Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 14 Aug 2023, 10:23 (Ref:4172700)   #51
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
Anymore on WSR running a 2 series Gran Coupe? Listening to Dick Bennetts on a podcast and he was speaking about next year's programme. They desperately need it.

I think that they might do far better than they are if they stopped colliding with each other, and if Hill calmed down a bit. They might not achieve outright wins, but they would, more than likely, rack up a lot more points.
Old 14 Aug 2023, 10:29 (Ref:4172703)   #52
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I don’t think Hill is fully developed yet. He’s capable of winning plenty of races, but needs to be a bit calmer in the pack and then he will develop the consistency that can win titles
Old 14 Aug 2023, 14:05 (Ref:4172738)   #53
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
What do they think the 2-series would give them over the 3-series?
Old 14 Aug 2023, 14:11 (Ref:4172744)   #54
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
What do they think the 2-series would give them over the 3-series?
A chance to homologate an updated design, with more scope for development.
Old 14 Aug 2023, 14:34 (Ref:4172748)   #55
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
A chance to homologate an updated design, with more scope for development.
Understood, but what would be the point? They will just get slapped down with the same (or similar) performance degrading measures and be right back to where they are now.
Old 14 Aug 2023, 14:45 (Ref:4172751)   #56
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Understood, but what would be the point? They will just get slapped down with the same (or similar) performance degrading measures and be right back to where they are now.
Isn't the F44 2 Series Gran Coupé a transverse FWD layout - so they would not be subjected to the RWD compensatory adjustments?
Old 14 Aug 2023, 14:51 (Ref:4172753)   #57
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Isn't the F44 2 Series Gran Coupé a transverse FWD layout - so they would not be subjected to the RWD compensatory adjustments?
Correct. It would remove all of the RWD 'restrictions'.

Probably worth noting, that the 3 series road car was facelifted recently so WSR could use it as an opportunity to 'refresh' the race car.
Old 14 Aug 2023, 15:30 (Ref:4172760)   #58
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
FWD BMW?! Thats all kinds of wrong...
Old 14 Aug 2023, 15:57 (Ref:4172767)   #59
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

I would imagine that many people said exactly the same thing when, for example, Ford (insert any other car manufacturer that you like) went FWD; I mean it was only BMC who did them at the time. I just hope that that my memory is correct when I say that.
Old 14 Aug 2023, 18:08 (Ref:4172786)   #60
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Is it any worse than a diesel BMW convertible?
Old 14 Aug 2023, 18:08 (Ref:4172787)   #61
coffinpilot
Racer

coffinpilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BMW 2 Series not happening.
One of the BTCC journalists was at Croft for the Super Tourers before heading to Knockhill.
I asked a load of questions that gave back a "I know the answer, but can't share it," type of reply, but on the FWD 2Series he said he'd directly asked WSR about it and they said no, and he'd asked a couple of other people around the paddock in the no - they all said it had been shelved.

Couldn't or wouldn't answer that they weren't going ahead with the 2 series because Dick Bennetts is trying to sell up before retiring back to NZ.

He did believe that the BTCC is just letting 'natural wastage' bet rid of RWD. And with Motorbase halting the RWD Audi project over the winter, and Sutton being dominant in a FWD, nobody is really going to throw loads of cash at a RWD now.
Old 14 Aug 2023, 20:40 (Ref:4172796)   #62
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
Is it any worse than a diesel BMW convertible?
or an electric Porsche
Old 14 Aug 2023, 20:47 (Ref:4172798)   #63
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffinpilot View Post

Couldn't or wouldn't answer that they weren't going ahead with the 2 series because Dick Bennetts is trying to sell up before retiring back to NZ.

He did believe that the BTCC is just letting 'natural wastage' bet rid of RWD. And with Motorbase halting the RWD Audi project over the winter, and Sutton being dominant in a FWD, nobody is really going to throw loads of cash at a RWD now.
Dick is the last dinosaur boss from the awesome Super tourers era left , everyone else is either retired or passed away

Last edited by porsche962fan; 14 Aug 2023 at 20:59.
Old 15 Aug 2023, 05:26 (Ref:4172831)   #64
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffinpilot View Post
BMW 2 Series not happening.
One of the BTCC journalists was at Croft for the Super Tourers before heading to Knockhill.
I asked a load of questions that gave back a "I know the answer, but can't share it," type of reply, but on the FWD 2Series he said he'd directly asked WSR about it and they said no, and he'd asked a couple of other people around the paddock in the no - they all said it had been shelved.

