Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 25 Sep 2005, 13:02 (Ref:1415927)   #1
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Brands Hatch Race thoughts

Well, that was the first ever race - and a dominant performance from Brazil. In some ways a bit dull though, the first corner was good and close, but then the top cars just drove away...

Other thoughts?
Old 25 Sep 2005, 13:06 (Ref:1415929)   #2
TheMong
Racer

United Kingdom
Hants
TheMong should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i thought it was ok could have been better but i think the feature race will show better racing and also enjoyed no adverts in the race...not like f1....
Old 25 Sep 2005, 13:07 (Ref:1415930)   #3
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
one word

BORING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I hope this gets better
Old 25 Sep 2005, 13:09 (Ref:1415932)   #4
Az
Racer

England
UK
Az should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus
one word

BORING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I hope this gets better
Oh dear, doesn't sound good. I was at Brands yesterday and was expecting a cracking race.... seems it hasn't turned out that way?

I wish I had Sky to watch it though
Old 25 Sep 2005, 13:11 (Ref:1415934)   #5
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
well it could have been better , just lack of action and overtaking , you could have just been watching an F1 race
Old 25 Sep 2005, 15:13 (Ref:1415989)   #6
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
well it could have been better , just lack of action and overtaking , you could have just been watching an F1 race
Except they were racing on a fantastic circuit.

Not sure how the cars will look on a sterile F1 track.
Old 25 Sep 2005, 15:53 (Ref:1416012)   #7
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Was very worried after the sprint (thought something more boring than F1 had been invented!)...but feel more optimistic after the feature race.

The ability for nations to just change their drivers should work very well for driver rotation, and I see that as the best feature of the championship as it continues...almost VIP style hopefully.

It's a good start, not startling, but good.

Be nice since Team GB of course, already the championship winners in a way for having provided the engines and cars made sure the Team GB entry isn't the one that breaks down!
Old 25 Sep 2005, 16:17 (Ref:1416027)   #8
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Oaksnaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You have a selected amount of time to use the boost buttons, but they increase HP by 30 hp. The aim, to promote overtaking or to push away in the lead on the first lap etc.

3 Main things from my point:
1) rollover
2) retirements
3) Battle for 3-10th
Old 25 Sep 2005, 19:59 (Ref:1416171)   #9
speedy2
Rookie

speedy2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
just a couple of thoughts, why was the driver involved in the accident at paddock bend not wearing a 'hans device' ?,

I would have thought if A1 was serious, safety would be first ?

and what overtaking was there, I have seen more in any single GP2 race this year ?

even the last F3 at Modello had more passing.....

they may be loud and colourful, but the end they are old technology and F3000 Lola's at that.

I would say they are the big brother of another formula, Palmer audi and look where that is now...boost button and all...

I remember the first year of Cart cars coming to Brands and the crowd was just as big, the acid test is the second or third years....where is Cart now?

the problem is there really is no point to it, it's not one thing or another, GP2 has a reason...F3 has a reason...A1 has no reason.

If anyone thinks this is going to challenge F1, they must be on 'acid' all the hype in the world counts for nought, if the racing has no purpose,

The only people making money are the Teams running them and the 50 paid drivers.....

Sorry to be negative, but just 'cause some rich guy thinks it's a good idea, do we all have to follow like sheep,

Bernie sleep well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 25 Sep 2005, 20:17 (Ref:1416201)   #10
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy2
just a couple of thoughts, why was the driver involved in the accident at paddock bend not wearing a 'hans device' ?,

and what overtaking was there, I have seen more in any single GP2 race this year ?

they may be loud and colourful, but the end they are old technology and F3000 Lola's at that.

I would say they are the big brother of another formula, Palmer audi and look where that is now...boost button and all...

I remember the first year of Cart cars coming to Brands and the crowd was just as big, the acid test is the second or third years....where is Cart now?

the problem is there really is no point to it, it's not one thing or another, GP2 has a reason...F3 has a reason...A1 has no reason.

If anyone thinks this is going to challenge F1, they must be on 'acid' all the hype in the world counts for nought, if the racing has no purpose,

The only people making money are the Teams running them and the 50 paid drivers.....

Sorry to be negative, but just 'cause some rich guy thinks it's a good idea, do we all have to follow like sheep,

I saw the accident at Paddock and was near where the car landed and the driver WAS wearing a HANS as mandated by the rules (which are on the A1 website).

The CART crowd was no where near the crowd today with regards to numbers. CART didn't come back because of the crowd figure but because CART went bust and the new owners (OWRS) wanted to keep the established races and cut out the newer ones to save money.

A1 is not meant to challenge F1 as A1 happens during the off season. F1 is about the driver, A1 is about the Country. All racing has purpose, number one is to entertain the fans.

I think you are one of those who don't like anything new or change. A1 is great idea and I hope it will suceed
Old 26 Sep 2005, 11:40 (Ref:1416793)   #11
plonkey
Racer

plonkey has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:

Gee whiz, that was constructive. Pessimism at its best.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 15:54 (Ref:1417018)   #12
gravel_monkey
Veteran

