Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 10 Mar 2005, 13:25 (Ref:1248526)   #1
Frank_White
Racer

Frank_White should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peter Sauber Expresses Great (albeit understated) disappointment in JV!

A transcript of an interview can be found here: -

http://www.planet-f1.com/news/story_18836.shtml

If JV form continues I doubt that he makes it to (much less past) Bahrain.
Old 10 Mar 2005, 13:35 (Ref:1248532)   #2
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I don't know about JV being dumped before Bahrain, but it's pretty clear that Peter Sauber's cheesed off; and, on Villeneuve's performance at Melbourne, one can hardly blame him.
Old 10 Mar 2005, 13:44 (Ref:1248536)   #3
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
This is harsh, Frank.. Peter Sauber seems much more disappointed in the car than Jacques. In fact, he says he'd rather not comment on Jacques' performance until he knows more.
Old 10 Mar 2005, 13:57 (Ref:1248544)   #4
Frank_White
Racer

Frank_White should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He seems much more dissapointed in JV than the car. Please note I am not bashing Jacques. But Peter Sauber has not identified a car problem as being the explanation for JV's lack of pace incomparison to Massa.

In fact he says; "I really can't explain the difference, which is a big one at that. It's actually bigger than it seems. For the start, and after the first pit stop, Felipe Massa was driving with a heavy fuel load – in contrast to all the other drivers, who made two pit stops, Massa was driving with a one-stop strategy."

For the sake of amusement (NOT maliciousness), I am simply making a prediction that JV will not last beyong the next 2 races.

In fact Matt Bishop from Autosport Online says this;

"Jacques Villeneuve manages to be slow and wild (not a good combination for a racing driver, by anyone's lights). He reminds me of late-vintage Jean-Pierre Jarier.

So...listen up, ol' Pete. When you get back to Hinwil, get out your copy of JV's contract and start reading. If you can find a clause that says he should be other than slow, and/or other than wild, then bite the bullet and get rid now. In his place, hire Davidson or Wurz or any one of half a dozen other more deserving (and quicker, and less wild) cases. You (now) know it makes sense."

As they say, "THE WRITING IS ON THE WALL"!
Old 10 Mar 2005, 14:05 (Ref:1248552)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
How did those two cars perform in the last GP?

Those last few laps of being lapped ddin't help.
Old 10 Mar 2005, 14:18 (Ref:1248561)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This is a difficult situation for Peter. He's got JV on a 2-year contract which is surely an expensive one, and a lot of the attention and sponsorship the team has recieved is directly due to having a big name in the car. However, as it stands that is beuing cancelled out by his performance, which really wasn't impressive at Melbourne. It's unusual for a team boss to publically criticise a driver after his first race for them - in fact it's unusual for Peter to say anything much.
Old 10 Mar 2005, 14:21 (Ref:1248565)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I imagine Jacques Villeneuve will see out the season, and that will then be it.
Old 10 Mar 2005, 14:22 (Ref:1248566)   #8
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
That's interesting, though, JV was generally quicker than Felipe - right until the final stop when his times thereafter were all over the place. Was there a reason for that? Intermittent car fault?
Old 10 Mar 2005, 14:26 (Ref:1248570)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14
That's interesting, though, JV was generally quicker than Felipe - right until the final stop when his times thereafter were all over the place. Was there a reason for that? Intermittent car fault?
The first stint was fairly even, especially after the first few laps. During JV's second stint he was quicker than Massa because Massa was carrying more fuel. Massa stops a few laps after JV, but then Massa didn't stop again. See how his times continue to improve all the way to the end. The final third of the race, JV is very erratic - I'm guessing it is because he was being lapped.

Last edited by Adam43; 10 Mar 2005 at 14:27.
Old 10 Mar 2005, 14:27 (Ref:1248573)   #10
speedbump
Racer

Canada
Toronto
speedbump should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think JV should be given 3 races before passing such harsh judgment.
I read the artical and Peter Sauber has no comment till all the data is gathered.
I like that, he's not jumping to conclusion.
It does bother me when it read that JV isn't saying much.
That leads me to believe that JV was more of a problem then the car and grip.
It took JV 3 races before he did something at Renault.

