Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 23 Apr 2007, 14:36 (Ref:1898625)   #1
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How many Tenthers ride?

A motorbike, of course. Let's keep those other riding machines for another day.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 23 Apr 2007, 15:19 (Ref:1898654)   #2
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I ride a 2004 Honda CBR600RR. Been riding for a year now. Best decision I have ever made. Nothing like getting out on a Saturday and finding a nice twisty road. Plus it's nice to be part of a community. Most bikers will give you a wave as you pass by.
Old 23 Apr 2007, 15:37 (Ref:1898670)   #3
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Gerben24 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen
Nothing like getting out on a Saturday and finding a nice twisty road.
Twisty road??? In America??? I didn't know you had them!

I bought my first bike a month ago. I have a black 2006 Yamaha Fazer FZ6-s. I have had my licence for 7 years, but could never afford one. I wanted an R6 or R1, but being Dutch, therefore tall, it's hard to fit on one. Furthermore I thought it would be wise not to start on a killing-machine.

Anyway, I absolutely love it. I would recommend it to anybody!
Old 23 Apr 2007, 15:52 (Ref:1898677)   #4
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hey, I'm riding a supersport and I'm Dutch. Well half anyways. I stand at about 6'1'' and don't have any problems. A Yamaha rider huh? Well I wont hold it against you. My cousin rides an R1. Stunning looking bike actually. I have ridden it a few times. Plenty of power!

As for twisty roads, yes we have them. I'm in California with the Sierra Nevada mountains only 40 minutes away. Then the coastal mountain range is the other direction with some nice roads as well. With that said, where I live it is pretty flat. Maybe a bit like the Netherlands?

Last edited by jhansen; 23 Apr 2007 at 15:54.
Old 23 Apr 2007, 17:21 (Ref:1898737)   #5
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Yeah, I'm a Yamaha freak. This might have something to do with my ex-next-door-neighbour, being an ex-wsbk, ex-wss rider for Yamaha and now being the official Yamaha test rider. This is an onboard lap with him:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSg3jz6IKVk

6'11"??? How much is that when you use the metric system? My brother has an R1. Ridden on it, absolutely brilliant bike, but wasn't comfortable on it (maybe it had something to do with me having nil experience and being nervous as hell not to crash it).

But loving my black beauty at the moment, but dont be surprised if there's going to be an R6 or R1 (or R7 ) in my garage!
Old 23 Apr 2007, 21:33 (Ref:1898902)   #6
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Just 6'1. Well if I did the calculation right, about 1.84 meters. Nothing wrong with Yamahas actually. The new R6 really grew on me. But the new CBR600RR is better.

As for the R1, I have to say cruising around on a liter bike has its advantages. Like when going down the highway you don't have to turn 8,000 rpm. Plus, I rode it once in the twisties and I didn't have to change gears all the time. Loads of torque. But you do have the fear of god in you while you're riding it, which is no fun.

Last edited by jhansen; 23 Apr 2007 at 21:36.
Old 23 Apr 2007, 23:58 (Ref:1898988)   #7
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
yeahmate, i got an 05 r6 which i ride on the twisty roads of victoria, australia... cant really get enuff of the freedom

my old man's got a gs1100 (bmw) paris dakar type bike which is great for a change too...
Old 24 Apr 2007, 00:06 (Ref:1898993)   #8
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters
A motorbike, of course. Let's keep those other riding machines for another day.
Then I'll post another day
Old 24 Apr 2007, 12:37 (Ref:1899293)   #9
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick
yeahmate, i got an 05 r6 which i ride on the twisty roads of victoria, australia... cant really get enuff of the freedom

my old man's got a gs1100 (bmw) paris dakar type bike which is great for a change too...
What colour do you have your R6? Do you have it fitted with an Akrapovic exhaust?
Old 24 Apr 2007, 13:31 (Ref:1899329)   #10
sss
Veteran

England
life is to short, dance naked
sss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

currently bimble around on this
Old 24 Apr 2007, 14:48 (Ref:1899374)   #11
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
You always park it like that ?

I rode a BMW once. I have to say the flat engine was weird and the cardan axle drive needed a bit of time to get used to. I found I couldn't ride it a smooth as a chain drive. But that could be me offcourse .

