Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 19 Dec 2000, 20:56 (Ref:53367)   #1
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Veteran USAC Champ car and Indy car racer Stan Fox died from head injuries sustained when he was involved in an auto crash in New Zealand today. Fox spent most every winter(American) in New Zealand or Australia promoting various sprint car and midget disciplines. Fox last competed at Indianapolis in 1995 where he survived a horrific crash with some head injuries. This was the last time he competed at the famed speedway.

My condolences go out to his family and friends. He was well known in the dirt oval racing scene for many years and I am sure they will miss him as well.
Old 20 Dec 2000, 01:12 (Ref:53403)   #2
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
what a complete tragedy..i always liked Stan when he was running at Indy..here was a man that ran dirt tracks all year and was quite successfull at it but come indy time he would roll out a car and take on the best the world had to offer at the brickyard..and he did pretty good there as well..i remember watching the 95 race when he had his big crash and i couldnt believe that anybody could survive that crash ...and indeed if you look at eddie cheever who was also involved he was probaby thinking the same thing..to see a man survive a crash like that and now have this happen is just demoralising and I wish his family all the best for the holiday season and send my most heartfelt condolences.
Old 20 Dec 2000, 09:08 (Ref:53445)   #3
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
remember seeing a photo of stans crash at indianapolis - lucky to ever walk again......tradgedy just follows some people i guess
Old 20 Dec 2000, 13:11 (Ref:53471)   #4
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
after reading this gomick i went through my old auto action collection and found the photo's i believe you are refering to ..what amazing shots they are..but it wasnt his legs that were the problem in fact he managed only to have minor injuries to his legs but he did suffer pretty bad head trauma during the accident and sadly he was never allowed to re gain his racing licence ..he wanted to race but the officials and CART doctors wouldnt let him..since the accident he apparently started taking parties through gasoline alley at Indy and showing people around the pits and generally giving them a good time at indy..just so he could stay around the sport he loved so much..
Old 20 Dec 2000, 14:19 (Ref:53476)   #5
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Stan Fox was quite an accomplished dirt oval racer. He won the Copper World Classic at Phoenix three times, he won the Belleville Midget Nationals twice, and the Turkey Night Grand Prix twice. He was the ’79 Badger midget champ, and he won a total of 19 USAC national midget features. He once won nine straight features at Angell Park Speedway in Wisconsin. These are big time races among the sprint car and midget drivers, not unlike Monaco and Monza are to F1.

Stan also formed a charity group after his crash in 1995 called the Friends of the Fox, a support group for people suffering head trauma. He regularly took groups of trauma victims to the speedway during races and tests.

Stan was, as Marcus pointed out, a guy who lived the age old dream of the midget and sprint racer. He wanted to win the Indianapolis 500. Unfortunately his head injuries were too much to allow him to compete any longer.