Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 25 May 2005, 14:25 (Ref:1309906)   #1
Tiptop
Racer

United Kingdom
Bristol
Tiptop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bruno Senna

I am a massive Ayrton Senna fan and have been for years, and when I saw the Senna name appear again in F3 I was keen to learn whether or not Bruno Senna shared the same talent for his uncle.

I know it's early days and Bruno was banned from racing karts when his uncle died in 1994 but I was just curious as to others people thoughts on how good he is and whether they are keen to see the Senna name back in F1 in the future ?
Old 25 May 2005, 14:29 (Ref:1309907)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He's done about 3 races in F3 - it's a bit premature to be thinking of F1.

I like to see drivers reach it meritoriously.

If he's good enough, the name will help, but it's a huge burden too
Old 25 May 2005, 14:32 (Ref:1309910)   #3
Tiptop
Racer

United Kingdom
Bristol
Tiptop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You are correct I agree it's premature for F1 but it would be nice to see that Senna name racing against Piquet Jnr and Rosberg etc...

I hope he delivers and gets to F1 on his own merit as you say..
Old 25 May 2005, 14:37 (Ref:1309917)   #4
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
I was at Donnington and Croft for two of the F3 meetings in question.

He was ragged at Donnington and made some pretty rookie mistakes it has to be said, however he did pull a couple of outstanding overtaking moves into McLeans and Coppice corners.
Old 25 May 2005, 14:37 (Ref:1309918)   #5
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiptop
You are correct I agree it's premature for F1 but it would be nice to see that Senna name racing against Piquet Jnr and Rosberg etc...

But not Lauda, please
Old 25 May 2005, 16:19 (Ref:1310017)   #6
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No, not Mathias. Christ he's poor. And that's being kind.

Anyways....Bruno Senna. I've watched all his Formula BMW meetings at the back end of last season and seen highlights of the majority of his F3 stuff and I am quite impressed with what I see in terms of skill and pace. But there is a major rawness there at the minute in that his massive inexperience hinders him in racing situations. But he is learning all the time, and I believe he has a massive potential. I'm quite sure he'll do well in this sport.
Old 25 May 2005, 16:29 (Ref:1310025)   #7
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah I saw him at Donington and he was very impressive in practice when the conditions were tricky. He was very quick in the races but he kept throwing it off the road!
Old 25 May 2005, 16:35 (Ref:1310030)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
moved to NISS
Old 25 May 2005, 17:21 (Ref:1310060)   #9
CallumC
Rookie

Scotland
Preston, Lancashire
CallumC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As you have said, he seems pretty kwik just keeps throwing it off, could be a lack of race that should have been learned in karting perhaps???

Would love to see him make to F1 though, experience will come I reckon!!
Old 25 May 2005, 17:38 (Ref:1310067)   #10
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Apparently Bruno has signed up to do the Ultimate Rally next year, so let's hope that doesn't end up screwing up his racing career (IF he indeed does take part, that is).

The UR is going to be insane.
Old 25 May 2005, 18:12 (Ref:1310088)   #11
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
bruno is one of those drivers that you just know for a fact is going to be very very good. of course it won't be straight away, but he'll get there.
Old 25 May 2005, 19:17 (Ref:1310130)   #12
TomS
Racer

TomS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ultimate rally?:S
Old 25 May 2005, 20:57 (Ref:1310207)   #13
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomS
ultimate rally?:S
You know what the Gumball 3000 is? The UR is a similar event, only crazier.
Old 25 May 2005, 22:08 (Ref:1310254)   #14
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've been very impressed with Bruno's raw pace, but as people have said his racecraft needs a lot of work. He seems to have the talent to go with his name, but I would have thought he'd be better off doing a full season of Formula Renault before F3. Maybe after a learning year of F3 we can truly judge his potential next year (assuming he doesn't jump in at the deep end again in something like GP2).
Old 25 May 2005, 22:13 (Ref:1310259)   #15
flexible-flyer
Veteran

