Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Sep 2004, 14:22 (Ref:1105955)   #1
sonic
Veteran

sonic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JV really has changed!

So the once anti-corporate petulant bad boy of F1 is taking his new mature image quite seriously!

apparently he personally said this about his new partnership with Tag Heuer:

"TAG Heuer's philosophy, like that of Formula 1, has always been driven by an obsessive quest for performance and style, and this is what gives them their inimitable status," says Jacques Villeneuve.

yeah right!
Old 24 Sep 2004, 14:25 (Ref:1105957)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Cool watches though.

Apparently JV is a lot calmer around the paddock now.
Old 24 Sep 2004, 14:26 (Ref:1105958)   #3
BARrouette
Racer

BARrouette should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its better to say that then bashing his partnerships...
Old 24 Sep 2004, 15:04 (Ref:1105994)   #4
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
read the press conference transcript... he sounded un-JV-like...

i think he learnt his lesson when he was mouthing off Button last year and Jense gave his reply on track.....

its been a long time coming but maybe just maybe JV has grown up...
Old 24 Sep 2004, 15:27 (Ref:1106034)   #5
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
I think his reputation for being non-corporate friendly has been blown out of proportion by people on this site.

I siding with the Canadians - 1st time for everything!
Old 24 Sep 2004, 15:34 (Ref:1106040)   #6
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Re: JV really has changed!

Quote:
Originally posted by sonic

"TAG Heuer's philosophy, like that of Formula 1, has always been driven by an obsessive quest for performance and style, and this is what gives them their inimitable status," says Jacques Villeneuve.

Agreed, sounds like a new and improved JV, however, the most important line in your original post is this one....

Quote:
Originally posted by sonic

apparently he personally said this about his new partnership with Tag Heuer:

Doesn't do to rubbish the people who are paying you and helping you to get back into F1, long may it continue
Old 24 Sep 2004, 15:52 (Ref:1106052)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Besides I'd be very surprised if JV actually said those exact words...
Old 24 Sep 2004, 16:59 (Ref:1106100)   #8
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sell out!

Seriously, I never felt JV was immature in the first place, as some of you are implying. Maybe "grown up" means PR guru to you guys though!
Old 24 Sep 2004, 17:07 (Ref:1106104)   #9
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I tend to think most of JV's past stuff has been twisted beyond what he truely ment, but on the other hand getting booted out of F1 has to have a humbling effect.
Old 24 Sep 2004, 17:50 (Ref:1106132)   #10
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You can't go around with an 'attitude' all your life and the older you get the more 'silly' it looks, all part of life's rich pattern!
Old 24 Sep 2004, 18:56 (Ref:1106165)   #11
QuickSilver
Racer

QuickSilver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
attitude, schmattitude. the real question is: is he still quick or not?
-
Old 24 Sep 2004, 20:57 (Ref:1106268)   #12
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, in the end what counts is performance, not how he looks or how much hair he has or whatever he says...
Old 24 Sep 2004, 21:29 (Ref:1106285)   #13
300kph
Racer

300kph should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Although I miss the old attitude ( not because I like), I should say he must have learn some lessons but I hope he will not over do it...

Performance wise, I think he'll be fine...
Old 24 Sep 2004, 21:37 (Ref:1106288)   #14
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The pictures of him at the track are great to see; he's smiling so much! I think he's had a great, big grin on his face for the past week. Looks like he's really enjoying himself
Old 24 Sep 2004, 21:50 (Ref:1106300)   #15
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was great to read the Friday press conference. JV is truly a changed man, and the year out has done him the world of good. He says he feels just like in 96. All the politics and bad things that happened at BAR are behind him, and he's ready to begin his "second" F1 career. And long may it last!
Old 24 Sep 2004, 21:51 (Ref:1106301)   #16
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Don't flame me here, but I think he's realised that he is actually expendable despite being a world champ.

He got dropped by BAR and was left without a drive and I think he's grateful he's had the chance to get back.

This time last year it was all about wage demands, but now he's a bit more accomodating.

Don't get me wrong, it's nice to have him back, but that's just the way I see it.
Old 24 Sep 2004, 22:00 (Ref:1106306)   #17
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, I think that's part of JV's realization, Spudgun. He is much more humble now, which, for me, as a fan of his, is good to see.

He may have felt he had the moral right to demand a high salary due to being the only other WDC in the field, but the market doesn't always work that way. And, let's be honest, JV's performances weren't always up to his old standards, though certainly the environment at BAR at times played its part in that.

Thank goodness he's out of that team now, and in with a chance of making a new challenge!

(And if you think I'm fired up, you can bet I am! )
Old 24 Sep 2004, 22:09 (Ref:1106320)   #18
sgjb
Racer

sgjb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really don't think Jacques has changed that much, I think he is older and wiser as happens to anyone of us.
Time away gives you a new perspective on anything wether it be racing or just any job at all.

Jacques has always treated his personal sponsors with respect. I have never once heard or seen him complain about his personal sponsors at all.

I still guarantee you that when Jacques feels there has been an injustice you will hear about. The press will make sure of it and add on an extra helping to make it worse as well. I can already see the headlines they will use "Jacques up to his old tricks" and many others I can think of.
Old 24 Sep 2004, 23:49 (Ref:1106367)   #19
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
It isn't only TAG he is promoting it is Michael: http://jv.flagworld.com/en/news/inde...py?artid=29429
Quote:
Michael has achieved a lot and this year has been very impressive.
and there is more in the article...

*now, where is that link to the forum rules...*
Old 25 Sep 2004, 07:01 (Ref:1106426)   #20
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
Besides I'd be very surprised if JV actually said those exact words...
He likely did... when the PR flak gave him the piece of paper with the text on it, and suggested JV read it aloud
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 25 Sep 2004, 09:13 (Ref:1106472)   #21
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Anyone changes attitude when they are unemployed.

When you need work you say what is required and do what is asked.
Old 25 Sep 2004, 09:59 (Ref:1106489)   #22
R
Veteran

Bit of a quantum leap there, comparing the attitude of a Formula One millionaire in search of a seat to regular Joes at the unemployment office looking for a job!

JV didn't need the seat. But he did want it. And yes, his attitude has changed. But I think that's more to do with a new fresh look on things rather than some "desperate" need for a seat in F1!
Old 25 Sep 2004, 10:20 (Ref:1106497)   #23
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Leopards and spots
Old 25 Sep 2004, 10:32 (Ref:1106506)   #24
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by R
JV didn't need the seat. But he did want it.
Yes - I do agree with you R, but the same still applies whether it's 'need' or 'want' - you behave yourself and do the rights things to get it.

And, I suspect it will only last until he is secure somewhere and things are not going well and then the whinging will start. I think it's his character.
Old 25 Sep 2004, 13:48 (Ref:1106585)   #25
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What's this I hear about JV describing the Shanghai track as "gorgeous, challenging and fun"?

I was expecting a Hockenheim 2002-esque outburst, saying how boring the place was and how somebody could be killed at one of the corners.

How wrong was I.....