Is this the same model that was used during long way round? Amazing bikes that were!
Old 24 Apr 2007, 14:57 (Ref:1899380)   #12
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Here she is:

Old 24 Apr 2007, 15:05 (Ref:1899384)   #13
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen

Very nice. You guys are lucky in the US. The paintjobs they have there are usually better than here in the EU.

I'll post mine in a minute (If I remember how to do that).

Last edited by Gerben24; 24 Apr 2007 at 15:07.
Old 24 Apr 2007, 15:09 (Ref:1899386)   #14
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
LOL! Funny. We all drool over some of the Euro paint jobs.

Thanks for the compliment.
Old 24 Apr 2007, 15:24 (Ref:1899400)   #15
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
C'est moi

http://gerben24.hyves.nl/photos/52725347/0/pifs/
Old 24 Apr 2007, 15:28 (Ref:1899404)   #16
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Very nice! Liking the full A* suit. I've been looking at one. How's the fit and comfort?
Old 24 Apr 2007, 15:40 (Ref:1899411)   #17
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen
Very nice! Liking the full A* suit. I've been looking at one. How's the fit and comfort?
Yeah, I'm very happy with that. The pic doesn't do it justice really. The red isn't as brigth as it looks on the picture. I actually took a day off, to go buy a suit. I went for one before, which turned out to be a nightmare, me being skinny and all that. So when I took the day off, to go get an Alpinestars suit (I really wanted an Alpinestars), there was nobody there in the shop (it was winter as well). I must have fitted all the Alpinestars suits and a couple of Spidi's and a Dainese suit. I found this one the best looking and it fits me absolutely brilliant! So was lucky to find it.

What do you wear at the mo?
Old 24 Apr 2007, 15:43 (Ref:1899412)   #18
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
I wear an A* coat, Icon barrier jeans, A* boots and gloves. Helmet is a Shoei. Like everything overall. No complaints. Think I'll get the A* track pants. But I would still like a suit as well. We shall see. It's all money though!

How tall are you btw?
Old 24 Apr 2007, 15:46 (Ref:1899413)   #19
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Was just working that out. I'm just shy of 2m, which is (if I'm not mistaken) just under 6 foot 7 (is this correct???). Thats one of the reason I have given up on my Motogp career...
Old 24 Apr 2007, 15:49 (Ref:1899417)   #20
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Ok, so you're about as tall as my brother-in-law. He's looking at a bike to and wants to get the Yamaha FZ1. Think that would be a good fit for him size wize?
Old 24 Apr 2007, 15:57 (Ref:1899421)   #21
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Yeah, most definately! If he's buying the current model he'll have to change the exhaust pipe, it's a bit ugly.

Sounds like your brother-in-law has more sense than you if he does choose the Yamaha !
Old 24 Apr 2007, 16:03 (Ref:1899424)   #22
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Haha! Think I'm a Honda guy because of Nicky really. As I was in the process of looking at bikes I went to Laguna in 2005 for Moto GP. It was just cool to see him win his first race there. So Honda was an easy choice. But I must say, after the team orders fiasco and reading Rossi's book I'm not such a Honda fan anymore. Think my next bike will be a Suzuki GSXR750.
Old 25 Apr 2007, 06:39 (Ref:1899842)   #23
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
LOL! To be honest, there aren't a lot of bikes I don't like. I just love bikes! As you said before, the bikers community is just great! Seems it's just the 4 of us that ride bikes here on the 10-10ths forum . The rest just don't know what they're missing out on.
Old 25 Apr 2007, 07:48 (Ref:1899879)   #24
sss
Veteran

England
life is to short, dance naked
sss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
its the only way to travel and see the country, cant get enough of bike riding.

having just come back from normandy and already planning the next trip to eire then millau and the route de napolean in july.

Quote:
s this the same model that was used during long way round?
the boxer i have is not the one those two went round the world on, its the newer version of that one.

Quote:
You always park it like that
i did feel a little concerned that I had dropped a new bike, but hey, its been over a few times since, (easiest way to check the sump guard and the bottom of the tyres) it would have been rude not to use it off road so I thought well its meant to so off i go.......
Old 25 Apr 2007, 14:14 (Ref:1900154)   #25
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerben24
Seems it's just the 4 of us that ride bikes here on the 10-10ths forum .
I ride a motorbike. Even if it's only on the back, until I get my L's... My dad and stepmum have a pair of Suzuki Bandit 1200's. Niiice.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen