Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 23 Apr 2012, 21:38 (Ref:3064524)   #1
gravel_monkey
Veteran

England
widnes
gravel_monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
quickest incident you have seen

comments on another post got me thinkin. what is the quickest incident, time of session wise you have ever seen because i think oulton might hold the winner for both catagories.
1/ for the season. couple of years ago, first practice of the new season, nw sports saloons, a bmw managed to crash in the exit of the pit lane, first session of the whole race season.
2/ race wise, last year we had two bmws which actually crashed in parc ferme, one almost a write off, to damaged to race.

anyone think of any others
Old 23 Apr 2012, 21:44 (Ref:3064529)   #2
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A few years back at Phoneix Park the first practice was for Crossle 9s, 3 of them went up the escape road at the first corner concertina fashion on the first lap.
Old 23 Apr 2012, 21:54 (Ref:3064535)   #3
Keith Lewis
Rookie

United Kingdom
Liverpool
Keith Lewis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Britcar 24 support Race 2011. Two Alpha's hit each other as they came out of the assembly area at Silverstone.
Old 23 Apr 2012, 22:12 (Ref:3064544)   #4
Pete Howarth
Veteran

England
New Waltham
Pete Howarth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Many years ago at Cadwell Park a TR7 out of the assembly area and into the armco at Hall Bends.
Old 23 Apr 2012, 22:58 (Ref:3064566)   #5
chrisjt1985
Racer

England
Bury
chrisjt1985 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Qualifying at the British GT's a few weeks ago, 2 cars touched and spun in the pit lane exit at the start of the session! Never saw who it was or what caused it, but I would call that pretty damn quick in the session!
Old 23 Apr 2012, 23:42 (Ref:3064582)   #6
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A couple of years ago the third car of the season at Shelsley rolled at the first corner. That was impressive.
Old 24 Apr 2012, 06:07 (Ref:3064646)   #7
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bumper cars at Thruxton 3 years ago. Post 4. Darren Turner came out of the pit lane on the way to the grid, and promptly put it into the armco opposite me, having gone probably a little over 100 yards. Broken steering*. Also, in the next race, he made the start, bujt then put it in at post 2 on the first lap.

* EDIT - to clarify, that was the result, not the cause as far as I know.
Old 24 Apr 2012, 06:11 (Ref:3064648)   #8
Johansen2000
Racer

England
Leicester
Johansen2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohansen2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Weekend just gone at Donington Park for the Britcar endurance qualifying, a car come out of the pits for its very first lap and spun into the gravel and got stuck
Old 24 Apr 2012, 07:27 (Ref:3064686)   #9
Tal Aras
Racer

United Kingdom
Slough
Tal Aras should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
British GTs at Brands last year, one car in at Clearways as they went for the rolling start.
Old 24 Apr 2012, 07:37 (Ref:3064689)   #10
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hotrods, Roscommon. BEFORE first practise.

"We'll just send 4 cars out slow like, so the TV cameras can get a few shots."

First corner, one rolled.
Old 24 Apr 2012, 08:34 (Ref:3064714)   #11
Richard Sneader
Veteran

Scotland
Grays, Essex
Richard Sneader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Many moons ago I was marshalling for the Jim Russell school meeting at Donno. I was on Redgate Centre. Just 2 of us. First one of the year I think. First session, Single seater came out of the pit lane and drove straight into the gravel.
Good going that was.
Old 24 Apr 2012, 09:18 (Ref:3064743)   #12
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
EuroBOSS, Mondello, not sure which year, 2000/2001?

Someone had hired a large single seater for the event, first time out the pit lane put the cold slicks on a damp(ish) pitlane paint line, speared off straight in to the barrier opposite. Game Over Player One!
Old 24 Apr 2012, 09:47 (Ref:3064753)   #13
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've seen a few race cars actually drive to the circuit (a Lotus Elise passed me on the road to Silverstone a couple of weekends ago, I later saw it race). I wonder if any of these have crashed en-route? Having an off before even reaching the circuit would be impressive/downright stupid!
Old 24 Apr 2012, 09:55 (Ref:3064756)   #14
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Humphrey View Post
Having an off before even reaching the circuit would be impressive/downright stupid!
Not a racer, but had a marshal have an accident on the road to the circuit, basically clipped a van, van went off the road and got a flat, marshals car had a lot of front end damage.

Phones the B&B where the rescue crew and unit were overnighting and basically the unit attended along with a few other marshals that had been passing, jacked the van up, changed his tyre, pushed marshals car off down a side road, swept up the glass/debris and then back to the circuit in time for sign-on.

