Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Feb 2006, 11:20 (Ref:1524948)   #1
ccharlie6
Rookie

United Kingdom
Bristol
ccharlie6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honda's Mileage!!!

just reading a story on F1 live about the distance covered by the teams in the testing period. Honda have done 4000km more than any other team in the paddock making a total of 22,000km of testing laps! renault have done 17,200km in comparison.

Button has also done the most testing distance of any driver totalling 8700km ahead of PDLR who has done 7500Km.

good effort by Honda lets see if it pays off.
Old 17 Feb 2006, 11:45 (Ref:1524964)   #2
lookleft
Racer

lookleft should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How many engine changes was that?
Old 17 Feb 2006, 11:54 (Ref:1524972)   #3
ccharlie6
Rookie

United Kingdom
Bristol
ccharlie6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
no idea but this week they have seemed to be pretty reliable in bahrain which with the heat i would have thought would put high stress on the powertrain and they have easily completed 1000km on their engines
Old 17 Feb 2006, 12:22 (Ref:1524988)   #4
lookleft
Racer

lookleft should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't know, just recall reading about a few on track failures for the Honda. Renault seem to the onlt ones not blowing up at regular intervals, and maybe the Cossies.

The Merc and Honda seem to have a few "oil pressure" problems.
Old 17 Feb 2006, 13:29 (Ref:1525031)   #5
WapFlap
Racer

Netherlands
The Netherlands
WapFlap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
22.000 km of testing is not good for F1, its just too much. I rather see all the teams together at one or two tracks and a testlimit of 5 to 10.000 km. And also a ban on the testing equipment in the factories, this would make it possible imo for the smaller teams to get closer to the topteams.
Old 17 Feb 2006, 13:33 (Ref:1525037)   #6
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Yeh definately, because all development/track time costs.

Selby
Old 17 Feb 2006, 14:04 (Ref:1525072)   #7
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookleft
Don't know, just recall reading about a few on track failures for the Honda. Renault seem to the onlt ones not blowing up at regular intervals, and maybe the Cossies.

The Merc and Honda seem to have a few "oil pressure" problems.
Where are you getting this? Honda has had one reported and another "through the grapevine" engine failures. The failures occurred when the motors had already done more than two race distances. In fact they were expected and basically were a test on the engines limitations and weaknesses.

Renault has had engine failures, so has Maclaren and Ferrari. Toyota has had them too. In fact if they have not had at least one then I would suspect the team is not finding the limits of their motors.

Honda has changed their approach to this season as far as motors are concerned. They are working on reliability first, then power. They already have one of the best motors. Also, how would they be able to complete so many miles if they were constantly changing motors. There are only two cars. Its their impeccable reliability that has allowed them to test so much.
Old 17 Feb 2006, 16:24 (Ref:1525167)   #8
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
is there a link somewhere for this. is it just for testing the 06 challneger or all winter testing?

i find it hard to believe that they are out distancing Ferrari considering that they have new and old cars out there at all the tracks including private testing. also i would assume that Toyota with their early launch should be above Renault.

as far as engine failures- i agree with Neilap - that this is just a part of testing and teams naturally exploring the limits of their engine.
Old 17 Feb 2006, 17:30 (Ref:1525197)   #9
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
just read a story on it at f1-racing live web site but i cant post a link to it...

wow, really surprised by this, hopefully it pays off for them.
Old 17 Feb 2006, 18:19 (Ref:1525228)   #10
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I'm not surprised.
Old 17 Feb 2006, 18:56 (Ref:1525248)   #11
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
granted its not shocking, but i just thought that it would have been Toyota. just becasue of the combination of the early rollout and (this is just an assumption) but i always figured Toyota outspent Honda in F1 and thought they would have ended up with more milage.
so yes i found it surprising
Old 17 Feb 2006, 21:12 (Ref:1525343)   #12
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its just that on a given day Honda does more miles than the rest of the teams present. They get more miles in 3 days than others get in 4. Usually both drivers do close to or over 100 laps. That is a result of reliability!
Old 17 Feb 2006, 21:15 (Ref:1525345)   #13
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Perhaps this is the best way to limit testing. Mandate severe unreliability.
Old 17 Feb 2006, 21:19 (Ref:1525348)   #14
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada

i applaud your cost cutting techniques Dutton!