Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 3 Mar 2007, 16:38 (Ref:1857233)   #1
SurfaceUnits
Racer

SurfaceUnits should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hope for Canuckistan TV?

Canadian TV Possibility:

Quote:
Scott Moore is now head of CBC sports. Interesting, that he ran the Edmonton race, the last couple of years. Edmonton was a colaboration with CC and the organizers.

Scott and his wife Becky have both worked on several past CART/Champ Car races. Scott has done a lot of Production stuff for CTV and CBC Olympic coverage. He lives out here on the west coast as he moved out here from Toronto about 3 years ago. Very cool guy and both he and Becky LOVE Champ Cars.
Old 3 Mar 2007, 23:55 (Ref:1857492)   #2
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've never understood why CBC doesn't show CC. They don't have anything else going on. The whole purpose of the network is to showcase Canada and Canadian talent. For some reason they take that to mean that 1/3 of their broadcasting should be shows from the UK. CC has had a significant contribution made by Canadian drivers and it has by far the most Canadian race content of any high level racing series. Therefore it makes perfect sense that CBC should show CC.

I think we should all write them a letter. I just did. They probably get so few that it may actually make a difference. Link to do so: http://www.cbc.ca/contact/index.jsp

Last edited by Snrub; 3 Mar 2007 at 23:58.
Old 4 Mar 2007, 00:16 (Ref:1857516)   #3
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Here's what I wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snrub
I would like to strongly petition the CBC to broadcast the Champ Car auto racing season this year. The series is currently without a Canadian Television package for 2007, so the opportunity still exists.

The purpose of the CBC is to showcase Canada and Canadian talent. Champ Car racing has had a significant contribution made by successful Canadian drivers in an international arena. It has produced such Canadian icons as Paul Tracy, Jacques Villeneuve, Greg Moore, Alex Tagliani, Patrick Carpentier and Scott Goodyear. Andrew Ranger is a talented up and comming racer who's career is only limited by his country's support.

The Champ Car series has by far the most Canadian race content of any top level racing series and in the past has created significant season long ratings, when reasonably Canadian TV coverage was available. I do not think it is unreasonable to state that Champ Car racing has more Canadian and international significance than many of the other sporting events currently broadcasted by the CBC.

I sincerely believe that Champ Car provides a significant contribution to national pride, unity and business revenue.
Old 4 Mar 2007, 01:11 (Ref:1857558)   #4
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yeah, but if CBC picks it up we'll have to listen to Brian Williams going on and on and on. Just like we used to with F1. Spare me.

keke
Old 4 Mar 2007, 02:47 (Ref:1857601)   #5
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerkeke
Yeah, but if CBC picks it up we'll have to listen to Brian Williams going on and on and on. Just like we used to with F1. Spare me.

keke
Better than nothing though, albiet this is grasping at straws.
Old 4 Mar 2007, 17:36 (Ref:1858048)   #6
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Hopefully they'd just copy ESPN's coverage. I cannot comprehend why Brian Williams has a job. Albeit he's not nearly as painful if he has some idea of what the sport is about (racing and the olympics are not his areas of expertise).
Old 5 Mar 2007, 00:14 (Ref:1858552)   #7
extreme
Rookie

Canada
Edmonton, AB
extreme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a note:

Brian Williams works for TSN now. So perhaps the only way not to hear Brian Williams is to have it on CBC...

I used to enjoy the coverge of CART on CBC, espically the late night replays.
Old 5 Mar 2007, 02:49 (Ref:1858588)   #8
Boro
Racer

Boro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snrub
I've never understood why CBC doesn't show CC. They don't have anything else going on. The whole purpose of the network is to showcase Canada and Canadian talent. For some reason they take that to mean that 1/3 of their broadcasting should be shows from the UK. CC has had a significant contribution made by Canadian drivers and it has by far the most Canadian race content of any high level racing series. Therefore it makes perfect sense that CBC should show CC.

I think we should all write them a letter. I just did. They probably get so few that it may actually make a difference. Link to do so: http://www.cbc.ca/contact/index.jsp
yup.. just like any olympic coverage.

drives me NUTS
Old 4 Apr 2007, 13:24 (Ref:1883375)   #9
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So RDS is showing the race from 8:30 to 10:30. Nothing doing for TSN, Speed, or Global.

FFS 3 races here and no TV coverage. Might as well start watching Napcar
Old 4 Apr 2007, 13:36 (Ref:1883382)   #10
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
It's kind of wierd, I get Bell ExpressVu and there is a channel called "TSN" and another called "TSN-S". TSN-S doesn't show anything most of the time. However, both IRL races this year have been shown on it. What exactly is this channel and is it possible that CC races will be on it?

I hadn't heard the phrase NapCar, not bad.
Old 4 Apr 2007, 14:45 (Ref:1883409)   #11
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Doesn't matter. It's live on NBC, so we'll get the Speed feed/announcers.

