Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 20 Apr 2012, 11:15 (Ref:3062577)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
[V8ST12R03] Manfeild - 27–29 Apr 2012

Too many competitive cars to choose... will Mr McIntyre come back from his points penalty and win again, will Mr Murphy continue his R1 form... will a team give Mr Coulthard a ride...

Too many questions, not enough racing...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 20 Apr 2012, 20:32 (Ref:3062808)   #2
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
Icarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridIcarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I predict that the crowds will be tiny, the racing will be non existant, the cars inherantly unreliable. The team owners will decide that the way forward is to have a demo derby with their poorly designed, boring cars and all buy NEW GEN SUPER NZV8s. With the sun rising on the ALL NEW MOTORSPORTS PROMOTIONS CORPORATION it will herald in bright new future.

'You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police. Yet in their hearts there is unspoken – unspeakable! – fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts! Words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home, all the more powerful because they are forbidden. These terrify them. A little mouse – a little tiny mouse! – of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.'

Oh woe - disaster

Seriously, qualifying is where the interest lies. I'm sure there has been plenty of work done to identify how to make it all work at the right time.
Old 20 Apr 2012, 23:02 (Ref:3062854)   #3
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats crackup Icarus

I think it will be an exciting round and i look forward to heading down for the racing
Old 22 Apr 2012, 05:49 (Ref:3063449)   #4
dip it
Rookie

dip it should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus_nz View Post
I predict that the crowds will be tiny, the racing will be non existant, the cars inherantly unreliable. The team owners will decide that the way forward is to have a demo derby with their poorly designed, boring cars and all buy NEW GEN SUPER NZV8s. With the sun rising on the ALL NEW MOTORSPORTS PROMOTIONS CORPORATION it will herald in bright new future.

Oh woe - disaster

Seriously, qualifying is where the interest lies. I'm sure there has been plenty of work done to identify how to make it all work at the right time.
It is sad to think some think like you. Have you not worked out all the good blokes have gone to Supertourer.
Good luck with your new NZV8 back to the future. Nearly as fast as the old one.
Old 22 Apr 2012, 09:47 (Ref:3063529)   #5
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dip it View Post
It is sad to think some think like you. Have you not worked out all the good blokes have gone to Supertourer.
Good luck with your new NZV8 back to the future. Nearly as fast as the old one.
He was being ironic, mate. If you read the other threads you'll see he's "one of us" i.e. a big fan.
Old 22 Apr 2012, 09:48 (Ref:3063530)   #6
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
He was being ironic, mate. If you read the other threads you'll see he's "one of us" i.e. a big fan.
And I'm not being ironic, or sarcastic.
Old 22 Apr 2012, 20:01 (Ref:3063855)   #7
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Now moving the topic from the "no more Supercars in NZ" thread to here, which is the one where certain people are bemoaning the lack of overtaking at Ruapuna, do you not think that it says more about the nature of the circuit than anything else?

If cars that are evenly matched can't find a way past it is usually shortcomings in the circuit design, and there's a lot of it in Formula 1, or at least there was.

It comes down to cars running aero packages that are fairly efficient (as opposed to none at all when most of the circuits in NZ were designed) and not enough width or the wrong track shape to give overtaking opportunities if the cars are all the same. You won't find it happening at Hampton Downs (I know, I was there) and you won't at Pukekohe either.

Manfeild, who can tell? Guess we will find out this weekend, but don't blame the cars for a lack of passing opportunities when there is no real difference between the cars and the drivers are all pretty talented too!
Old 24 Apr 2012, 04:09 (Ref:3064625)   #8
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Just checked the weather models for this weekend, looks like there will be fast moving cold front come thru on friday, and then it sets into a dry, but windy sou-westerly. I dont know how exposed the track is to wind (even though i have blatted around there a few times!!), but the isobars are fairly tight indicating the wind strength. Saturday seems rain free at this stage, but windy from the sou-west.
Sunday should still be dry, but the wind will be more westerly so possibly slightly warmer air temps on the sunday. Rain/drizzle will creep in to the area late on sunday (as in after the race), but that could come forward a wee bit as the models can be out somewhat.