The look on the van drivers face, when this lot "descended" and basically cleaned up the whole scene in a highly organized manner, was priceless.
Old 24 Apr 2012, 10:53 (Ref:3064792)   #15
f1madmatt
Racer

England
Leicester
f1madmatt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oulton Park in 2007, British superbike meeting. Yamaha R6 cup, 1st practice session, one rider crashed coming out of the pitlane. He hit the pitwall and broke his collar bone
Old 24 Apr 2012, 11:46 (Ref:3064815)   #16
lucky scarf
Rookie

Wales
Kinmel Bay
lucky scarf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In 2010 for the day when I upgraded we had the Legends 2 seater camera car breakdown at Rocket whilst doing a few filming laps before any of the sessions actually started.
Old 24 Apr 2012, 11:54 (Ref:3064821)   #17
big al
Rookie

big al should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At the other end of the spectrum, at a race meeting at Lydden Hill many moons ago. The tow truck pulls out in front of the last car before he has passed the flag. Badly damaging the car. oops!
Old 24 Apr 2012, 12:25 (Ref:3064842)   #18
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another one; Snetterton, post 1, Jag pulls up by us at the start of the first race. Something bent and went on to wreck his driveshaft, ending his day. He was entered in 4 of the 6 races! Never felt so sorry for a driver in my time on the bank.
Old 24 Apr 2012, 12:37 (Ref:3064846)   #19
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mr McNish spun at the first corner of the pace lap at last year's 6hr LMS race.

Last year's F3 at Oulton witnessed one competitor taking his front wheel off against the Knickerbrook tyre bundle on the out-lap.

Someone will need to confirm this one, but I'm sure I remember many years ago an F3 being dropped as it was removed from the trailer before the first race of the year at Donington???
Old 24 Apr 2012, 13:04 (Ref:3064867)   #20
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First Britcar meeting at Oulton and they have scheduled three races the first of ninety minutes to take place before the lunch break and I'm Incidenting at Old Hall - the first corner for those who don't know Oulton.

Cars come out of the pit lane on their Green Flag lap and the next thing we see is a waved yellow at the Out flag point. Both of us look but don't react then the flag marshal beckons us and we find a car nose first to the armco just past the flag point. Driver is not very happy thinks he is out of the race.

Recovery arrives, three of them, because the car has mangled its side and is eventually removed. Almost everyone clears and as we are walking back we notice a broken post - wave recovery vehicle over and Clerks are requested to return. Circuit staff are summoned and post needs replacing before racing can recommence - Lunch is immediately called and 1st race is rescheduled for straight after.

Car is returned to team who manage to make it raceworthy, it is now three coloured as opposed to the original one and is cleared to race.

The car starts a lap down but stops at Knickerbrook because it has run out of fuel on the last lap.
Old 24 Apr 2012, 13:56 (Ref:3064900)   #21
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Remember doing a BARC meeting at Castle Combe a few years ago where, in wet conditions, during the green flag lap, the pole man was weaving, trying to warm up his tyres, and spun straight into the guy alongside him, wiping out the front row.
Old 24 Apr 2012, 14:02 (Ref:3064902)   #22
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man View Post
Remember doing a BARC meeting at Castle Combe a few years ago where, in wet conditions, during the green flag lap, the pole man was weaving, trying to warm up his tyres, and spun straight into the guy alongside him, wiping out the front row.
I'm sure that Frank Sytner did a similar thing during the warming up lap at a Brands BTCC round in the late '80's...
Old 24 Apr 2012, 15:45 (Ref:3064980)   #23
Terrible-Tones
Veteran

Wales
Thrapston - Northants
Terrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTerrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Had a Fiesta a couple of weeks ago that managed to park it in the gravel on his Green Flag lap at Maggots. Doh!

They did get him out and he was able to take the start. Yippee!

However I believe he steadfastly ignored Nina's instructions (given by CoC) on the grid and started from his original position rather than at the back - attracting a further penalty. Doh!
Old 24 Apr 2012, 16:30 (Ref:3065003)   #24
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One driver, who still occasionally races, had a bad mood on at Brands and came down the paddock and threw the car sharp right just in front of the scrutineering bay, and promptly rolled.
Old 24 Apr 2012, 16:41 (Ref:3065011)   #25
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I'm sure that Frank Sytner did a similar thing during the warming up lap at a Brands BTCC round in the late '80's...
Nice to hear of Sytner putting himself in the gravel....