Having JV on your team does bring a lot of attention.
Which is very positive.
In the short term having JV is positive for the team.
But if his performance doesn't improve that attention will turn negative very fast
Old 10 Mar 2005, 14:40 (Ref:1248583)   #11
speedbump
Racer

Canada
Toronto
Great Chart Adam.
JV was consistant with Messa's lap times if not better.
Just by looking at the chat the race looks ok.
After the second stop it does get ugly.
The softer tire compound ?
Old 10 Mar 2005, 15:09 (Ref:1248609)   #12
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where can we find those raw lap time stats?
Old 10 Mar 2005, 15:16 (Ref:1248614)   #13
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
JV lost 10 places in the race, Massa gained 10. Other statistics mean very little. And don't say "most of JV's lost places were on the first lap", because he looked all at sea on that first lap, losing most of the places in combat rather than off the line.
Old 10 Mar 2005, 15:20 (Ref:1248616)   #14
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would imagine PS is worried that RBR have already scored points and look in better shape than Sauber to score a fair few more, this could have heavy financial implications for next year.

Looking at the early laps, surely it makes Massa look more impressive, he was matching JV despite a much heavier fuel load and being mired amongst the backmarkers?
Old 10 Mar 2005, 15:31 (Ref:1248623)   #15
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_White
He seems much more dissapointed in JV than the car. Please note I am not bashing Jacques. But Peter Sauber has not identified a car problem as being the explanation for JV's lack of pace incomparison to Massa.

In fact he says; "I really can't explain the difference, which is a big one at that. It's actually bigger than it seems. For the start, and after the first pit stop, Felipe Massa was driving with a heavy fuel load – in contrast to all the other drivers, who made two pit stops, Massa was driving with a one-stop strategy."

For the sake of amusement (NOT maliciousness), I am simply making a prediction that JV will not last beyong the next 2 races.

In fact Matt Bishop from Autosport Online says this;

"Jacques Villeneuve manages to be slow and wild (not a good combination for a racing driver, by anyone's lights). He reminds me of late-vintage Jean-Pierre Jarier.

So...listen up, ol' Pete. When you get back to Hinwil, get out your copy of JV's contract and start reading. If you can find a clause that says he should be other than slow, and/or other than wild, then bite the bullet and get rid now. In his place, hire Davidson or Wurz or any one of half a dozen other more deserving (and quicker, and less wild) cases. You (now) know it makes sense."

As they say, "THE WRITING IS ON THE WALL"!
Hmmmm, I rather see "HYPOCRITE BASHING!" on that wall...
Saying 'Oh no, I'm not bashing anyone!' but doing just that in the very same post is very, uhm how should I call it.... ah yes! Hypocritical!

Now I'm not saying that Jacques' drive was fantastic, or good even, but to crucify him, burn him and drag the remains through mud after the first bloody race is absurd to say the very least!

I should've known, nothing changes here...

Last edited by ASCII Man; 10 Mar 2005 at 15:32.
Old 10 Mar 2005, 15:35 (Ref:1248625)   #16
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbump
Great Chart Adam.
JV was consistant with Messa's lap times if not better.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean? They are similar (at least for some of the race), but consistent with? As they were on different strategy I don't think they can be consistent?
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbump
After the second stop it does get ugly.
The softer tire compound ?
Possibly, although the quickest lap comes right near the end. If the tyres had gone off, I would expect a generally slowing rather than inconsistency. Unless the driver was over-driving (which would compound the problem). I think the last stints inconsistency is down to JV being lapped.

Generally, I agree talk of getting rid of JV early in the season is wide of the mark. Peter Sauber hasn't said anything like that really.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Testure
Where can we find those raw lap time stats?
Buy 20 stop watches and...
There are one or two places that lap times are available, but AtlasF1 have a great results service. Subscribe to it or Autosport to get access.
Old 10 Mar 2005, 16:14 (Ref:1248647)   #17
speedbump
Racer

Canada
Toronto
Ok Adam you got me.
Your analyses is thorough.
A took a more general view.
The first stink looks even, except for some spikes.
With different fuel loads JV should have been faster with the lighter load and being pushed by Alonso
It is more obvious in the second stink.
The first run should have looked more like the second run.

Massa was consistant. Improving as fuel dropped.
Old 10 Mar 2005, 16:52 (Ref:1248699)   #18
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
JV stated that the car was undrivable after the 1st stop, mostly due to to the softer tyre compound he chose. The graph clearly is consistent with that (thanks for that Adam). Despite managing a few better lap times later in the race, those drivers on the harder compounds (including Massa) were clearly faster. I'm not sure why JV chose the softer tyre, perhaps a gamble that the softies could be quick and last the entire GP if he managed them properly.
Old 10 Mar 2005, 17:04 (Ref:1248724)   #19
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I foresee a great career for you as a political spin doctor Kirk.
Old 10 Mar 2005, 18:24 (Ref:1248810)   #20
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Maybe the Michelins might not like cooling down and warming up again. Trulli developed a blister on his rear tire after his stop:
http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=79377

Perhaps Jacques had a similar problem. Anyone know if Trulli was also on the soft tyres?

