Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 17 Nov 2002, 17:34 (Ref:430612)   #1
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Le Mans - Ferry / Tunnel Deals??

Just wondered whether anyone had started to book yet, and if there were any decent deals out there?

I booked the Tunnel last year at Xmas, and got a decent price.. but this time we're taking proper cars and fancy the Portsmouth route.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!!
Old 17 Nov 2002, 19:46 (Ref:430695)   #2
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not sure, but my copy of the Page&Moy brocher arrived yesterday, now doubt the MRI one will be here in the next week or so.....
Old 17 Nov 2002, 21:25 (Ref:430777)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The word is that a lot of the good ferry slots have been snapped up already. (I need to check with our "leader"......... ).
Old 18 Nov 2002, 07:15 (Ref:431071)   #4
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
I book Portsmouth - Caen in July for our group. I added another vehicle to the booking last month and it cost over £100 more! I would be surprised if there is any space left now on that route, depending on the day you are going, but you should still get to Cherbourg or LeHavre. But I doubt it will be cheap now.
Old 18 Nov 2002, 10:33 (Ref:431161)   #5
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you want to book Portsmouth, Southampton or Newhaven you will find it hard if not impossible to gat a reasonable time and cost, Dover is ok and P&O are offering deals at the moment, check there website for details, Hoverspeed dover also have promotions on.
Old 18 Nov 2002, 10:42 (Ref:431169)   #6
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Somehow I can see it being the MRI coach again for me next year, £200 all in your can not go wrong............
Old 18 Nov 2002, 11:33 (Ref:431198)   #7
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i always get surprised at this talk. we usually just book a ferry to dover about 2 months before and theres no hassle. maybe we're lucky or maybe nobody goes via dover?!
Old 18 Nov 2002, 11:58 (Ref:431221)   #8
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Kdr, you are right, Dover Calais is always easy to book, and the drive is now fast and easy.
However some poeple prefer to go the overnight portsmouth or southhampton routes for an even shorter drive. these crossings get booked well in advace.
my prefered option is newhaven-dieppe, but it is full for next year (and has been for quite a while now) for the good time slots
Old 18 Nov 2002, 16:53 (Ref:431472)   #9
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
117 quid per car on eurotunnel looks a distinctive favourite again!!
Old 22 Nov 2002, 02:43 (Ref:434412)   #10
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We went through Dunquirque last year and it was cheap and quick and a quiet ride. We even got World Cup in the bar abut half way across until we lost the signal.

One thing that was true last year was that rental cars could not be taken across at Dover/Calais or through the tunnel because of some problem about people trying to sneak into Britain and if Customs caught you with them in on or under the car they impounded the car. I don't know if this is still true, but if the war starts on time, it could be a consideration.
Old 22 Nov 2002, 11:56 (Ref:434569)   #11
rlinter
Racer

rlinter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by rdjones
Somehow I can see it being the MRI coach again for me next year, £200 all in your can not go wrong............
What is covered in that 'All in' Price...

I bet it is just the coach, the crossing, general admission and what MRI laughing call 'Hospitality' where you are lucky to get a free cuppa...

In case anyone is interested it is possible based on 2002/2003 prices to hire a 52 seat coach from london to Le Mans and back (inc Ferries) for just £2000 with works out at under £40 a head. Add to that general admission on the gate at roughly 35 quid so all in if you can fill a coach for £70.00 - so if the £130 profit worth it.

If you want REAL hospitality which includes 6 square meals and an open bar talk to Liz - she knows where to get it at a great price...
Old 22 Nov 2002, 12:00 (Ref:434573)   #12
rlinter
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
We went through Dunquirque last year and it was cheap and quick and a quiet ride. We even got World Cup in the bar abut half way across until we lost the signal.

One thing that was true last year was that rental cars could not be taken across at Dover/Calais or through the tunnel because of some problem about people trying to sneak into Britain and if Customs caught you with them in on or under the car they impounded the car. I don't know if this is still true, but if the war starts on time, it could be a consideration.
It is still currently true it mainly vans that are affected but remember that you can't take a rental car out of the UK unless you have permission which normally adds a 50% loading to the cost!

However when the french authorities shut down the Sangatte refuge camp it may get better.

If anyone need to rent a car in the UK and the drive to Le Mans looking into the Hertz 'Le Swap' scheme. Basically you pick your car up in london then drive down to the Chunnel once you reach france they swap the car for a left hand drive model.

It isn't cheap but might help a few people out.
Old 22 Nov 2002, 12:36 (Ref:434598)   #13
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Due to a problem with my company car last year breaking down the day before we left for LM, The garage hired me a replacement, the only extra i had to pay above the normal cost was for a Green Card. There was no problem mentioned re customs.
Some of the bigger companys may have a diffrent policy.
Old 22 Nov 2002, 14:35 (Ref:434699)   #14
martinparsons
Racer

martinparsons should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
try allways travel (somewhere near swansea or cardiff try directory enquiries) they gave very good rates for transport of race truck to europe this year.
Old 22 Nov 2002, 14:40 (Ref:434701)   #15
rlinter
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Nordic
Due to a problem with my company car last year breaking down the day before we left for LM, The garage hired me a replacement, the only extra i had to pay above the normal cost was for a Green Card. There was no problem mentioned re customs.
Some of the bigger companys may have a diffrent policy.
Different senario there - In that case you were effectively driving on your regular insurance and not on the Hire Companies however it is horses for courses and I would suggest shopping arround.

It is worth noting that if you just decide to not tell the hire company and take the car aboard not only are you not insured but you could well be done for taking the car with out the owners consent.

In the case of vans then due to the proliferation in the beer run many hire companies are getting there vans confiscated so are very reluctant to let them out of the country.