Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 7 Aug 2003, 14:19 (Ref:682027)   #1
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Pork pie safety hazard

It's official. the most hazardous substance known to marshal, is not methanol, not brake fluid, not the chemical they put in thunderbox toilets. It's actually the deceptively humble pork pie!

Ken Watts proved this conclusively at Castle Combe last Saturday. We all cowed in fear when he removed his pie from it's safety enclosure (bag) during a break just prior to a classic FFord race. So noxious was the pie that he was forced to spit it out before serious poisoning ensued.

Within minutes, the pie attracted an incident, and rather scarily the car involved came to rest with the nose of the car less than two inches from the remains of the pie.

Be warned - these pies are lethal and should not be taken to race circuits!!
Old 7 Aug 2003, 14:21 (Ref:682031)   #2
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Must have been a (Tyre) Walls Pie then!
Old 7 Aug 2003, 16:15 (Ref:682093)   #3
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
It only works on Ken. In Ireland, there's nothing more dangerous than a guy called Paul Keating with a flask of hot water and a tea bag - especially at a Rallycross! Here's the proof

However, I thought it was now official that Ken (and any of his BTCC posse) were to be searched for evidence of savoury pastries of any kind before being allowed on post? I think you need to lodge a complaint to your observer......
Old 7 Aug 2003, 16:26 (Ref:682099)   #4
Malc's
Racer

England
Nottingham
Malc's should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can confirm that Sainsbury's pork pies or any pork pie bought from then have been decalared safe. I have eaten hundreds of them to get my figure and not one has yet to cause an incident. (Did I really say that when I am going to Donington on Sunday.............)

Last edited by Malc's; 7 Aug 2003 at 16:26.
Old 7 Aug 2003, 16:28 (Ref:682103)   #5
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Would you want to pat Ken down for secuirty?

Neither would I
Old 7 Aug 2003, 17:43 (Ref:682141)   #6
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, the pork pie problem is well known, and I have seen it happen many times. I can also confirm that opening the wrapper on a Yorkie bar causes a harmless spin (the marshal in question opened it only after hesitating several times, but upon finally deciding to go for it the response was instant). Finally a Toffee Crisp once caused simultaneous spinning at Rockingham, where the post was between two sections of track and affected the car on each side.

Suffice to say, I vet all foodstuffs eaten on my post during sessions, and pork pies are banned while the track is live, except when the CoC is passing.

Anyone have any other banned substances?
Old 7 Aug 2003, 18:11 (Ref:682158)   #7
Jez
Rookie

England
Leicester, England
Jez should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Noxious packed lunches at Combe!! I thought that was Dave Wass' department!!
Old 7 Aug 2003, 21:11 (Ref:682275)   #8
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Woolley
Anyone have any other banned substances?
YES !!!!!!!!!!! MrsCrazyStu anywnere near Flying Freds !!!

Formula Fords to the uninitiated!!!
she looks at them, they fall off!!! (record is 14 in ONE incident!!) and the I/O thought I was joking when I warned him about what would happen the following day when SHE turned-up!!

We've all done the "open coffee, oh God they've gone off" but some things/people are just more dangerous. Who else can have more Incidents in a Top Paddock than the rest of the Hill has during a weekend???

Anyone else want to marshal with her.......???

PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 7 Aug 2003, 21:36 (Ref:682306)   #9
Pike
Racer

Pike should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I`ve marshlled with Mrs Crazystu and enjoyed it - despite narrowly missing the wheel off the mini!!! Any novices - this is the place to go to get experience!!!!
Old 7 Aug 2003, 22:20 (Ref:682362)   #10
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Pike
I`ve marshlled with Mrs Crazystu and enjoyed it - despite narrowly missing the wheel off the mini!!! Any novices - this is the place to go to get experience!!!!
sorry Pike, but SHE can't remember anyone being on post with her!!! Shows just how much of an impression you make Pike !!
Old 8 Aug 2003, 00:16 (Ref:682444)   #11
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

All things considered, I'd take Mrs.Stu over Ken's Pork pie any day. Well, any day that Formula Fords aren't racing by the sounds of it.....