Last edited by Inigo Montoya; 10 Mar 2005 at 18:26.
Old 10 Mar 2005, 18:25 (Ref:1248813)   #21
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
No spin, but reality. JV admitted his mistake and apologised to his fans. A summation of his day... and I QUOTE .....
"The race was another story, I did not get any front grip in the first few laps and I lost many positions. After this, my car did not have enough downforce and I struggled to keep the pace with the rest of the field. I had soft tyres on and I think it clearly wasn't the right choice. The car was moving a lot and after the first pit stop - it was just too slow. It was a very bad race for me and I felt pretty bad for my fans and the people who are supporting me. "

As for the Peter Sauber. His post race interview was a succinct one and imo was summed up in one question/answer:
"Q. Your new driver, Jacques Villeneuve, has failed to convince yet. How do you assess his performance?

" I'm reluctant to make a judgment. It was the first race of the season, and on top of that an extremely unusual race –and not just for Sauber Petronas. In fact, only one team lived up to expectations, Renault. Another team, Red Bull, far exceeded everyone's expectations. And then there were some teams that turned in very disappointing performances, especially BAR-Honda."
Old 10 Mar 2005, 18:29 (Ref:1248816)   #22
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think we need to wait and see how Sepang pans out for Sauber, JV and others - teams will have learnt a lot about tyre performance in Melbourne, the heat of Sepang will be a greater test of them.
Old 10 Mar 2005, 18:45 (Ref:1248833)   #23
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Fair enough Kirk. But, I would also like to point out that part of being a good race driver is helping to set up the car and choosing the correct tires.

And you cannot ignore this quote from Mr. Sauber either:

"Q: So you can't tell us why the Canadian's fastest lap was almost a second slower than teammate Felipe Massa?

PS: I really can't explain the difference, which is a big one at that. It's actually bigger than it seems. For the start, and after the first pit stop, Felipe Massa was driving with a heavy fuel load – in contrast to all the other drivers, who made two pit stops, Massa was driving with a one-stop strategy."
Old 10 Mar 2005, 18:56 (Ref:1248840)   #24
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
"It's actually bigger than it seems" are probably the key words. Instead of diffusing the situation PS has made his disappointment very clear.
Old 10 Mar 2005, 19:28 (Ref:1248861)   #25
Xpunk75
Racer

United States
Detroit
Xpunk75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I have been watching Formula 1 since 1988 and have watched drivers Rise and watch them fall and its a hard thing to watch especially if there your favorite driver. Not everyone has the ability to stay fast in a Formula 1 car till there 38 like Nigel Mansell and im sure as the cars become faster and more complicated with gadgets and buttons on the steering wheel that the age in which you stay competitive is falling off.

Nelson Pique, Jean Alesi, eddie ervine, Damond Hill, even Mika Hakkinen all lost the edge eventually and im sure more have that im not namming. I think that JV lost the edge for racing sometime during those 5 years of racing with BAR and though his year off from motor sports has set of a signal in his head that racing is part of his life, its not just that simple to turn it back on again. When you start ahead of David Coulthard and he can have a better start then you in the Red Bull car powered by cosworth and hang on too a fourth place finish while in the mean time you loose ten places and hold up most of the field behind you is not a very good showing since he did the exact same thing last year in a competitive Reno. I believe if Massa would have started fourth he would have finished in the points and thats what my expectation were for JV. I miss JV on podium and I miss him battling at the front and i geuss i just have to realize his time as a competitive driver ended the day he signed that BAR contract. Maybe JV has the same problem as Alain Prost where if he doesnt have a competitive car he doesn't try at all but i can't bring myself to think that JV would be like that. All I do know is that Peter Sauber put alot faith in him and he is very dissapointed right, and if JV doesn't pick up his race speed he will be out at the end of the season if the sponsors he brought dont stick around. It seems to me that his qualifying speed is good and was good last year its his race pace that lacks and unfortunately for him thats what matters the most.

Ofcourse there is always Champ Car for JV.
Closed Thread