Old 5 Jul 2005, 11:03 (Ref:1347583)   #28
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I know i am hardly impartial being a friend of the family but i have had the opportunity to watch Alex close up in the racing environment and i can tell you he really is the real deal. He interacts well with the engineers, knows how to set a car up and can deliver the goods on the track. He appears at home in cars with more horse power which bodes well for A1GP and is not fazed by the pressure. He is also a "racer", remember the move he pulled at Spa, passing around the outside of Blachemontin an F3000. Finally and something which i believe regretably is more important than ever today is that he is well presented and articulate.It's a great opportunity and with the budgetary pressures of him for a while am sure he will be able to apply himself. Thats it ,no more trumpet blowing, lets hope GB wins the A1GP.
Old 5 Jul 2005, 11:13 (Ref:1347593)   #29
AlMillion
Rookie

AlMillion should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With respect, Foreversideways, and I don't mean to speak badly about an up and coming young man who will race on behalf of Britain (we may actually win something!) but I heard from people at the test that Alex's g.friend follows him everywhere and gets in the way of him working with the team.

Perhaps as a friend of the family you can have a little word otherwise he risks alienating himself before he starts! It is REALLY important he has a good relationship with the team and Robbie.
Old 5 Jul 2005, 12:31 (Ref:1347665)   #30
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Gaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As I say we will have to wait and see and I'm looking forward to finally having the opportunity to see how good this guy really is minus any of the issues that have affected him thus far.

I havn't seen enough to be convinced yet, yes he's pulled off the odd daring move which were exceptional but during his time in Renault I never saw him as being anything special, good yes....better than average....yes....but nothing special. The special guys are the likes of Lewis Hamilton and Adam Carroll, one of the named easily having seen to Alex during the same stage of their career in a single-make series.

It would be unfair to make many comments on Alex since Renault though as the opportunities certainly have been here and there more than anything...although again in a very weak Euro F3000 series last year once he came in he didn't dominate or at least take control as he should have done against lets face its a very poor grid of drivers. Anybody that stands out as being special certainly would have done in my view...maybe not the first time out but certainly as things proceeded. I know he did win but still he should have been winning every time out and top of the timesheets in every session considering the opposition and considering that he is billed as a future star.

Anyway, roll on Brands Hatch or wherever Alex gets his first drive and lets wait and see!

Robbie should certainly whipp a few butts!
Old 6 Jul 2005, 18:57 (Ref:1348985)   #31
Net-Ranger
Racer

Mexico
Mexico City
Net-Ranger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mexico to put a solid line-up...

Yesterday on the most respected mexican motorsports website Sporcar.com publish that mexican Champcar star driver Mario Dominguez and Grand-Am points leader before last weekend race Luis Diaz have a foot in the A1GP Team Mexico, this after some of the other 3 selected drivers to dispute the final shootout discard themselves from any chance to became a driver of the team due to undisclosed reasons

Also is becoming more clear that french team DAMS will be carrying the operation of the mexican team

DAMS also invited Hugo Oliveras (2005 Mexican Formula Renault runner-up) and Salvador Duran (2005 British F3 Championship National Class driver) to test the A1GP car next august in a test to take place in Paul Ricard

Hopefully soon we have an official announcement, but it seems that "Super Mario" (Mario Dominguez nickname) and "The Chapulin" (Luiz Diaz nickname) will be the choosen drivers to represent Mexico in the World Cup of Motorsport!!!!...

Story can be found here:
http://www.sporcar.com.mx
Old 6 Jul 2005, 22:01 (Ref:1349143)   #32
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
The more i read and hear about this championship, the more it excites me. I think it will be a superb spectacle, can't wait for the first round at Brands.
Old 6 Jul 2005, 22:41 (Ref:1349163)   #33
Shootmaster_44
Rookie

Shootmaster_44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is there any rules regarding who can drive and who can't? If not does this mean theoretically Germany could use Michael Schumacher if he wanted to drive?

One thing I haven't noticed on this board is who will drive for Canada? I would like to see Paul Tracy drive, I think he is the best Canadian driver in the world today. If Champ Car drivers are disqualified for whatever reason, then I'd say Michael Valiante should drive.
Old 6 Jul 2005, 23:02 (Ref:1349177)   #34
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreversideways
The more i read and hear about this championship, the more it excites me. I think it will be a superb spectacle, can't wait for the first round at Brands.
I know what you mean. I can't wait to be sitting on the outside of Turn 1 at Eastern Creek as a couple of dozen A1GP cars come blasting through.
Old 7 Jul 2005, 02:03 (Ref:1349233)   #35
Net-Ranger
Racer

Mexico
Mexico City
Net-Ranger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootmaster_44
Is there any rules regarding who can drive and who can't? If not does this mean theoretically Germany could use Michael Schumacher if he wanted to drive?

