Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 20 Oct 2002, 15:21 (Ref:408548)   #1
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The new Mégane

OK, this little car seems to be the epicentre of the debate on current car design.

And I for one am in LOVE with the thing.

I remember when the Focus came out and the initial response was "what in the name of **** is that???". But now it looks positively NORMAL. Everyone's copied it it and car design has moved on.

OK, this design isn't as radical. In fact, you can see how Renault's current design theme has spawned from the "new-edge" thinking that was behind Ford a few years ago. But nevertheless, I think it's bold, genuinely interesting and a step in the right direction for mass market car design.
Old 20 Oct 2002, 16:09 (Ref:408596)   #2
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sorry, but i hate it. It has the worst rear end ive ever seen. Ive never liked the Focus either. And I prefer the previous Clio to the current one. Oh and the current Subaru Imprezza looks terrible compared to the previous (its lost all its aggression). I think designers have gone way off course and have lost track of what is cool or not. They all want us to drive in glass bubbles but this is just my opinion anyway.

Last edited by woodyracing; 20 Oct 2002 at 16:11.
Old 20 Oct 2002, 16:43 (Ref:408618)   #3
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Have you seen the 2003my Impreza, currently at Paris and set to be unveiled for the UK at Birmingham next week.

They've completely changed that front end. I'm not convinced it's any better, though I'll keep an open mind til I see it in the flesh. One thing is good though - until end of 2002 (or stocks run out) you can now buy a brand new 2002my Impreza WRX for £18,995. Ugly it may be, but that is a bargain.

I like the look of the new Megane - though I must say I haven't studied it too closely. But the basic idea is superb - those in the market for an 'ordinary car' (ie not exec/sports/premium sector) are heartily sick of characterless boxes that all look and feel the same. The Fiat Multipla broke that mode brilliantly for family cars - looks like the Megane will do for smaller cars.
Old 20 Oct 2002, 17:02 (Ref:408641)   #4
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
Ive not seen the new Impreza yet, but i did hear that they are launching it. Hopefully I will see it at the NEC in just under 2 weeks. The current Impreza looks a lot better when fitted with the headlight conversion as used on the rally cars (morrette probably make them). Im sure its still a great car though.
Old 21 Oct 2002, 00:18 (Ref:408945)   #5
Tristan
Veteran

New Imp = Dullness personified. STI looks chickin oriental, mind.

Back to the Mégane - it's just GREAT. Just so individual. Not sure if it will take off in the UK, mind. We're traditionally very conservative in out tastes.
Old 21 Oct 2002, 12:20 (Ref:409199)   #6
SJ Spode
Veteran

SJ Spode should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by woodyracing
Ive not seen the new Impreza yet, but i did hear that they are launching it. Hopefully I will see it at the NEC in just under 2 weeks. The current Impreza looks a lot better when fitted with the headlight conversion as used on the rally cars (morrette probably make them). Im sure its still a great car though.
There's a pic of the WRC version at http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...threadid=27891
Old 21 Oct 2002, 12:35 (Ref:409213)   #7
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
ah thats much better than the current one
Old 21 Oct 2002, 14:17 (Ref:409280)   #8
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Back to the Megane, there's a group test in this month's TopGear magazine alongside the Focus and others. Sadly, they say it doesn't live up to its looks and that actually it's a bit dull.
Old 23 Oct 2002, 20:09 (Ref:411586)   #9
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Although over here the current Mégane has been the best selling Renault since the Renault 9 I must say that it lacksthat "love it or hate it" looks of most french cars. Well.....Perhaps the Pugs are not as controversial and some of the new Citroën's aren't either but I guess that "radical" design has always been the french car's trademark.

Having said that I must say that I love the car. Looks great and it once again looks like a french car. However, my dad who's thinking about buying a Mégane (it will take quite some time for the new one to arrive here) absolutely hated the new one.
Old 24 Oct 2002, 00:02 (Ref:411767)   #10
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It looks fantastic. Renault have done everything perfectly, in that they have introduced the style on more expensive models, Vel Satis and Avantime, while also having preveiwed the look in the rear of the updated Clio. And they manage to tie-in the look of the Satis with the old 25.
Well done.
Old 25 Oct 2002, 23:41 (Ref:413742)   #11
Tristan
Veteran

Just would like t point out that I'm not talking about whether the Mégane is any good (I'm sure it's another distinctly average car from Renault). What I'm on about is the design.

It's not such a massive step as the focus, but I love it nonetheless. Makes any GM car look ridiculous.
Old 26 Oct 2002, 11:07 (Ref:413929)   #12
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hmmm, not too keen myself, but I do applaud them for doing something out of the ordinary! That back end is sort of slightly reminicant of the good old Ford Anglia!!
Old 29 Oct 2002, 10:27 (Ref:416252)   #13
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As an MY02 Impreza owner, I'm keeping my mouth shut. But am glaring at woody

Haven't seen the new Megane yet, but I'm waiting to see what Mazda come out with the Mazda3 after the great looking 6 and the good looking, for a little box, 2.
Old 30 Oct 2002, 15:45 (Ref:417555)   #14
davemorganfan
Racer

davemorganfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
An amazing looking car, and I love it to bits. Renault have been trying for some time to produce cars with similar styling features to the new Megane (Vel Satis, Avantime), but the proportions have been wrong and the theme hasn't worked. This one one does work, and brilliantly. Guess it will be copied by everyone else now. Makes the Focus look archaic.
Old 5 Nov 2002, 04:43 (Ref:421929)   #15
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Garcon, you think GBP19K for an Impreza WRX is cheap. Mate you need to get out here to Australia. They are about GBP15K here. That's list price, though they don't haggle much, the cars sell themselves.
Old 11 Nov 2002, 02:57 (Ref:426097)   #16
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I didn't like the new Megane at first but it's definitely growing on me! I like the new stylings of most of the Renaults (apart from the Vel Satis!) especially as my mums getting a shiny new Clio next week!
Old 11 Nov 2002, 11:17 (Ref:426298)   #17
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
Quote:
Originally posted by elephino
As an MY02 Impreza owner, I'm keeping my mouth shut. But am glaring at woody
the current Imprezza just needs the headlight converstion kit to stop it looking like a Neon. I still prefer the older one though.
Old 12 Nov 2002, 01:18 (Ref:426773)   #18
Tristan
Veteran

Even the initially silly looking Impreza grew on me, especially with the WRC-style xenon light clusters. Much better than the standard bug-eyed units.
Old 23 Nov 2002, 22:27 (Ref:435499)   #19
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I havn't seen a new Megan on the road yet, does anyone know how well they are selling?
Old 23 Nov 2002, 22:31 (Ref:435501)   #20
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Bluebottle
I havn't seen a new Megan on the road yet, does anyone know how well they are selling?
I saw one the other day, but IMO they are horrible.
Old 25 Nov 2002, 20:41 (Ref:436660)   #21
Ronnoco
Rookie

Ronnoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stunning, this new Megane is fabulous, i love it, and when i explored it and got my hands on it at the motorshow i loved it more, it really is a quality piece of kit.