Audi didn’t fit into the regulations ……
Old 15 Aug 2023, 14:37 (Ref:4172880)   #65
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
What Audi was it?
Old 15 Aug 2023, 14:47 (Ref:4172882)   #66
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
What Audi was it?
By all accounts, S5 was considered first but the engine is too large.
Then A5 was considered but the engine is mounted in the wrong orientation.
Old 15 Aug 2023, 23:21 (Ref:4172926)   #67
auroan
Veteran

auroan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
By all accounts, S5 was considered first but the engine is too large.
Then A5 was considered but the engine is mounted in the wrong orientation.
Not to mention the s5 engine is a diesel and a 3ltr v6. It was the 2.0tfsi a5 sportback that was actually being looked at. Basically rwd passat cc
Old 16 Aug 2023, 04:01 (Ref:4172949)   #68
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by auroan View Post
Not to mention the s5 engine is a diesel and a 3ltr v6. It was the 2.0tfsi a5 sportback that was actually being looked at. Basically rwd passat cc
Thanks - I wasn't sure exactly which model of A5 was being looked at. I just know that Pete said this:

"The S5 couldn’t come in because it’s a 3.0-litre, and we were fine with that – we agree with the teams. But to let a 2.0-litre A5 in was no different to any other car in my opinion. We just wanted to change the rules because we feel it would be for everyone’s benefit."
Old 16 Aug 2023, 09:11 (Ref:4172963)   #69
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It's a shame they didn't go with the Audi, would have been nice to have a bit of a change. Although their decision to stick with the Ford has been justified, so there's no point going on about it
Old 16 Aug 2023, 09:23 (Ref:4172972)   #70
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
It's a shame they didn't go with the Audi, would have been nice to have a bit of a change. Although their decision to stick with the Ford has been justified, so there's no point going on about it
The didn't decide to stick with the Ford as such. They decided they wanted to switch to Audi, but were denied a rule break by TOCA, correctly in my opinion.
Old 16 Aug 2023, 10:08 (Ref:4172973)   #71
S griffin
Veteran

Well that’s what is known as a blessing in disguise. The Ford is still quick enough. Still would be nice to see Audis back in the championship though
Old 16 Aug 2023, 19:50 (Ref:4173035)   #72
auroan
Veteran

auroan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
The didn't decide to stick with the Ford as such. They decided they wanted to switch to Audi, but were denied a rule break by TOCA, correctly in my opinion.
Yep, I think the Levorg was the last straw with the longitudinal engine can be rwd if the car is 4wd loop hole. And that particular loop hole got closed.

But I bet a manufacturer backed entry might re-open it
Old 17 Aug 2023, 15:57 (Ref:4173109)   #73
coffinpilot
Racer

coffinpilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by auroan View Post
Yep, I think the Levorg was the last straw with the longitudinal engine can be rwd if the car is 4wd loop hole. And that particular loop hole got closed.

But I bet a manufacturer backed entry might re-open it
Really can't see any manufacturer properly backing the BTCC any time soon. Marketing wise it's a bit dirty and against their message is it not?

Even the hybrid thing. Since they discovered that the unit tears itself apart if used for the electric lap to the grid (and it's cost that's preventing a fix) it just doesn't appeal.

I can see the point of letting RWD fall away then banning it in case somebody developed an advantage with a new one. I'm not that technical, but I imagine balancing a grid full of FWD machines would be easier (although TCR can't seem to manage it that well) because, like it or not, BTCC is a BoP type of championship.

I've a feeling that the costs are going to bite the championship really hard in a couple of seasons - even if Nick Halstead opening up videos for marketing means that get more money from sponsors (which it won't....)
Old 17 Aug 2023, 17:11 (Ref:4173121)   #74
S griffin
Veteran

I think as long as BMW are still in it, it won’t go FWD. However it does seem like the way the rules have gone have dissuaded anyone else entering a RWD car, which is a pity. The series needs to have cars with different strengths and weaknesses, otherwise racing would get a bit too stagnant
Old 17 Aug 2023, 17:18 (Ref:4173122)   #75
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
A mix of touring car drivetrains have been in motorsport since almost day dot, to say only now that it “doesn’t work” in some way would be foolhardy.