One thing I haven't noticed on this board is who will drive for Canada? I would like to see Paul Tracy drive, I think he is the best Canadian driver in the world today. If Champ Car drivers are disqualified for whatever reason, then I'd say Michael Valiante should drive.
Mario Dominguez are doing everything he can to get the seat to represent Mexico and is almost official that he already get it, then why Paul Tracy, Alex Tagliani, Andrew Ranger cannot???

Also take a look to Formula Atlantic, Antonie Bassette is there and as far as i saw he's following Andrew Ranger steps, i really hope that Canada announce their team very soon, and i'm sure the Champcar and Atlantic drivers will be in the list
Old 7 Jul 2005, 05:50 (Ref:1349280)   #36
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootmaster_44
If Germany wanted Schumacher, and Ferrari allowed him to do it, and he wanted to do it, yes Germany could use him.

Quote:

Canada doesn't have an entry announced as yet.
Old 7 Jul 2005, 08:02 (Ref:1349348)   #37
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
If Germany wanted Schumacher, and Ferrari allowed him to do it, and he wanted to do it, yes Germany could use him.But unlikely as no current F1 drivers are allowed to to do any other racing,only demos,and several dates clash.

Canada doesn't have an entry announced as yet.
Still 5 vacantcies!
Old 7 Jul 2005, 08:05 (Ref:1349351)   #38
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
I quite fancy your view also MAC, I suspect the weather might be a little better than at Brands
Old 7 Jul 2005, 11:50 (Ref:1349496)   #39
Redracer77
Veteran

Redracer77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreversideways
You will be at wet and windy Croft!!!!
Old 8 Jul 2005, 07:40 (Ref:1350140)   #40
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Malaysia's A1 GP team colour scheme. To be honest nothing special.

I suspect Alex Yoong has appointed himself as the driver.

The fine print says: Visual is representative only. Colour scheme and placements shall be finalized before the season starts.
Old 8 Jul 2005, 08:27 (Ref:1350166)   #41
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
Chris . i can watch it on TV at a wet and windy CROFT
Old 12 Jul 2005, 03:25 (Ref:1353164)   #42
nkfan
Racer

nkfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm totally didnt expect the malaysian car to look like that ...thought it will have more green in it !!
Old 31 Jul 2005, 13:29 (Ref:1368210)   #43
crozier74
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
crozier74 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMO:

Australia
Christian Jones

Brazil
Antonio Pizzonia

Canada
Paul Tracy/Andrew Ranger

China
Ma Quinghua/Jiang Tenghi

France
Nicolas Lapierre/Sebastien Bourdais

Germany
Timo Glock

Great Britain
Alex Lloyd/Robbie Kerr

India
Karun Chandhok/Armaan Ebrahim

Ireland
Ralph Firman

Italy
Giorgio Pantano/Gianmaria Bruni

Lebanon
Basil Shaaban/Jean-Yves Mallat

Malaysia
Alex Yoong

Mexico
Mario Dominguez/Luis Diaz

Netherlands
Jos Verstappen

New Zealand
Jonny Reid/Matt Halliday

Pakistan
Nur Ali

Portugal
Pedro Lamy/Alvaro Parente/Joao Urbano

South Africa
Alan van der Merwe

South Korea
Gene Lee/Jin Woo Hwang

Turkey
Can Artam

USA
Scott Speed/Townsend Bell/Ryan Hunter-Reay/Jimmy Vasser
So I ride out to the old sundown
Old 1 Aug 2005, 13:23 (Ref:1369152)   #44
Daisy
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Daisy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
France is gonna test with GP2 race and Marlboro Masters winner Alexandre Premat I heard.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 13:47 (Ref:1369181)   #45
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A1 Team Malaysia announced that Fairuz Fauzy, current GP2 driver with DAMS, will be its second driver alongside Alex Yoong.
Old 1 Aug 2005, 19:17 (Ref:1369530)   #46
AlMillion
Rookie

AlMillion should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shaping up to be a good series, don't you think?!
Old 1 Aug 2005, 21:14 (Ref:1369664)   #47
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
Cant wait for it to start.
Old 2 Aug 2005, 05:26 (Ref:1369821)   #48
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Me neither - looking forward to it immensely.
Old 2 Aug 2005, 18:04 (Ref:1370341)   #49
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
Jeroen Bleekemolen is the reserve and test driver for the Netherlands.
Surprising but talented so after lots of testing could be good.
Old 2 Aug 2005, 20:16 (Ref:1370475)   #50
Milanostah
Rookie

Milanostah should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No problem with Bleekemolen.
Even though he isn't doing too bad this year in Grand-Am so far, anyone think Alex Gurney could get the American slot?
And I hope Damien Faulkner gets the Irish drive.