Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Nov 2008, 12:31 (Ref:2326901)   #1
The Shrew
Rookie

England
Cheshire
The Shrew should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The big promise ( again ) ??

So are Honda going to dangle the BIG promise carrot in front of Buttons nose again ?

We will have a great car and will give you a chance to win etc etc

Tallent going to waste i feel.
Old 3 Nov 2008, 12:48 (Ref:2326918)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
To be honest, I get the impression Button should be the one carrot waving given he has no chance of a drive elsewhere at the moment.

He deserves to remain at Honda and benefit from a decent car, which Honda will surely make soon.
Old 3 Nov 2008, 12:56 (Ref:2326924)   #3
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Lotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Honda have been truly putting 'all' into next years car, there's a decent chance it'll be competitive. I hope so.
I think it's too early to tell whether it will be a waste of talent but
both JB and RB deserve a better car than of late.

Cheers
Peter:
Shrug:
Old 3 Nov 2008, 13:42 (Ref:2326964)   #4
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I get the slight feeling JB is happy to stay there and pick up the paycheck.

But, next year should show the true effect of Ross Brawn, so its a dilemma. And I'm sure theres a fair few people wanting JB to go to pastures new (Ant Davidson... ).
Old 3 Nov 2008, 13:55 (Ref:2326981)   #5
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Knowlesy makes a very good point, although I'm not sure at all Honda will improve significantly
Old 3 Nov 2008, 14:21 (Ref:2326997)   #6
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Honda is the big promise for the next season.

Does anybody doubts it ?

Sure not.

Promises doesn't always come true.
Old 3 Nov 2008, 16:27 (Ref:2327112)   #7
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
They've got to ditch the 'green' livery for a start!

As we saw in Brazil,it still seems to be prone to the odd forest fire.
Old 3 Nov 2008, 16:30 (Ref:2327114)   #8
The Shrew
Rookie

England
Cheshire
I dont see how just because Ross Brawn went to the team he would make them real fast ?

Yes he has a great deal of experince and i would think the team runs a lot better now he's a part of it but he doesnt design the cars etc which after all is the main part of being fast.
Old 3 Nov 2008, 16:39 (Ref:2327122)   #9
Stefvh
Veteran

Belgium
Stefvh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot
They've got to ditch the 'green' livery for a start!

As we saw in Brazil,it still seems to be prone to the odd forest fire.
It was supposed to stay for three years.
Old 3 Nov 2008, 16:41 (Ref:2327126)   #10
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefvh
It was supposed to stay for three years.
Oh,I get it! It's not fully matured yet.
Old 3 Nov 2008, 17:24 (Ref:2327155)   #11
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot
Oh,I get it! It's not fully matured yet.
Ross Brawn ????
Old 3 Nov 2008, 17:41 (Ref:2327164)   #12
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Satorian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi
Honda is the big promise for the next season.
Followed by BMW and, to some extent, Toyota in my opinion. I expect Ferrari to take the hardest hit next season, due to the introduction of KERS. Big manufacturers have been investing a lot more into its research compared to a sportscar manufacturer like Ferrari where the green image has not been that important or even intentionally eschewed.

Given approximate parity for aero developments for '09, I expect those three teams to make quite a splash with KERS, closing the gap towards Ferrari and McLaren by a considerable margin.

As for Renault, I wonder how much priority they put on '09 and how much they invested in this year's car to salvage the season and be able to show for something, so the whole F1 effort doesn't get scrapped sooner rather than later.
Old 3 Nov 2008, 21:36 (Ref:2327377)   #13
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shrew
I dont see how just because Ross Brawn went to the team he would make them real fast ?

Yes he has a great deal of experince and i would think the team runs a lot better now he's a part of it but he doesnt design the cars etc which after all is the main part of being fast.
I think he's been hired more for his organisation skills and structure of departments, and his tactics too.
Old 3 Nov 2008, 21:50 (Ref:2327390)   #14
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by medius
I think he's been hired more for his organisation skills and structure of departments, and his tactics too.
I thought that too, but now I see that he has been hired to find the missing parts of a huge puzzle.
Old 3 Nov 2008, 23:58 (Ref:2327494)   #15
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Button has been one of, if not the most anonymous drivers in F1 this year.

It's a convenient excuse to say the car was poor, but I sensed very little conviction in his driving. Rubens on the other hand, in the same car, was usually the one trying to push on and drive himself up the order -- and I think this is reflected in the points standings.

I do regard Button as one of the better drivers in F1, but a driver, not a racer. Given a good car he can (as he proved in '04) deliver consistently good results. But there is more to being a top f1 driver than just driving fast. Is Button a man that can motivate a team, rally them around him and get them all (not just the likes of Fry) believing in him? I'm not sure that he is.
Old 4 Nov 2008, 00:16 (Ref:2327500)   #16
The Shrew
Rookie

England
Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius
Yeah i agree but everyone jumped on the band wagon saying he would turn it arond over night ( or that type of thing )
Old 4 Nov 2008, 00:18 (Ref:2327501)   #17
The Shrew
Rookie

England
Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven

It's a convenient excuse to say the car was poor, but I sensed very little conviction in his driving. Rubens on the other hand, in the same car, was usually the one trying to push on and drive himself up the order -- and I think this is reflected in the points standings.

I do regard Button as one of the better drivers in F1, but a driver, not a racer. Given a good car he can (as he proved in '04) deliver consistently good results. But there is more to being a top f1 driver than just driving fast. Is Button a man that can motivate a team, rally them around him and get them all (not just the likes of Fry) believing in him? I'm not sure that he is.
Thats a great call mate.
Old 4 Nov 2008, 01:15 (Ref:2327526)   #18
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Satorian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven

His on-track temperament perhaps didn't show it, but by what I've read in recent times he really pulled himself together and acts very professionally within the team. He gave up partying for sports, is always on time, always on point, always inquiring into things and immersing himself in team issues. Pretty much like what has been said about Glock since Toyota hired him. Not very flashy, but once he gets a proper car, I expect his on-track fire to return.
Old 4 Nov 2008, 02:10 (Ref:2327539)   #19
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Buttons career desperately needs a good car next season
Old 4 Nov 2008, 03:44 (Ref:2327556)   #20
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
A good place to start would be to get rid of those stupid team uniforms( The ice cream man) that earth dream nonsense, and get on and build a bloody race car that Button can drive...
Old 4 Nov 2008, 04:15 (Ref:2327564)   #21
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I still have faith in Button, but it has been severely stretched this year! Like any of them he needs a good car and he can then improve it, to suggest that this year has been Ruben's year is a bit off the mark simply because the motivation may have been different for each. If what we hear is true, it may be that Button, like the team has been concentrating on the next season, having written this one off pretty early.

When I talked to the Techies on the way to Bahrain in April, they were very supportive so unless things have changed he still has the supoport of the team.

Ultimately anyone who can outpsyche and out perform a former WDC and dislodge him from a team that was built up for him, cannot be all bad.
Old 4 Nov 2008, 04:46 (Ref:2327572)   #22
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey 6 litre
Buttons career desperately needs a good car next season

Honda's career desperately needs a good Button next season.