BTW, that alternate TSN station is used when they have scheduling conflicts. The UEFA Champions League game is on that station today so they don't have to interrupt curling on the regular station for it.

keke
Old 5 Apr 2007, 16:13 (Ref:1884253)   #12
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerkeke
Doesn't matter. It's live on NBC, so we'll get the Speed feed/announcers.
But a lot of the other races during the season are on ESPN or ESPN2.
Old 8 Apr 2007, 17:37 (Ref:1886530)   #13
mirwin
Racer

mirwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CBC would be fantastic, it's the only channel I get.
Old 14 Apr 2007, 14:28 (Ref:1891104)   #14
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Read in the paper (TO Star) this morning that 'The Score' will be broadcasting the other events not shown on the National networks.
Glad it's not TSN. They have the IRL currently and are showing the races anywhere from midnight to 3am.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 14 Apr 2007, 15:53 (Ref:1891146)   #15
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
What is "the score?"
Old 14 Apr 2007, 18:19 (Ref:1891257)   #16
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
http://www.thescore.ca/
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 14 Apr 2007, 23:53 (Ref:1891460)   #17
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bad news for those of us who were expecting to watch the race on NBC's detroit affiliate WDIV, as of today they dont have the race scheduled instead they have paid programming showing on their listings.

We'll see what happens...
Old 15 Apr 2007, 21:18 (Ref:1892500)   #18
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Channel 57 I think, on Rogers. Its mostly shows analysing various sports, plus it runs a continous ticker covering most major sports
Old 22 Apr 2007, 17:55 (Ref:1897835)   #19
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
It's 54 on Shaw in Vancouver. And not in ANY print listings I've seen, but I dug around until I found it. It is on Shaw's on-screen listings.

Looks like they will be televising all the Canadian races -- got this off the Score's web site.

# April 22 – 3pm (ET) – Reliant Park, Houston, Texas
# May 20 – 11pm (ET) – Road Course, Zhuhai, China
# July 1 – Time TBA – Circuit Mt. Tremblant, St. Jovite, Quebec
# July 8 – Time TBA – Exhibition Place, Toronto, Ontario
# July 22 – Time TBA – City Centre Airport, Edmonton, Alberta
# July 29 – 5pm (ET) – Street Course, San Jose, California
# September 2 – 1:30pm (ET) – Assen Circuit, Assen, Holland
# September 9 – 1pm (ET) – Zolder Circuit, Zolder, Belgium
# October 21 – 5pm (ET) – Street Course, Surfers Paradise, Australia
# November 11 – 2pm (ET) – Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez, Mexico City, Mexico

VCR revved up and ready.
keke
Old 22 Apr 2007, 21:03 (Ref:1897987)   #20
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
What, so there's no network Canadian coverage of the Canadian races?!?! That's insain. Those races always pull in good ratings!

I'm going to have to see if ExpressVu can show "The Score," otherwise I'm only going to be watching 4 or so races this year!!!

How to kill what's left of the Canadian fan base...
Old 23 Apr 2007, 13:56 (Ref:1898594)   #21
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
without checking, if its not on NBC or The Score, then I'm sure one of the main channels will be picking it up
Old 23 Apr 2007, 14:22 (Ref:1898612)   #22
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yesterday's race was on Score. Some (most?) TV guides do not show Score's
listings. It is on Bell Express Vu and I expect Star Choice. I cannot remember the channel #.
Between ESPN's running summary and The Score's constant running tape at the bottom a good % of the screen was blocked. They also had basketball run over so picked up the race 3 laps in and never showed what happened.
Maybe it was me but it seemed to be one of the worst productions I have seen for along time.
Old 23 Apr 2007, 14:46 (Ref:1898630)   #23
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
I found the sound quality pretty dismal... or maybe I'm still deaf from Long Beach!

Shaw has Score as part of the enhanced cable package (one step higher than TSN/Speed) but not all print listings include it. The Vancouver Sun's TV listings do (I mean the ones you get with the Friday paper), but they're usually incorrect.

But I agree, to come in at lap 3 and later have drivers refer to "what happened on the start" without being able to find out what actually happened, that's just maddening.

keke
Old 23 Apr 2007, 16:15 (Ref:1898692)   #24
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Add to that I got a blank screen at the end with a notation 'poor picture quality' a couple of times. I use the Toronto Sun guide and they only list Score programs after 7pm in their prime time guide. They have a Motorsports section under their sports listing but the race was not listed there.
I own a retail store that is open Sun. and I do not get the guide until Sun. evening so unless I can find the listing elsewhere it is difficult to set up the tape.
At least Score showed the race. TSN had Motegi listed for noon on Sat. but showed nothing but basketball from noon till 5.