Mind you, if I hungrily tucked into Mrs Stu during a lunch break, I'd imagine that would cause .... er ..... multiple accidents
Old 8 Aug 2003, 00:18 (Ref:682446)   #12
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Jez
Noxious packed lunches at Combe!! I thought that was Dave Wass' department!!
I think they have professionals in to do that now
Old 8 Aug 2003, 08:00 (Ref:682589)   #13
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Well I'm delighted to inform you that "Mr. Tea" will be at Oulton this weekend for the BSB - so best suggestion....... NO HOT DRINKS!

Oh and never underestimate the power of cigarette magic - doesn't cause incidents usually cos I'm a good girl and don't smoke during racing..... but it's very persuasive at getting cars out of assembly!
Old 8 Aug 2003, 15:24 (Ref:682968)   #14
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Snapper Baz is THE man to ask about Pork Pies. Best I don't say any more, I want to live another week or two....
Old 8 Aug 2003, 20:21 (Ref:683243)   #15
G Tanner
Racer

England
Weston-super-Mare
G Tanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps the Pork Pies should have a warning notice on the back of the wrapper along the lines of,

Warning
Pork Pies can be Dangerous
Despite the organisers taking all reasonable precautions, unavoidable accidents with dodgy pork pies can occur. Please comply with marshals instructions, they are concerned with your safety.

There, that should sort it.
Old 11 Aug 2003, 07:33 (Ref:684729)   #16
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I'm trying to visualise 'marshalling' a pork pie. Not a pretty thought
Old 11 Aug 2003, 07:53 (Ref:684748)   #17
Stevespurr
Veteran

Stevespurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why not get pork pies to marshall they dont need breaks there are millions of them what more do we need.
Old 11 Aug 2003, 11:24 (Ref:684890)   #18
neil_davidson2
TT Photo Of The Year Winner - 2009 & 2010
Veteran

England
Swindon, UK
neil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridneil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think if you're going to deploy a pork pie during a session then it's only fair that you should display the wrapper during the green flag lap.
Old 11 Aug 2003, 11:36 (Ref:684907)   #19
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
"Scramble the Pork Pies"
Old 11 Aug 2003, 11:48 (Ref:684920)   #20
scorch
Racer

England
scorch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have found that some pork pies are so dangerous that they pose a hazard away from race circuits.

I was minding my own business eating my lunch when I took one bite out of a pork pie.. and the machine next to me caught fire
Old 11 Aug 2003, 12:29 (Ref:684956)   #21
jonbryant
Veteran

England
Horsham, West Sussex
jonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep. Here we have proof that you're all mad. Pork pies indeed.

Works with Scotch Eggs too...
Old 11 Aug 2003, 12:55 (Ref:684992)   #22
SkyDigital
Rookie

SkyDigital should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have seen long-range buffet-sized Pork Pies tested quite comprehensively during a night touring car meeting at Silverstone a couple of years ago. Every time our snatch truck driver at Bridge ate one, Becketts got an incident! It was starting to get dark, tuscan's were out next. Snatch truck driver thought he'd best hang on until they got to us before 'playing' the last pie. So he waited, ate and then....RED FLAG!!! Several cars off at Beckets!
Old 11 Aug 2003, 13:31 (Ref:685029)   #23
neil_davidson2
TT Photo Of The Year Winner - 2009 & 2010
Veteran

England
Swindon, UK
neil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridneil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by jonbryant
Yep. Here we have proof that you're all mad. Pork pies indeed.

Works with Scotch Eggs too...
I've heard a theory that any pork-produce will provide the (un)desired effect - e.g. Sausage rolls, bacon butties etc.

The quality also plays a big part. For example a supermarket own-brand is likely to take a long time to work and may often be a dud. Whereas a bite out of a full-on Melton Mowbray will result in an instant pile of debris even in a desert. (See Scorch's post for an example!)
Old 11 Aug 2003, 17:42 (Ref:685264)   #24
SJC-214
Racer

SJC-214 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ginster pasties worked at Anglesey as well
Old 11 Aug 2003, 18:50 (Ref:685363)   #25
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by EvilPumpkin
In Ireland, there's nothing more dangerous than a guy called Paul Keating with a flask of hot water and a tea bag - especially at a Rallycross!
It also works in England, he was at Oulton for the BSB and his post had the most incidents over the whole weekend.