Old 9 Nov 2009, 11:16 (Ref:2578835)   #126
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardRenes View Post
Hmm... I am sure I have pics somewhere of the 3 years a1 went to zandvoort. 100.000 spectators on average over the 3 years.
one country is'nt enough to support an international series.

And even in Holland TV ratings dropped after season 1.

and if Holland had a F1 race A1 would'nt have as many spectators.

Last edited by steve nielsen; 9 Nov 2009 at 11:26.
Old 9 Nov 2009, 15:07 (Ref:2578966)   #127
csirl
Subscriber
Racer

csirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the nation v nation concept worked. The A1 failures are more down to the management of the series than the concept.
Old 9 Nov 2009, 16:45 (Ref:2579024)   #128
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
I think there also where to many unknown drivers, if you want it to be the world cup you need the best drivers in the world.
Old 9 Nov 2009, 17:38 (Ref:2579054)   #129
ASRoma
Rookie

ASRoma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The nation vs nation concept was/ is working. No doubt about that.. If anything, the first race at Zandvoort was the definite proof of the concept.. The big error made was wrong people in key spots of the organisation and the Ferrari deal.. Zytek and Lola would have been perfectly able to bring the old car to the same specs of the new car. The old A1GP 3.4 litre Zytek engine had at least 100 hp still in it and Lola could have come up with a good high downforce car easily.

The lure of Ferrari simply was too big and A1 took the bait.

I agree with you.

For sure A1 needed a more performant car close to F1 performances to get he status of a "professional" series.

But the development and cost of the ferrari car has been ridiculous.

During season three, Lola and Zytek made a proposal to update the cars. They would have changed the engines to the lmp1 engine, which has about 750 hp with no restrictors, and lola was supposed to deliver an aero packae worth 4 seconds a lap. The total cost of that would have been around 100'000 euros per car for around 6 seconds per lap, and this is without changing tyres...

The should have rather spent 3 millions in this than get the ferrari deal...
Old 9 Nov 2009, 18:44 (Ref:2579088)   #130
Mak
Veteran

Mak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASRoma View Post
I agree with you.

For sure A1 needed a more performant car close to F1 performances to get he status of a "professional" series.

But the development and cost of the ferrari car has been ridiculous.

During season three, Lola and Zytek made a proposal to update the cars. They would have changed the engines to the lmp1 engine, which has about 750 hp with no restrictors, and lola was supposed to deliver an aero packae worth 4 seconds a lap. The total cost of that would have been around 100'000 euros per car for around 6 seconds per lap, and this is without changing tyres...

The should have rather spent 3 millions in this than get the ferrari deal...
Was not the development or cost of new chassis (which was not Ferrari) or engines that sunk the ship. It was the stupid naming rights which killed A1 and TT's ego to have Ferrari badged on his shirt!! Series should have gone on with zytek engines/support and even the new chassis would not have caused a problem. This to would have come inside the 3 mill. Another year as it was would have been best to continue its development and actually prove it could make a profit and build up tv coverage and support. TOO LATE NOW!!!1

Last edited by Mak; 9 Nov 2009 at 18:49.
Old 9 Nov 2009, 21:41 (Ref:2579179)   #131
Roninho
Racer

Roninho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The nation vs nation concept was/ is working. No doubt about that.. If anything, the first race at Zandvoort was the definite proof of the concept..
No, imo the race at Zandvoort proved that you can sell out an event if you go race at a venue where the locals are motorsportfans (tens of thousands of dutch people went to the belgium gp the years before) and you bring local heroes (Hello Jos Verstappen and Jan Lammers) and have a big tv-network (rtl) promoting their broadcast.

A1 went to Germany and it was no succes. I'm absolutely certain i can promote a succesfull event in Germany if Schumacher is added to the race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mak
Was not the development or cost of new chassis (which was not Ferrari) or engines that sunk the ship. It was the stupid naming rights which killed A1 and TT's ego to have Ferrari badged on his shirt!! Series should have gone on with zytek engines/support and even the new chassis would not have caused a problem. This to would have come inside the 3 mill. Another year as it was would have been best to continue its development and actually prove it could make a profit and build up tv coverage and support. TOO LATE NOW!!!1
Even worse, A1 actually payed a huge premium (not just a couple of million, way more) just to have the Ferrari name, even though many car manufacturers actually pay racingseries mega-$ just to have their name on the engine cover (see Honda in Indycar).
Old 10 Nov 2009, 02:37 (Ref:2579278)   #132
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think A1 would work because it was running in countries or regions where F1 is not held, at time when F1 is having its winter break.

Places like South Africa, Mexico, New Zealand, Holland, Zhuhai, Brands Hatch, Indonesia, Dubai...etc. I thought that was the concept. Top class single seater racing that markets itself away from F1. If it had stuck to it then it would have survived.

I think A1's team and driver concept is really weak also. OK, it is about which country is best, but even in the World Cup (football), there is a Golden Ball for the best player and a Golden Boot for the top scorer and fans love these individual awards.

Every sport needs a personality, F1 is Schumacher, Golf is Tiger Woods, Soccer is Messi, Basketball is Kobe Bryant, Rallying is Loeb, MotoGP is Rossi...etc. A1GP has no face/personality.

The driver who scored the most points in a season should be given a Golden Wheel or something, then maybe another award for a driver who makes the most overtaking moves, Golden Gloves?
Old 10 Nov 2009, 04:03 (Ref:2579289)   #133
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asa View Post
Golden Gloves?
Golden Throttle pedal?

Because I see conspiracy theories everywhere I can't help but remember who introduced A1GP to Ferrari in the first place....
The grey dwarf is clever enough to have worked this from behind the scenes and used TT's own stupidity against him, and in the process make sure A1GP never becomes a worthy compettitor to the holy Grand Prix series of his...