But all in all it should be a dry weekend, coldish at first and then warming on the sunday....but windy.
Old 24 Apr 2012, 04:18 (Ref:3064627)   #9
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post
I dont know how exposed the track is to wind

one word... very
Old 24 Apr 2012, 05:04 (Ref:3064632)   #10
Jerico
Veteran

New Zealand
Jerico should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post

one word... very
Yes I would have to agree, it will be so much stronger this year with the four old wind bags going full out, as in the four smiles you started with.

I presume these four old wind bags are Ugy, Smoken Joe, Chappeli and yourself.

Before you get over excited and burst something, it is just a little tongue in cheek stuff.

Last edited by Jerico; 24 Apr 2012 at 05:26.
Old 24 Apr 2012, 06:11 (Ref:3064649)   #11
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
will i be at manfeild this weekend?

hmm better check my pockets for free tickets
Old 24 Apr 2012, 23:11 (Ref:3065206)   #12
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post

one word... very

Well if thats the case i wonder how cross winds will affect the cars...if at all.

Dont know why you had to put down 4 x ROFL icons for that response, but whatever floats ya boat i geuss
Old 27 Apr 2012, 08:07 (Ref:3066039)   #13
Biggy G
Veteran

Biggy G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From this:

to this:

in about an hour today!

Full albums:
V8 Supertourer Friday Practice

V8 Challenge Cup Friday Practice
Old 27 Apr 2012, 23:10 (Ref:3066373)   #14
Biggy G
Veteran

Biggy G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Speedstuff:

BREAKING NEWS: Supercheap V8SuperTourer team with drivers Scott McLaughlin and Geoff Emery forced to withdraw from race weekend with unsolvable engine problems... more to follow

Also, Andy Knight is battling with the engine that he had in the car before Ruapuna

Uh oh.....

Practice was wet wet WET too:

Old 27 Apr 2012, 23:24 (Ref:3066377)   #15
JC Ohope
Racer

New Zealand
Wellington
JC Ohope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJC Ohope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggy G View Post
Speedstuff:

BREAKING NEWS: Supercheap V8SuperTourer team with drivers Scott McLaughlin and Geoff Emery forced to withdraw from race weekend with unsolvable engine problems... more to follow
Eeep, they're putting it down to the same cooling issues:

Quote:
The third round of the V8SuperTourer inaugural championship has been rocked by confirmation that the Supercheap Holden Commodores run by Melbourne Performance Centre have been withdrawn from the event.

Drivers Scott McLaughlin and Geoff Emery did not take part in the practice session this morning as the team elected to withdraw the cars to avoid further costly engine damage as a result of unresolved cooling issues.

“I don’t know what’s going on to be honest.” McLaughlin told speedstuff.
McLaughlin is already on his second engine after issues in the opening rounds.

“I don’t think the category has got the engine cooling sorted as yet and it’s cost us a couple of engines.”

Christchurch driver Andy Knight did not complete any laps in the session, as the team spent time trying to diagnose their ongoing engine dramas.

Knight remains optimistic the team have fixed the problem and will take part in this afternoons qualifying and race.
Speedstuff Article
Old 27 Apr 2012, 23:31 (Ref:3066379)   #16
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
That's a real shame, and McLaughlin senior is also a shareholder of V8ST. Unfortunately I think this now signals a more serious turn for the worse, especially if Knight doesn't get through either. Terrible stuff really.
Old 28 Apr 2012, 00:21 (Ref:3066389)   #17
harcey
Racer

harcey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by on_to_it View Post
That's a real shame, and McLaughlin senior is also a shareholder of V8ST. Unfortunately I think this now signals a more serious turn for the worse, especially if Knight doesn't get through either. Terrible stuff really.
This is pretty damn serious.
1x question---"who is paying".
this whole debacle is going to cost serious dollars as you would expect.
I am glad i am not a car owner at this point and certainly feel for the teams where drivers have bought i a carefully derived budget-do they get given the big bill and get told to pay up ??????.
I would venture that the issue was way more serious than let out through the media-i bet the wet yesterday and this morning was a blessing and i bet rain dances are to the fore for the balance of the weekend..
Old 28 Apr 2012, 01:33 (Ref:3066391)   #18
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Oh s**t, this doesn't sound good. Thats all i can say about it. My usual positivity about this class is a little dented today after hearing that.
Old 28 Apr 2012, 04:21 (Ref:3066398)   #19
harcey
Racer

