Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 12 Jul 2012, 09:30 (Ref:3105480)   #551
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
I'm getting a Subaru Impreza WRX STI Limited or a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution for my 16th birthday. With a little help from my finances, of course!

Insurance must be real cheap in the States!
Old 12 Jul 2012, 11:38 (Ref:3105533)   #552
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I'm getting a Subaru Impreza WRX STI Limited or a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution for my 16th birthday. With a little help from my finances, of course!
16?! Jesus, I was in my late 20's before I could afford the insurance on a Scoob!

I bought this beast last month:

As the cost of using my Subaru as a daily driver was getting silly, plus I wanted to stop racking up the miles on it just sitting in traffic.

So I now have the diesel for chugging around to work in, and my Scoob...

...for the weekends. Perfect!
Old 21 Jul 2012, 07:38 (Ref:3109372)   #553
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryos View Post
Sill have the jetta 220k Km on it now, have been looking at getting a new jetta but i dont want a small 1.6 TDI
You're right not to. Run a million miles from a VAG 1.6 TDI, especially if you want it to cover another couple of hundred k.

Not sure I even have a pic of my current car online at the moment. After a succession of more interesting Subarus, I now have a 2010 Legacy diesel estate. It's a very capable car, well spec'd, huge, comfortable and averages about 48mpg, so although it's not terribly exciting it was a sensible choice given I've now done over 30,000 miles in it in less than 18 months. It's lost a chunk of money in that time, but I try not to think about that.
Old 21 Jul 2012, 07:52 (Ref:3109375)   #554
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post
Insurance must be real cheap in the States!
It is, but as a 16 year old with an STi, he'll still be paying out the ass for it, at least in our terms. At least $2500/yr due to all the young kids who think they're Sebastian Loeb once they get behind the wheel of something turbocharged and AWD and end up firing the car off into the scenery.

Anyway, picked this up as a daily driver for $800. 223k(that's miles, not your silly km which makes everything seem like it's more worn than it really is ;]) on the clock, 1,9l SOHC, automatic(was supposed to be my brothers car, with 100hp and the 'eco' gearing for the single slammer, its pig slow).

Gets like 34mpg, which is a hell of a lot more than my Volvo. With both cars on my policy I'm paying $150/month on insurance. 22, male, with no accidents or tickets on my record, if that puts it into perspective.
Old 21 Jul 2012, 08:29 (Ref:3109384)   #555
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I know things seem to be a bit different in the States, but I can't help thinking you'd be better off learning to drive in something that won't kill you.

Like maybe a Beetle?
Old 21 Jul 2012, 13:14 (Ref:3109447)   #556
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
It is, but as a 16 year old with an STi, he'll still be paying out the ass for it, at least in our terms. At least $2500/yr due to all the young kids who think they're Sebastian Loeb once they get behind the wheel of something turbocharged and AWD and end up firing the car off into the scenery.

$2500/yr is that it? my insurance as a 17 year old on a 5 yr old 1.2L 8V Fiat Punto was £1900/yr. So it is far cheaper in the US than it is over here. my insurance even now is just under under £500 after 4 years of driving experience and no claims.
Old 21 Jul 2012, 13:21 (Ref:3109450)   #557
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattt View Post
$2500/yr is that it? my insurance as a 17 year old on a 5 yr old 1.2L 8V Fiat Punto was £1900/yr. So it is far cheaper in the US than it is over here. my insurance even now is just under under £500 after 4 years of driving experience and no claims.
I also find it extraordinary. Especially with the US propensity for litigation. In view of the increases in insurance costs in the UK to cover the cost of "personal injury" claims, I'm surprised that American costs aren't twice the price.

Or does their system work differently?
Old 21 Jul 2012, 13:33 (Ref:3109453)   #558
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Heres mine, nothing special.

03 Ford Falcon (my first car)
Old 21 Jul 2012, 16:57 (Ref:3109493)   #559
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
I also find it extraordinary. Especially with the US propensity for litigation. In view of the increases in insurance costs in the UK to cover the cost of "personal injury" claims, I'm surprised that American costs aren't twice the price.

We have different levels of insurance.

That and you guys just get reamed up the butt with insurance, it's insane.
Old 21 Jul 2012, 20:22 (Ref:3109537)   #560
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
That's a vivid and accurate description of my experience, yes!
Old 22 Jul 2012, 10:15 (Ref:3109682)   #561
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
That's a vivid and accurate description of my experience, yes!
You've been reading that "Fifty Shades.." book I take it?
Old 24 Jul 2012, 21:37 (Ref:3110985)   #562
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

The insurance companies all end up suing each other so it evens out.
Old 25 Jul 2012, 09:30 (Ref:3111143)   #563
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
The insurance companies all end up suing each other so it evens out.
Yep, but surely the driver pays in the end? think of all those lawyer's bills.
Old 25 Jul 2012, 16:47 (Ref:3111328)   #564
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
Not really.

