Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 21 Oct 2002, 09:45 (Ref:409087)   #1
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The New Series of 'TOP GEAR'

Did anyone else see the new series of Top Gear last night on BBC2? Jeremy is back and very funny too!
With new features such as 'Are you a Granny that wants to do a doughnut' and trying to go so fast to beat the Speed camera - it was a good laugh. The sensational new Zonda Supercar - what a sound!
Also thought Jeremy's thoughts on how F1 should change were very well put. He said the technology has taken over. In the war he said, fighters pilots became racing drivers: Hero's.
Not like today where the boffins decide who wins. The studio audience loudly applauded him for that.
What did you think of the new show?
Old 21 Oct 2002, 10:47 (Ref:409123)   #2
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought it was pretty good. Im not sure about that open studio part though, it looked a bit cheap??

Should be interesting to see how other celebs drive around that test circuit, and that Zonda thing looked awesome.
Old 21 Oct 2002, 11:12 (Ref:409138)   #3
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
I was impressed! The open studio does make it look a little bit low-budget, & I don't think they really need 'celebrities' - I'm not intersted in Harry Enfield's opinion, & next week their 'celebrity' is somebody I've never heard of! Much better than 'Drivel'!
Old 21 Oct 2002, 11:24 (Ref:409152)   #4
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nope I think I will stick with 5th Gear... didnt like the Big Breakfast meets Top Gear at all. and if all they could afford was a blanked out racing driver and a midget bloke off of Discovery after paying Clarksons wages well they are as stoopid as the dumb cow who took it of in the first place... when it was BBC2's biggest rateing show!
Why do I pay the licence fee? Id like to opt out and just pay for Sky and be rid of all the BBC pants.
Old 21 Oct 2002, 12:54 (Ref:409231)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I liked it when he changed from "5th gear" to "Top gear" in the Zonta.

I quite like the new format. I agree with half of what Clarkson says and disagree with half (actually it probably more 70-30, but...). The other presenters seem quite good.

Are all the programs going to be an hour?
Old 21 Oct 2002, 13:37 (Ref:409256)   #6
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I like it. And the Sunday slot means I can watch Top Gear and 5th Gear!
Old 21 Oct 2002, 14:09 (Ref:409275)   #7
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just sent an email to topgear (ok, so I'm a creep, but I DID enjoy the show!) ...

Dear Top Gear Team,

I'll be honest - I was a little concerned that a 'proper' motoring programme might be watered down and filled with trivial nonsense like some of the "others". I mean, 'Car Sumo' for sake...

But I should have had more faith in you, Jeremy. Your appearance on fashion programmes with cushions, and even your purchase of a retired person's car, hasn't changed what you do best - giving us the important info on cars, and then telling us honestly what you think of them. Good stuff from Richard and Jason too.

A great show, and much promise for the rest of the series. I think what increased my enjoyment further was visualising all those Daily Mail readers reaching feverishly for their paper and quill to write to Points Of View, to harangue you all for encouraging speeding, tax evasion and illegal immigration. I trust you'll find time to insult Toyota Carinas now and then, just to upset them further...

Of course the Pagani Zonda should hold the supercar crown! I can't understand why there's any doubt - though I suppose I haven't had the chance to compare them back to back (just yet). The Zonda C12S is absolutely drop dead gorgeous, and it didn't just beat the Murcielago for grunt - it completely and utterly butchered it. Veal fillets for breakfast. The fact it costs twice as much and is rarer than an incredibly rare thing simply seals the argument. If there's anyone still unconvinced, they should ask themselves when was the last time anything appeared that made a Lamborghini look mainstream?

I can only think of two production cars that might threaten the Zonda's 1:23 lap time. A Caterham Superlight R500 recently won Autocar's 0 to 100mph to 0 test, breaking the record and beating the Zonda by 5 hundredths or so. In an evo magazine 'trackday car of the year' test, a Radical SR3 was around 10 seconds a lap quicker than anything else - four wheels or two. I reckon in the hands of The Stig, the Caterham would match the Zonda at 1:23, but the Radical would be quicker - 1:19. I'm looking forward to seeing the first tuned Skyline scatter bits of turbo down the back straight trying to beat that. And purely in the interests of scientific comparison, I'd love to see if a Jaguar R3 could do a sub 1 minute lap...