TT was very stupid to turn what could've been a great winter series (Tasman Trophy for the 00's anyone?) into a bankrupt pile of nothingness...but I can't help but see someone behind the scenes jacking up the price for engines etc and manipulating everything to remove potential competittion before it properly arose.

Still, I believe any single seater that races in the northern hemisphere's winter should be sucessful just because of the lack of the compettition out there from November-March. Even the Australasian series (NZ/Aussie V8 Supercars, various F3 championships, etc) race through their winter so there is almost literally nothing else on.

Maybe Himself wanted that particular idea for the GP2 Asia/Speedcar package, but that didn't exactly set the world on fire either....
Old 10 Nov 2009, 07:57 (Ref:2579353)   #134
Mak
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by codename_47 View Post
Golden Throttle pedal?

Because I see conspiracy theories everywhere I can't help but remember who introduced A1GP to Ferrari in the first place....
The grey dwarf is clever enough to have worked this from behind the scenes and used TT's own stupidity against him, and in the process make sure A1GP never becomes a worthy compettitor to the holy Grand Prix series of his...

TT was very stupid to turn what could've been a great winter series (Tasman Trophy for the 00's anyone?) into a bankrupt pile of nothingness...but I can't help but see someone behind the scenes jacking up the price for engines etc and manipulating everything to remove potential competittion before it properly arose.

Still, I believe any single seater that races in the northern hemisphere's winter should be sucessful just because of the lack of the compettition out there from November-March. Even the Australasian series (NZ/Aussie V8 Supercars, various F3 championships, etc) race through their winter so there is almost literally nothing else on.

Maybe Himself wanted that particular idea for the GP2 Asia/Speedcar package, but that didn't exactly set the world on fire either....
Nice theory, but I think TT managed to screw this one up all on his own..
Old 10 Nov 2009, 09:14 (Ref:2579379)   #135
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Another problem of course with a world series for TV is of course while one half of the world is at the races,the other half is asleep,we had good TV coverage here but it was on at 2-4am on a Monday morning.
Old 10 Nov 2009, 12:36 (Ref:2579473)   #136
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
10-4, I think that is the most logical argument against IndyCar's plan to race in China. Unless the sanction fee is huge and the sponsors do business there, the hit you take on exposure is not worth disrupting the schedule.
Old 10 Nov 2009, 18:09 (Ref:2579652)   #137
Mak
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
Another problem of course with a world series for TV is of course while one half of the world is at the races,the other half is asleep,we had good TV coverage here but it was on at 2-4am on a Monday morning.
Asia, Austaralia and NZ are ahead so it would be late Saturday night, early Sunday morning, so not so bad... Mexico, Americas behind.
Old 11 Nov 2009, 10:47 (Ref:2580052)   #138
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, it's known that (specially South) Americans have to suffer that all Eastern Asia and Oceania races will be shown at late night on hours like 2AM or 4AM. It seems that motorsport doesn't consider us as well as Europeans.
Old 11 Nov 2009, 14:19 (Ref:2580141)   #139
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Mekola,

Have you ever been to Curitiba in Brazil?

Thanks, Andy
Old 13 Nov 2009, 13:48 (Ref:2581386)   #140
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nope.
Old 25 Nov 2009, 08:01 (Ref:2588876)   #141
markw63
Rookie

United Kingdom
milton keynes
markw63 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After the recent quiet spell is there anymore info on whether A1 is now officially dead or will it re-surface?

Does anyone know what is happening with the new factory they were/are building at the Autodromo do Algarve in Portugal?
One of the operations guys said it was underway at the beginning of this year but i never saw anything being built on my last couple of visits.
Old 25 Nov 2009, 17:57 (Ref:2589124)   #142
rychard
Rookie

rychard has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Mark, I've been trying to get info on that.

But get this, I was told all the old xars were stored at the new facility .... but someone else (quite close to A1) told me A1GP owns nothing near the track.
Old 25 Nov 2009, 22:01 (Ref:2589250)   #143
dave not neil
Racer

England
dave not neil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old cars were held near to Oxford I believe, and the current cars at Dunsfold.
Old 26 Nov 2009, 10:15 (Ref:2589552)   #144
markw63
Rookie

United Kingdom
milton keynes
markw63 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am a regular to the area with some work interest there, i havent seen anything around the track other than the residential building work. I was told by someone well up in the organization that physical work had started!
Old 26 Nov 2009, 11:25 (Ref:2589603)   #145
Francis Albert
Racer

Francis Albert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The last thing I heard about that, form someone who should know what is going on, was that it was indeed their plan to move to the track in Portimão but that it would not be going ahead for a year or two.

This was early in the summer though, and as we all know a few things have changed since then...
Old 26 Nov 2009, 18:24 (Ref:2589801)   #146
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave not neil View Post
Old cars were held near to Oxford I believe, and the current cars at Dunsfold.
Aren't the old cars now in the hands of Auto GP/Euroseries 3000?
Old 28 Nov 2009, 17:57 (Ref:2590876)   #147
dave not neil
Racer

England
dave not neil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not all of them.
Old 7 Dec 2009, 03:34 (Ref:2595234)   #148
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
So most of the current cars are held perilously close to the Top Gear studios.
Old 7 Dec 2009, 22:22 (Ref:2595766)   #149
Juarez Jed
Veteran

Juarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJuarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They would certainly liven up the celebrity challenge.....if they had engines
Old 10 Dec 2009, 08:22 (Ref:2597146)   #150
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
And the latest news: IMG has already pulled out of A1GP:

http://a1.gpgrid.com/2009/12/08/img-...arketing-deal/