harcey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
nice job jonny reid to win race 1-clinical drive.and Ant pederson 4th is a good result for international motorsport..
Old 28 Apr 2012, 04:24 (Ref:3066399)   #20
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by harcey View Post
This is pretty damn serious.
1x question---"who is paying".
this whole debacle is going to cost serious dollars as you would expect.
I am glad i am not a car owner at this point and certainly feel for the teams where drivers have bought i a carefully derived budget-do they get given the big bill and get told to pay up ??????.
I would venture that the issue was way more serious than let out through the media-i bet the wet yesterday and this morning was a blessing and i bet rain dances are to the fore for the balance of the weekend..
I think it is quite odd that this engine issue seems to be isolated now to one particular team, There were revisions to the cooling induction before the last round weren't there? And work on a baffle solution for the sumps from Cragsted?

Perhaps MPC got their sums wrong and didnt find the magic trick to keeping the engines alive like other teams?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 28 Apr 2012, 04:25 (Ref:3066400)   #21
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Agreed, considering he only qualified 12th. International Motorsport are doing a very good job with these cars.
Old 28 Apr 2012, 05:15 (Ref:3066405)   #22
Speedwayracer44
Rookie

Speedwayracer44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great to have another winner although things dont sound good for McLaughlin. Add this ontop of his recent drama with Geoff Short in Hamilton and I reckon Wayne will be about to knock someone. Dont know if its been out there but Geoff Short gained access to the supercheap workshop claiming he wanted something of his own out of there and took photos and measurements of their cars and sent them to MSNZ the following day and then bragged about it. Word is that Wayne paid a couple of people a visit associated with the NZV8 car soon after and short and his gear was removed from the workshop soon after. You have got to ask yourself what this member of MSC, MPL, MSNZ was doing here and shows the lengths the sport is going to to ensure they try and win this battle!
Old 28 Apr 2012, 07:46 (Ref:3066426)   #23
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedwayracer44 View Post
Great to have another winner although things dont sound good for McLaughlin. Add this ontop of his recent drama with Geoff Short in Hamilton and I reckon Wayne will be about to knock someone. Dont know if its been out there but Geoff Short gained access to the supercheap workshop claiming he wanted something of his own out of there and took photos and measurements of their cars and sent them to MSNZ the following day and then bragged about it. Word is that Wayne paid a couple of people a visit associated with the NZV8 car soon after and short and his gear was removed from the workshop soon after. You have got to ask yourself what this member of MSC, MPL, MSNZ was doing here and shows the lengths the sport is going to to ensure they try and win this battle!
I'm a little confused here. Are you saying Short measured and photographed the SuperCheap SuperTourers?

And why would he have gear in their workshop?

We all know he's a thick skinned plonker, but this could set the bar even higher!
Old 28 Apr 2012, 08:22 (Ref:3066434)   #24
Speedwayracer44
Rookie

Speedwayracer44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Super cheap racing apparently use an unused workshop owned by Ingham Booth and shorts gear was in another part but he convinced someone to give him a key and got in there. Who told him to do this though?
Old 28 Apr 2012, 08:25 (Ref:3066436)   #25
Point2
Rookie

Point2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
I think it is quite odd that this engine issue seems to be isolated now to one particular team, There were revisions to the cooling induction before the last round weren't there? And work on a baffle solution for the sumps from Cragsted?

Perhaps MPC got their sums wrong and didnt find the magic trick to keeping the engines alive like other teams?
Others teams are putting it down to the oil being used.
I spoke to drivers and their teams while we where on the pitwall Friday
They have had no problems at all. But oil type popped up in conversation more than once by more than one team.

Us. (challenge cup)Well we just had a **** weekend and we put the car back on the trailer before qualifying this morning. Melted a throttle cable. Then chased a misfire
Not worth blowing a motor so back in the garage.

Last edited by Point2; 28 Apr 2012 at 08:34.