Northern Ireland
the british isles/ireland/ze vorrrld
flexible-flyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
cant blame him for trying. his family were holding him back unfairly. the guy obviously has racing in his blood and i think he has done well considering he only started racing very recently.
Old 25 May 2005, 22:16 (Ref:1310263)   #16
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
jon, what on earth would make you think he'd learn things in frenault that he can't learn in f3? it's not like he'd be able to learn in peace there either.

as someone once said, if you can't throw yourself into a particular level of motorsport and survive straight away, you probably shouldn't be there in the first place.
Old 25 May 2005, 22:30 (Ref:1310276)   #17
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
There may be some fast tracking in progress to make up for lost time, but he will actually learn more in F3 than he would in FRenault and I'd say he's with the best possible team for him at this stage.

By my reckoning the second race at Knockhill would have been his 12th ever car race, and that's without a proper karting background.
Old 25 May 2005, 23:05 (Ref:1310292)   #18
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella
jon, what on earth would make you think he'd learn things in frenault that he can't learn in f3? it's not like he'd be able to learn in peace there either.

as someone once said, if you can't throw yourself into a particular level of motorsport and survive straight away, you probably shouldn't be there in the first place.
True, but I was just thinking he could hone his racecraft in Formula Renault with a little less pressure/expectation from the prying eyes of the media. I know his circumstances were different, but Scott Speed didn't benefit from jumping straight into F3. But so far it seems Senna has the talent to cope with the jump, and as he learns more concrete results will hopefully follow.
Old 26 May 2005, 05:12 (Ref:1310404)   #19
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus
Yeah I saw him at Donington and he was very impressive in practice when the conditions were tricky. He was very quick in the races but he kept throwing it off the road!
Sounds like the original Senna when he started! I'm glad that it seems he is fast - those freakish reactions/co-ordination/etc may have survived and been passed down after all..
Old 26 May 2005, 08:15 (Ref:1310473)   #20
Zurich
Rookie

Switzerland
Zurich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw him at a couple of the tests, where he was particularly impressive. He's shown flashes of pace since then, but no real consistency or progress in races. But I think he has done as much as anyone can have expected so far, considering his experience. He is certainly a very very naturally able driver and it wouldn't shock me to see him make it to F1.
Old 26 May 2005, 11:44 (Ref:1310619)   #21
moggie
Rookie

moggie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Too true, he does have talent but come on - it is a Senna. He doesn't need to race to be what he is and surely he is just doing this for a bit of fun? So whether he sinks or swims, I think we will all be impressed!
Old 26 May 2005, 16:30 (Ref:1310819)   #22
Mathias
Veteran

England
Buckinghamshire: home of the British GP!
Mathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
No, not Mathias. Christ he's poor. And that's being kind.
Eh?! What have I ever done to you?

Oh, I see

Old 26 May 2005, 16:40 (Ref:1310830)   #23
Mathias
Veteran

England
Buckinghamshire: home of the British GP!
Mathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's some bizarre stuff in this thread, I must say.

To be honest, my first impressions of Bruno are that he is pretty damned ragged, though he does have some pace on him. And I think he's in danger of blowing his career by trying to bite off more than he can chew. That said, he did pretty well in FRenault at Macau last year.

I agree with Bella that a year in F3 is probably as good a move as a year in FRenault (especially as the latter is just oh so boring IMHO), but I think the idea that you can judge a driver by how well he'd do if you just through him into any series is utter crap. If you put me in a F3 car tomorrow, I'd probably do a lot of damage, but if you put me through a few seasons in karts and single-seaters I'd be bound to do a lot better. If you could find a cockpit opening that was wide enough that is. And Bruno didn't exactly excel in FBMW last year. Blah blah blah.
Old 26 May 2005, 17:06 (Ref:1310856)   #24
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Of course I didn't mean yourself, Mathias of Leafy Buckinghamshire! Hehe...You're not quite as incapable as the Lauda variant.