Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 12 Dec 2010, 23:10 (Ref:2803527)   #601
Danny_GT2
Veteran

Ireland
Lucan, Ireland
Danny_GT2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Félix View Post
My take on the R18 in 2010 livery (since everyone seems to like it). With the fin in yellow .

Silver & black saves it from looking like Ronald McDonald's car ! Joke, nice job!
Old 13 Dec 2010, 00:27 (Ref:2803548)   #602
EverOne
Racer

Spain
Madrid
EverOne has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Can you made this car with R10 livery style?
Old 13 Dec 2010, 00:44 (Ref:2803555)   #603
tkelland
Rookie

tkelland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I quite like the idea of two car teams using "inverted" liveries. Take the black carbon fiber with white writing currently on the "unveiled" chassis. If that were to be one livery, the other car would be white with black writing. For three cars, they would just have to add one more color to the mix. All three cars must be identifiable as "Audi's" to the untrained and uninformed viewer but becomes much easier to spot which car is which on TV when a small mirror or number on the side pod tends to be less easily observed.
Old 13 Dec 2010, 00:47 (Ref:2803556)   #604
gucom
Racer

gucom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
^that would be brilliant! dunno what the third colour would be, but white and black sounds great!
Old 13 Dec 2010, 01:31 (Ref:2803568)   #605
tkelland
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gucom View Post
^that would be brilliant! dunno what the third colour would be, but white and black sounds great!
As much as I'm sure many of us (I definitely would) would be ecstatic to see the black and white on the car as is, this was just an example. I highly doubt Audi would do so when race time comes (even though it looks great on some of their DTM cars and makes this R18 look menacing). I'm willing to take a shot and think the predominant colors will be Silver, Black and Red as in recent years. However, a mostly black car, a mostly red car and a mostly silver car would be fantastic.
Old 13 Dec 2010, 07:25 (Ref:2803642)   #606
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp_olifer View Post
Some quick render of how it may look with the full livery... with some inspiration from Badger.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink
Well now , first atempt and already a better looking livery than a works Audi proto ever , ever had !!!

Thank you and well done Olifer ..... brings back some memories .
Old 13 Dec 2010, 12:41 (Ref:2803797)   #607
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Knighty? Don't panic. No one mentioned a test mule, did they? We shall wait for the RACE team launch.

Meantime, 4 black things, and 4 silver things, absolutely cock on... Take a pound out of the till. Give yourself a pat on the back, you win Employee of the Month.
Old 13 Dec 2010, 12:46 (Ref:2803800)   #608
Mockenrue
Racer

United Kingdom
Chippenham, Wiltshire, UK
Mockenrue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 13 Dec 2010, 12:48 (Ref:2803802)   #609
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As with most unveilings, it teases me to see a vehicle for the first time in all black....the R18 looks pretty damn mean in black. A yellow top and fin would be utterly ridiculous.

Looking forward to meeting (part of) the fleet in person in 2011!
Old 13 Dec 2010, 14:48 (Ref:2803864)   #610
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
As with most unveilings, it teases me to see a vehicle for the first time in all black....the R18 looks pretty damn mean in black. A yellow top and fin would be utterly ridiculous.

Looking forward to meeting (part of) the fleet in person in 2011!
I'll second that! It looks so good in black, no matter what the livery ends up being it will be a little disappointing.
Old 13 Dec 2010, 18:49 (Ref:2803978)   #611
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Horsepower and torque figures—or any figures, for that matter—were not released by Audi, but we are told to expect the horsepower figures to stay somewhat close to the 650 hp the 5.5L V10 produced, while torque numbers are expected to come down drastically from the 1200 lb-ft the V10 generated.

It was suggested that the V6’s horsepower and torque figures could be very close to each other, while the RPM limit—just over 5000 on the V10—could rise to over 6000 on the 2011 TDI engine. Turbo boost pressures are also expected to rise significantly, possibly bringing back the much loved wastegate ‘chirp’ that has been lost during the last decade of sports car competition.
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...e-audi-r18/P2/

Would be suprised if that HP figure is correct.
Old 13 Dec 2010, 18:52 (Ref:2803979)   #612
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
This must be one of THE ugliest closed proto's ever build! These LED headlights make it look like a spider. And then this steep windshield, broad nose section and to top it all of, the ugliest aerodynamic 'aid' ever to disgrace a car i.e. this ridiculous fin...

I sincerely hope this car is not gonna win any big races. The pics in the historybooks would be appalling.

All imho ofcourse.
Old 13 Dec 2010, 19:59 (Ref:2804010)   #613
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTfour View Post
This must be one of THE ugliest closed proto's ever build! These LED headlights make it look like a spider. And then this steep windshield, broad nose section and to top it all of, the ugliest aerodynamic 'aid' ever to disgrace a car i.e. this ridiculous fin...