The insurance companies have the money for it.
Old 26 Jul 2012, 10:32 (Ref:3111572)   #565
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Not really.

The insurance companies have the money for it.
Yes of course. By charging you higher premiums. There's no such thing as a free lunch.
Old 26 Jul 2012, 17:24 (Ref:3111723)   #566
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Both of those cars are weapons and you shouldn't be driving them as a 16 year old unless you have plenty of driver training. They can get you in over your head extremely fast and you will not have the training or skills to pull yourself out.
Old 26 Jul 2012, 17:39 (Ref:3111731)   #567
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
I know things seem to be a bit different in the States, but I can't help thinking you'd be better off learning to drive in something that won't kill you.

Like maybe a Beetle?
My local high school, which isn't that big, usually loses 1-3 students a year in car accidents. Failed off road recoveries is the biggest killer, besides alcohol. Drivers drop 2 wheels off the edge of the road because they are going too fast or not paying attention, panic, over correct and then it becomes a mess from there. Even with stability control, it can't fix everything.

I had either the fastest or one of the fastest cars in high school(at my high school there were probably around 500 student cars in the parking lot). In retrospect it wasn't the best thing to have. I was lucky not to have any incidents considering the driving I did at times and had enough sense to quickly learn if I wanted to drive fast I should look at motorsports instead. The car was so fast you could get in over your head extremely quickly.

Better to start off a bit slower, learn how to drive and then if you want to step up to a faster car later on, get some training.

If I ever am a parent, I will not be repeating the same mistake.
Old 26 Jul 2012, 17:50 (Ref:3111739)   #568
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am currently looking for a new everyday car as I have taken the decision to track day my Fiesta.
Old 26 Jul 2012, 17:50 (Ref:3111740)   #569
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:

Just about everything is cheaper here in the USA anyways.

A lot of it depends on the state as insurance laws tend to be a state by state thing. Living in the city or in certain areas with a larger than average accident rate tends to cost more to insure. Some states you have the option of cheaper insurance but you can only sue up to certain limits. Also despite the US's rep for litigation, 99% of the time cases are settled before going to trial.
Old 26 Jul 2012, 17:53 (Ref:3111742)   #570
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
My local high school, which isn't that big, usually loses 1-3 students a year in car accidents. Failed off road recoveries is the biggest killer, besides alcohol. Drivers drop 2 wheels off the edge of the road because they are going too fast or not paying attention, panic, over correct and then it becomes a mess from there. Even with stability control, it can't fix everything.

I had either the fastest or one of the fastest cars in high school(at my high school there were probably around 500 student cars in the parking lot). In retrospect it wasn't the best thing to have. I was lucky not to have any incidents considering the driving I did at times and had enough sense to quickly learn if I wanted to drive fast I should look at motorsports instead. The car was so fast you could get in over your head extremely quickly.

Better to start off a bit slower, learn how to drive and then if you want to step up to a faster car later on, get some training.

If I ever am a parent, I will not be repeating the same mistake.
when my younger brother got his license, my mom was suggesting i let him use my other car. which is a midly modified turbo-4 RWD car, but still very easy to get yourself crossed up in.

she finally decided against it after i told her i was getting a restrictor plate made for the throttle body so it would have something like 80hp.
Old 26 Jul 2012, 18:02 (Ref:3111749)   #571
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Most states these days if you drive you have to have some sort of insurance. Some states are no fault states, so regardless of who is at fault in an accident, my insurance company pays my claims and the other parties insurance pays their claims.

If you have accidents or traffic tickets, your insurance goes up.
Old 25 Aug 2012, 10:41 (Ref:3124476)   #572
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Sooo... I'm test driving a 330d M Sport coupe this afternoon. With 19" wheels.

Should I book a chiropractor?
Old 25 Aug 2012, 16:36 (Ref:3124631)   #573
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
why would you have to book a chiro?
Old 25 Aug 2012, 16:36 (Ref:3124632)   #574
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
You obviously haven't read all the scare stories about the ride of BMWs with M Sport suspension, 19" rims and run flat tyres. Turns out they're just that - scare stories. No chiropractor required.

Here's what I'll be driving from Saturday

Attached Thumbnails
bmw1.jpg   bmw2.jpg  
Old 25 Aug 2012, 18:26 (Ref:3124686)   #575
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
I drive a car with pretty much zero suspension travel, I'm sure the ride on that would be glorious compared to mine haha.