Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 21 May 2012, 15:32 (Ref:3077323)   #1
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Lesser-known viewing spots

I'm just watching the 2011 DVD on my day off and I'm trying to find new spectator areas to visit at the race this year.

This thread isn't intended to cause trouble. I know full well you can't spectate on the Mulsanne (legally).

What interests me more is in and around the Porsche Curves and the run down to the Ford chicane.

Firstly has anyone ever watched the race from where this lot are?

I think it is on top of the pits at the karting track. It looks like an amazing unobstructed view of the cars exiting 'Corvette Corner' and the run down to the pits. Can you get there by walking through Karting Nord?

I've seen its also possible to spectate on the outside of the track just before this on the exit of Porsche Curves. Do you have to head into Maison Blanche?

One final one.

I've seen people/pictures from people standing on the outside of Indianapolis. Do you have to 'know a guy' to access this spot?

Maybe people know of other spots or have questions of their own.
Old 21 May 2012, 17:29 (Ref:3077371)   #2
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
The viewing area at arnarge at one time stretched around the corner some way but was cut back several years ago, the first part of the indie straight can be viewed as you walk from the car parks at mulsanne towards the corner but not aware of any other viewing area's on the outside of the track between the two viewing area's of mulsanne and arnarge
Old 21 May 2012, 18:12 (Ref:3077388)   #3
Kpy
Veteran

Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
I'm just watching the 2011 DVD on my day off and I'm trying to find new spectator areas to visit at the race this year.

This thread isn't intended to cause trouble. I know full well you can't spectate on the Mulsanne (legally).

What interests me more is in and around the Porsche Curves and the run down to the Ford chicane.

Firstly has anyone ever watched the race from where this lot are?

I think it is on top of the pits at the karting track. It looks like an amazing unobstructed view of the cars exiting 'Corvette Corner' and the run down to the pits. Can you get there by walking through Karting Nord?
Access is through the Alain Prost Karting circuit. I'm not sure if they limit access.
Quote:

I've seen its also possible to spectate on the outside of the track just before this on the exit of Porsche Curves. Do you have to head into Maison Blanche?
Yes, just walk along the general enclosure on the outside of the track until you get there.
Quote:

One final one.

I've seen people/pictures from people standing on the outside of Indianapolis. Do you have to 'know a guy' to access this spot?
You need a marshal's pass specific to the post on the outside of the corner, or a resident's pass for the track which leads to the post. The public have no access, so the only way there is to dodge the controls.
Old 21 May 2012, 18:17 (Ref:3077389)   #4
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpy View Post
Access is through the Alain Prost Karting circuit. I'm not sure if they limit access.
Cool thanks for the info. I think I read in the CA guide that sometimes there is a steward at the kart track asking five euros for admission.

I've seen shots in the morning where there's literally two or three people stood on there. It's not actually part of the circuit confines so in theory I don't think you have to have a ticket. But not 100 per cent on that.
Old 21 May 2012, 19:09 (Ref:3077410)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Cool thanks for the info. I think I read in the CA guide that sometimes there is a steward at the kart track asking five euros for admission.
If that's true, I'd be happy to shell out for that view.....
Old 21 May 2012, 19:13 (Ref:3077417)   #6
NelisB
Veteran

Netherlands
Deventer
NelisB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
If that's true, I'd be happy to shell out for that view.....
Hell even 10 euro's would be a bargain :P
Old 21 May 2012, 19:17 (Ref:3077422)   #7
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
a few years ago we could watch there for free! was around 22.00 hours on saturday
Old 21 May 2012, 19:17 (Ref:3077423)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quite true.
Old 21 May 2012, 19:43 (Ref:3077433)   #9
NelisB
Veteran

Netherlands
Deventer
NelisB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobster View Post
a few years ago we could watch there for free! was around 22.00 hours on saturday
So what's the easiest way to get there? Walk down to beausjesour on the inside of the track or go around the outside and take the tunnel under the track at the beausjesour campsite?
Old 21 May 2012, 19:45 (Ref:3077435)   #10
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
walk from the village behind the pits towards the karting, passing the campsite on your way.
Old 21 May 2012, 21:30 (Ref:3077482)   #11
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
It's quite a hefty walk but I'm assuming you can walk all the way down past the VIP grandstands and eventually you'll make it to there.