England
widnes
gravel_monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

sorry to say this but i cant see the point in your rant. again your comparing this to f1 and it just isnt. the lack of passing in the sprint is because as someone mentioned there were no t-cars at the event so if something happened in the sprint the team was screwed. there was quite a lot of overtaking but if you were watching on tv they concentrated on the front cars as usual. as you state only the teams and paid drivers make money, the teams have shed out for the franchise and run hardly no sponsors so prize money that has been put up by the shieke is much appreciated and as well the drivers are actually unpaid and the only money they get is from a share of the winnings if they have a deal with the team. NOW THIS ANNOYED ME.............what do you mean no hans device, rewind your tape and watch as you can see one of the guys from the safety car holding the drivers helmet and the hans device with it, do you really think the drivers would be out in them cars without one!!! safety has been looked a seriously in this as look at the car after the roll, hardly any debris flying everywere, all the tethers on the tyres worked briliantly and the driver didnt have a mark, i think they all did great!!!!!
Old 25 Sep 2005, 22:12 (Ref:1416335)   #13
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
or a v8 supercar race
Old 25 Sep 2005, 13:23 (Ref:1415937)   #14
liamoohay
Rookie

liamoohay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think the drivers for the sprint race has no reason to take any chances if they want to start the car for the feature race.

perhaps there will be more action in one hour's time.
Old 25 Sep 2005, 13:24 (Ref:1415938)   #15
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
The racing was always going to be the acid test, wasn't it? Pretty much everything else is great. I'd imagine drivers were saving their boost button for the main race and that, together with the pit stops, may liven things up a bit.

Piquet is beginning to look a bit special, though.
Old 25 Sep 2005, 13:41 (Ref:1415945)   #16
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy mole
The racing was always going to be the acid test, wasn't it? Pretty much everything else is great. I'd imagine drivers were saving their boost button for the main race and that, together with the pit stops, may liven things up a bit.

Piquet is beginning to look a bit special, though.
I was surprised there was only accident (Holland hit by Sout-Africa(?)) during the first lap.

If I am correct:
Sprint race: 4 power boosts
Main race: 8 power boosts
Old 25 Sep 2005, 13:55 (Ref:1415950)   #17
chevron
Rookie

chevron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe the South African team will wake up and put Alan van der Merwe in the car.
Old 25 Sep 2005, 14:02 (Ref:1415956)   #18
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I didnt think the race was that bad, but it could have been a lot better too. A lot of the lack of action IMO comes down to the track, Brands is a fairly narrow circuit and the corners are quite smooth and flowing, not ideal for overtaking opportunites. Im thinking the feature race will be much better.
Old 25 Sep 2005, 15:03 (Ref:1415980)   #19
RSportRacer
Racer

United Kingdom
Silverstone
RSportRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Race 2 !

Brazil another win, Austrailia 2nd

What was Adam Khan thinking of holding up others when he is a lap behind??
something deffo needs to be done to even out the ability levels

DAMM shame GB's engine 'cut' out during the safety car!

very impressive from Mexico to 3rd
Old 25 Sep 2005, 15:40 (Ref:1416002)   #20
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSportRacer
What was Adam Khan thinking of holding up others when he is a lap behind??
something deffo needs to be done to even out the ability levels
He wasn't holding anyone up. He was on the pace of the leaders - remember he was 4th before the pit problem set him behind. He was the shock* of the day, he never showed this pace in Formula 3B but he OWNED Parente today.

* except for Halliday, who was mesmeric. Forget Jos coming from penultimate to 7th, he came from last to 4th...
Old 25 Sep 2005, 16:06 (Ref:1416019)   #21
flexible-flyer
Veteran

Northern Ireland
the british isles/ireland/ze vorrrld
flexible-flyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14
He wasn't holding anyone up. He was on the pace of the leaders - remember he was 4th before the pit problem set him behind. He was the shock* of the day, he never showed this pace in Formula 3B but he OWNED Parente today.
as i understand it (as the commentators told us), he was 2 laps BEHIND germany and 3 laps behind the leaders and germany were clearly much quicker and being held up big style. adam was weaving all over the place and directing him onto the grass on every straight. havent got a clue why he wasnt blue flagged....that is of course if he actually was all those laps behind at all...
Old 25 Sep 2005, 16:44 (Ref:1416051)   #22
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexible-flyer
as i understand it (as the commentators told us), he was 2 laps BEHIND germany and 3 laps behind the leaders and germany were clearly much quicker and being held up big style. adam was weaving all over the place and directing him onto the grass on every straight. havent got a clue why he wasnt blue flagged....that is of course if he actually was all those laps behind at all...
He was some laps behind but he was not slower than the cars behind. They were hardly all over him. And as I said he was 4th early on - he did not get there through being slow. If he had been holding anyone up he would have been flagged as you say.
Old 25 Sep 2005, 16:51 (Ref:1416053)   #23
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Oaksnaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14
He was some laps behind but he was not slower than the cars behind. They were hardly all over him. And as I said he was 4th early on - he did not get there through being slow. If he had been holding anyone up he would have been flagged as you say.
Well he was holding up Timo who was being backed into Duran. When Timo got by and drove away from Kahn, Kahn chopped and weaved in front of 3rd placed man Duran, who in result to being chopped lost time to Kahn and then spent the rest of the race defending.

All in all Kahn should have gotten out of everyone's way, but he didn't and almost cost Duran 3rd place.
Old 25 Sep 2005, 15:04 (Ref:1415981)   #24
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Brands - Feature Race thoughts

Well, that was much better. Very close racing, and in part thanks to the pitstops and Safety Cars a nose-to-tail battle for the lead.

Pity that GB ended up breaking down whilst in the lead otherwise Piquet would have had 2 cars to pass, but still a very good race.

Good to see everyone involved in the scary shunt at Paddock Hill walked away too, a good test of the strength of these cars.
Old 25 Sep 2005, 15:10 (Ref:1415986)   #25
RSportRacer
Racer

United Kingdom
Silverstone
RSportRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hmmm Will Power doesnt look very impressed on the podium
also why is he wearing a jacket over his suit, surely he cant be old