One thing I'd like to see more of is group tests of used cars, or even new/used comparisons. There are many of us out there who want to drive something a little different - executive, performance or just odd - and want to see what else we could get for 'Mondeo money'.

Congratulations to the team on a great show - keep it coming!
Old 21 Oct 2002, 19:45 (Ref:409554)   #8
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When I first saw it I thought "what in the name of god", but as the show wore on I got more and more won over. I mean, WHAT producer thought "right, lads, lets get this new series off with a bang. I know, the CITROEN BERLINGO MULTISPACE!!!!". But actually it was inspired because they were actually being HONEST. One thing I hate is the arrogance of ****wits like Mike Rutherford spouting **** about "congestion charging" and "MPV's are just vans with windows". IT IS ATTITUDES LIKE THAT THAT MADE THE GENERAL PUBLIC TURN OFF TOP GEAR IN THE FIRST PLACE, YOU TORY ****!!!

Anyway, I have never wanted the Zonda (S version, naturellement) so much. I NEED it. 196mph in 4th. I liked the way that they said how great the Lambo was: perfect were it not for the Zonda's existance. Now, for me the Zonda would be perfect - were it not for this new car Maranello have been working on (who some people think is UGLY!!).
Old 23 Oct 2002, 18:43 (Ref:411494)   #9
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's true about the Zonda 'need' thing. I don't doubt that a Spyker, Edonis or Dauer Bugatti would have the same effect on me too!
Old 28 Oct 2002, 15:52 (Ref:415537)   #10
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
just saw it last night, and once i'd stopped p*ssing myself with laughter over the bus jumping the bikes and clarkson being on top form, i decided it was far better than any naff motoring program (including pulling power, which wins bonus points for having darren manning on).

the feature on the rs focus was very good. and bringing in 'the public' gave it another dimension over some ponce driving a fast car badly.

hurrah for top gear, i can't wait till next week.
Old 28 Oct 2002, 19:21 (Ref:415761)   #11
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
nice coverage of the RS Fords shame it didnt say more about the Cossies though.
That 'Darth Vader' car i mean Nobel, sounded cool!
oh and that Spyker thing, wow.
Old 1 Nov 2002, 20:14 (Ref:419756)   #12
Reido Rules
Veteran

Reido Rules should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TOP GEAR has honest presenters and that will always work for it, if Clarkson hates a car he will say, and not try to find ways to complemet it. Which makes it a far better consumer show, as well as better entertainment for a car enthusiast.

One thing it's done is to get people talking about cars again, and that is what we need!

I believe the Stig is Nicolas Minassian, the clue I was given was shortish, medium build, French accent, and if you look long and hard it will be obvious. Looking at his RML ASCAR what's on the side? Top Gear. solved, others say that they have heard the same clues that I have. Plus he has accomedation not too far from the studio.
Old 20 Nov 2002, 12:59 (Ref:433104)   #13
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard the stig was Damon Hill!
Old 21 Nov 2002, 12:41 (Ref:433918)   #14
Peter B

How would he get that hair of his inside that helmet?

Or is it a wig?

Old 21 Nov 2002, 13:11 (Ref:433938)   #15
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No. It's definitely a helmet.

Old 22 Nov 2002, 00:27 (Ref:434369)   #16
Heebeegeetee
Veteran

Heebeegeetee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But where's Willy Woolard, or Chris Goffey? Not to mention Michelle Newman.

I think Stig is any rent-a-racedriver that happens to be available on the day. Thats why you don't get to see him, and as virtually all modern race drivers are whippets they all appear to be of the same physical stature. 'Cept it definitly ain't Justin Wilson...