Seems to be a cracking place potentially for snaps and also action when you consider it was right there we saw all the crazy manoeuvres from the lead P1s last year, not to mention a fair few HUGE moments from RML/AF Corse etc.
Old 21 May 2012, 22:17 (Ref:3077508)   #12
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
The mini train runs past the entrance to the kart track? I like the shots I got from when we camped in Maison Blanche. It was a 50 yard stroll from the tent to Porsche Curves/Corvette. From there you could see the paler concrete block where the 908 tried to get onto the old track.
Take a ride up on the big wheel. All sorts of angles from up there.
Old 21 May 2012, 22:21 (Ref:3077511)   #13
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
It was a 50 yard stroll from the tent to Porsche Curves/Corvette. From there you could see the paler concrete block where the 908 tried to get onto the old track.
So to get to that spot do you have to go through the campsite main entrance for Maison Blanche? Is that on the main road?
Old 21 May 2012, 23:06 (Ref:3077530)   #14
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
From opposite the pits, just walk past the wheel and bungee nutters, and keep going. You end up inside MB campsite. IIRC they checked our tickets. I bloody hope so, as I had a tent etc in there.

As for 'unusual' spots. If you see a guy lying down at the start of the pit straight, it's only me. GREAT photo spot.

Off the Ferris Wheel

Inside of the course, at Foret S. It's a STEEP climb, mind the razor wire that's around the place... Would I have liked to be here for McNish's shunt? No, thanks. TOO scary for a while. The tyre marks are visible top left.

There are loads more... Use your eyes, and brain. You'll find ones I don't know about!
Old 22 May 2012, 18:29 (Ref:3077940)   #15
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I love that ferris wheel shot Tim
Old 22 May 2012, 18:36 (Ref:3077948)   #16
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
I agree with Ayse that shot from the wheel is something special Tim
Old 22 May 2012, 18:39 (Ref:3077953)   #17
lemansfan
Veteran

Germany
westernmost District of Germany
lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!
Can you please tell us something about the Camera Settings from this Shot .
Old 22 May 2012, 18:42 (Ref:3077958)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Tim can say but it's clearly a pretty short exposure as shown by the limited travel on the tail lights on the straight - but it would have to had to be closed down a fair bit to get that depth of field - all I can say is that it must have been an impressive (and I suspect expensive) piece of glass in front of the camera body!

Actually, the same goes for the Audi shot - obviously reasonably short exposure as the car is so crisp - but then, so is everything else in the shot.....
Old 22 May 2012, 20:39 (Ref:3078033)   #19
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
I have the shot from the wheel on my to do list for this year but want to make it when it's dark with a longer shutter time.
Old 22 May 2012, 21:43 (Ref:3078063)   #20
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Should be easy enough to do. They let in people, turn the wheel a little, let more people in etc. Should be plenty of time to do a long shutter between moving!
Old 23 May 2012, 17:02 (Ref:3078383)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
But you will need no movement at all - and you might want a monopod at least - a tripod would be better..... Unless you have a very fast lens, of course.
Old 23 May 2012, 17:57 (Ref:3078401)   #22
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
When they let in more people in the other seats, the ferris wheel is not moving. So let's hope there's a bunch of octogenarians getting in, you have plenty of time to take a picture with a long shutter time!!!!

In the ferris wheel you don't need a mono/tri pod: just lay your camera on the side of the gondola and keep it still: you'll be allright!
Old 23 May 2012, 18:52 (Ref:3078429)   #23
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
Tripod and fast lense will be in my bag of photoequipment so should be ok!
Old 23 May 2012, 19:25 (Ref:3078451)   #24
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincegail View Post

In the ferris wheel you don't need a mono/tri pod: just lay your camera on the side of the gondola and keep it still: you'll be allright!
I'm not so trusting... Not that you'd get me up in a ferris wheel anyway - I get vertigo going upstairs to bed every night......
Old 23 May 2012, 19:51 (Ref:3078468)   #25
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thought about the Ferris wheel trip last year, it's a definite for this.