Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Mar 2001, 07:21 (Ref:74685)   #1
f1ciamp
Rookie

f1ciamp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

it looks like Ferrari does have traction conrol after all.
from www.formula1.com
"Ferrari have cleverly exploited a loophole in new regulations introduced at the beginning of this season to produce a system which legally controls wheelspin.

The new rules implemented by the FIA stated that the maximum time allowed for a gear change in 2001 would be 200 milliseconds. In theory, this would curtail the possibility of using a traction control system because if the rules could stipulate the time the throttle and clutch were governed by electronics, it would limit the ability to replicate traction control via engine mapping.

But the FIA did not know that last year Ferrari had developed a gearbox that could change a gear in an astounding 30 milliseconds. Crucially, they did not set a minimum time for each gear change."

According to F1 Racing, this means that Ferrari's electronics have 170 milliseconds in which to legally control wheelspin, as it can be argued that a gear change is taking place.

thid does not meen that other teams dont have sutch systems
and i dont think that is what makes the whole difference, but if sauber also have ferrari gearbox, then mybee that may explain what frenzen whas talking about!
does prost have a ferrari gear box?
Old 27 Mar 2001, 08:04 (Ref:74691)   #2
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There's a topic about this already, f1ciamp. In short:

30 ms is not 'astounding'. All F1 gearchanges are within 20-40 ms.

170 ms is hardly of any use for TC either. It leaves room for 17 retarded ignitions, which last shorter than the blink of an eye.

200 ms maximum-gearchange-time-rule is in fact an anti-TC rule.
Old 27 Mar 2001, 19:35 (Ref:74806)   #3
f1ciamp
Rookie

f1ciamp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
didnt see that one, i agree with u, thoe.
Old 28 Mar 2001, 12:15 (Ref:74930)   #4
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So Frenzy was right. Don't you all feel terrible for saying he was just dissing Ferrari?
Old 28 Mar 2001, 12:48 (Ref:74941)   #5
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No Liz. 170 ms! Wow! (I can imagine Schumacher up-shifting down-shiftting 20-40 times per corner exit to gain an effective aid ) But wasn’t Frentzen talking about Sauber anyway? Prost got a gearbox from Ferrari, but I don’t remember if Sauber did the same.
Old 28 Mar 2001, 14:41 (Ref:74967)   #6
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This supposedly brilliant gear-change thingy is introduced this year. And i do not believe that the same technology is being transfered to Sauber and Prost. Which means the reason of Sauber having excellent traction is not EXACTLY the same as Ferrari's.! Now, those who dissed about Ferrari having ILLEGAL TC should be hanging their heads down...
Old 29 Mar 2001, 02:10 (Ref:75156)   #7
papabaz
Rookie

papabaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IF Ferrari is actually using TC, I think the FIA has checked whatever system they are using over and over, especially after all these accusations, and did not find anything illigal. That leaves them with 2 options: it's legal, or it's disguised in such a way that even the FIA couln't find it. Either way it's a brilliant system!

So any comments about this by the other teams are made because they can't stand the fact that someone else found something brilliant and they don't know what it is.
When the X-wings were introduced, teams could see what they did and how they were constructed, so they just copied them. Since it's not possible to just copy this sytem, some drivers or teams start nagging like a group of footballplayers asking the referee for a yellow card.
Old 31 Mar 2001, 17:20 (Ref:75743)   #8
RedCarFab
Rookie

RedCarFab should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why, can you please tell me why the FIA would set a max on shift times. It doesn't make sense, and it has nothing to do with traction control. if this rule were true, than I driver who experiences gear box trouble in a race could possibly be disqualified because his car didn't shift fast enough. Not very logical. The article is a SILLY-SEASON rumor, and those who agree a simply dumbfounded by the performance of the Ferrari.