I sincerely hope this car is not gonna win any big races. The pics in the historybooks would be appalling.

All imho ofcourse.
If your biggest objection is the fin, I assume you're holding out for a GTE winner? Otherwise, you're going to be SOL, mate.
Old 13 Dec 2010, 20:07 (Ref:2804013)   #614
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk View Post
If your biggest objection is the fin, I assume you're holding out for a GTE winner? Otherwise, you're going to be SOL, mate.
Nope, definetly not just the fin. The whole car. It'd better have some sexy livery...
Old 13 Dec 2010, 20:21 (Ref:2804023)   #615
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
This must be one of THE ugliest closed proto's ever build!
How about Daytona Prototypes?
Quote:
the ugliest aerodynamic 'aid' ever to disgrace a car i.e. this ridiculous fin...
The fin is primarily a safety aid.
Old 13 Dec 2010, 20:52 (Ref:2804034)   #616
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have the R18 as my wallpaper, doesn't take long before the fin just becomes another aspect of the car, like how we no longer notice the raised ride height introduced in 2004.
Old 13 Dec 2010, 21:34 (Ref:2804055)   #617
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I would love to see photograph of a driver's eye view.There can't be much of a field of view between the front wheel fairings and it would be limited at the top of the screen as well.What would the door mirrors actually permit to be seen?
Old 13 Dec 2010, 21:41 (Ref:2804060)   #618
Félix
Veteran

MagnetON
Québec
Félix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFélix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

All imho ofcourse.
I agree that there is something wrong with the car's boxy shape. It's not exactly the flowing line you would come up with if you were designing a pretty prototype on paper. It's a big like a DP where the regulated right angles and closed-up front make them look bad. The Aston Martin might fare better in that respect since it's gonna have to fit smaller elements in a sleaker package if it wants to stand a chance at LM.

The R18's big rectangular vertical light cluster is also not helping it at all. I messed around with the left light and dressed it like the factory R8 from the good old days:
Old 13 Dec 2010, 21:44 (Ref:2804061)   #619
Félix
Veteran

MagnetON
Québec
Félix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFélix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 in workshop View Post
I would love to see photograph of a driver's eye view.There can't be much of a field of view between the front wheel fairings and it would be limited at the top of the screen as well.What would the door mirrors actually permit to be seen?
I read (probably in M Pruett's write-up) that they've been having problems with visibility because of windscreen shape....

Welcome to Coupé-Land Audi! You're gonna wish you'd bolted a roof on the R15 for Sebring (maybe)!!!
Old 13 Dec 2010, 22:45 (Ref:2804085)   #620
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
The R18's big rectangular vertical light cluster is also not helping it at all. I messed around with the left light and dressed it like the factory R8 from the good old days:
I have to admit I prefer the full light cluster to the reduced one. The less area the lights take up, the more obvious the size of the front wheel arch becomes.
Old 13 Dec 2010, 23:27 (Ref:2804099)   #621
tkelland
Rookie

As much as we can all discuss aesthetics on this car, clearly Audi has absolutely gone with function over form. The R15 had severe headlight issues at LM and they fixed it (to some extent, at least) on the R15+. As long as the headlights are shining the appropriate amount of light in the necessary positions, I don't see the team caring too much about what they look like.
Old 13 Dec 2010, 23:33 (Ref:2804101)   #622
EverOne
Racer

Spain
Madrid
EverOne has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:

I LOVE THAT LIVERY!
Old 13 Dec 2010, 23:47 (Ref:2804108)   #623
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 in workshop View Post
The R8/10/15's have all given the drivers great peripheral vision, as evidenced by some of the fantastic drives through traffic we have seen (McNish and TK immediately come to mind). Some of the in car footage I have seen from the Lolas and Peugeots, particularly Sebring and LM24 at night, show just how little vision the drivers have. The R18's, from these early release shots and footage, appear to have even less, but we can probably expect to see quite a few cosmetic changes to the cars before they hit the track in competition.
Welcome back to the world of coupes, AMcN, TK, Dindo and co.
With the livery, the colors on each of the cars will vary anyway, for the team to differentiate.
Old 14 Dec 2010, 02:11 (Ref:2804166)   #624
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Davidson had few issues with racing with McNish in traffic at Silverstone. I think that the mirrors are of utmost importance, closed or open car.

The big difference is that Audi has run a curved windshield like on the Bentley Speed 8, while the 908/90X share an optically flat windscreen. However, neither are 100% perfect for visibility, just like on GT cars.

Still, those who are good in traffic will still be good in the closed cars.
Old 14 Dec 2010, 03:29 (Ref:2804180)   #625
cdsvg
Racer

Australia
cdsvg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...e-audi-r18/P2/

Would be suprised if that HP figure is correct.
He mentions an increase in boost - isnt boost already limited by the rules?