Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 24 Apr 2002, 04:42 (Ref:269077)   #1
BJAY
Racer

Australia
Canberra, Australia
BJAY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Canberra 400 - Change in date??

From the Canberra Times.

Switching Canberra's V8 Supercar street race to a new April time slot next year is one of several initiatives for the event under discussion between the ACT Government and the racing series organisers.

The chairman of the Gold Coast based company AVESCO which runs the V8 Supercar series, Tony Cochrane, believes that rescheduling the race to run earlier in the championship calendar would help put the event's ledgers back in the black. "There's no doubt that the cold weather in June can be a potential turn-off for people who come to the race from interstate," Mr Cochrane said.

"We've studied the demographics and the Canberra 400 draws most of its interstate visitor numbers from the western suburbs of Sydney.

"What we're hearing is that we could boost ticket sales by as much as 15 to 20 per cent if we held the race in nice weather . . . when people could drive down from Sydney and camp out for the weekend."

The difficulty with an April race in Canberra is that the only long weekend available is linked with Anzac Day, which could be seen as insensitive and provoke opposition from new quarters.

The June long weekend was chosen for the race because traditionally it is one of the quietest periods for Canberra tourism.

The ACT Minister for Economic Development, Business and Tourism, Ted Quinlan, acknowledges that June "may not be the appropriate time" for the race.

The Canberra 400 is in the third year of a five-year contract between the ACT Government and AVESCO. Although the deal was struck when the Liberals were in power, the new Labor Government has pledged its support, albeit with a close eye on the value the race brings for business and tourism.

The annual investment by the ACT Government in the race is about $4 million. Last year the race incurred an operating loss of $1.45 million, but delivered an economic benefit of $13.2 million.

"We [the Labor Party] supported the proposal because we thought the motor racing fans [in the ACT] don't get an even break given the amount of investment we make in other sporting events and elite sports and access to magnificent facilities," Mr Quinlan said.

However, he said this would be a "solid test year" for the race. "All the indications are good. The only thing that would ruin it is crappy weather on the race weekend."

To see Steven Johnson and Steven Richards hanging 60m off the Rydges Hotel, go here:
http://canberra.yourguide.com.au/vie....jpg&id=143426

BJ
Old 24 Apr 2002, 14:14 (Ref:269404)   #2
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Re: Canberra 400 - Change in date??

Quote:
Originally posted by BJAY
From the Canberra Times.

"What we're hearing is that we could boost ticket sales by as much as 15 to 20 per cent if we held the race in nice weather . . . when people could drive down from Sydney and camp out for the weekend."

BJ
I'm sure if they put on a half decent race they might get some more people turn up. I was just wondering also how the government reacted to Avesco misleading everyone into how people showed up to the race for the last 2 years.
Old 24 Apr 2002, 15:50 (Ref:269491)   #3
Mr Squiggle
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
Mr Squiggle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that little song and dance number would have put John Clarke's "The Games" to shame.

It's about time they moved it.A couple of years ago it was so cold on the Sunday morning, I think, that getting heat into a Formula Holden tyre was only possible with a blow torch and the door to the commentary booth was frozen shut!!

Silly, really.......
Old 24 Apr 2002, 23:22 (Ref:269896)   #4
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What I can't understand is that is has taken 3 years for them to realise a winter date is NOT suitable for Canberra....

Wonder how much that study cost the ACT Govt...
Old 11 May 2002, 12:51 (Ref:282564)   #5
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was in Canberra recently and did several laps of the circuit in my sister's new Astra CD 1.8. I tell you what, i was impressed. On telly it looks really ordinary, but in the flesh it's a great little track, thouugh I've got no idea how 32 V8 Supercars are supposed to fit.
Old 11 May 2002, 12:56 (Ref:282574)   #6
Morris 1100
Veteran

Morris 1100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was talking to a Flaggie the other day and he was telling me that he got frostbite the first year and he was from Canberra!
Old 11 May 2002, 20:26 (Ref:282824)   #7
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by DAVID PATERSON
On telly it looks really ordinary, but in the flesh it's a great little track, thouugh I've got no idea how 32 V8 Supercars are supposed to fit.
its not the track itself, its just not for V8supercars

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 11 May 2002, 23:04 (Ref:282911)   #8
tickfordchick
Racer

tickfordchick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Morris 1100
I was talking to a Flaggie the other day and he was telling me that he got frostbite the first year and he was from Canberra!
it was farken FREEZING the first year ... and, Morris, you know how cold it can get here in the Blue Mt's
Old 13 May 2002, 01:46 (Ref:284444)   #9
rogers_mel
Rookie

rogers_mel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Canberras biggest problem is the lack of decent viewing. I've been there each year....and have walked the track numerous times ya just cant see a few more big screens would probably help. I dont think the cold weather is a major factor. If ya put a jacket on your fine.

If they dont align the race with a long weekend then they will get even less people there. You cant just focus on the People from West Sydney (a few hours drive)........you need to think of the Victorians, the South Australians and the Queenslanders as well.

Maybe it needs to be promoted as an event worth going to.
Old 13 May 2002, 01:53 (Ref:284447)   #10
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've heard because of the restricted space trackside that all you can see whizzing past are the arials and rooves of the cars because you can't get high enough to look down on to them. Does this sound about right ?
Old 13 May 2002, 02:26 (Ref:284477)   #11
BJAY
Racer

Australia
Canberra, Australia
BJAY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Buckshot
I've heard because of the restricted space trackside that all you can see whizzing past are the arials and rooves of the cars because you can't get high enough to look down on to them. Does this sound about right ?
No that is right. If you stand at the "bus stop" section there is a hill there which you can stand on and see the cars come through that section. You could also stand on the overhead passes when the cars go along State Circle. There are also other decent spots, the thing to do is walk around the track on the Friday to get a feel for the place.

Whoever told that all you can see is the arials on the rooves, must be a midget or a short kid.

BJ
Old 13 May 2002, 04:21 (Ref:284568)   #12
rogers_mel
Rookie

rogers_mel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yep....rooves and aerials is correct. and with them hooting past at the speeds they go.....your only guessing at which cars they maybe. As for the height thing.......I dont think that should be a factor. I take my kids as di my friends.....they can only hear them.

its true thatyou can see up near parliment house.....but you cant have 30,000 people in the one ot two spots around the track.

Some of that public seating that they put around Albert Pak during the GP may help as well
Old 13 May 2002, 23:06 (Ref:285754)   #13
sevi
Veteran

sevi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All the officials who turn up at that meeting should be paid a severance pay.
Only reason it was voted #1 something is because it is mostly all the seniors from each state that go. It would have to be the worst meeting of the whole year, and it is not just the weather that makes it so bad either.
Old 15 May 2002, 02:58 (Ref:286890)   #14
Champ69
Veteran

Champ69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It view is not to bad, but kids need a bit of a boost to see. The friday and saturday is great as you can move around and see all the differant angles but the Sunday I just stay home and watch it on TV and have a BBQ.